Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning Moonlight Moonlight Moonlight  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 282 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 465 reviews
on May 17, 2015
I love this movie solely because I saw this when I was a little girl. I had been trying to find good movies that my kids might like that isnt like most rubbish they put out today, sugar coated full of blah. Its not one of the top ones that had a bunch of singing and mushy stuff but its still good. It does have singing but its a bit different. Love all the characters and the sweet touching stuff. Its not overly done.

One big tip for those looking to purchase this movie for live stream off of Amazon instant videos. I highly doubt there is a big difference between HD and standard. I bought HD in hopes maybe they cleaned it up like most older cartoons that they say they have made into HD. It just looked like really sad and grainy quality cleared up, it looks as if nothing much was boosted up from what I remember off of VHS. Wish I could return it in a sense and just buy the standard. I feel it was more of a rip off thinking Id actually get a better quality. Just some advice for those looking to buy it for instant video.
on September 3, 2014
This is a horrible video transfer. They cropped ALOT of video from the top and bottom of the picture and you lose alot of picture as a result. The colors on this are also VERY dull and crappy looking. It looks like all they did was zoom the picture in ALOT and then cut the top and bottom from it to make it fit your TV.

If you look at the DVD and the Blu-Ray side by side, the DVD has the better video when it comes to being close to the original video and aspect. The dvd may not be HD resolution, but its not badly cropped with more picture than the Blu-Ray is giving and has good colors still.
on December 10, 2015
Doesn't get a full 5 because this is the edited version, not the VHS version that shows the full extent of Charlie being run over. Watered-down shows lose points. Like the butchered Rocko's Modern Life DVD set, which is heavily edited and not what kids of the 90s grew up with. .
on May 26, 2017
It's a classic, cute move that the whole family loves. It will appeal to any child under the age of 12 or so. It's a great story and there isn't any content you need to be concerned with.
on March 29, 2017
Great product.
on April 24, 2017
What can I say, but it's a classic that we loved when we were kids, now my kids love it too.
on April 6, 2017
Great movie boys loved it
on March 13, 2017
Interesting movie.
on April 16, 2017
loved it
on July 15, 2011
I used to have the extremely rare Widescreen Region 1 DVD release with this same cover art, but alas, idiotic me, I think I accidentally threw it out anticipating a move.

Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid! He said as he banged his head against the wall several times. Oh well. I think from now on I need to take stock of which films I'm tossing, and which films I'm keeping.

But, to the movie. It's a decent enough flick, telling of the greed and redemption of a dog living on the edge, who passes on, but steals a second chance for himself. Highly original and extremely inventive story telling, this is one of the best animated children's films with an edge for adults that I've yet to come across. Reynolds is the perfect voice for a roguish dog, and his ever faithful friend is of course played by the late Dom Deluise.

The little girl is just as endearing as the two dogs accompanying her. It's hard to believe that she got mixed up in the capers of a mutt like Charlie, but her heart of gold sees his true character before time calls him back to his ultimate fate.

Don Bluth, master character animator and former Disney veteran, creates a visual feast of a tale, and brings to life his imagery of canine antics by not only drawing key sequences, but also by directing an all star fast.

Incredible stuff. Now, if I could only find my lost dvd... dang it!

P.S. I don't know why, but at the time when I rented the VHS I felt really compelled to see it. I didn't particularly dislike the film, nor was I a huge fan of it either. But I liked the dog's adventure for what it was. But for some reason I felt really kooky and odd about having a copy of the film. I mean, I liked animation, and still do, but I'm not a big Don Bluth fan as such. And this film, despite its rough spirit, felt a little uneven for some reason. Still, it is what it is, and I can't say that I'd really reccomend it to any but the most ardent animation fan... which I am, I guess.