Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: All Facts Considered: The Essential Library of Inessential Knowledge
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ingrid Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Hardcover|Change

on October 17, 2010
You will greatly enjoy this book- but be warned that you will become a terrible pest to all those around you! "Bill, did you know that..." "Honey, isn't it amazing that..."
I can't imagine a better gift book for the holidays. Everyone will find something fascinating to learn about in this book.
This isn't a compilation of "fascinating factoids"- it is a book of "fascinating stories about unusual facts".
What? Really? "the first solar observatory was built in Germany two THOUSAND years before the Egyptians started building pyramids?! (AND nobody even knew it was there!)
-AND this book arrives just in time for the annual challenge of "how can I possibly come up with gifts for Aunt Edna, my boss, and my niece?"
on October 21, 2010
I picked this up at the book store just to flip through it during my lunch hour. But after experiencing several "gee whiz" moments (all on one page!), I had to have it. The author presents brief fact-filled writings organized into three sections: Memory and History; Reason and Science; and Imagination, Poetry and Art. There are facts, lists, histories and stories on a mind-boggling range of topics. (Did you know it takes about 450 artisans to build one Steinway concert grand piano?) Malesky's writing is lively and often humorous, making her book easy to read and fascinating. I'll be buying more copies for Christmas gifts. I hope there's a Volume II in the works.
on November 3, 2010
As another reviewer mentioned, this book is not a compendium of NPR reference questions. That might be fun to read, but could be fairly limited in scope. Instead, Kee Malesky has written a book with interesting facts about just about everything.

The book is organized into three fairly broad categories (Memory and History, Reason and Science, Imagination, Poetry, and Art). These work well, and each is further divided into subcategories which help keep related items together. Ms. Malesky even has some fun with the order of individual entries. In the chapter entitled "Links in the Chain of Being", she discusses "One God", "Two Natures", "Three Fates", "Four Truths", etc. These move from discussions of Christianity, Manichean duality, Greek mythology, Buddhism, and so on, taking the reader from one entry to the next. Too often in these types of books, facts seem to be scattered randomly, which can be a bit jarring. It's clear that a lot of thought went into the layout of the book, not just the facts themselves.

Speaking of the facts, the book includes an extremely detailed notes section (48pp long) and a comprehensive index. You can even go to the book's web site and access clickable links for all these notes. Leave it to a librarian to encourage her readers to keep exploring.

Finally, it's the nature of a book like this that some facts may be outdated by the time the book is printed. Living in California in 2010, I was especially sensitive to the entry entitled "The Cost per Vote", which lists Michael Bloomberg's $110 million as the most expensive self-financed political campaign. That record has now been broken, but that just means there will always be new facts for Kee Malesky to share with us in the future.
on July 18, 2012
This book was written by someone who works in a library
snd it is a well written trivia book that deals with facts
from different subjects that many people probably don't know about.

If you like learning about new facts and reading about trivia, then
this books for you! :)
on January 2, 2012
This is a compendium of trivia and other assorted facts from a fact checker/librarian at NPR. The book is organized into sections and has a nice flow between items, each of which gets a short, descriptive section, from 1-2 paragraphs to 1-2 pages. Some of the facts were new to me (Emily Dickinson was in fact a redhead), while others were more well known to me, particularly in the science and nature categories. The book is easy to pick up and read piece by piece and is obviously well researched with a good index. Kee Malesky's writing is fun and humorous and I enjoyed picking up some new trivia tidbits.
on June 24, 2014
This was a terrific book and I would definitely listen to 'All Facts Considered: The Essential Library of Inessential Knowledge' again. It was an eye-opener. I love learning the origin of things, their meanings and the thought and history behind things. There were several moments and facts that I particularly liked in this book. I like the meaning behind the names of Italian food. That was great. I also love the fact that quarks come in flavors! Who knew? I enjoyed Tom Dheere's performance in this book. It had nice flow and was well paced for me. Each section had a nice segue to the next. I really like the inessential knowledge. I find knowledge essential. This book was very refreshing and I would have loved to have had this when I was a kid. Good stuff!
on August 24, 2011
Book review by Richard L. Weaver II, Ph.D.

Forty-eight pages of fine-printed "Notes and Sources" will give you some idea of how well Malesky, National Public Radio's (NPRs) librarian, footnotes and offers references for the information she provides. Malesky notes, "I am not the NPR librarian; I'm one of a team of searchers who support NPR's editorial process" (p. 3).

When I first saw this book, I overlooked it on purpose thinking it was pure nonsense. That is, I thought it was for those who wanted to fill up their storehouse of useless knowledge (or succeed when playing "Trivial Pursuit") I didn't even consider reading the book much less reviewing it.

You may wonder how the facts in this book were selected. Malesky makes it very clear: "The facts in this collection have been chosen by me . . ." (p. 3). These are facts that I like or that I find useful, interesting, amazing, or worth sharing . . . " (p. 3).

In this book, there is no continuing narrative, no unifying theme (although the author uses parts ("On Memory and History," "On Reason and Science," and "On Imagination, Poetry, and Art")) and chapters) to organize her facts. As you read, however, you kind of lose sight of the over-arching subject since there are so many diverse facts discussed. The index is 20½ pages long (in small font) and includes subjects and authors. This is important in a book such as this for when you want to go back (or research) a particular section, at least you have a place to go to help you find it.

If you just want to fill your mind with facts, this is a terrific resource. For example, "The initialism LOL isn't new; it was used by librarians (and probably many other people) way before computers, to describe a certain group of patrons: "little old ladies." Now standard Internet shorthand for "laughing out loud," it has equivalents in other languages too. . . (pp. 86-87).

In her section, "The Department of Redundancies Department" (p. 88), look at the following list (she lists 22): self-censor yourself, please RSVP, 2 a.m. in the morning, PIN number, SAT test, START treaty, LCD display, ATM machine, end result, basic fundamentals, free gift, closed first, Rio Grande River, pair of twins, reason why, whether or not, hot water heater, unexpected surprise, past history, first began, enter into, and prohibition against. Delightful!

For readers interested in language, her sections, "Endangered Languages," "Euskera Spoken," "The Forest of Rhetoric," and "Mixed Metaphors" are especially interesting.

I'm not one who just wants to sit back and be entertained by a whole bunch of unrelated discussions of facts. For me, that is a total waste of my time. I would much rather read books that contribute substantially to my writing (in whatever capacity that may be). It's the "Inessential Knowledge" portion of the title that concerns me most.

I picked up this book simply because I thought there might be some juicy, relevant tidbits that I might use. I think if I were continuing to lecture to undergraduates (as I did for 22 years), there might be an example, a statistic, or an illustration that would be useful; however, being beyond that time in my life, the search would be unnecessary and pointless. I try to read books that are more relevant to my current stage of life.

This book is interesting, well-researched, and well-written. Malesky has collected a great number of facts, and if you have the patience and the interest, this book will definitely occupy your time. There are only 204 pages of text, and it reads quickly. Have fun!
on November 30, 2013
Just a bunch of miscellaneous stuff in no particular order. It would be hard to go back through the book to find a fact I wanted later. Henry Petroski does much better with this sort of thing.
on December 21, 2010
In a very pleasant style, Malesky presents a miscellany of interesting information in small bites. Nice book for reading a few pages here and a few there, although sometimes you may not be able to put it down exactly when you had planned to. Well documented and organized. When I bought it, I thought I would read it and pass it along, but after I finished it, I decided to keep it.
on November 29, 2010
This is not the type of book I read from cover to cover, you could of course, but I like to randomly select a topic.
The author writes the facts in an easy to read, easy to understand format, makes learning fun.