Lyft Industrial Deals HPC Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Thor: Ragnarok available to buy Thor: Ragnarok available to buy Thor: Ragnarok available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18SW_gno

on January 29, 2018
This one is worth reading, and then re-reading a couple times. I write this as a business owner - before you hire a publicist, before you retain an expensive agency to assist you with brand strategy, before you put pen to paper writing website or email copy - read this book.
on February 1, 2018
Nothing groundbreaking here unless you are new to marketing, but still informative and entertaining. Probably a four star book, but went up to five because Seth reads it himself. Makes it feel more sincere.
on June 18, 2014
I use this book in my graduate marketing class. The kids love it... and they should. It lays out the function and mechanics of branding with a distinct absence of professorial bulls***. I don't understand why Godin persists in calling marketers' messages LIES but if you can read around that it's a gem.
on November 16, 2016
I'm amazed at how much value I'm getting out of this little book. It's the first Seth Godin book I've read and it is inspiring and is really giving my insight into how to tell our story and who we should be telling it to. It was also a good value for the price, I think.
on August 13, 2005
I learned at least a dozen things that I believe will improve our sales performance. This book talks about marketing but I think the message is equally important for direct sales. I have made this book mandatory reading for all of my sales and marketing people.

To obtain the best results read it with a pen in hand and after each nugget write down how it could be applied to your sales message.

I found the portion about re-casting your message relative to your prospects world view particularly helpful.

We work in a complex sale with a 6 month close cycle and find that we have to craft our message to meet a few different world views depending on which people we are talking to in the organization. You may want to combine this book with Spin Selling by Niel Rackham if your sells average over 20K.
on September 23, 2015
Absolutely the best marketing book ever written. Don't let the title dissuade you.
Marketing really is this easy and the method will assist you better serve you client/customer.
Buy it and read it several times!
on October 4, 2015
I felt myself saying: "Land". As I read the book.. What I did take from it though, is to find what people are thinking and the support that thought with your marketing. Of course this can be argued as pandering but Seth also mentioned to make sure you are authentic in selling the view point. Find out what a subset of people think, check if you can stand by that viewpoint. Market to that subset of people.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Godin is very preceptive in explaining the changing consumer's drivers. We have gradually moved from a "need based" society to a "want based" society of consumers. Because we no longer buy based on need, our buying triggers have changed. If you do not accept this change, your marketing efforts will be doomed to fail.

We are constantly bombarded with messages and as a result have become very effecient at filtering out those messages that do not conform with our views of things. Goodin makes a very compelling case that your marketing effort must tell a story that fits with your targeted market's view of how things should be.

The title was choosen as an example of framing a story. It is not really about false advertising. It is about telling an authentic story that your consumer will believe.

The book is well written, easy to read and humorous.

If you are serious about developing an effective marketing strategy, you would do well to understand the concepts in this book.
on May 17, 2016
Seth does a great job of helping us to niche down to a specific market. And then telling a story that appeals to that group. We can't be all things to all people.
This was a fascinating book by Seth, where he takes his usual long view of the world and talks about how things should be and how we should shift our marketing focus and perceptions. I loved the book.