BCA Month Salon Beauty Magazine Deals Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on June 12, 2016
This was the first of Seth's books that I read. I really enjoyed this book. His concept of storytelling your product to the consumer is straight genius. It's the framework of marketing that really got me thinking about how I run my business.

What's written in the book will help your marketing mindset tremendously.
on September 14, 2013
Very thought-provoking. I'm reading it rather slowly, but find myself thinking about Seth's ideas over a longer term that way. His ideas about world views keep floating to the surface, as well as the stories we tell about products--from the ones we make to the ones we are. I'm about to start a business with my two teenaged children, and I want to market the product a certain way. It's not a dishonest way, it is just a way that highlights how this product appeals to a currently growing world view, one about pets. My kids aren't entirely comfortable with the strategy, thinking we can't tell that story unless we tell ALL the stories. I think this book will help us all get on the same page. It will certainly help educate them to how products are being marketed to them at every turn.
on March 18, 2017
Good product. Thanks.
on May 24, 2017
Received in good order
on September 25, 2005
Summary: Today's most successful marketers create compelling, authentic stories that frame their offerings. Then, instead of telling their story to everyone, they identify the consumers who deeply want a story to believe in, the story that seems like it's been created just for them.

Pros: Well-written with level-headed, actionable insight; a fun, entertaining read. Profound implications for branding professionals: the brand essentially is the story.

Cons: May be a little simplistic at times; a lot of the examples are anecdotal; if you're looking for hard, quantifiable data to support the author's thesis, you won't find it here.

The breakthrough insight for branding professionals in All Marketers Are Liars comes when Godin couples marketing with framing, a theory about cognition popularized during the 2004 US Presidential election race by UC Berkeley linguistics professor George Lakoff. A "frame" is a thought construct, or more simply, a metaphor, a way of thinking about the world. Where Lakoff applies frames to choices in the political arena, Godin connects them to consumer behavior. Essentially, frames are mental shortcuts that help us make sense of a highly complex world. We all carry around dozens and dozens of frames in our mind at any time: Republican, father, mother, opera lover, Manchester United fan, designer, gamer, CEO, doctor, policeman, Californian, consultant, Dead Head, athlete, student, dieter, coffee drinker, Buddhist, film buff and so on. Many of these frames are just sweet little lies that we tell to ourselves in order to imbue life with some sense of meaning.

When we consider a frame like soccer mom, we may conjure thoughts of married women who are busy raising families full of young children, perhaps shuttling their kids to and fro in SUVs. Godin suggests that in order for a brand to hit the mark with its target consumers, the story enveloping the brand must fit the frame. Messages intended for soccer moms are likely to be ignored by hardcore NASCAR fans, unless of course the mom also likes swilling beers down at The Brickyard. Messages that don't fit a particular frame simply will be ignored. Godin's argument is that only authentic stories -- that is, stories that are true to the frame they're targeting -- will ever have a chance of making it into a consumer's consciousness. In other words, only certain stories will ever spark a consumer's attention.

Once the consumer notices the brand, then the story must ring true; true to the frame though not necessarily to reality. Whether or not the story is actually true, in a raw, forensic sense, is irrelevant. If the story doesn't fit the frame, it will not pass into the consumer's mind. If it doesn't penetrate his mind, forget about the branding. Think about a keyhole: only a key of the proper size and shape will fit and open the lock. A frame is like a keyhole. Since the essense of branding, as Walter Landor once suggested, is to create a preference in the customer's mind, the study of the mechanics of framing may be useful knowledge for branding pros to acquire. Find the story that fits the frame. After all, marketers don't choose the frames, consumers do.

In a sense, Godin's book slyly suggests that in the marketplace it's the consumers who are the liars, and successful marketers are just the ones who help them believe their own fibs. Now, isn't that the truth.
on February 19, 2010
Good storytellers have an amazing gift. They can make people believe what they want them to believe. People turn to storytellers in the times of need and want. It comforts them to reinforce their own ideas, their values and their beliefs. In this book, Seth Godin tries to explain that how successful marketers unleash this power for the purposes of marketing in the new world order. As he categorically states that he "lies" when he titled his book "All Marketers are Liars". In fact it is all of us who are the liars and chose to believe the stories of the marketers and then in turn lie to ourselves.

This book is a great read and I would highly recommend to everyone. With compelling collection of cases studies and stories, it relates to each one of us whether you are a marketing professional or not. It doesn't matter if you are selling soap, car or your services at a job interview; Marketing is key to success.

This book will make your think and help you tell your story in a way that fits other people's worldview.

[...]
on October 4, 2015
I felt myself saying: "Land". As I read the book.. What I did take from it though, is to find what people are thinking and the support that thought with your marketing. Of course this can be argued as pandering but Seth also mentioned to make sure you are authentic in selling the view point. Find out what a subset of people think, check if you can stand by that viewpoint. Market to that subset of people.
on November 16, 2016
I'm amazed at how much value I'm getting out of this little book. It's the first Seth Godin book I've read and it is inspiring and is really giving my insight into how to tell our story and who we should be telling it to. It was also a good value for the price, I think.
Godin is very preceptive in explaining the changing consumer's drivers. We have gradually moved from a "need based" society to a "want based" society of consumers. Because we no longer buy based on need, our buying triggers have changed. If you do not accept this change, your marketing efforts will be doomed to fail.

We are constantly bombarded with messages and as a result have become very effecient at filtering out those messages that do not conform with our views of things. Goodin makes a very compelling case that your marketing effort must tell a story that fits with your targeted market's view of how things should be.

The title was choosen as an example of framing a story. It is not really about false advertising. It is about telling an authentic story that your consumer will believe.

The book is well written, easy to read and humorous.

If you are serious about developing an effective marketing strategy, you would do well to understand the concepts in this book.
on May 17, 2016
Seth does a great job of helping us to niche down to a specific market. And then telling a story that appeals to that group. We can't be all things to all people.