Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on April 2, 2017
How does the right question guide the hearer to truth that shakes them out of the status quo? The socratic method has benefits, but Jesus' use of questions to turn people's thinking upside down blows Socrates away! The author's well written grapplings with Jesus' questions in the new testament help the reader dive past head knowledge to transforming insight. Superior research and footnotes with references demonstrate exceptional scholarship and detail.
2 people found this helpful
on October 16, 2015
Interesting! Very readable!
on September 25, 2015
Stan Guthrie has a gift to communicate the deeper truths in biblical scripture, without being mired in theological headiness. I thought the questions at the end of each chapter a bit on the seeker level, but a start nun the less into self exploration of the bible. Well done.
on May 23, 2015
Very good
on February 5, 2015
A great book to read. Roy Hanson
on February 24, 2014
The books arrived in good time, in great shape, very good condition. If you want to know more about Jesus, and what He longs for us to know and do, I would recommend this book. It is a book that makes you think and resp;ond.
One person found this helpful
on February 29, 2012
All That Jesus Asks explores the 295 questions Jesus asks as recorded in the first five books of the New Testament (Matthew: 85, Mark: 64, Luke: 91, John: 52, and Acts: 3). Guthrie divides the questions into five sections:
Who is Jesus?
How do You Follow Him?
Where is Your Thinking?
Why is Character so Vital?
What are Some Critical Doctrines?

Of all the books I have reviewed since starting my blog, this was the biggest disappointment. Several people I respect have written glowing reviews and I looked forward to an in-depth exploration of Jesus as question asker that would aid in my ongoing journey to both better understand and more fully follow Jesus. Instead, I experienced a 350 page book that read like something written a generation ago directed at a narrow view of modern Evangelical Christians who would readily embrace the title of conservative. The strength of the book, for readers at any stage on the journey of following or at any point on the theological spectrum, is a comprehensive list of questions Jesus asked. I appreciate Guthrie's 15 page "Question Index" and will use it as a guide for further study.
3 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on July 7, 2011
Just who is Jesus, and why should I follow Him? I thought I had the answers to those questions down pat until reading Stan Guthrie's 'All That Jesus Asks'. This book is the best apologetic on the Person of Jesus Christ that I have read in years, maybe ever. Combining tight journalistic prose with thoughtful contemplation, Guthrie employs Jesus Christ's own techniques of story-telling and asking leading questions to teach truth. Specifically, Guthrie uses the questions Jesus himself asked of disciples, followers, political leaders, even enemies to lay out the fundamentals of just who is this Man from Galilee, why it matters, and what our relationship should be to him. Personal anecdotes from Guthrie's own life and input from many of today's top Christian voices bring alive Gospel accounts written two thousand years ago to a twenty-first century readership. None of which captures just how reading this book impacted my own heart and life. In short, as one more Christian weary of the institutional church and superficial religion, I encountered afresh in these pages the Jesus Christ who revolutionized my own life, and for that alone I find myself recommending this book again and again. A must-read for anyone wanting to know better the biblical Jesus.
2 people found this helpful
on March 31, 2011
I was totally engaged while reading this book by Stan Guthrie. What an amazing premise he brings - a challenge to his readers to potentially deepen our relationship with Jesus by looking at the questions He spoke as recorded in Scripture. I met that challenge as I read, "All That Jesus Asks".

Jesus questions are familiar to me but many became "new". And ever "new" they should remain to any of us seeking to grow in our ongoing journey with Christ.

Stan brought excellent resources to this masterfully crafted work. First. he brought his passion and personal walk as a Christian. He shared openly the realities from his own life and how Jesus' questions have challenged and deepened his faith.

Stan's exceptional career as a journalist makes him a credible writer to tackle this type of book. Themes are structured in a way that prompts the reader to investigate and reflect as the flow of Jesus' questions builds in the context of each section.

Stan's knowledge of Scripture and his insights garnered from reading other writers who were/are devoted to understanding their Christian journey add dimension to this book's goal. At times, I found my own relationship with Christ eloquently expressed and affirmed. Conversely, Stan does not shy away from bringing in quotes from writers in controversy with Christianity or those within the Christian arena who beg the reader to look carefully at the rhetoric of interpretation.

It is a book about God's love in sending His Son to complete a redemptive work on the Cross. It is a book that causes the reader to dig deeply into the Son's words, renewing the essence of what that love means to the reader as an individual. It is a book about living as a Christian of influence in the world. Ultimately, it is an encounter with the One who will always woo us into wholehearted relationship with Him.

Study questions end each chapter. I can see this book as a dynamic resource for church groups. Stan's bibliography is extensive prompting further exploration and/or study for readers who want "more".
3 people found this helpful
on March 2, 2011
Stan Guthrie is one of the few brilliant and brave ones who could think and write a book of such scope. As I digested All That Jesus Asks, I felt as if I were reading an unusually meaningful doctoral thesis. Though I've been teaching the Word of God for years and have exposited the biblical words of Christ countless times, it never occurred to me how much of God's intellect was implicated in the textual questions of Jesus.

Stan's writing is intellectually provoking, theologically fair, culturally incisive, and heartwarmingly honest. Through Stan's transparent personal narratives depicting his life's struggle with cerebral palsy, I not only feel enriched by having gotten to know Stan better, but I finished All That Jesus Asks feeling transformed by having gotten to know Jesus better.
One person found this helpful