Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 13 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 48 reviews
on August 2, 2016
David Ives is hit or miss for me, but I love this collection and I love it even more in production. Each play stands on its own and yet they all contribute to a fascinating anthology. My favorite of the bunch is Phillip Glass Buys a Loaf of Bread, because the way that Ives manipulates the language is incredible. Words Words Words is in every theatre teacher's grab bag because it is a fun examination of Shakespeare, and Sure Thing is a fast-paced social commentary.
on September 5, 2014
I saw an amateur production of some of Ives' work and the work far surpassed the performances except for on piece but the material caused me to buy this book. I find him to be clever and humorous. 2 of the plays were not to my taste but on the whole really enjoyed the contents. If I had not seen "Universal Language" I would have been less than impressed but that someone had the foresight to perform this I admire because this is the one that was performed so well and it must have been difficult to see how clever the results would turn out. Recommend it for his take on things and it's a very quick read. Read 1 in your short time available or knock out the whole book in a couple of hours.
on May 29, 2017
Interesting writer. Short plays with good word play. And he likes bells. Clever stuff and different approach to theater
on March 28, 2013
Ives has been around for a while, but his clever commentary, use of and fascinatio with the intricacies and quirks of language, and his unique perspective on social interaction is witty and spot on. As the title suggests, "timing is everything" in human conversation, relationships, and in life itself. With verve and humor, Ives provides an accessible peek into the wacky, often absurd, world of our daily lives, and always, as good drama should do, with a bit of a twist. Each of these one-act plays could be performed in a classroom or read, as well as being enjoyed personally. I have used some of them in my college course in required literature, half-wondering whether students would like or get what he was about. They loved it and really related to the absudist scenarios he created, so that the plays were eminently teachable in addition to being thoroughly enjoyable.
on February 10, 2015
Cute plays made me laugh out loud, though the set is of uneven quality. I was intrigued by his translation of the production of Corneille's The Liar by Writer's Theater in Glencoe IL, which was excellent and very funny while maintaining the charm of the original.
on May 15, 2016
Liked it a lot in the beginning, really did. But then, going from one piece to the other, it kind of started repeating itself.
on December 2, 2002
My current favorite playwright primarily because of his humor. It's outlandish, but not so you don't understand the underlying meaning to the plays as a whole. "Sure Thing" is one that I expect I will perform in soon. I held off directing it because I wanted to be in it so badly. I did, however, direct "Seven Menus" and it was a lot of fun. His plays are great for college productions, as well as, community plays. Anyone would have fun reading them! Not much of monologues...lots of fast paced, back-n-forth dialogue.
on April 28, 2016
I've only read two plays so far but can envision having some fun with my friends soon!
on July 1, 2016
Very inventive. Great stuff.
on July 9, 2015
Great selection of shows for High School performance!