Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 14,602 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 18,115 reviews
on October 24, 2013
I finished this last night and afterwards I felt just dead inside. I absolutely hate when a series ends leaving me feeling unsatisfied and even, in this case, angry. I feel kind of betrayed by the author.

I loved Divergent. The book had its faults, but I really fell in love with the whole story, the characters, the romance between Tris and Four, the Factions, etc. I read and re-read Divergent probably 8-10 times. I bought the audio book version as well. I was SO PSYCHED about the movie! I bought Insurgent and devoured it as well. It didn't have quite the same magic for me that Divergent did, but I still loved it. So I was REALLY psyched to read Allegiant.

And maybe my hopes were too high.

I don't know.

That doesn't change the fact that this book utterly and completely disappointed me.

SPOILERS AHEAD

For real, SPOILERS!

READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!

**What's outside the fence?**

I was really excited, after reading the 'cliffhanger' ending to Insurgent, to find out what was outside the fence. I had my theories, and I was right about some, wrong about others. I was expecting the cameras and Truman Show-esque thing, but I was not expecting all the genetic manipulation crap. As soon as our heroes get outside the fence, there are chapters and chapters of info dumping and, to be honest, it's kind of dull. We learn that Chicago (and some other cities) were created as 'experiments' because of genetic manipulation gone wrong. Supposedly these cities were an attempt at creating more 'genetically pure' people (aka Divergents). This is so far-fetched and bizarre, but I was willing to go along with it.

**Tris and Four**

I wasn't against the dual perspective, though once I finished the book I realized why she HAD to write it in a dual perspective. However, I don't think it was done well. There were several times where I would get halfway through a chapter and not remember who I was in the head of at the time, mostly because the two narrators had identical voices.

Tris has always been an interesting character to me. I really liked that she was tough, but a little vulnerable and naive. I liked her progression through Divergent and Insurgent. She doesn't really progress much here. We've always known Tris is a selfless person who is more than willing to sacrifice herself for the greater good, or for her loved ones. That doesn't change here. More on that later. She does become kind of arrogant and holier-than-thou here, and it really started to bug me. She's 16, but she often acts (and everyone treats) her like a grown-up. She is pretty much always right in Allegiant and she makes sure everyone knows it.

Four was awesome in Divergent. He loses all of that awesomeness in Allegiant. He becomes quite whiny and pathetic to the point where I actually wanted Tris to break up with him. She probably should have, considering some of the stupid and completely out of character stuff he does. I really hated seeing him reduced to this quivering mess of a boy who does nothing but wax poetic about his mommy and daddy issues. Four was always strong, and he is the polar opposite of that here.

I did enjoy the progression of their relationship though. Some people have complained about the scene where Four accuses Tris of being jealous, but I actually liked it. I like that they, FOR ONCE, acted like TEENAGERS. Unfortunately that was a tiny part of this book, and for the rest of it they act like 30-40 year old worldly adults.

**THE END OF THE CONFLICT**

So we have Four's mother Evelyn running Chicago like a factionless tyrannical dictatorship. Johanna and Marcus running the Allegiant, trying to reinstate the factions.

Evelyn has been portrayed as a nearly heartless person, hell bent on making all the Factioned people clean toilets like the Factionless had to do for so many years. At the height of the conflict, she is willing to allow a "Death Serum" to kill pretty much everyone in Chicago in order to avoid going back to the Factions. This is when Four arrives and says "Hey Mom, I'll be your son again if you stop acting like a monster" and she goes "Okay."

She then negotiates with Marcus and Johanna. Marcus wants to take over as evil dictator and Johanna says "Nah, you're not gonna do that" and Marcus just says "Okay."

Conflict over.

WHAT?

WHAT????????????

**Mass Murder**

Roth has not shied away from killing off characters in the first two books, but I felt like most of that had a purpose. Tris' parents in the first book, Al (due to the guilt over his own actions towards Tris), Jeannine in Insurgent, and more. Deaths in Allegiant come just as rapidly and have even less meaning. Tori dies in a very sudden manner, and then is mostly forgotten about. She was referred to as the leader of the Dauntless, but she is killed and then is nothing more than an afterthought for the rest of the book.

Uriah's death is given a lot more page time, but only as a way to make Four feel like total garbage for getting involved in the rebellion and to make Tris "right" once again.

The biggest death of all was Tris, and this was the biggest disappointment to me. I will be straight up honest - I LIKE a happy ending. I read YA because I like knowing that things will most likely end up happy overall. I read romance because I know there will always be a happily ever after. HOWEVER, I can deal with a bittersweet ending so long as it feels satisfying and feels like closure.

Tris' death was NOT that ending.

Caleb's betrayal was a huge part of Insurgent, and that continues on in Allegiant. He has a LOT to atone for in Allegiant and when he volunteers for the suicide mission to help save everyone, he does it because he wants Tris to forgive him. And he doesn't want to live with the guilt of what he did. Instead of letting him, Tris forces him to let her go instead. I understand this. Tris forgave him and doesn't want him to die because he feels guilty. I get it.

HOWEVER

Caleb doesn't get that opportunity to redeem himself. While I understand that Tris acted the way she had to act, that doesn't mean Caleb can't take a bullet for her. That doesn't mean he can't force a redemption. Instead, Tris dies in a completely unsatisfying scene that left me going "WHAT THE HECK JUST HAPPENED?" Caleb lives and basically still is the coward and traitor.

Caleb NEEDED to redeem himself. He needed to take that bullet for Tris and die.

Instead, we get this messed up ending where Caleb lives. Peter lives (gets his mind erased BY HIS OWN CHOICE and gets to start over). Marcus lives (just disappears somehow). David (Tris' murderer) lives (also gets his mind erased and even though he's an evil murderer, no one cares because he doesn't remember). Almost all the bad guys live and get to have perfectly happy, normal lives.

This is NOT SATISFYING.

THIS IS POINTLESS.

Sorry, but this book was awful. I wanted to love it. I REALLY wanted to love it. I was willing to deal with all the weird genetically damaged stuff. I was willing to deal with the complete dismantling of Four's character. I was willing to deal with a lot, but Tris' pointless and needless death... NOPE. This death felt like it was here for shock value only. So the author could be "edgy" and "different."

Unfortunately, all she did for me is ruin the entire series. I won't be re-reading Divergent or Insurgent anymore. I won't be re-reading Allegiant. And I definitely won't be seeing the movies that I was once so excited for. Knowing how depressingly it ends ruins it all for me
5150+ comments| 2,438 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 7, 2013
I've been struggling to put into words why I so violently disliked Allegiant after so eagerly anticipating it for months. It's hard to narrow down a list of all of the things that I hated about it, but these are the things that stood out:

SPOILERS

1) Derivative plot. It was basically "The Village" with better technology. That's not to say that there wasn't the potential for a good book in there. Just that the execution was so ham-handed that it brought the derivative nature of the plot into much sharper focus.

2) Completely inconsistent characterization. I mean, night and day differences from Divergent to Allegiant. In many cases, it was hard to believe that Roth was even writing about the same characters. This was somewhat of an issue from Divergent to Insurgent, but the better plot and pacing helped to gloss over those issues a bit. There is no such distraction in Allegiant. Many of the significant plot points happened because of a character behaving in ways that were completely out of character. That made the fallout of those decisions feel like manipulations, not an earned reaction. I didn't believe what she was having them do, so what followed was completely unrealistic to me.

3) My feeling that as the plot points (and deaths) added up, that they were not contributing to a greater whole. Look, I have no problem with entertainment that has a high body count. Games of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Justified, The Sopranos, Deadwood, the Wire, Oz, Homicide-I love them all. But the difference between those series and Allegiant is that the deaths in those stories served a purpose. They moved the plot along, they were used for the development of other characters, SOMETHING. The reactions they caused felt earned, not something to jerk your chain just because the showrunner felt like messing with you.

There was no point to the deaths in Allegiant. Beloved characters dropped like flies for seemingly no reason at all. Horrible characters emerged without a scratch. And pointlessly horrible things happened. E.g. Tori dying right before the others discover the compound where her brother is still alive. The big event, which was IMO pointless and completely avoidable. Roth's choices seemed to just be for shock value, rather than to add anything to the story. I don't like stories that are so obvious about trying to be a tearjerker.

4) The whole thing felt like a rush job. I would really like to see what could have happened if Roth had been given a longer timeline to work in and a better team of editors. Whoever edited this mess should be fired and blackballed from the industry.

Throughout the book, I kept thinking of ways that the story could have been told better. There are a lot of interesting places that Allegiant could have gone and a lot of cool things it could have done. But Roth chose to do none of them.

I can't recommend Allegiant to anyone. Not for fans of the series, not for anyone who is at all attached to the characters, and certainly not for teenagers. It is truly horrible and I would not suggest that anyone spend their time or money on it. I took the bullet of reading it for all of us, and my conclusion is that I would be happier pretending that this half-baked mess never happened. I reject Allegiant's very existence. As far as I'm concerned, the series ended with Insurgent. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it, no matter how much Truth Serum you give me.
0Comment| 150 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 1, 2013
I have no idea whether to even begin with this review. I want to write a lot but I will never have enough time to write what all I think went wrong with this book. I'm finding it hard to think of any other series ending I have been so disappointed in.

This final book felt rushed. It actually seemed like someone who didn't know the characters wrote this book. The duel POVs did not work. I think by giving us Tobias's perspective, she actually took away his voice. This Tobias didn't seem anything like the one in the previous books.

The whole underlying meaning of the series of being Divergent (I mean, come on, it's the title of your first book Roth), just vanishes. It's kinda like oh, being divergent is genetic so you aren't anything special and what you have done isn't special.

I usually never agree with killing off a main character but I don't mind when it adds something and provides meaning. This death was just wrong in so many ways. First off, it was too rushed and almost like an after thought. I feel like it was added for shock value but honestly wasn't shocking at all. It was just annoying. This book made me dislike Tris at times before her death but I really disliked her after. She took away Caleb's redemption. It made sense for him to sacrifice himself for the greater good. Having her take that away from him just proved that Tris had not grown as a character. She did choose to sacrifice herself regardless if what she told Caleb to tell Tobias. If Tobias was really "her family now" and "she wanted to choose to live," then she would have let Caleb do it. Oh, but Tris is always right. Sorry for the rant but I just am really annoyed by her now.

Overall, I think the author had a great idea and wrote 2 great books. Allegiant just felt like it didn't have enough thought into the writing or the plot decisions. This is the first time that I wish I hadn't read a series at all. I think she should have waited to release this book until after the first movie came out because now I'm not sure if I even want to watch the movies.
on October 25, 2013
Let me start by saying that I have never written a review before, but I felt so strongly about Allegiant that I needed to get things off my chest. From the beginning I fell in love with the Divergent series and was excited to read the third installment. Honestly, it didn't live up to my expectations at all.

First of all, for me it didn't really start until about half way through the book. There was a lot of relationship stuff between Tobias and Tris throughout the first half and not much else. Also, where as the other two where action packed throughout the whole book I believe this one was lacking on that front.

Secondly, I love when I can read a book and get both main characters perspectives. But for Allegiant, it just didn't work for me. At times the chapter wasn't distinguishable enough for me to recognize whose point of view I was reading from. I would find myself having to go back to the beginning to make sure I was envisioning it from the right characters point of view. So Veronica Roth didn't really sale me on the alternating points of view for this.

Last, I felt like the characters were not as evolved in this third book. They had such great stories in the past two and with this one I feel like they were just kind of dull. I love Tris and Tobias as a couple but I feel like their relationship never really went anywhere. I wanted to see more of a deeper connection between them but the basis of their relationship in this book was them making out all the time. Also, with Tris and the relationship with her friends wasn't as involved as it was in the other series.

I'm not going to talk about the ending because I don't want to spoil the book for others but overall this book was severely lacking for me. The bar was set high from the first two in the series but Allegiant definitely fell short. It was a terrible end to what was one of my favorite series. I have gone from loving them to the point where I have decided to probably never read them again, to recommending them all the time to recanting that recommendation.

I believe Veronica Roth could have made this a much stronger and more well thought out book, and it could have been a great end to the series but ended up being none of those things for me.
on November 16, 2013
While I loved Divergent and thoroughly enjoyed Insurgent, I felt bored reading Allegiant and annoyed by the story which felt weak. I couldn't keep track of whose perspective I was reading and since I read it on a Kindle it was more of a hassle to go back to the beginning of each chapter to remind myself when necessary.

The ending was depressing and actually made me angry.

I told my husband who is just about finished with Insurgent to not bother reading Allegiant at all and simply imagine his own ending for the series.

I read Divergent over the course of two evenings. Then I immediately bought Insurgent and read the whole book in one sitting. So I was very excited for Allegiant. I could barely get myself to finish this book and that was without even knowing how terribly it would end. I just didn't feel connected to the story at all like I did with the previous books.
on October 25, 2013
By the time I got halfway through this book-- which I had anxiously awaited all year-- I was feeling oddly bereft, like I was missing something. I decided to jump online and read some of the reviews to see if others felt the same. Needless to say, everyone else has already picked apart in great detail the shortcomings of the third installment: a disappointing ending, dragging storyline, weird, out-of-left-field character development, and an underplayed romance that didn't progress or evolve enough. For me, though, the thing that I missed from books one and two was the magical, ethereal quality of the characters' lives within the faction system. Yes, it was hugely flawed, often evil and corrupt... But they were still enchanting. The amity in their apple orchards, strumming banjos and laughing... The dauntless hanging around the the chasm or boisterously scaling the pit, all covered In tattoos and black... The cool blue and glass erudite, the frank and unflinching black-and-white Candor... The somber, grey Abnegation, calm and compassionate. It was these colors of fantasy that captured my imagination, and that I sorely missed in Allegiant. I found myself unable to care about a group of characters who couldn't seem to decide what they stood for, in a setting as dull as dry toast, with a constantly and confusingly shifting array of "bad guys." My heart just wasn't in this read... However, the two stars are given for the fact that Tris and Tobias finally stopped with all the lies and secrets, and that I kind of dug how the city turned out in the end. Considering that books one and two were an off-the-chart SIX stars, two isn't saying much...
on October 26, 2013
I absolutely loved the first two books and could not wait to read the third. I started reading the book and finished it in two days but not because it kept my interest. I just wanted to know how it ended.
Some of the explanations given were hard to wrap my mind around and seemed implausible. I have read several books that change character point-of-view and it is an extremely difficult task because the author has to capture the book through each characters' personality. This author wasn't incredibly successful with this as the tone seemed the same through the whole book.

Spoiler Alert
I don't understand the reasoning for killing Tris at the end of the book. She beats the death serum, releases the memory serum, only to be killed by a gun?!? What was the purpose of her dying? The idea that she went instead of Caleb was successful in expressing the idea of self-sacrifice for love and not guilt. She didn't need to actually die. I cried and felt so empty at the end.
on November 11, 2013
Reading the last book in this series was akin to buying all the yummy ingredients to baking a cake, placing it in tho oven, waiting impatiently for the oven timer to go off with a ding ! ....only for the cake to come out of the oven completely deflated. That's how I felt when I read this book.

I got hooked on the first of this series, Divergent, with the concept of the factions and excellent character development of Tris and Four. I felt they were multi dimensional and not your typical badass YA heroine and hero. I was shocked at who the author decided to kill off in the first book but took it stride due to the journey that I anticipated Tris would need to travel.

Well, after reading this last of the series, the word I would choose would be: betrayed. I did not care for the choice to alternate voices between Tris and Four so quickly from one chapter to the next...I did not like the Big a Brother twist nor the focus on the GP vs. GD after all the time invested in the Factions and Factionless.

So, in a nutshell, read the book for closure. Read the book since you've waited so long from the initial book,Divergent. But start the book knowing you may just walk away feeling like the air was let out of a balloon...
on November 14, 2013
I had high expectations. I am disappointed. I hate the back and forth between Tris and Four perspective. Multiple times I had to go back to the beginning of the chapter to see who's perspective I was reading. It was annoying and boring.
I really loved Divergent. I even liked people dying. But, this book did not do Divergent justice. This book did not do the characters justice.
I can never get back the hours I wasted reading this. I will NOT waste any more of my time or money on Veronica Roth.
on November 8, 2013
First off: Spoilers. There will be lots in here. Well actually, only one, which is really what it all comes down to, and which, I suspect, is going to make this series both notorious and wildly successful for the foreseeable future. And btw, I gave this 2 rather than 1 star because it kept me reading till the disastrous ending, which must mean something. But anyway, about *that* ending:

First of all, I don't call the ending disastrous because it's tragic. There are novels with devastating endings built on tragic love stories that I've nevertheless loved - "At Swim, Two Boys" and "As Meat Loves Salt" come immediately to mind. Or in the YA realm: "The Book Thief" or "The Sweet Far Thing" or "The Amber Spyglass." Yet while I loved all of those books, I hated "Allegiant", to the point - two stars not withstanding - where I wish I'd never read it.

As a writer, that's something I don't say lightly; in fact I don't think I've ever said it at all, about any book. And the thing is, I don't hate it because Tris died. I get the Christ analogy. I get that sacrificing herself to save everyone she loves is the obvious culmination of being both Abnegation and Dauntless. Thematically it makes perfect sense, and executed differently, it might have made a poignant ending, rather than one that made me wish I could scrape it out of my head. What it killed it for me is that the story wasn't strong enough support the death of the main character, and in so many ways that there really isn't any room for equivocation.

To begin with, the plot was riddled with holes. For instance (and ignoring the most ridiculous ones) what good is it going to do to 'reset' this one facility to forget their prejudices and save the memories of another small group of people, when there's no evidence that the rest of the world isn't working on the same prejudiced principles, doing the same thing? None of the kids plotting the insurrection have been any further than the GP facility. What do they really know? And then, who exactly is left in Chicago for the reader to care about, once the main characters have left? If Tobias had been left behind, and was in danger of being reset or killed or whatever, then I could have begun to understand Tris's choice. But condemning him to grief and misery because It's The Right Thing To Do and My Brother's Doing It For the Wrong Reasons? It doesn't wash.

Speaking of characters: none of the supporting cast is particularly well fleshed out, and as a result I didn't really care about any of them. The relationship between Tris and Tobias was the reason I kept reading. So take that away, and yes, it feels like a betrayal. In fact I'm guessing this is the root of most of the vitriol over this ending - not that Tris died, per se, but that the reader isn't left with anything redeeming to look to, any bright spot amidst the loss. All we get is a Tobias more broken than he was already, and a society that's miraculously healed within two years of its extremely virulent problems. And that's a pretty paltry offering when you've invested nearly 2000 pages in a love story.

I also resented the gap between the gain and the enormity of Tris's sacrifice (never mind that she was doing to one group of people exactly what they'd planned to do to another.) Maybe the future of humanity did depend on 'resetting' the scientists, but if so, the evidence eluded me. It read as if Tris died for the dubious honor of re-educating a building full of bigots, and for the love of her wishy-washy brother who tried to kill her. Why? What about her love for Tobias, and his for her? What about his brokenness, and how much he needed her to be whole? And then, there's a whole world beyond the research complex that she knew nothing about, except by hearsay, and that, therefore, could easily have undone what she died for the next day. It all left me mentally screaming: 'Whyyyyyy?'

But the deal-breaker for me comes not in the writer-analysis, but in the mommy-analysis. I have an 11-year-old daughter who is a very precocious reader. And while I generally don't censor what she reads - 'The Book Thief' and 'The Mortal Instruments' and 'Ender's Game' are some recents - I would never give her this book, for the simple reason that the main and most identifiable female character, who is otherwise actually a pretty decent role model for young girls, dies to save someone who really doesn't deserve it. Liberal commie-mommy that I am, I can't bear to propagate the attitude that women's primary value is in giving to others at the expense of themselves. Yes, selflessness is admirable, and necessary if we aren't all going to sink back into the Cosmic Soup. But angsty, dramatic, half-baked heroics? Spare me.