Industrial Deals Beauty Silent Corner STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning Paterson Paterson Paterson  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Assassins Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 14,603 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 18,092 reviews
on October 24, 2013
I finished this last night and afterwards I felt just dead inside. I absolutely hate when a series ends leaving me feeling unsatisfied and even, in this case, angry. I feel kind of betrayed by the author.

I loved Divergent. The book had its faults, but I really fell in love with the whole story, the characters, the romance between Tris and Four, the Factions, etc. I read and re-read Divergent probably 8-10 times. I bought the audio book version as well. I was SO PSYCHED about the movie! I bought Insurgent and devoured it as well. It didn't have quite the same magic for me that Divergent did, but I still loved it. So I was REALLY psyched to read Allegiant.

And maybe my hopes were too high.

I don't know.

That doesn't change the fact that this book utterly and completely disappointed me.

SPOILERS AHEAD

For real, SPOILERS!

READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!

**What's outside the fence?**

I was really excited, after reading the 'cliffhanger' ending to Insurgent, to find out what was outside the fence. I had my theories, and I was right about some, wrong about others. I was expecting the cameras and Truman Show-esque thing, but I was not expecting all the genetic manipulation crap. As soon as our heroes get outside the fence, there are chapters and chapters of info dumping and, to be honest, it's kind of dull. We learn that Chicago (and some other cities) were created as 'experiments' because of genetic manipulation gone wrong. Supposedly these cities were an attempt at creating more 'genetically pure' people (aka Divergents). This is so far-fetched and bizarre, but I was willing to go along with it.

**Tris and Four**

I wasn't against the dual perspective, though once I finished the book I realized why she HAD to write it in a dual perspective. However, I don't think it was done well. There were several times where I would get halfway through a chapter and not remember who I was in the head of at the time, mostly because the two narrators had identical voices.

Tris has always been an interesting character to me. I really liked that she was tough, but a little vulnerable and naive. I liked her progression through Divergent and Insurgent. She doesn't really progress much here. We've always known Tris is a selfless person who is more than willing to sacrifice herself for the greater good, or for her loved ones. That doesn't change here. More on that later. She does become kind of arrogant and holier-than-thou here, and it really started to bug me. She's 16, but she often acts (and everyone treats) her like a grown-up. She is pretty much always right in Allegiant and she makes sure everyone knows it.

Four was awesome in Divergent. He loses all of that awesomeness in Allegiant. He becomes quite whiny and pathetic to the point where I actually wanted Tris to break up with him. She probably should have, considering some of the stupid and completely out of character stuff he does. I really hated seeing him reduced to this quivering mess of a boy who does nothing but wax poetic about his mommy and daddy issues. Four was always strong, and he is the polar opposite of that here.

I did enjoy the progression of their relationship though. Some people have complained about the scene where Four accuses Tris of being jealous, but I actually liked it. I like that they, FOR ONCE, acted like TEENAGERS. Unfortunately that was a tiny part of this book, and for the rest of it they act like 30-40 year old worldly adults.

**THE END OF THE CONFLICT**

So we have Four's mother Evelyn running Chicago like a factionless tyrannical dictatorship. Johanna and Marcus running the Allegiant, trying to reinstate the factions.

Evelyn has been portrayed as a nearly heartless person, hell bent on making all the Factioned people clean toilets like the Factionless had to do for so many years. At the height of the conflict, she is willing to allow a "Death Serum" to kill pretty much everyone in Chicago in order to avoid going back to the Factions. This is when Four arrives and says "Hey Mom, I'll be your son again if you stop acting like a monster" and she goes "Okay."

She then negotiates with Marcus and Johanna. Marcus wants to take over as evil dictator and Johanna says "Nah, you're not gonna do that" and Marcus just says "Okay."

Conflict over.

WHAT?

WHAT????????????

**Mass Murder**

Roth has not shied away from killing off characters in the first two books, but I felt like most of that had a purpose. Tris' parents in the first book, Al (due to the guilt over his own actions towards Tris), Jeannine in Insurgent, and more. Deaths in Allegiant come just as rapidly and have even less meaning. Tori dies in a very sudden manner, and then is mostly forgotten about. She was referred to as the leader of the Dauntless, but she is killed and then is nothing more than an afterthought for the rest of the book.

Uriah's death is given a lot more page time, but only as a way to make Four feel like total garbage for getting involved in the rebellion and to make Tris "right" once again.

The biggest death of all was Tris, and this was the biggest disappointment to me. I will be straight up honest - I LIKE a happy ending. I read YA because I like knowing that things will most likely end up happy overall. I read romance because I know there will always be a happily ever after. HOWEVER, I can deal with a bittersweet ending so long as it feels satisfying and feels like closure.

Tris' death was NOT that ending.

Caleb's betrayal was a huge part of Insurgent, and that continues on in Allegiant. He has a LOT to atone for in Allegiant and when he volunteers for the suicide mission to help save everyone, he does it because he wants Tris to forgive him. And he doesn't want to live with the guilt of what he did. Instead of letting him, Tris forces him to let her go instead. I understand this. Tris forgave him and doesn't want him to die because he feels guilty. I get it.

HOWEVER

Caleb doesn't get that opportunity to redeem himself. While I understand that Tris acted the way she had to act, that doesn't mean Caleb can't take a bullet for her. That doesn't mean he can't force a redemption. Instead, Tris dies in a completely unsatisfying scene that left me going "WHAT THE HECK JUST HAPPENED?" Caleb lives and basically still is the coward and traitor.

Caleb NEEDED to redeem himself. He needed to take that bullet for Tris and die.

Instead, we get this messed up ending where Caleb lives. Peter lives (gets his mind erased BY HIS OWN CHOICE and gets to start over). Marcus lives (just disappears somehow). David (Tris' murderer) lives (also gets his mind erased and even though he's an evil murderer, no one cares because he doesn't remember). Almost all the bad guys live and get to have perfectly happy, normal lives.

This is NOT SATISFYING.

THIS IS POINTLESS.

Sorry, but this book was awful. I wanted to love it. I REALLY wanted to love it. I was willing to deal with all the weird genetically damaged stuff. I was willing to deal with the complete dismantling of Four's character. I was willing to deal with a lot, but Tris' pointless and needless death... NOPE. This death felt like it was here for shock value only. So the author could be "edgy" and "different."

Unfortunately, all she did for me is ruin the entire series. I won't be re-reading Divergent or Insurgent anymore. I won't be re-reading Allegiant. And I definitely won't be seeing the movies that I was once so excited for. Knowing how depressingly it ends ruins it all for me
5150+ comments| 2,434 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 23, 2013
**Spoilers**

Allegiant is proving to be quite the controversy, though perhaps not for the reasons it should. The series was never going to be fine literature, though I was definitely entertained and devoured the first two books; they were escapist and overall a good read. After reading Insurgent I found out that Veronica Roth is quite vocal about her Christian background, which set up certain expectations for the climax of the final book (in more ways that one, you might say). However, I didn't find her tone at all preachy or heavy-handed in the first two novels - that changes a bit here. This final book has definite changed how I'm going to view the movies as they come out, and will make it hard to read the first two books again.

I had absolutely no ideas about what might happen in Allegiant, so I was excited to find out how the series would conclude. However, I think there were missteps - some apparent right from the beginning. From a narrative standpoint, my biggest qualm was the shift in perspective; while I didn't mind seeing things through Four's eyes, he is not the person who led me into this world, and is not the most reliable or interesting narrator. There was also hardly any narrative between Tris and Four - often I read a few pages into a chapter before realizing I was picturing the wrong person. Switching back and forth every other chapter is a bit hacky - check out how George RR Martin does it to get an idea of how multiple perspective is used skillfully. I see now why Roth decided to do this, but I think she could have cut of Tris's voice and ended with Four's and we still would have had the same journey.

The actual storyline also frustrated me a bit; I was rather disappointed to find out what was outside the city because it took some of the magic away. Everything slows around the middle of the book, and I found myself wondering how it could possibly be wrapped up in a cohesive way (which, in truth, it doesn't quite do). Most of the book is far away from the world that was created in the first two books, which is a risky choice. I definitely saw more of Roth's religious background in this book as well (quite obviously in Tris' questioning of God and the destruction of her reality).

Which leads me to the end - the focal point for 99% of the reviews up so far. From a purely literary standpoint, I don't have a problem with the main character dying. We readers are so used to happy endings that we forget how often a narrative can't logically conclude with the heroine dancing into the sunset, but I really don't think this is why Tris died. I thin Roth made a calculated choice that was consistent with her views, but not with the text, or rather, what we all bought into in the text. Tris' death was very symbolic (the Christ imagery is a little overdone here) but unsatisfying. I kept expecting her to pop out in the last few chapters - a sign that the death was not fully resolved. Make no mistake, the heart of the series went with Tris, which is why so many people are finding it hard to take, I think.

You definitely need to suspend reality to believe the ending has any sort of permanence, that Tris died to save something real - lose that and the ending stings that much more. I don't think the book deserves a 1 star rating, but I, for one, can't get fully behind a series that ends on a bum note. In Game of Thrones, it's tragic when a character meets their grisly end, but there are other full-formed characters who can carry the book. The biggest problem here is that Four is not fully-developed; we see him from Tris' eyes, and when we lose that it all feels a little hollow. I also just didn't expect the book to take the turn it did when it pulled the rug out from the first two books, and I'm not sure I liked it - we've seen the genetics allegory before, and done better.

To sum up: There isn't enough narrative weight in Allegiant to support the bold moves that Roth makes. The storyline is a bit lacking compared to the first two novels, and at the end of the day, the ideas expressed here feel out of place - these readers (myself included) just wanted to happy ending! But hey, it didn't offend me and it got me thinking, so maybe that alone makes it a little successful.
on December 23, 2013
Let me start off by saying that I enjoyed the first two books, but this one seems completely out of place. The plot-- omg, the plot... was most of that even relevant? And a lot of the storyline had so many holes that it just couldn't stand up on its own. She made Stephanie Meyer's idea of making a teenage werewolf fall in love with a talking baby sound more sensible than half this book. Don't bother unless you like confusing and disappointment because that's all you'll get. It's best to stop at book #2 and dream up your own ending.

Let's look at how this book fails: structure, plot, and the ending.

The first two books were good, but this last book became progressively lost as Roth grasps for a cohesive story. We can ignore the many grammatical errors and simply focus on the structure of this final book. It lacks the fluidity of the first two novels and shifts from one characters perspective to the other so frequently that it's difficult to remember who is narrating. Especially since she doesn't give Tobias his true voice. He and Tris sound like some person-- neither carries an individual tone as the narrator. And I LOVED Tobias-- he was a great character until he became some weird, wimpy teenager in this book and both characters became almost annoying. And the dual narration serves no point, except for the ending. You learn nothing new about anything by having both characters as narrators. They are in the same setting most of the time and have the same friends and both of them pretty much do the same thing - be sneaky, make plots, makeout and get into trouble. I found myself constantly flipping to the first page of each chapter to figure out who was talking.

She doesn't even stay true to the characters she built in the other two novels-- making them do things which are out of their nature. It drove me INSANE. Did anyone ever think Tobias (the careful planner who was always skeptical) would just join up with some group for the hell of it to take down a government without knowing details or asking questions? No. How about Tris's willingness to sacrifice her brother? She's suddenly now okay with guns because they are lighter and feel different than the other guns the Fractions used? Hmph.

And how about the ENTIRE group losing all common sense:

A) Who was dumb enough to think she would let her brother die voluntarily? Apparently everyone else in the story so they let her escort him to his death mission alone. Yeah. That's smart.
B) Everyone saying it's okay to send a kid with ZERO military experience to go on a solo mission to blow up stuff and possible get into a gun fight when everything depended on his success? Seriously? These people are supposed to be "military experts" and they pick him for this super critical mission. That's believable.
C) Christina says she has to pee and jumps out the truck, then slashes BOTH back tires so they can do some sneaky side mission. OMG! Flat tires! Tobias tells the driver they are both flat and he's like "oh, that sucks, but that's totally plausible. Let's just split up on foot." Uh, anyone would wonder why both tires were flat-- I think he'd go look and notice the slashes. Dumb. Just dumb.

This novel drags more than the others and loses its appeal as we learn more about the true secrets of the fractions and how ridiculous it is. The plot become slow and tedious to read. It seems like much of the plot wasn't completely thought out by the author--- why didn't the people living in the Fractions ever notice the planes flying above them? When they inserted Tris's mom into the experiment, they said they only reset a few people. They would need to have reset A LOT of people and being reset is supposed to change their personality-- wouldn't that be noticed by friends in the Fractions. Nothing made sense. And why didn't they try to come up with a better idea than a suicide mission? Seriously, they had other options. I could see other options and I'm just a reader. The only thing consistent is the failure after failure after failure in the plot line.

And really, how many times can Tris and Tobias get shot? I actually began to roll my eyes at their many, many flesh wounds while everyone else keeps dying in various ways and many without reason. Although, I don't even understand why Uriah or Tori had to die. It was pointless and just caused more useless conflict between Tris and Tobias that annoyed the *bleep* out of me and continued to make both the main characters act outside of their normal behavior. Half way through this book I wanted to stop reading it. I wish I did.

Oh, and then end is horrible. No, beyond horrible. Deplorable. The worst ending of any book and it's not because I don't like what happened-- sometimes endings should be sad. It's because of how she wrote it. You don't do what she did without making a major point and showing that there was no other way. But there were other ways. There were other options. Her ending was useless and pointless and a disrespect to the other two books and the characters.

SPOILER

So we expect that Tris is somehow super human and immune to the death serum which she is (shocker), but you don't expect the dude in the wheelchair with two bum legs to kill her. Yeah, the gimp kills the girl who always beats the crap out of everyone else. Why can't she figure out a way to get the gun from him and THEN go push some buttons? He's in a wheelchair. Come on! He didn't deserve to kill her.

Was her death necessary to the story? No. Does it make the story better? No. Did it serve a purpose? No.

So why'd she die? Maybe to make the story memorable? Well, then Roth succeeded in making this the book that I'll remember as being one of the worst book I've read. Good job. I applaud you.

AND since Tris's death was to save the city she loves by reprograming the government-- would it work in the long term? Sure it might have stopped the attack within 48 hours, but what about in a week? A month? What about all the other compounds and leaders who they interact with? They will notice the newly reset government and their sudden lack of knowledge about divergents and the defective genes. Wouldn't you think that they'd notice something was off and then shut down the program anyways? Just reset that entire compound including all of Tris's friends or kill them as traitors?

What about those horrible soldiers that terrorized the people in the ghetto? Did her death stop them? No. They had no affiliation with their compound so obviously there are more government programs close by. Don't you think they'll notice when one compound starts behaving differently than every other person in the region and in the world? So her death would have been in vain anyways if the book was to make any logical sense.

To be honest, I didn't read the last 10 pages or so after Tris was confirmed dead. Maybe those last 10 pages were really, really good. I don't think so.

What did her death do? Spare her traitor brother (giving him salvation and probably survivor's guilt) and devastate her friends and lover. Did it serve a purpose that could not have been accomplished by another means? No.

Who does that?! Who kills a main character for no good reason?!

Roth just pissed me off and made me regret reading the entire series. I wish I could erase this book from my brain.
88 comments| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 25, 2013
Had the ending made sense, it is likely I could have forgiven what I consider to be an illogical and hole-filled plot that bordered on comical at points in how different it was from the first book, Divergent. I did not enjoy the second book, Insurgent as much as I enjoyed Divergent, but still eagerly anticipated the closing book to this series. I now question whether I will read any of these books ever again. I cannot ever see myself revisiting Allegiant, but hey, they already have my money from the physical book purchase and again for a kindle version purchase, so I suppose that doesn't matter to Roth or her publisher.

The only conclusion I can come to on the end of this book is that the writer and her publishers were trying to shock us as readers. Will, mission accomplished. I was shocked. And dismayed. I feel Roth broke the cardinal rule in YA. I won't get into that as it would spoil the end of the story, but the ending of the book felt like a cop out in almost every way imaginable. This should serve as a cautionary tale for other YA writers shock value to get attention for a day will probably hurt the book in the long run. I don't think I will ever read anything Roth writes again. I just can't trust her to be fair to the characters. They are her characters and she can do what she wants with them, but it is my money, and she will not be seeing any more from me. I won't be seeing the movie either, because, what's the point? I hope it was worth it.

I just feel so let down and sorry for these characters. They deserved better than their fate. The writing was confused and it was difficult at points to determine whether it was Tris or Four's voice in a chapter. The sounded so similar to me at points. While I appreciated the more adult nature of their relationship in working through arguments and the like, I never found myself moved by their arguments and or the resolutions to those arguments. It seems that every problem had a very simplistic solution and that seemed to be because Roth tried to cram too much plot into too small a space, so the resolutions seems too easy and hollow.

It is just too bad. I so rarely write reviews, but I am so terribly disappointed by the ending of this book, I can't help but share my experience with others. I am very sorry to have to write this review. I had such high hopes this story would have a satisfying ending.
on January 20, 2014
Divergent and Insurgent were amazing. Hard to put down, I neglected my house duties just to read that book. Browsing the grocery store, my thoughts were to get home and devour the rest of those books as quickly as possible. If it were available as a drug, I probably would have Divergent and Insurgent IV'd straight to my veins. Dramatic? Yes.

Sadly as my shaking hands opening Allegiant and started to read it, I really felt as though I was coming down after a great adrenaline rush. This is the direction she chose to end the series?! Really? There are numerous reasons but the following pertain most to my opinions...

1. STAY TRUE TO YOUR CHARACTERS! In Insurgent Tobias (Four) foot stomps his Dad in the middle of the cafeteria to prove he's not a coward or a 'pansycake'. In Allegiant we find Tobias crying in the corner sucking his thumb. With the technology available in the books, couldn't he get an injection to help with his manic depression? Why would he go from one extreme to the other? Caleb went from being extremely smart in Erudite to a window licker with breakfast sauce on his shirt. VR, please, please get to know your characters and play true to their personalities. While reading, I kept thinking 'WTF'? The characters wouldn't go down like that.

2. TRAGEDY WORKS, ONLY IF WRITTEN CORRECTLY. There were times when I was reading and could tell that VR's thoughts were 'Welp, time for someone to die! Bang, bang'. And that was it. Someone would hit the floor or ground and it was supposed to be 'tragic'. Followed by this weird sense of a relative to emerge from the dead and be struck by grief. I'm sorry, not boo hoo sad, it was 'WTF'? Once again.

3. TAKE A DIFFERENT DIRECTION. This book could have gone in soooo many different directions. She could have created more of the thrilling, suspenseful and great love plot that was evident in the first two books. Instead VR took a weird, all together nonsensical direction that didn't work. I love The Giver and Pleasantville, infact, dystopic and utopic society stories are by far my favorite. However, the direction that VR took made no sense to me. These people were living LITERALLY right down the street from a gov't facility that was keeping tabs on them and had no clue?

4. NO LOOSE ENDS WERE TIED UP. Seriously. None. See above. So many characters were developed in the first two books and then as an aside were just quickly disposed of. Keep going with the characters from the first two books, no new characters were really needed. She created this wonderful foundation to build this book on and really just said 'Meh'. Know your audience and what they want...I'm sure she couldn't give a crap, VR's probably wiping her butt with all the cash she made off of this book.

By and large, I was angry, hurt and just plain dumbfounded that this was how the series ended. I felt as though VR stayed up late all night and wrote some drivel that wasn't even half coherent. It makes me sad too, that the publisher allowed the book to be put on stands this way. I'm sad that these characters weren't given the true justice they deserved to be developed and really saw through to the end.
on March 1, 2014
While I enjoyed the world Ms. Roth created in Divergent and Insurgent, Allegiant was a real disappointment. The concept of Tris' death was not a "shock" - she was raised in Abnegation - but a good story would have given her death a believable framework and used it to shape a strong ending that resonates with readers. Ms. Roth did neither of these things. Futhermore, she seemed to have forgotten that Tris and Tobias are two very different people - she writes their POV in the same voice -- this lazy execution destroys both characters.
The scientific rationale used to explain the existence of this society is laughable -- really, a prerequisite for using genetics as plot device should be a rudimentary understanding of how the ideas in the author's mind would ACTUALLY HAPPEN. Choosing to add a science fiction angle should mean the author bothers to find out how the science actually works! Ms. Roth clearly did not respect her readers' intelligence enough to do so. A strong editor (or a college professor with honest comments and a red pen!) would have been a blessing here - ending this promising trilogy with such a poorly written, unevenly paced, shoddily plotted volume is a shame.
The message for Ms. Roth -- if you have only enough material for two good books, stop there. Don't release a vastly inferior conclusion for a paycheck or to meet a deadline -- take your time, get the sources and help you need to create a quality final installment, for that is how you will be remembered. YA is an oft-maligned genre, which is a shame, as I have enjoyed many well-written YA books. Allegiant is not one of them.
on December 13, 2013
Friends of mine recommended this series to me prior to "Allegiant" being released. I never read series until all of books have been released (I have no patience and HATE waiting for an ending). So I waited and as soon as Allegiant was released I started reading Divergent. I loved the first book Divergent, the second Insurgent was okay, but it still kept me interested. The 3rd "Allegiant" was HORRIBLE. So many of the things that happened make no sense and I feel like the author just rushed through without really thinking the book out before completing it.

Let me start off by saying I understand that not all characters get their happy ending. I am a HUGE fan of "A Song of Fire and Ice series aka Game of Thrones" and as anyone who reads those/watches that series knows, never get too attached to anyone. I know and I've come to love a good book where there are heartbreaks and where some of the main characters die. BUT they die for a reason, a reason that makes sense, a reason that has meaning and actually adds to the book. I did not feel this way about Allegiant.

I think my major disappointment in the whole book was that none of the characters I came to like/love acted the same as they did in the previous books. I read them all in such a short period of time that the difference was very noticeable. I HATE that so many of the main characters died in ways that really made no sense. They died for no reason other than to upset the readers and yet all the "bad" people go on living their happy little lives. The very least the author could have done was not leave so many questions. There are so many things that DO NOT MAKE SENSE and it makes me wish I had never started this series to begin with.
on December 16, 2013
I can not begin to express my disappointment in this book. The author could have gone in so many directions. So she wanted to kill off Tris, fine. But seriously, Tobias just goes back to Chicago to live out the rest of his days. NO one gets further than 100 miles to explore the world which they just discovered is immense? No one seeks to figure out who the government is? No one leaves. Everyone just stays in Chicago. Pathetic. NO one explores the oceans or goes over seas. Ridiculous. Where are your characters! Why are they not exploring. Why are they not trying to unite the world as a whole again?

I have been a huge supporter of this series until this last book. Also the way the book was written was enough to drive me mad. Every chapter changing the narrator. Tobia's appeal is that he seems dark, strong. It was alluring. In this conclusion, he comes across a lot weaker than I felt he would be. So they destroyed that character for me.

Then, lets briefly touch on the fact that this is a YA book. For pre-teen and teenage kids. You do not have to die to show you are brave. Seriously? The character did not have to die to show she was brave. Why such a depressing end for such a young audience. It was just ridiculous. Then the author goes on and on at the end trying to convince you why Tris had to die to show how brave she was and then Tobia's big tribute is zip lining. WOW. Just WOW.

F-

The publishers should be ashamed of themselves. It is obvious this author was not ready to truly develop this story properly or well, this is where the author's young age shows through.
on December 30, 2013
***This review contains Spoilers***

This is the most disappointing ending to a book I have ever read. I am all for heroic sacrifices - but only when they make sense, not when there are a hundred other options and I am left wondering why the main character chose the aboslute dumbest one. I could write a long and scathing review about so many things that don't make sense in the third book (the most obvious, Tobias not knowing that Tris would sacrifice herself to save Caleb, I knew she would do that from the moment he was voluntold to die for a stuipd cause) but I just want to keep it simple and focus on Tris' ending.

What bothered me the most was that Tris is / was supposed to be an intelligent character, she even put together how the entire attack against Abnegation was going to happen when Tobias just brushed the part of her neck that was injected with the serum in the first book. How does the author expect me to believe that Tris could not find another alternative to a suicide mission? If it bothered her that Caleb was giving his life for... not really sure for what actually, wouldn't it have made more sense to use the memory reset serum that Tobias took to his mother on David and made up some story about him needing to get into Weapons lab with her? Or just letting him reset everyone's memories and take more time with a better thought out mission? Because sacrificing your life for a bunch of people who will not die and only have a lapse in memory is not worth dying for - I'm not exactly sure what her sacrifice was for anyway. Her explanation in the lab does not make sense either. Her parents sacrificed their lives so that she and others would live because they were in the middle of being attacked. No one was being attacked here and no lives were hanging in the balance of a split second decision. The author didn't do us any favors either with Tobias just asking his mother to stop the war and her simply agreeing to it. What the HECK was that? (maybe she was over the book at this point) Again, Tris pointlessly sacrificed her life when all they had to do was talk to David about trying to fix things themselves before resetting everyone's memory. It would not have been a difficult conversation considering David would do about anything so his experiment would not be shut down.

I would have been completely fine with Tris sacrificing her life in the urgency of the moment, to save Tobias, her brother, or the entire society living within the 'experiment', but this was complete bull. She had PLENTY of time to get into the Weapons lab about a thousand other ways than how the author chose to have her do it. I have been upset about Tris' death not because it was noble or needed, but because it was stupid and useless. She died for nothing and left poor Tobias to live out the rest of his life without her. She didn't even want to stay for him in the end, she preferred to "go" with her mom instead of fighting to stay alive for him. If you are going to kill off a main character, make the death worth it, I grieve more for Tobais and the fact that him Tris left him than Tris herself. Especially after the author completely changes his personality in the third book and makes him such a weak person. What happened to big, strong and intelligent Tobias? Maybe the serum he was injected with made him hormonal, I don't know.
on November 14, 2013
I am with so many of the reviewers here. This last book in Roth's Divergent trilogy is very disappointing. I also had to stop a few times to remember or check the beginning of the chapter to know who's voice I was reading. That's never a good sign for a reader. It was unnecessary to give us Four's mind throughout the book. It might have been better to save that change for after the death of our narrator. It didn't work and made the book's voice as a whole less interesting and true to what we knew of them before. She kept them apart far too much to give their voices different experiences but it just felt disingenuous. There was too much of this new part of the world to really get into properly and it didn't match the level of discovery and tension the first two books had. The interesting world she created and developed in books 1 and 2 was clumsily added to with no finesse or respect to the characters. The whole conflict boiled down to a terrible experiment left to go on way too long with no actual purpose that justified the end. How long were they really willing to wait for pure genes? People outside the bureau went on with their lives. More time should have been better spent trying to rehabilitate the individuals left to make better citizens and teaching them real skills instead of such a timely and costly experiment where they keep failing at it. Why leave people to live in squalor hating the government? What a waste to leave such a large portion of humanity suffering for such a lame reason as gene makeup. It's also nurture, education, environment, and nutrition. It's just so unnecessary and frankly stupid. This once promising trilogy goes out with such an anticlimactic whimper and the world of 1 and 2 didn't deserve it.