Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 14,621 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 18,118 reviews
on October 24, 2013
I finished this last night and afterwards I felt just dead inside. I absolutely hate when a series ends leaving me feeling unsatisfied and even, in this case, angry. I feel kind of betrayed by the author.

I loved Divergent. The book had its faults, but I really fell in love with the whole story, the characters, the romance between Tris and Four, the Factions, etc. I read and re-read Divergent probably 8-10 times. I bought the audio book version as well. I was SO PSYCHED about the movie! I bought Insurgent and devoured it as well. It didn't have quite the same magic for me that Divergent did, but I still loved it. So I was REALLY psyched to read Allegiant.

And maybe my hopes were too high.

I don't know.

That doesn't change the fact that this book utterly and completely disappointed me.

SPOILERS AHEAD

For real, SPOILERS!

READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!

**What's outside the fence?**

I was really excited, after reading the 'cliffhanger' ending to Insurgent, to find out what was outside the fence. I had my theories, and I was right about some, wrong about others. I was expecting the cameras and Truman Show-esque thing, but I was not expecting all the genetic manipulation crap. As soon as our heroes get outside the fence, there are chapters and chapters of info dumping and, to be honest, it's kind of dull. We learn that Chicago (and some other cities) were created as 'experiments' because of genetic manipulation gone wrong. Supposedly these cities were an attempt at creating more 'genetically pure' people (aka Divergents). This is so far-fetched and bizarre, but I was willing to go along with it.

**Tris and Four**

I wasn't against the dual perspective, though once I finished the book I realized why she HAD to write it in a dual perspective. However, I don't think it was done well. There were several times where I would get halfway through a chapter and not remember who I was in the head of at the time, mostly because the two narrators had identical voices.

Tris has always been an interesting character to me. I really liked that she was tough, but a little vulnerable and naive. I liked her progression through Divergent and Insurgent. She doesn't really progress much here. We've always known Tris is a selfless person who is more than willing to sacrifice herself for the greater good, or for her loved ones. That doesn't change here. More on that later. She does become kind of arrogant and holier-than-thou here, and it really started to bug me. She's 16, but she often acts (and everyone treats) her like a grown-up. She is pretty much always right in Allegiant and she makes sure everyone knows it.

Four was awesome in Divergent. He loses all of that awesomeness in Allegiant. He becomes quite whiny and pathetic to the point where I actually wanted Tris to break up with him. She probably should have, considering some of the stupid and completely out of character stuff he does. I really hated seeing him reduced to this quivering mess of a boy who does nothing but wax poetic about his mommy and daddy issues. Four was always strong, and he is the polar opposite of that here.

I did enjoy the progression of their relationship though. Some people have complained about the scene where Four accuses Tris of being jealous, but I actually liked it. I like that they, FOR ONCE, acted like TEENAGERS. Unfortunately that was a tiny part of this book, and for the rest of it they act like 30-40 year old worldly adults.

**THE END OF THE CONFLICT**

So we have Four's mother Evelyn running Chicago like a factionless tyrannical dictatorship. Johanna and Marcus running the Allegiant, trying to reinstate the factions.

Evelyn has been portrayed as a nearly heartless person, hell bent on making all the Factioned people clean toilets like the Factionless had to do for so many years. At the height of the conflict, she is willing to allow a "Death Serum" to kill pretty much everyone in Chicago in order to avoid going back to the Factions. This is when Four arrives and says "Hey Mom, I'll be your son again if you stop acting like a monster" and she goes "Okay."

She then negotiates with Marcus and Johanna. Marcus wants to take over as evil dictator and Johanna says "Nah, you're not gonna do that" and Marcus just says "Okay."

Conflict over.

WHAT?

WHAT????????????

**Mass Murder**

Roth has not shied away from killing off characters in the first two books, but I felt like most of that had a purpose. Tris' parents in the first book, Al (due to the guilt over his own actions towards Tris), Jeannine in Insurgent, and more. Deaths in Allegiant come just as rapidly and have even less meaning. Tori dies in a very sudden manner, and then is mostly forgotten about. She was referred to as the leader of the Dauntless, but she is killed and then is nothing more than an afterthought for the rest of the book.

Uriah's death is given a lot more page time, but only as a way to make Four feel like total garbage for getting involved in the rebellion and to make Tris "right" once again.

The biggest death of all was Tris, and this was the biggest disappointment to me. I will be straight up honest - I LIKE a happy ending. I read YA because I like knowing that things will most likely end up happy overall. I read romance because I know there will always be a happily ever after. HOWEVER, I can deal with a bittersweet ending so long as it feels satisfying and feels like closure.

Tris' death was NOT that ending.

Caleb's betrayal was a huge part of Insurgent, and that continues on in Allegiant. He has a LOT to atone for in Allegiant and when he volunteers for the suicide mission to help save everyone, he does it because he wants Tris to forgive him. And he doesn't want to live with the guilt of what he did. Instead of letting him, Tris forces him to let her go instead. I understand this. Tris forgave him and doesn't want him to die because he feels guilty. I get it.

HOWEVER

Caleb doesn't get that opportunity to redeem himself. While I understand that Tris acted the way she had to act, that doesn't mean Caleb can't take a bullet for her. That doesn't mean he can't force a redemption. Instead, Tris dies in a completely unsatisfying scene that left me going "WHAT THE HECK JUST HAPPENED?" Caleb lives and basically still is the coward and traitor.

Caleb NEEDED to redeem himself. He needed to take that bullet for Tris and die.

Instead, we get this messed up ending where Caleb lives. Peter lives (gets his mind erased BY HIS OWN CHOICE and gets to start over). Marcus lives (just disappears somehow). David (Tris' murderer) lives (also gets his mind erased and even though he's an evil murderer, no one cares because he doesn't remember). Almost all the bad guys live and get to have perfectly happy, normal lives.

This is NOT SATISFYING.

THIS IS POINTLESS.

Sorry, but this book was awful. I wanted to love it. I REALLY wanted to love it. I was willing to deal with all the weird genetically damaged stuff. I was willing to deal with the complete dismantling of Four's character. I was willing to deal with a lot, but Tris' pointless and needless death... NOPE. This death felt like it was here for shock value only. So the author could be "edgy" and "different."

Unfortunately, all she did for me is ruin the entire series. I won't be re-reading Divergent or Insurgent anymore. I won't be re-reading Allegiant. And I definitely won't be seeing the movies that I was once so excited for. Knowing how depressingly it ends ruins it all for me
5150+ comments| 2,437 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 23, 2013
**Spoilers**

Allegiant is proving to be quite the controversy, though perhaps not for the reasons it should. The series was never going to be fine literature, though I was definitely entertained and devoured the first two books; they were escapist and overall a good read. After reading Insurgent I found out that Veronica Roth is quite vocal about her Christian background, which set up certain expectations for the climax of the final book (in more ways that one, you might say). However, I didn't find her tone at all preachy or heavy-handed in the first two novels - that changes a bit here. This final book has definite changed how I'm going to view the movies as they come out, and will make it hard to read the first two books again.

I had absolutely no ideas about what might happen in Allegiant, so I was excited to find out how the series would conclude. However, I think there were missteps - some apparent right from the beginning. From a narrative standpoint, my biggest qualm was the shift in perspective; while I didn't mind seeing things through Four's eyes, he is not the person who led me into this world, and is not the most reliable or interesting narrator. There was also hardly any narrative between Tris and Four - often I read a few pages into a chapter before realizing I was picturing the wrong person. Switching back and forth every other chapter is a bit hacky - check out how George RR Martin does it to get an idea of how multiple perspective is used skillfully. I see now why Roth decided to do this, but I think she could have cut of Tris's voice and ended with Four's and we still would have had the same journey.

The actual storyline also frustrated me a bit; I was rather disappointed to find out what was outside the city because it took some of the magic away. Everything slows around the middle of the book, and I found myself wondering how it could possibly be wrapped up in a cohesive way (which, in truth, it doesn't quite do). Most of the book is far away from the world that was created in the first two books, which is a risky choice. I definitely saw more of Roth's religious background in this book as well (quite obviously in Tris' questioning of God and the destruction of her reality).

Which leads me to the end - the focal point for 99% of the reviews up so far. From a purely literary standpoint, I don't have a problem with the main character dying. We readers are so used to happy endings that we forget how often a narrative can't logically conclude with the heroine dancing into the sunset, but I really don't think this is why Tris died. I thin Roth made a calculated choice that was consistent with her views, but not with the text, or rather, what we all bought into in the text. Tris' death was very symbolic (the Christ imagery is a little overdone here) but unsatisfying. I kept expecting her to pop out in the last few chapters - a sign that the death was not fully resolved. Make no mistake, the heart of the series went with Tris, which is why so many people are finding it hard to take, I think.

You definitely need to suspend reality to believe the ending has any sort of permanence, that Tris died to save something real - lose that and the ending stings that much more. I don't think the book deserves a 1 star rating, but I, for one, can't get fully behind a series that ends on a bum note. In Game of Thrones, it's tragic when a character meets their grisly end, but there are other full-formed characters who can carry the book. The biggest problem here is that Four is not fully-developed; we see him from Tris' eyes, and when we lose that it all feels a little hollow. I also just didn't expect the book to take the turn it did when it pulled the rug out from the first two books, and I'm not sure I liked it - we've seen the genetics allegory before, and done better.

To sum up: There isn't enough narrative weight in Allegiant to support the bold moves that Roth makes. The storyline is a bit lacking compared to the first two novels, and at the end of the day, the ideas expressed here feel out of place - these readers (myself included) just wanted to happy ending! But hey, it didn't offend me and it got me thinking, so maybe that alone makes it a little successful.
on October 25, 2013
Had the ending made sense, it is likely I could have forgiven what I consider to be an illogical and hole-filled plot that bordered on comical at points in how different it was from the first book, Divergent. I did not enjoy the second book, Insurgent as much as I enjoyed Divergent, but still eagerly anticipated the closing book to this series. I now question whether I will read any of these books ever again. I cannot ever see myself revisiting Allegiant, but hey, they already have my money from the physical book purchase and again for a kindle version purchase, so I suppose that doesn't matter to Roth or her publisher.

The only conclusion I can come to on the end of this book is that the writer and her publishers were trying to shock us as readers. Will, mission accomplished. I was shocked. And dismayed. I feel Roth broke the cardinal rule in YA. I won't get into that as it would spoil the end of the story, but the ending of the book felt like a cop out in almost every way imaginable. This should serve as a cautionary tale for other YA writers shock value to get attention for a day will probably hurt the book in the long run. I don't think I will ever read anything Roth writes again. I just can't trust her to be fair to the characters. They are her characters and she can do what she wants with them, but it is my money, and she will not be seeing any more from me. I won't be seeing the movie either, because, what's the point? I hope it was worth it.

I just feel so let down and sorry for these characters. They deserved better than their fate. The writing was confused and it was difficult at points to determine whether it was Tris or Four's voice in a chapter. The sounded so similar to me at points. While I appreciated the more adult nature of their relationship in working through arguments and the like, I never found myself moved by their arguments and or the resolutions to those arguments. It seems that every problem had a very simplistic solution and that seemed to be because Roth tried to cram too much plot into too small a space, so the resolutions seems too easy and hollow.

It is just too bad. I so rarely write reviews, but I am so terribly disappointed by the ending of this book, I can't help but share my experience with others. I am very sorry to have to write this review. I had such high hopes this story would have a satisfying ending.
on March 1, 2014
While I enjoyed the world Ms. Roth created in Divergent and Insurgent, Allegiant was a real disappointment. The concept of Tris' death was not a "shock" - she was raised in Abnegation - but a good story would have given her death a believable framework and used it to shape a strong ending that resonates with readers. Ms. Roth did neither of these things. Futhermore, she seemed to have forgotten that Tris and Tobias are two very different people - she writes their POV in the same voice -- this lazy execution destroys both characters.
The scientific rationale used to explain the existence of this society is laughable -- really, a prerequisite for using genetics as plot device should be a rudimentary understanding of how the ideas in the author's mind would ACTUALLY HAPPEN. Choosing to add a science fiction angle should mean the author bothers to find out how the science actually works! Ms. Roth clearly did not respect her readers' intelligence enough to do so. A strong editor (or a college professor with honest comments and a red pen!) would have been a blessing here - ending this promising trilogy with such a poorly written, unevenly paced, shoddily plotted volume is a shame.
The message for Ms. Roth -- if you have only enough material for two good books, stop there. Don't release a vastly inferior conclusion for a paycheck or to meet a deadline -- take your time, get the sources and help you need to create a quality final installment, for that is how you will be remembered. YA is an oft-maligned genre, which is a shame, as I have enjoyed many well-written YA books. Allegiant is not one of them.
on December 30, 2013
***This review contains Spoilers***

This is the most disappointing ending to a book I have ever read. I am all for heroic sacrifices - but only when they make sense, not when there are a hundred other options and I am left wondering why the main character chose the aboslute dumbest one. I could write a long and scathing review about so many things that don't make sense in the third book (the most obvious, Tobias not knowing that Tris would sacrifice herself to save Caleb, I knew she would do that from the moment he was voluntold to die for a stuipd cause) but I just want to keep it simple and focus on Tris' ending.

What bothered me the most was that Tris is / was supposed to be an intelligent character, she even put together how the entire attack against Abnegation was going to happen when Tobias just brushed the part of her neck that was injected with the serum in the first book. How does the author expect me to believe that Tris could not find another alternative to a suicide mission? If it bothered her that Caleb was giving his life for... not really sure for what actually, wouldn't it have made more sense to use the memory reset serum that Tobias took to his mother on David and made up some story about him needing to get into Weapons lab with her? Or just letting him reset everyone's memories and take more time with a better thought out mission? Because sacrificing your life for a bunch of people who will not die and only have a lapse in memory is not worth dying for - I'm not exactly sure what her sacrifice was for anyway. Her explanation in the lab does not make sense either. Her parents sacrificed their lives so that she and others would live because they were in the middle of being attacked. No one was being attacked here and no lives were hanging in the balance of a split second decision. The author didn't do us any favors either with Tobias just asking his mother to stop the war and her simply agreeing to it. What the HECK was that? (maybe she was over the book at this point) Again, Tris pointlessly sacrificed her life when all they had to do was talk to David about trying to fix things themselves before resetting everyone's memory. It would not have been a difficult conversation considering David would do about anything so his experiment would not be shut down.

I would have been completely fine with Tris sacrificing her life in the urgency of the moment, to save Tobias, her brother, or the entire society living within the 'experiment', but this was complete bull. She had PLENTY of time to get into the Weapons lab about a thousand other ways than how the author chose to have her do it. I have been upset about Tris' death not because it was noble or needed, but because it was stupid and useless. She died for nothing and left poor Tobias to live out the rest of his life without her. She didn't even want to stay for him in the end, she preferred to "go" with her mom instead of fighting to stay alive for him. If you are going to kill off a main character, make the death worth it, I grieve more for Tobais and the fact that him Tris left him than Tris herself. Especially after the author completely changes his personality in the third book and makes him such a weak person. What happened to big, strong and intelligent Tobias? Maybe the serum he was injected with made him hormonal, I don't know.
on November 14, 2013
I am with so many of the reviewers here. This last book in Roth's Divergent trilogy is very disappointing. I also had to stop a few times to remember or check the beginning of the chapter to know who's voice I was reading. That's never a good sign for a reader. It was unnecessary to give us Four's mind throughout the book. It might have been better to save that change for after the death of our narrator. It didn't work and made the book's voice as a whole less interesting and true to what we knew of them before. She kept them apart far too much to give their voices different experiences but it just felt disingenuous. There was too much of this new part of the world to really get into properly and it didn't match the level of discovery and tension the first two books had. The interesting world she created and developed in books 1 and 2 was clumsily added to with no finesse or respect to the characters. The whole conflict boiled down to a terrible experiment left to go on way too long with no actual purpose that justified the end. How long were they really willing to wait for pure genes? People outside the bureau went on with their lives. More time should have been better spent trying to rehabilitate the individuals left to make better citizens and teaching them real skills instead of such a timely and costly experiment where they keep failing at it. Why leave people to live in squalor hating the government? What a waste to leave such a large portion of humanity suffering for such a lame reason as gene makeup. It's also nurture, education, environment, and nutrition. It's just so unnecessary and frankly stupid. This once promising trilogy goes out with such an anticlimactic whimper and the world of 1 and 2 didn't deserve it.
on October 26, 2013
After loving the first two books in this series, I cannot help but being so disappointed in this final installment. I am just beside myself with how many things are wrong with this book, but these are my main complaints:
First, the switching points of views from chapter to chapter. I kept forgetting which point of view I was reading from throughout the book. I have read plenty of stories where the author changes points of view and never had a problem keeping track of which person's viewpoint the story is being told from. There was just no real distinction in their thoughts, it all read the same way.
Second, the setting of the story made me disconnect from it more. The first two books are so well established in the setting of Chicago. It was its own world, and now we are torn away from it all that is going on there to be placed in this sterile environment with all these new people that I have no connection with and don't care about for the majority of the story.
Third, the big reveal about the purpose of the factions was such a let down. It was anticlimactic and, well, boring. It made me immediately think, how can there be over 300 pages left in this story? Where can she be going with this, and how can it be a good story? Well, my answer was, she ultimately went nowhere with the story, and it's not good.
Fourth, where was the action? I felt like so much of the story was wasted on explanations of a world that Tris and Tobias knew nothing about, or trying to figure out who is lying to them and who is not. I wasn't compelled to keep reading. The first two books I couldn't put down and read them each in a day. This book took me five days because I knew it would just keep getting worse, and it did.
Finally, the ending. It felt so unnecessary and without reason, like she wrote it that way because it would be the unexpected thing to do (or maybe just the sacrificial thing, since that was such a major theme of the story). But I just feel cheated. I started on a journey with Tris in Divergent and I did not get to finish this journey with her.
on October 29, 2013
It is difficult to know where to start. I was really looking forward to this book, and it was an enormous bummer.
There were so many " how the heck did we get here" moments. The story lurches from one event to the next. I Kept feeling like I had missed some huge important part of the story. Tobias/Four seemed to have some sort of major personality meltdown. He was an entirely different character. I expected that there would be some maturation of Tobias and Tris in this third book, but they seemed to have regressed instead. Their relationships to the new characters had no forethought, no logic.
The alternating point of view between Tris and Tobias was confusing. They had the same voice. I kept having to stop and try to remember who was talking. After a while I gave up trying.
As for the ending... Yes, it was unexpected, and heartbreaking,. Beyond that, it did not make any sense to the plot of the entire series. The way Tobias' emotional reaction was handled through all those sort little chapters was...well... stupid (I really tried to find a different word.) Those were not chapters. Did Veronica Roth have a chapter quota to meet?
I can picture this story being rewritten into two separate volumes with the missing plot and character development fleshed out properly. I would not read them though unless the ending was changed to fit the plot progression from the previous books, and to show maturation of the characters.
on November 1, 2013
I pre-ordered Allegiant after reading the first 2 books in the trilogy. I finished it last night, and I have to say I am disappointed.

First off, I don't like the two voices switching off. I think that was confusing, and the two didn't really seem all that different. Sometimes I had to look back to see who was the narrator of that chapter.

Secondly, I found the whole GP, GD thing confusing and not fleshed out completely. Were the GP people who never underwent genetic "fixing"? Did generations of GD reproducing produce GP? Is GP what Divergent people are? And the Purity War - did the GP start it, and win it, and destroy all media/books/files about history so that no one know there were wars before that one? Huh? That just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I was looking forward to finding out WHY Chicago was destroyed and cut off, and WHY these people separated into factions. This just didn't do it for me - it seemed like a rushed answer.

Third - I know it's a young adult book, but come on - they escape the city and live, for a time, in relative peace in the government compound - in a DORMITORY?? In an old airport Hilton with tons of guest rooms that I assume all have beds - we put these young adults in a dormitory? Enough with the kissing and touching - let them find a bed and DO IT!

And lastly, the ending. I didn't like the ending. But, I didn't hate it either. I read a review here by Stephanie, and she wrote an alternate ending that I really like. I'm going to pretend that's the way the book really ended.

I guess I just had higher expectations for this book that weren't met.
on January 6, 2014
** Please beware of spoilers **

This is the end to a completely different series!!! It was ridiculously unfulfilling in so many ways and so many stupid things happen that I cannot give it a pass.

I am not going to get into many details because I think others have already fleshed out most of the main problems with this book, so I suppose I'll just highlight a few things.

My problem with the book does not stem from the fact that Tris dies. I thought it was quite brave from the author to kill the heroine, actually. HOWEVER, as so many have stated before, Tris' death was completely, utterly pointless. It's not so much that she decides to go in instead of her brother, but rather the way she dies. If she had simply succumbed to the death serum after completing the task it would not have been as bad. But to put David in there to kill her with a gun, just because? ALSO: she had just stated, again and again, that she wanted to live, including right before this whole thing goes down. And then we're just supposed to believe that, when faced with the image of her mom from the beyond, she would just let go?? Just like that?? That she suddenly felt like dying to atone for what she had done wrong?? I don't buy it. So, in the end, it looks to me like the author was simply going for shock value here (and perhaps working out some frustrations of her own with other book series - Harry Potter, anyone??), which is a very stupid thing to do, indeed and quite obviously upset many people.

The biggest problem for me though is that this book is not only extremely badly written, but also totally disconnected from the two that preceded it (which were actually well written, I thought). Re-reading them all now, without the rush of getting to the end to know what happens, I can see that there were some things in Divergent and Insurgent that could have been interpreted as leading towards the revelations we got in Allegiant, but still... nothing concrete, objective or substantial. Thus, it becomes pretty clear that she was making stuff up as she went along, something which can only be acceptable if you go through a rigorous editing process, which this book clearly did not.

I will not even get started on the absurdity of the genetic theory used here, but I'll just say this: After a careful re-read I realized that she actually explains that the people who were placed in the cities had corrected genes "inserted" into them, as in, had their own damaged genes "fixed" (!!!!!!) and then they were put in the cities to reproduce and pass on the good/corrected genes, not the bad/damaged genes to future generations in some magical way. Honestly, my biggest problem with this explanation (terrible science aside, obviously) is that actually, it shows divergence to be something completely different from what we originally thought it was (As in, it doesnt mean you have a more flexible personality, only that your genes are pure). True, twists like this are common in literature and in movies, but it takes some work to get there and you build up to it, as in, you provide sutil hints and ultimately an explanation as to why that was done. The fact that David states that the Edith Prior video was complete hoghwash just proves to me that the author had absolutely no idea where the story would go from the cliffhanger in Insurgent and decided to go in a completely different direction in Allegiant, by making the Divergent thing a lot bigger and different than it had been in the first two books. It also seems to me that the reality of the world revealed in Allegiant was too huge and too overhelming to be covered in just one book, so she just gave up and took the easiest, laziest way out that she saw.

Quite honestly speaking, I got the feeling that she was done with the story she wanted to tell in Insurgent, but she already had the deal for a third book, so she had to come up with something and this was her best effort... which was just not good enough, I'm afraid. The fact that this looks more like a poorly developed early draft points in that direction, i.e. that they were running out of time and had to put something out and this was it.

And while I know that that's the way things unfortunately are sometimes, I still consider it to be extremely disrespectful to us fans. We deserved something A LOT better than this and I sincerely hope there will be a re-write sometime soon, even if it is in the form of a fourth book where they travel back in time or an alternative reality is shown.

I still hold out hope that this series will have the ending it deserves, because Allegiant was DEFINITELY not it.
22 comments| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse