Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CMA Fest Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now STL18_GNO

on May 5, 2014
This is my first real nice pair of shoes, so it's hard to compare it to anything more than the cheap stuff I've used in the past.

The leather is just stunning looking, the color of it, feel of it, stitch work, the way it shines up and beams in the right light, it even smells great.... just a beautiful shoe. Also, the solid oak heel sounds and feels amazing. There's really something about walking on a sidewalk with that click clack.

The Walnut color also allows some versatility, it practically goes with everything besides black. It's a shoe you can wear to more formal events/work places and one that you can wear with jeans on Saturday, it's pretty great.

The shoe feels amazing as well, after a day or two of wearing it, I broke it in and it's easily now the most comfortable shoe I've ever used.

The big caveat is the sizing, this shoe is strange in that it's significantly longer and more narrow than your traditional shoe. In your average shoe I'll wear a 10.5, maybe an 11 in sneakers. So I ordered a 10.5D.. the thing was painful to wear even just sitting at my desk.

So after doing research and figuring out how Allen Edmond's sizing works a bit with a 9.5EEE, which ended up fitting amazingly. Apparently with each width increase your also going to get a bit of length. But now it fits much more nicely, the lace gap closes much more, and the shoe was significantly more comfortable immediately. In fact I possibly could have gone down to 9EEE and that might have been even better, which again as someone with fairly normal feet who wears around 10.5-11s in other shoes that's just crazy.

Amazon was very gracious with the exchange process and even sent me free expedited shipping on the wider pair so I'd have them in time for an pair of events, but I'd still recommend trying to get a fit at a brick and mortar location first if possible (wasn't for me) they'll size you up and fit the perfect pair for you. Currently Amazon seems to sell the D width and EEE only. According to AE the difference is about 3/16 of an inch for each width, so someone might be more keen on E or EE or even the more narrow ones.
6 people found this helpful
on March 12, 2016
I picked these up last fall while they were on sale for $275 and it's one of the best investments I've made. The shoes broke in after about 3 weeks of wear and are like wearing house slippers. When they arrived, there was a slice in the sole near the toe. I contacted Allen Edmonds and they fixed it for free and paid all shipping. This gave me a lot of confidence in their recrafting service which I plan on using when the sole wears through. This plus the fit and gorgeous style of the shoe made this a no-brainer for me.

If you're looking for a shoe that can range between blue jeans and the semi formal suit, look no further. These shoes are amazing.
One person found this helpful
on December 16, 2013
Still very new, so I can't give any review of how they wear after time, but I can say that, whereas I am a typical 10.5 (D), I wear a 10 (E) in this shoe because the last is long and narrow. I can also say that the leather of these is very rigid when you first get them, but hopefully they will loosen, soften and conform to my feet with time and wear. I can also say that they are a very nice looking shoe and the toe is not as pointed as some other shoes/brands I have tried. I am only giving them 3 stars right now because they have not earned more, but, hopefully, I can come back and upgrade them if they wear well. [Edit] After having these shoes for a few months, and I wear them about once a week, not only am I very pleased with their looks and construction, they now wear and feel much better. They are not the most comfortable pair of dress shoes I own, but being the only pair of handmade shoes I own, it is possible that the comfort will continue to improve over time.
on January 13, 2014
This shoe looks amazing (as you can tell from the images). What you can't see is that it also *sounds* amazing - I love the authoritative clap of these on hard floors.

I will say that I've had a couple of problems with durability. The heal on one shoe just up and fell off one day when I was at the office (after about 9 months of fairly light, office use). Fortunately, Allen Edmonds sent me a brand new pair so their customer service is pretty solid. Unfortunately, the replacement pair has been about as problematic as the first pair. Within a day of wearing them, they developed several very deep creases in the leather upper. Now, after about another 6 months of light use, one of the heals is starting to separate again.

While I think these may be the most beautiful shoes I've owned, I won't be purchasing from AE again - it's just too much money to be dealing with the quality control issues that they apparently suffer from.
on June 26, 2015
Needed a pair of shoes that would make me look professional, but I didn't want some super-shiny pair of ostentatious shoes in walnut or white or anything. I got the "dark brown burnished" color, and it's just what I was looking for: Sturdy, understated, looks great with dark jeans, and doesn't attract any unwanted attention. Be aware, though, that out of the box the shoes look considerably darker than in the image. Not black or anything, but it seems like it's going to be a while before they lighten up.
on November 25, 2013
When I first purchased these shoes they looked too perfect to wear. They certainly look great and will get you tons of complements from your snobby coworkers. But they are really tight fitting at first. It took me a couple of dozen wears to finally feel like my feet were going to handle the pain. I really like these shoes though and they have this awesome western style toe design. I own a pair of italian dress shoes from nordstrom, and I think these are superior in design and construction. Every piece of these shoes displays the hand-crafted look, even the soles. They also have a great sounding clack sound on marble floors, so if you're following somebody walking too slow they hear you behind them.

I bought the Allen Edmonds shoe polish and it is decent, but I'm going to try Kiwi next time. I would recommend buying AE shoe trees compared to other brands. AE trees are better than the ones I have from Nordstrom because they are larger and fill out the shoe more. I think they have helped keep the shoes looking new. The shoes also smell good all day because the cedar absorbs the moisture.
on February 25, 2015
I love these shoes, I wear a size 16 in some shoes but I had to buy these in 15 which is great because it means I have a better chance of them being made for me if my size is smaller. The color is beautiful and the fit and finish are excellent, I used to buy Kenneth Cole Reaction for the price but finally dropped some money on a pair of quality shoes and matching belts. I tell you there is nothing like having an outfit that looks great from head to toe. I will probably get 1 more pair as not to wear them out because I have flat feet and a pronation which is hard on shoes. The fit is excellent, the quality is awesome as well, the leather holds up well in the weather and still maintains a great finish.
3 people found this helpful
on January 23, 2012
I have tried the less expensive brands(Cole Haan, Kennith Cole, etc.), yet the value of Allen Edmonds still far exceeds the value of those brands. The initial price point is higher, but after only a few wears, all concerns disappear. The Strand model was my second pair of Allen Edmonds. The first I mistakenly purchased a size too big. However, I nailed the size on the Strand perfectly. I can be on my feet all day and have no aches at all. The shoes look classy and have nice brogue details.

This is a timeless shoe that will last a long time. The leather work is excellent and the shoe is quite durable.

Pros:
Durable shoe, built to last
Nice brogue details
quality leather and construction
the shoes look sharp
COMFORTABLE
good overall value

Cons:
Initial price, although these will last you a significant amount of time longer than most less expensive dress shoes.
One person found this helpful
on January 2, 2013
I have recently become somewhat of a shoe fan. I have a few other allen edmonds shoes (park ave, Fifth ave, Mcallister, Kiowa, Pronto). These are my favorite shoes. The walnut color is awesome and these shoes are the most versatile, you can wear them with a suit or just slacks and a shirt and they look equally nice. Jeans would be a bit of a stretch because they are cap toes, but I have my Mcallisters for denim.

I'm 30 and was unsure about the "fashionableness"(think I just made that word up) of these shoes, but I knew I really liked them. Since I've been wearing them they have gotten compliments from tons of women and even alot of guys (even younger guys - early 20s to my surprise).

They really are a nice balance between subtle/dressy and attention grabbing.

They feel pretty good on my feet but just as a heads up, the sizing is long (all AE shoes on this last are) I wear a 15 2E sneakers and in these the 13 EEE fit perfect.
6 people found this helpful
on June 10, 2015
These shoes are beautiful AND comfortable. Having read the other reviews, I was worried about comfort. So the first 3 times I wore them, I stayed in the house. I think having my warm foot in the shoes for several hours before wearing the out for a day, may have helped. The only issue with the shoes is a break-in squeak that both shoes have where the tongue is breaking in and rubbing against the upper leather. This will break in and I may help it with some saddle soap or polish. It was also hard to find a nice matching belt, since the color is lighter brown.
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.