Amazon.com: Customer Reviews:
Amazon Vehicles GoldBox Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports

• Customer Reviews

on February 16, 2013
It works and I have some tips on maximizing your weight loss potential, in addition, ignore the reviews that say it tastes disgusting, it doesn't if you make it right!

I lost 16 pounds in two weeks on almased. I did the 14 day fast, having only 3 shakes per day. I was not hungry and there are some secrets to my success and here they are:

1. The first 3 days your metabolism will need to adjust to lower calories, so for these crucial days have as many shakes as you need. Day one I needed 5 shakes, Day 4 four shakes and by day 3 I was fine with three shakes per day. The almased instructions say that you can have more than three shakes the first couple of days. You can't expect your body to adjust from 2,000 or more calories and 500 calories overnight. So my tip is, for the first 3 days, have a shake as frequently as you need. For some people that could be every four hours, for others that might be every two hours and some people might even need one every hour. In order to have success on this, you MUST allow your body to gradually adjust. This is why people fail the first three days saying they were too hungry and couldn't make it on 3 shakes per day.

2. Taste - I used lots of cinnamon, 1 pack of stevia and Silk vanilla almond milk which is 30 calories and 0 carbs. It tasted delicious. I will say though that in order for the flavor to be at my liking I did 5 to 6 scoops. Any more than that and the taste was just too concentrated. So you may have to use less scoops if the flavor is too strong or too concentrated.

3. Drink Immediately - If you let it sit, it thickens and is hard to get down. It's important to drink immediately after preparing and it's best to prepare in a smoothie blender or regular blender to get it smooth.

4. Oil - Almased instructions say to use 1 teaspoon of olive oil. However, coconut oil facilitates fat loss more than olive oil (and tastes way better) and you can search Google for clinical studies that prove this. I recommend purchasing coconut oil and using 1 teaspoon of coconut oil with each shake, it tastes delicious and helps speed weight loss more than olive oil.

5. Vitamin D - I HIGHLY recommend taking vitamin D3. For one, it suppresses the appetite and you can find proof of this via online clinical studies. Also vitamin D stimulates the body to go into fat-burning mode as opposed to fat-storing mode. If you are overweight or gaining weight easily, your body is in fat-storing mode, so adequate vitamin D is crucial. 10,000 IU to 20,000 IU per day is beneficial for weight loss and other benefits. Don't take my word for it, you can find studies on Google by searching "weight loss and vitamin D" as well as "obesity and vitamin D" and "Vitamin D and appetite suppression." Studies show that vitamin D levels at the start of a low calorie diet predict weight loss success. Just search Google because Amazon doesn't let us post links.

The price is kind of expensive. Vitacost has Almased on sale for $19.99 per can. I recommend finding Almased on sale!
7373 comments| 2,241 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 19, 2012
Today starts the fourth week of the diet and I am most pleased. The first week went so well, I stayed close to it, supplementing a meal of salad every day or two, and I feel really good. No alcohol, no meat, no fowl; protein is coming from Silk, Almased and fish. Most of my fat intake comes from extra virgin olive oil. I supplement the diet with flavored mineral water, usually Glaceau Zero, drinking a minimum of 60 oz. each day.

This morning's weigh-in showed I weigh 222.4 lb., down 16.4 lb. from the 238.8 I weighed on February 27th. For me, every ten pounds is about an inch around my waist, so every pair of slacks I own now fit again. It's a good feeling.

My wife started the diet on the same day and doing is doing measurably well. Last time we talked about it, which was several days ago, she was down 12 lb. and I know she has lost weight since then. The Almased keeps my hunger in check for at least four hours, but my wife doesn't seem to have the same experience. What seems to work for her is smaller doses of Almased more often and raw veggies in between if grows hungry.

Other reviewers address cost, within our household the cost is easily justified by savings at the grocery store and restaurants.

We are both very pleased with the purchases.

Five week update:

We are both sticking close to the Almased diet and after five full weeks on the diet, I lost 27.8 pounds, moving from 238.8 to this morning's weigh in at 211.0. Feel good, and averaging about .8 pounds per day weight loss. We are dieting during lent, and I elected to forego meat and fowl, eating only vegetables and fish, Almased mixed with Silk light vanilla soy milk and a little sugar free DaVinci vanilla or caramel syrup. Weight loss during the five weeks is an average .8 pounds per day and 5.6 pounds per week.

Three and one half weeks into the diet, I had a doctor's visit with full blood work. The only difficulty was a very slight increase in liver enzyme. Blood pressure 118/75 and total cholesterol is 104 with a ratio of 1.09 Doctor wants me below 200, and I have that goal in sight.

Seven week update:

After seven weeks, I am down 36.5 pounds moving from 238.8 to 202.4 for an average of .7 pounds per day. Took a half dozen older sport coats to the Goodwill. Lost four inches from my waist and dropped one full coat size from 48 to 46. My wife has been on the diet the same amount of time and she is currently down ~28 pounds and more than two dress sizes. Together, we have lost about 65 pounds.

Blood pressure is now averaging 105/60 and resting heartbeat is down 20 beats per minute.
1717 comments| 888 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 1, 2013
I rarely write reviews but feel that I really need to contribute. When I was debating whether or not to buy this product, I read all the reviews posted to help make my decision. Aside from a few, most of the reviews were not helpful because they were really vague. I've been using this product for 4 days now and I hope my review will be helpful to someone.

There are alot of complaints about the taste of Almased and I can see why but I was able to tweak my recipe so that it actually tastes good to me! The program tells you how many tablespoons of powder to use based on your height and it suggests using 10-12 ounces of liquid (preferably water) and 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil or other fatty acid. The first time I tried it, I used 6 tbs of the powder (I'm only 5 feet), 6oz of low fat original soy milk, 6oz of water and 2 ice cubes. I left out the olive oil because the idea of putting oil in my drink weirded me out. I blended it. The result tasted like regular unsweetened oatmeal that was microwaved with too much water. Seriously, this is what it tasted like. I was able to drink it all but I was not looking forward to drinking it again. The next time I made it, I used 6 tbs of powder, 6oz of low fat VANILLA soy milk, 6oz of water, 3 ice cubes and blended it twice as long. This time, the consistency was waaay better, like a milkshake and the taste was very much improved and I actually enjoyed it. The next day, I used 6 tbs of powder, 6oz low fat vanilla soy milk, 6oz water, 3 ice cubes and 2 tbs of vanilla extract, blended all together and it tasted really good. By this time, I was actually looking forward to drinking it! Now that I got the taste down, I was ready to add the olive oil. So using the last recipe, I just added a teaspoon of olive oil and blended everything. Suprisingly, I couldn't taste the olive oil at all in the drink and the oil actually improved the texture of the powder. The powder is grainy if you don't blend it well but I found that adding the olive oil made the texture a lot smoother. So my recipe is: 6 tbs of powder, 6oz of low fat vanilla soy milk, 6oz of water, 2 tbs of vanilla extract, 1 tps of olive oil, 3 ice cubes and blend, blend, blend. The result is kinda yummy actually and I look forward to drinking it. For variety, try it with coconut milk---that's really good too. I'm also thinking of trying it with chocolate soy milk...

I haven't been able to follow the program's regimen exactly because I just can't do an all liquid diet (I need solid food at least once a day) and the vegetable broth doesn't ring my bell so I tweaked the regimen also. I've been drinking the shake 3 times a day plus a green papaya, carrot and cucumber salad. The shake keeps me full for about 3 hours which is pretty good considering I'm starving after drinking other protein powder drinks because the sugar level is so high. When I need to last an extra hour before my next shake, I drink ice cold water or green/ooglong tea.

Hope this is helpful regarding taste and texture. I can't really comment on the weight loss yet because I started the regimen 2 days before my cycle and as all women know, your cycle messes with your weight. I can tell you however, that I weighed myself 3 days into the regimen and 2 days into my cycle and I had lost 2lbs. Normally, my weight goes up 3-4lbs when I'm on my cycle so it is possible that I lost 5lbs in 3 days. I will post another review regarding the weight loss part when I can give you better and more accurate results.
88 comments| 1,033 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 19, 2012
This product definitely works. I lost six pounds in two days and could see my stomach flatten out almost immediately. I did the 3xday shake plan for the three days suggested with the hope that I would continue on to 2xday shake plan with a meal. I tried my best but I just couldn't stomach this shake. I tried everything to make it taste good. My best combo was 10 oz. unsweetened vanilla almond milk with coconut extract and cinnamon. I tried flaxseed but it was too bitter for my taste. I never looked forward to "meal" time and the smell made me nauseous. I did fairly well until the third day. It was late afternoon and I started to feel weak and just not right. I grabbed a small snack and felt better. I proceeded to drink my last shake of the day. Unfortunately, I woke up in the middle of the night feeling completely off. I was jittery and hungry. I went in the kitchen and grabbed a snack and immediately felt much better.

Also, I never felt full like others have commented. I always had that underlying gnawing hunger that made my day uncomfortable. If you want to try this product, my suggestion is to buy only one container of this shake and make sure you can handle the taste. I would also recommend doing the three shake a day plan only for two days. You can re-evaluate and go from there. I will personally go back to Weight Watchers Points Plus which doesn't deprive you of real food and is extremely manageable.

OK, it's now 3/21/12 and I wanted to update my review. Since my first review 3 months ago, I have not gained back one pound from the 6 lbs. that I lost with the Almased. I decided to give it another shot but changed up the ingredients and now don't think it tastes so bad. I use 10 oz of the 40 cal vanilla almond milk, 6 Tbs of Almased (that's the amt for my height), I add 2 Tbs on flax seed oil, 1 packet of Splenda, and pumpkin pie spice to taste. Oh my goodness, what a difference. It now doesn't taste so bad and the fact that I use all milk instead of a water/milk combo keeps me full longer. Another key is to make sure you mix it really good otherwise you'll have clumps of powder. I already lost 3 pounds on day one and hope to get through this time with no problems. Still not the best, but definitely worth trying.
3434 comments| 613 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 15, 2012
The first shake I made was Almased and water. I could barely drink it, it was so horrible tasting and chalky. i got out the paper inside the can and read it thoroughly, and the next shake I made I added unsweetened cocoa powder, vanilla, a T of EVOO and half a packet of sweetener and put it in the blender. It made all the difference and wasn't bad at all. The oil makes it much smoother so don't skip it. I'm 46 yrs old and have been trying to lose weight for 10+ years. After so many years of yo-yo dieting low carbs don't even work for me any more. I saw the ad for Almased and thought I'd try it. Today has been one full week of 3 shakes a day and no food. I am not hungry, I am not craving sweets like I always do or anything else for that matter. My metabolism must be up because I have energy (and my husband says I'm like Mrs. Howell when she ate the radioactive sugar beets). I have lost 8 lbs in this one week and am on to my second week. I planned on doing 3 shakes a day and no food for 14 days, then on to step 2, but I feel so good I don't know if I even want to go to step 2. I don't think I've had constipation but I did stop going to the bathroom, so every once in a while I take a magnesium pill with my shake and that does the trick. Pay attention to the serving amount on the instructions - if you're under 5'6" you only need 6 tablespoons per shake which will make you can last longer. This product is working well for me and has cleared my thoughts so that I can assess and think about how I eat in a more rational way for when I do start eating again. I feel removed from all foods' trappings right now and am able to really give thought to my eating habits. It's like I'm on vacation from all my food problems and it feels great.
2929 comments| 655 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 4, 2014
I used Almased for 2 months and did lose 9 pounds however I got a period after not having one for a year and a half. I called by GYN and she ordered hormone levels and my estrogen level was 7800!!! Extremely high. I immediately stopped almased and had my level repeated 6 weeks later and it came down to 18. If you are post or peri menopausal speak to you physician before taking this especially if you have cancer or cancer risk factors. Some people are very sensitive to soy so this may not be safe for you. I have never written a review before but just wanted to warn you before you purchase this product.
22 comments| 113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 8, 2011
I think this is a great product for many reasons. It is one of the more natural meal replacement/protein shakes, I haven't experienced a dive in blood sugar levels which usually leads to light-headedness or hypoglycemia, it gives me energy to exercise and live like a human being, not a hungry zombie, and doesn't taste sugary or sweet.
In the end, I think the choice on protein powders and its consequential success depends on what your body has good chemistry with. Almased is composed of yourt, honey and soy protein- ingredients I knew my body does very well with. If you are lactose intolerant, I probably don't think this would be your choice - get it? I also chose this because it is recommended for diabetics and has a low glycemic index. I am not diabetic, but I have a tendency towards hypoglycemia and that in itself poses some challenges because I usually feel very light-headed, dizzy, tired and sickeningly hungry on any diet, which makes it difficult to stay on any diet or exercise, not to mention that it's not a good recipe for success if you are looking for weight loss and long-term maintenance.
The other point that drove my decision to try Almased is its claim that it will prevent muscle loss- and they have a scientific explanation for it. There are many protein powders out there that "allude" to this with semantic manipulation or claim to it without any scientific backup. The only thing they have going for them is YOUR assumption that because it is high protein, you will not lose muscle, which is not true. If this was the case, all the body builders would JUST drink ONLY protein shakes, not drink it as a supplement. SO I found Almased's claim to be a pretty bold statement given that it is a meal replacement product, not just a protein shake. And I have to agree, during my first few days on its 3 shakes/day detox fast, I had lots of energy, was able to exercise for 45 minutes (to my surprise), and was able to do it easily- indicative of no muscle loss. If you go to their website, they have online brochures of 5 different weight loss/diet plans for your life, whatever that goal may be. It could be a 2 week weight loss plan, a detox and fasting plan, a bikini emergency weight loss plan, a diabetic figure plan, or regular long-term weight loss plan. I recommend you read all of them because they contain different information, including recipes, which could help you decide which plan is right for you and customize it to suit your goals.
I also think one should make the distinction between meal replacement shakes and protein shakes. In regards to the other amazon customer who suggested switching to Spirutein as a cheaper alternative, I want to point out Spirutein is not a meal replacement shake. Spirutein also contains fructose and derives many of its ingredients from fruit, which is probably not adviseable if you are diabetic. Since I have a tendency towards hypoglycemia, I did not want a fruit derived meal since I would crash within an hour. Alamased claims it will keep you full for 4 hours. Personally, it was 3 hours for me. And so I drank the veggie broth/v8 to pull me through (also recommended on the plan for their high mineral content).
As for the taste, it is not sugary or sweet, which I like. I am a healthy eater, and I don't like to "drink" sweet, grainy chocolate or strawberry or vanilla or sweet anything, particularly for breakfast. Don't you think that's an oxymoron? On the other hand, I don't want to drink grainy egg-protein either. E[...] But I like the way this shake tastes. It does taste a bit grainy, but it tastes like...grain. Like oat bran. I mix mine with unsweetened vanilla almond milk (very slight hint of vanilla flavor and high calcium) and a tsp of Udo's oil (since they recommend 1 tsp of oil 3X/day). Also, depending on your height/weight, how many tbsp of powder you use varies. I think if you are over 5'6", you take 8 TBSP, but less if you are under. This information is also on their website and diet plans.
This product does not contaim stimulants and is not an appetite suppressant, so I think it is safe to say you will be hungry. But this is the first time on a diet where I was able to experience hunger without feeling weak, tired, and without experiencing migraines or obsessing about food all day. I have lost weight, and it took discipline ( a lot), but it was the most pleasant ride I have had on any diet. I have lost the same amount of weight in the past on a healthy, restrictive eating plan with loads of exercise, and I was a miserable, hungry, exercise junky. I also feel empowered that in the future, I can use this meal replacement to control my weight the way that I choose, depending on how much and when I drink it. I think this powder is a healthy tool for your weight loss health.
99 comments| 747 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 1, 2013
There is a guy at work who is on a diet and he makes rice out of cauliflower and all this complicated food substitute stuff.... that is so NOT me! If it's not easy, I won't stick to it. I have a lot of obligations for my time and that is where Almased gets its first gold star. In less than 5 minutes, I can walk out of my house with breakfast in my hand. But there is so much more to be said! I am 47 years old. I have needed to lose these same 20 lbs for a decade. I am always outside - gardening, mowing, riding my horse, etc. I go through phases where I work out all the time (zumba!) and yet with all of these things, I still don't lose any weight. That's because I overeat. Maybe not at every meal, but usually, I just do by snacking during the day. Or, maybe it's what I eat - I have a Mexican food additction! And I love my cocktails here and there, too. I dont' think my "metabolism" works at all! So I read all the reviews and thought, what the heck - it sounds like it's close enough to a magic pill for me (I am always looking for one!). This is my 4th day on the plan and it has been magic for me. I am not hungry - I don't even think about food. It's weird and wonderful at the same time! I have been making my shakes like this: 5 scoops of Almased, 1 tsp. of either Olive or Coconut oil, 1 tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa, 1 packet of sweetener and 12 oz. of Silk, unsweetened Almond milk, blended in a blender with a few cubes of ice. By my calculations, that is 212.5 calories a shake. I have had 3 of them each day. So that means that for over 3 days now, I am happily living on 637.5 calories PER DAY! I just can't believe it. I couldn't live on 637 calories a day of salad, I know that! So there must be something in it that not only curbs my appetite but also keeps me from thinking about food - which is what I normally do when I'm dieting. I love this stuff! Oh, I have also been taking a Vitamin D3 with the morning and lunch shakes. Maybe that helps, I don't know, and I have been drinking plain water all day. I have lost a pound a day so far. I know I shouldn't weigh every day and I will stop but curiosity just got the best of me. I swear my pants already feel better. I haven't cooked a single meal for my poor husband in these 4 days - I don't need that kind of temptation. But, I will say this - I didn't get my shake for breakfast on Sunday before church. I am one of the ones who hand out the donuts and cinnamon rolls on Sunday mornings and I didn't touch them! I didn't feel deprived, faint, sick, shaky, any of that. I had a shake when I got home and I was fine. There is something to be said for what is in this stuff that keeps your blood sugar on an even keel. I truly believe that I will use Almased for the rest of my life. I know that eventually, I will eat a meal or two each day but I may have an Almased shake for breakfast from now now. And I plan to do a "maintenance" day here and there even when I do lose all the weight I want to and I know I will lose it. I took someone's advice and only ordered 1 can when I started. Some people do not like the taste, I guess, but I have no problem with it. Today, I ordered another 3 cans. I will be glad to update this in a week or so and let you know how it goes!
22 comments| 172 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 13, 2011
Almased is not awesome tasting, but after a couple of days, I started looking forward to it. I absolutely disagree with the other opinion that it does not blend with milk and. It blends perfectly in skim milk. I drink it twice a day, and I have lost 30 pounds using it as a weight loss AID. Obviously, I am also exercising and watching my diet.
33 comments| 152 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 9, 2013
I began using Almased on 10/1/2013. My sister called me and told me about the product. She vowed to me that it worked and GUESS WHAT it does. I went on the complete fast for 8 days. My regime included Almased with about 2 oz of unsweetened almond milk, 10 oz of water, tsp cinnamon or unsweetened chocolate, vanilla extract and almond extract. On Oct 4, 2013 I weighed myself 5LBS gone I was amazed. I had no cravings and after the first 2 days. I was just determined to stick with it. Today is day 9 and I weighed this morning and WOW total loss 10 lbs. I am more determined then ever now to stick it out. It is going to be a lifestyle change for me. I am not exercising yet but I intend to start walking this weekend. I have added a low calorie lunch today and sticking to a shake for breakfast and a shake for dinner. My lunch today was tuna fish salad with tomatoes, eggs and banana peppers on lettuce and the dressing (which I made)(I never make my own stuff) with olive oil, dry mustard, vinegar and oregano and a pack of trulia to sweeten it just a little. So all you skeptic's I am giving it to you straight. It taste just fine once you find your only little recipe for the shake and you lose, you feel great and you are not thinking "I will be glad when I can cheat" nope! On previous diet's that is all I could think about. OH! and for you mature women who do not think you can shed pounds I am 50 ++++. So give it a try it's great.
22 comments| 202 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse