Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Shop Popular Services whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 26 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 26 reviews
on June 24, 2012
This is a well made device at a very reasonable price. It fulfills its expectations easily and i'm completely happy with my purchase.

Setting up takes a few minutes, and there are a number of locking screws that must be manipulated in order to get the camera positioned. Twenty minutes familiarization and you feel as though you've owned for years. Using a small Sony PAS I made very good photos. They are not perfectly sharp, but this is due in part to vibration and lack of a cable release for this type of camera. Also, a very sturdy tripod is a good investment, if you are serious about digi-photography.

I have several good SLRs, but bought this device as I felt the weight of the big cameras would put undue strain on the eyepiece of the scope. Once I had the Alpen device and had a chance to play with it I realized that I could attach the SLR to the Alpen and use it as a support for the camera/scope arrangement. It works perfectly!! The assembly is very solid and easily carried and moved about. I'm also able to use a cable release now making the system complete. I need more experience in setting the exposure since using the scope as the lens I no longer have aperture control, or auto focus. These are things that can be over come with a bit of practice.

There is only one mechanical defect that makes me give this a four rather than five. The elevation control on the vertical arm does not work well. It is not smooth and has to be fiddled with when making changes.To some extent the problem can be over come by holding both knobs as you make the change, but that's a bother.

I'd recommend this to a friend. With a modestly priced scope this is a good way to start. You can't go wrong.
on December 26, 2011
I had to use a 1 3/4 inch block of wood secured with two small nuts and bolts to raise my straight (non angled)Leica scope high enough to meet the camera lens even when the camera is set at its lowest adjustment point. This device was apparently designed for angled scopes which I consider very odd. Also, the shoe plates have to be extremely tight -- to the point where you might damage the threads -- to prevent the scope from turning and thus misaligning when bumped or carried. Otherwise, it is very well constructed and works very well -- after it is re-engineered to work with a straight scope. The quality of the photos shot through the scope with my Canon Powershot S100 (an absolutely marvelous compact camera) is excellent. They are comparable to photos taken with a good DSLR with a 700+ mm lens. Bill Jones
on January 6, 2014
I really like the quality and value of my Alpen spotting scope but this camera mount is a real disappointment. The thing doesn't even open to a 90 degree angle where it is supposed to since the holes seem to be drilled or cast off-center. The design is anything but speedy and quick to change from spotting scope to camera mounted and it is quite cumbersome and unwieldy when assembled. Also, is it just plain cheaply built Chinese stuff. cheap screws, cheap metal, poor quality control, grindy adjustments that don't stay where you set them... I held off from one star because if you are stationary and do not move it you can eventually get this to line up and function as designed. It just takes so much effort that if what you are trying to take a picture of is any faster than a frozen tree sloth your subject is in a different county by the time you are shutter-ready. Mine now resides in the pile of stuff labeled " I wish I would have spend 10 times as much and gotten something that actually worked well or just did without".
on April 15, 2013
it is exactly as described but they forget to mention that it does not fit all spotters scope, the problem I am having is that my camera fits over the spotters scope lens. my spotters scope does not angle up and if u got a straight one like I do then this isn't the product for you. but if you do have one that does angle up then this one is great.. I just went and got another spotters scope that angled up in the back, and it works great, but I wished they would modify it so that u can adjust the scope up and down too instead of just the camera part. then it would fit the straight scopes and the angled ones too. well this is my review on this item. but I still think its a great product..!!!
on September 28, 2007
This adapter is what it looks like - no surprises. Feels pretty sturdy (and heavy) and universal. There are many degrees of freedom. One of them allows you to pull the camera away in one motion, allowing you to use the scope alone - a useful feature. Some tightening knobs are hard to find (especially the one that holds the vertical slider), so expect some effort at learning all the operating details before becoming frustrated - it can be confusing at first. Read the manual first - it contains some important advices. But be mindful of the screw which holds the pad on which the scope is mounted - it tends to slide off if not tighten properly. I tried this adapter with Meade Redtail 60x77 scope and Canon A510 camera and got some nice pictures, although I got similarly good pictures before by simply holding the camera with my hands at scope's eye piece. The adapter is useful mostly when you need long exposure photography, like at night. Note that digiscoping works best with small objective lens cameras. If you have a large and heavy SLR and you're having a hard time shooting anything through the scope, it's probably not the adapter's fault. Try a smaller camera.
on March 2, 2016
Robust and professional product. Design is a bit complicated with limitations in certain moves and positions. It takes some time to learn how to align your camera accurately. Overall it is an sturdy and well manufactured product that serves the purpose well.
on January 9, 2012
I would recommend testing your camera and scope combo before buying this or any rig. Tried with a cheaper spotting scope and the eye relief was too short to use with any camera I tried. Build quality was decent however some of the locking screws felt weak. The adjustablility was great however do to the long length of the linkage from the camera to the scope, vibration was an issue.
on January 20, 2012
Works great on a telescope with internal focusing too.
on April 18, 2013
This digital camera adapter works very well with my spotter scope. It can be adjusted in many different positions. It will fit several different types of cameras from point and shoot to DSLR. Note: When using this with a spotter scope you will need a heavy duty tripod to support both the scope, adapter, and camera.
on November 9, 2015
This works if the object is in still stage. It would be difficult to locate moving target! This is a must have if you want to save money from buying another camera!