Customer Reviews: Alphabet Mystery
Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 New Professional Skin Care Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Elvis Presley Shop Cycling on Amazon

Format: Hardcover|Change

on October 2, 2003
I bought this book for my four year old daaughter because we both loved Alphabet Adventure so much. The story centers on little x this time. He decidedes to run away because he is a letter that isn't used very much. All of the other letters embark on an adventure to bring him home. This book is especially perfect for this time of year. There is a spooky castle and a monster M that evokes images of Halloween. At the end of the story little x realizes that he is a very special letter after all. Children love the idea of a mystery and the illustrations in this book are really wonderful. Everytime you read it you will see something new. My daughter especially loves the page where the letters match up to an object that they begin with. My daughter has learned a lot from this book and Alphabet Adventure. I highly recommend them both.
on July 23, 2005
My first grade class absolutely love this book. The illustrations are amazing. I have to order a new copy for my classroom this year because the pages are falling out of my old copy from being read so much. I highly recommend this book.
on August 13, 2004
My 3 1/2 year old nephew loves this book. Little "x" is missing, and his alphabet friends fly off on a pencil to find him. X feels neglected in the real world, and he has found a home playing the xylophone for the "M" master. X's alphabet friends convince him to come home where he becomes the "X" kisses on mother's birthday cake. I'm pretty sure that most of this went right over my nephew's head, but he loves the bright colors, knew "X" was the missing letter, and enjoyed counting the kisses at the end. And and we both loved the illustrations!
on July 9, 2013
My 3 1/2 year old had no interest in traditional A, B, C books that went through the letters in order and just said words that started with each one. I really wanted her to start recognizing her letters so I began researching other options when I found this book (and the other 2 alphabet books by Audrey Wood). We were already fans of Wood from reading 'The Napping House' and 'Silly Sally' so I felt confident these wouldn't disappoint. Alphabet mystery is my daughter's favorite of the three alphabet books by Wood. She loves the story and recognizes all the main letters now, even outside of reading the story. Since buying this and the other alphabet books by Wood a month ago, my daughter has finally begun to recognize many letters both upper and lower case. I recommend these to all my friends with pre-school age kids.
on June 5, 2015
I bought this for my daughter who was learning upper and lower case letters in preschool. I found it to be a great teaching tool. She likes the story so would ask for it to be read again and again. Then we could discuss the lower case letters and their sounds as we read. I particularly like the part where the letters pick out a gift, and each gift starts with the letter who picked it. Clever story and fun way to teach lower case letters!
on April 27, 2014
This is a marvelous book for children learning their lower case letters. The concept of a mystery is clear and easy to then apply to any lost toys. The capital I and M can become bad guys just by reading their lines in a different voice. Adults will enjoy reading this book over and over again to the delight of their child. If Mom's birthday is coming, or has recently passed, the story will be very meaningful. The illustrations are beautiful and the text is clear and concise. A wonderful book for any young child.
on May 5, 2008
The books in this series by Audrey Wood are very good. This one is not my favorite, but it is still a cute story. In the story, little x leaves Charlie's alphabet and goes to "work" for M so he can feel more useful. I like Alphabet Adventure and Alphabet Rescue better.
on December 30, 2012
Following in the tradition of the previous Charley's Alphabet books, the illustrations in this book are vibrant and interesting, and the plot basic. In this book, little x runs off because he isn't used enough, and becomes a Xylophone player for a mean Capital M. The rest of the alphabet finds little x, rescues him, convinces Capital M that he should be nice, because don't we all love our Mothers, and they all fly back to help form a message on Charley's birthday cake for his Mother. Spoiler: little x gets used on a birthday cake to signify kisses. In short, there really wasn't enough plot to interest my almost 3 year old son past a few readings. And the "let's all love our Mothers" message was a bit sappy even for a preschooler.
on March 22, 2013
This book is great for my preschoolers & soon-to-be kindergardner. Bright, colorful, crisp images, this book is all about letters which makes it educational & fun. This is a great book to read with your kids, ask questions & really work with letters. The story line was pretty cheesy to me, but my kids love it. I would definitely recommend this. I also bought it used in very good condition with another Audrey Wood book, which is great since books are one of those things we like to have a ton of! Our only local book store is always full price. On amazon I can order a handful of good books for what I'd pay for one retail.
on February 24, 2006
The book arrived quickly in excellent condition. It is cleverly written with beautiful illustrations. My son adores it!