Oil month Automotive Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on July 20, 2013
This speaker set sounds so much better than the new "Powered" sets that are selling these days....I have a set that was bought new on my Apple "Mini" computer alot of years ago and it fills the room with great sound....bought these used on Amazon and are using them on a small retro record player/cassette/cd recorder by "Crosley" and they made my old records come alive again.....I can't understand why they change things for the worse.......greatful for the seller....
on May 1, 2002
I got these speakers to improve the sound on my Powerbook for use with iTunes. It has been a great bargain. Good stereo resolution, adjustable bass, uses the stereo jack so you're not tying up an extra USB, doesn't hum while off (big pet peeve of mine with some speakers). Sound can fill the room, works well with a variety of music. The price just can't be beat. I mean, this wouldn't be my living room speaker set, but it's not designed to be, and for one-room listening it's been great. Highly recommended.
on May 21, 2003
I don't really use them for anything besides than playing mp3's. In that area, they get the job done. I can't say that i'm a speaker expert, but i've had them for about two months and every time i turn them on it sounds fine. there's no hissing or buzzing, as i read in some other reviews, but when i bump the cord, they do make a noise, but that only happens when i'm messing around with all wires behind my desk, so it's no annoyance at all. If you're just looking for some speakers to play music, i highly recommend these...
on September 16, 2003
I am an audiophile with limited funds, so I have to figure out how to get good sound for a low price. When I finally realized good computer audio is within my price range, I decided to throw out my 2 HP/Polkaudio speakers, and find some good speakers, and especially a sub to make the most out of my games and music. Well, at the time, I only had twenty bucks to spend. So I went all over town looking for a decent 2.1 system in my price range. Well low and behold Sams is having a special on Altec Lansing's 2.1 system for half it's normal price. So knowing Altec Lansing's reputation, I grabbed them. Well trust me, they are great. With a decent sound card, they are crisp, clean, and have the sub has pleanty of bass for a 5.25 driver with only 10 watts. They go pretty loud before destortion kicks in, but at loud volumes and high bass audio, the sub quiets, and then reloudens when the bass tones down. That's probably the worse thing about this system. As far as tone controls, I think all sound card software, and windows has built in equalizer. My integrated 5.1 sound card on my new comp has software with a 10 band EQ, so who needs them on the speakers? Another bad thing about these speakers is that they dont have any rubber feet, so they slide around on your desk when you pull a wire or adjust the volume. All in all, a good buy for the price if you want a COMPUTER SYSTEM. If this is where you watch DVDs and play music from all the time, get something better. But for those of us on a budget, and have real external stereos, these are great.
Also, I plugged mine into the srge protector my comp is on, so when I turn it off, it turns off the speakers, and there is no hiss. I don't what the other people are doing wrong. Good Luck!
on January 9, 2006
First off, let me say that these speakers and subwoofer are used with my CD player as a sound system in the kitchen. I can't speak for their use with a computer as I've never tried them. I have used them constantly for several years now, and I love the sound quality. Sound is a personal preference for many, but for my ears the bass is rich and adjustable, the vocals crisp, and the overall sound quality excellent. I have no complaints other than the minor complaint that the speakers tend to slip around because the cords are underneath them, and they are lightweight and don't have rubber feet.

For the price (less than $26), I don't know how you can do much better.

I have now had the opportunity to compare them with the Altec Lansing InMotion ImPlus Speaker System designed for IPods at $149 retail (though I purchased it for $60), and I am so disappointed with the InMotion ImPlus.

If portability is not a major concern, consider the Altec Lansing AVS300 if you can find it. Love the separate subwoofer, love the power(with added volume from CD player) and love the sound!
on June 8, 2015
I got these speakers in 2001 and was surprised by the quality to start with... and here I am 14 years and 4 computers later with the same speakers that I started out with! The quality seems to have gotten better over time though I may be biased. After they finally retire I would even buy a second set to replace them but due to availability I may just have to move on. Until then I will knock on wood as these speakers keep blaring Ms. Jackson and Drops of Jupiter
on August 24, 2003
I had a chance to test this set along with Yamaha YST-M201 in store, imo, I prefer Yamaha (Y), because the overall audio Y is very good, deep with no boomy bass, and my happy past experience I had with Y 3-pieces set
on the other side, when I test this set, I don't believe this is Altec Lansing!!! what the hell happened???! mid and treble are okay, the problem is bass, it is hard to adjust and boomy, it's over emphasized around 150-200Hz, but very WEAK around 50-70Hz
one more thing I am surprised is my ex-roommate purchased the set, he may like this, but I am sure I don't like it at all, it's not natural as past AL
on July 10, 2012
I've upgrade tower, video cards, sound cards, mother board, GHz, harddrives, mouse, keyboards, coolers and even monitors but still using these Altec Lansing speakers 2.1

Many times i've wanted to buy new/cool looking speakers but these are just working as if its fresh so no reason to switch them off unless you're looking for something to appeal your eyes more.

I won't upgrade these speakers until they're completely broken which i doubt at least for another 5 years.
on June 21, 2015
I bought a pair back in 2001 after nearly spending all my money on a new PC (they were the cheapest ones around that didn't sound like tin cans). My pair has been half way around the world and back, they've fallen down a flight of stairs, and they've survived a couple of 3ft drops from my desk, but they're still going strong! Sure, they start to pop and crackle when you're playing audio at a really loud volume, but they're still just as clear as the day I bought them on lower-mid volume levels.
on February 13, 2002
I had been considering getting a small boom box for my office. I don't listen to CDs that often, so I didn't want to spend a lot. I couldn't find anything that I really liked, or that wouldn't take up a lot of desk space.
I started looking at getting a decent set of computer speakers. Browsing through [...many] selection, I found these speakers, which had gotten some very strong reviews. For $30, I figured it was a small risk.
I'm thoroughly satisfied with the purchase. I'm no hardcore audiophile, but I appreciate good sound. They provide a nice full range, even at low volume. Since I'm working in an office, I don't need to crank the volume for a party, but these still provide plenty of power if I want a louder sound after hours. For the average user who's not looking to spend much, you can't beat the AVS300.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.