- Series: For Dummies Series
- Paperback: 348 pages
- Publisher: For Dummies (January 1998)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0764551094
- ISBN-13: 978-0764551093
- Product Dimensions: 9.2 x 7.4 x 1 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1.7 pounds
- Average Customer Review: 3 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #2,148,389 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Alternative Medicine for Dummies (For Dummies Series) Paperback – January, 1998
The Amazon Book Review
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
It's a stretch to imagine a book entitled Alternative Medicine for Dummies--the subject is immeasurably vast (thousands of years of Eastern medicine, for example, is just one part of it) and new research is updating our knowledge daily. How can a clever For Dummies book skim the surface and yield anything worthwhile? The answer: by teaching readers to evaluate alternative treatments and practitioners, and take charge of educating themselves to make informed decisions. The book is organized into these sections:
- "What Everyone Needs to Know": Using alternatives safely, recognizing bogus claims, the importance of scientific evidence, and an overview of major alternative practices
- "Complementing Your Medicine": Getting good alternative care, working with your doctor, shopping in health-food stores
- "The Systematic Approach": Some philosophies of alternative healing: Chinese medicine, Ayurveda, naturopathy, and homeopathy
- "Hands-On Approaches": Chiropractic, osteopathy, acupuncture, and massage
- "Mind-Body Medicine": Relaxation techniques, including meditation, yoga, hypnosis, and biofeedback
- "Herbs and Other Natural Approaches": Using herbal remedies safely and effectively, benefits of specific herbs, herbs to avoid, aromatherapy, nutrition, and supplements
- "Specific Conditions": Ailments and their best-bet alternative approaches.
From Library Journal
This no-nonsense guide to unconventional medicine, by the head of Oxford Health Plan's Alternative Medicine Program and a medical writer, provides a little bit of everything on the subject. Although the prevailing spirit of the book conveys "fun and ease," there is an emphasis on safety, with the scientific literature referenced throughout the text. Loaded with tables, charts, helpful icons, and cartoons, this will appeal to many readers. (LJ 3/15/99)
Copyright 1999 Reed Business Information, Inc.