Your Garage Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,143 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,191 reviews
on April 21, 2013
Arrived on time, in a very nice carrying case which is small enough to fit in my camera bag, especially great for amateur photographers if you want to try neutral density these are great filters for beginners but i hardly noticed any difference between these and some of the top filters you can buy. I would definitely recommend these to my friends and first time photographers alike.
review image review image
11 comment| 199 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 15, 2016
I am an amateur photographer, but I do enjoy taking pictures of fireworks. That's one of my favorite things to shoot. I have found that being close to Walt Disney World allows me many opportunities to do so. Being new to photography, I wasn't quite sure what exactly an ND filter did...but after watching some friends take their own pictures and use the filters to help take a better photograph, I decided I should give it a try. I am SO excited for these filters and can't wait to get more levels of them.

These ND filters work as almost like a pair of sunglasses for my camera and allow me to take long exposure shots with a longer shutter speed so they come out even better than before. My original photographs would be quite overblown, but with the ND filters, I can be a better photographer.

Using the filters is quite easy. They are well packaged in a tri-fold wallet style holder. There was a micro fiber cleaning cloth that came with them, which I tuck in my camera bag. Each individual filter is wrapped in plastic and fits snugly in the holder. I personally return my filter to the plastic before placing it back in the case. This is to ensure that they don't get any dirt or dust trapped on them while inside my bag.

Attaching the filter is simple. Just carefully align it on the front of your camera lens and screw it on, making sure that it's fit snugly over the front of your lens. The cool thing is that you can put your lens cap right over it if you were moving from one area to another, so you don't have to unscrew the filter first. I have thoroughly enjoyed using these ND filters to take better photographs and look forward to many more amazing photos to come! I have added some of my favorite photos taken with these filters.

I paid full price for this item.
22 comments| 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 28, 2013
Excellent quality filters at a great price. The ND8 provides 3 f-stop reduction, ND4 provides 2 f-stop reduction, and the ND2 provides 1 f-stop reduction. You can stack these filters for a total of 6 f-stop reduction. I have done that to shoot video at f/1.8 with 1/60 shutter outdoors on a sunny day. These filters allowed me to get the shallow DoF I was going for.
33 comments| 115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 19, 2015
Worth for Money you pay... Loved using the ND filter, I dint want to buy costly ones, But this is amazing filter and des what its intend to...
Attched one of the picture I took with this filter.
review image
on November 8, 2015
Definitely allows a little longer shutter speed. I typically use it to capture moving water and make it look smooth and silky. It doesn't really help much on an extremely bright sunny day but it works for overcast days and for sunrise/sunset. The bridge picture was taken at sunrise and the filter allowed a 2 second shutter speed to smooth out the water. The other pics are of a lock in the Erie Canal, the moving water looks so smooth because the filter allowed me to set a shutter speed of 1.6 seconds. It was an overcast day but I took the photos around noon. I pretty much only tried the darkest filter. I've stacked once but you can't go too wide or you'll get some vignetting.
review image review image review image
on July 9, 2013
I am an aspiring cinematographer, but I am also not the richest or most famous yet. Currently I own some lighting equipment and the camera I use is a Canon T3i for shooting video. Not having the money or access to lighting equipment, natural light can definitely be your friend. However, there are times you want to have a properly lit shot but want to keep a really nice shallow depth of field. These babies can definitely help with that.

The package comes with the 3 filters each cutting down a stop more than the last, so depending on how bright it is and how shallow you want it you can stay at a lower F-stop and still manage to have a beautiful looking shot. These are really an essential tool for anyone using a dslr camera with this size lenses, and for the price at 15 dollars they are a steal. Some places sell theres for 4 times the amount for only one filter not three. Add in the nice little carrying pouch it comes with and you can have it ready in your camera bag at all times.

I uses them for video, but have also shot some pictures for them and it works great as well. Just in case you do not know all these filters do is bring down the brightness or intensity of light in your shot, so it should never affect the color or other element of the shot. Highly recommended for the amateur cinematographer or photographer, or anyone who just want a cheap solution to solving a light problem.
on August 4, 2016
I work as a 1st AC (assistant camera) and I work with motion picture cameras. My job, basically, is to take care of the camera department's equipment, and to pull focus on the camera. A big part of the job is working with filters too (expensive ones). On my own time, I have photography as a hobby, and as well as making short film projects with a DSLR. From my experience, ND filters are a MUST HAVE when filming outdoors to control your depth of filed (or amount of focus) since in motion picture, you have a constant shutter which is usually 1/48 or 1/50 of a second. Not to be too technical, but let's just say you need it to shoot exterior scenes. ND filters are also good for still photography when you want to have long exposures.

I was searching for ND filters here on Amazon and came across this cheap bunch of ND filters by Altura Photo. I was curious and read the reviews, and found that most people were satisfied. Well, I just received mine and tested it out, and I am also satisfied with it. It is relatively cheap, and the quality of the image is quite okay. It very much works as how a Neutral Density filter should. Overall, it is a good product, and I am happy with it. If you are looking for ND filters, I totally recommend this set of ND filters. By the way, since these attach to your lens, check the diameter of your lens before you buy one. Look for the "ø" symbol and that should tell the diameter of your lens.
on November 25, 2016
I'm very surprised at the positive reviews here based on my experience.

All three filters provided a really strong color cast. A cast like this can be somewhat improved in post processing but it's not always easy to get right. An ND filter should not have a color cast and not require this kind of tweak. I was really disappointed to find that all of my images with these filters had an orange hue.

In all cases, as well, the images were not as sharp as without the filters. This isn't even pixel peeping, just viewing the pictures on a 13" screen. Taking two pictures with the same setup (tripod), the difference is very very clear. The images come out almost foggy or hazy with the filters.

Finally, the bag they come in is the stupidest bag I've ever seen for filters. The padding material is a bunch of small threads which stick to the filters like dust so that every time you take one out you first need to clean it.

I understand these are entry level filters but these are barely useable.
on September 11, 2015
Pros: Amazon's return policy
Cons: They're plastic
They change the color cast of your image, worse if you stack them
They make it, literally, impossible to get a sharp image. Worse if you stack them.

I really and truly wanted these to be adequate. -- But they are absolutely unusable.
I have a Canon 5D3 and L glass, I was willing to let go of a little sharpness since the filters were so inexpensive. But with 1 filter on, my images were so blurry that I wouldn't dare post them on Facebook, much less print one.

My exact setup was Canon 5D3, 70-200 2.8L at 200 mm. I was on a tripod and used a remote shutter release and had mirror lock up enabled.

Please look at the images I've attached to see what I got. These are 1:1 crops.

Also, yes, they are made of plastic. Which the product description doesn't mention anywhere. I call that lying by omission. But I am also not surprised because of the cost. Still, after 15 test shots, they were packed up and returned to Amazon.
review image review image
88 comments| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 29, 2016
Allows for some amazing long-exposure shots. I took this a few minutes after getting the filters! Works great
review image