Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Book House Cleaning SneakyPete SneakyPete SneakyPete  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

Format: Blu-ray|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,148 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,592 reviews
on June 20, 2016
On September 3, 1973, Amelie was conceived. Her father, Raphael Poulain, was an ex-Army doctor. Her mother, Amandine, a school mistress from Grugeon. Amelie is home schooled. She doesn't learn the social skills that other children her age do, and she retreats, becomes an introvert. As she reaches her late teens, she goes to work as a waitress in Montmartre at the Two Windmills bar. Amelie doesn't have a boyfriend and it's not from a lack of desire. She has resigned to amusing herself with simple pleasures often in solitude. Until one day, she happens upon Nino Quincompoix in a busy substation. She experiences a rush of emotion, euphoria and heart palpitations spur her imagination. Sadly, she is too gripped by shyness and paralyzed by a fear of failure that she cannot muster the requisite temerity to approach him and break the ice with small talk. As he scurries about, not taking notice of her, he leaves behind his photo album. She retrieves it and runs after him to return it. She is unable to catch up to him, and she has this idea of a game to pique his interest in her. She leaves him a succession of messages and maps about where he can find his album (a scavenger hunt).
on March 23, 2017
There is no way you can not watch this movie and be smiling by the end. It's simply not possible.

Many have described the storyline, so I won't bother, but I will say that every American filmmaker should study this movie. It is perfect across the board...impeccable directing, great storyline, fantastic cinematography and design, a charming and beautiful soundtrack. But, what makes this movie really stand out is the performances. This should be shown to film students as a superb study in well developed characters, and the entire cast is outstanding, but particularly Audrey Tautou. This is the movie that made the world fall in love with her, and for good reason. I don't think a character, (or actress) could be more charming or endearing, and Tautou plays it to perfection.

This is a French film, with English subtitles, but for goodness sake, have an open mind, and just watch it. I promise it is worth it.
on January 21, 2015
This is my favorite movie. Words can't even describe. I found this movie when I was only a little kid, and I used to watch it alone in my room like it was a secret. It felt like it was made for me, and I didn't want to share it with anyone else because it was MY movie. I've talked to a lot of my friends who have seen it, and they used to think the exact same thing. Amelie, although quirky and a little awkward, is touchingly relatable- especially if you yourself are a little quirky and awkward. The storytelling and narration are dry, maybe a little sardonic, and the characters are incredibly vibrant and colorful. There are little touches of the fantastical and science fictional, but somehow that just brings you closer. It's a beautifully spun realistic narrative that seems like a fantasy, which kind of makes you feel like you're as vivid and interesting as the characters. It makes you feel special. It's beautiful. I would recommend you watch it, but I still feel a little possessive of my favorite movie.
on May 22, 2013
I am not a movie reviewer nor am I proficient in the art of reviewing anything like a movie so I will not attempt too other than to say that I am a 51-year-old male who normally does not watch "art-house" or independent type films for I am a typical guy that normally never watches anything where I have to read English subtitles with the exception of only a couple like letters from Iwo Jima being the exception and this one which I found extremely touching and funny and emotional and even a little tearjerking and coming from a guy like myself who is into your typical guy movies to where if something is not shot or blown up within the first 5 min. of the movie I lose interest, I found this to be enjoyable enough as to purchase this on Blu-ray and add it to my personal collection although I will have to hide this movie so that when my other male buddies come over to watch the game they do not see it otherwise they will never let me hear the end of it.
on July 9, 2015
Extremely wonderful or beautiful things often leave me struggling for words. That was how I felt about this movie. Leaving the theater, I was still completely lost in the world that Jean-Pierre Jeunet created. Why would I want to leave when everything was so perfect and silly and beautiful there? It's been a while since a movie has made me feel so good about the world and life in general. This movie did that because of its simple beauty and strangeness, and I left the theater with a sense of gratitude. I am not ashamed to admit that I love (need?) a happy ending every once in a while.
There were two narrative techniques which I found especially endearing. The first was the idea of setting up a scene or event by telling the audience about several completely unrelated and sometimes insignificant things that were happening simultaneously. The second was introducing the characters by listing a few of their idiosyncratic likes and dislikes. This was a wonderful and different way to develop the characters-it made me feel strongly for each of them immediately.
Amelie is an unabashedly strange girl with an un-self-conscious smile and an amazing imaginary life. The movie begins with her tragic childhood with self-absorbed, neurotic parents and no friends. Amelie is forced to rely on her imagination for entertainment, companionship, and other things that a young girl needs in growing up. However, she raises herself well and becomes a self-sufficient, quirky, good-hearted (if a little socially isolated) 23-year-old. This is where we meet her next, working as a waitress and following her odd little passions. A random discovery leads her to try to fix everyone's life around her, both through good deeds and petty vengeances. Even as she is absorbed in this mission, she is slowly moving toward fixing her own life. The series of events that fill the middle section of the movie are wild, funny, touching and revealing.
I found this movie entirely likable (though I admit to a penchant for quirkiness). I also found the whole movie visually appealing. Audrey Tautou is beautiful as Amelie, every scene is full of vivid color and detail, and all the characters have extremely interesting faces and personalities. I highly recommend "Amelie" to anyone looking for a light-hearted, feel-good, change-your-perspective kind of movie...
VINE VOICEon March 25, 2003
....P>I saw Amelie first in the theater, but my real appreciation is for the DVD. The transfer to DVD is almost legendary, it is done so well. It helps to start with the magical direction of Jean-Pierre Jeunet, who oversaw impeccable camerawork and a script loaded with charm into the film you will see on the DVD. It was obviously a labor of love, and Jeunet worked nearly as hard on the special features that accompany the film on the 2-disc set. The audition tapes, the story of the "home movies" within the film and the chats with Jeunet and the cast are all captivating.
Jeunet successfully uses voiceover as a tool in the film, allowing the viewer to quickly react to the situations encountered by both child and adult Amelie. He's artistically clever with his music, with flashbacks, and with dream sequence to give you a series of interconnecting events, all leading up to the theme of redemption and the enjoyment of life through the joy you give to others. In particular, the use of photos, the booby traps for a local grocer with a nasty temper, and the delightful traveling garden gnome are creative and funny.
There would be no story without Audrey Tatou, the whimsical actress who embodies Amelie. Audrey Hepburn at a young age, she is incredibly charming and quirky. It will be interesting to see if her career takes her beyond this, a signature role.
You'll love owning and watching Amelie, it is one of life's small treasures!
on March 24, 2017
This is a great movie. Nice to have on hand. Much prefer DVD to streaming.
on March 3, 2017
We had some fun watching this. I think it got tiresome as it went along...but it was fine.
on February 14, 2017
I'm very happy with my purchase. There were no marks or scratches on the disc or cover and the process was completely without a headache.

(This movie is French, so there are SUBTITLES) Amèlie (Audrey Tautou) is a unique woman who wants to set people on the path to happiness. Along the way, she find herself in the perfect place to meet the man of her dreams. Will she be able to stay on and not be distracted? This movie is so much fun and Tautou gives a brilliant performance. I'm obsessed with her ability and her gorgeous face.
on March 4, 2017
My favorite movie. Bought this because I have an old dvd version. Don't buy for this digital copy.. it expired in 2015 but it I was lucky the code still worked in March 2017
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse