Industrial Deals HPC Trade in your textbooks Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide $34.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  All-new Echo Save $10 on Fire 7. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

I love this cd. The covers are beautifully done and subtle- especially Sarah McLachlan's "Blackbird" and Ben Folds "Golden Slumbers". Even the unknown artists on the cd put in some great covers. I think the only song that disappointed me was Nick Cave's version of "Let it Be" (WHAT were they thinking?) I just don't get the whole Nick Cave thing in general, so maybe I am missing something...
However, nothing can be as good as the Beatles' versions of these songs. After listening to the cd for a few days, I pulled out my Beatles collection and had a great time listening to it all.
Like most soundtracks, it gets old after a while. However, it's upbeat, great for mixes, and a good listen. It's worth having, even if you won't have it in your cd player for days on end.
on September 22, 2017
Best Beatles "tribute" album I have ever heard, and the film isn't half bad either,, in fact--it will change your life.
on November 9, 2017
quick delivery, very satisfied : ) Geoffrey Durham, NC
on June 20, 2017
Meaningful to those of us who were there when originally released, obviously meaningful to these artists. It's not blasphemous to admire these interpretations....buy this and you'll have a hard time taking it out of your player.
on March 25, 2002
Soundtrack albums are effective when they link the music to the moments they appear in the original film so once you hear the album you connect to that exact moment at the film. Also, a good soundtrack adds extra emotion to scenes (like Tiny Dancer song in the Bus scene in Almost Famous) so their purpose become augmented in the viewers/listener mind.
With the I am Sam CD this basic Soundtrack principle is accomplished as the main character in the film (Sean Pean) relies in Beatles Songs in to put order in his life. In order to do so the Beatles covers are simple and effective providing the right support to the ilm plot.
Nevertheless, by using Beatles songs it is almost imposible not to compare the results with the original works by the fab four. In my point of view this is pointless as Beatles songs are probably the most covered songs in the planet so you either like the cover or choose among the many other available.
As for the songs in this CD there are a few the stand out because of the interpretation, emotion or overall stregnth in the performance. Across the Universe (Rufus Wainwright), I'm looking through you (Wallflowers), You've got to hide your love away, Golden Sulumbers (Ben Folds), Lucy in thye Sky with Diamond (Black Crowes), Don't let me Down (Stereophonics), Help (Howie), etc.
The rest of the songs are also good it is just a matter of taste whether you like them or not. This soundtrack is very much linked to the film, but after all, that is what soundtracks are made for, or not?
Enjoy!!
Has it REALLY been 11 years since this movie was released in 2001???? Oh my, where has the time gone? I finally wore out my original CD of this album and since I no longer buy CD's but MP3's instead, I came here to find it and download it to my Zune. I love the fresh take on the infamous songs and have discovered new artists (well, new back then) that I've downloaded and also enjoyed. I've never been a hardcore Beatles fan but I am a hardcore fan of this movie, so the soundtrack reminds me of a film that can still make me weep after 20 or more viewings. Perfect music to listen to when I want to feel good about life and view it through John's Rose-Coloured Hippie Glasses. Peace. :)
on May 31, 2002
i really like this cd, but that's not why i'm writing this review. i just had to respond to the other reviewers who tell you not to purchase this album b/c the covers don't sound like the originals. that is just about the stupidist reason to avoid a tribute album that i've ever heard! if you want to listen to the originals then listen to the originals. these songs aren't performed by beatles cover bands (thank god!). they are performed by mostly talented artists who were influenced (who isn't) by the beatles, and recorded versions of their favorite songs with a twist of their own personal styles. if i had anything to complain about on this album it's that almost none of the artists did anything different with the songs. only the brilliant version of revolution by grandaddy really "revolutionized" any of the material. i don't say this to be disrespectful of the beatles. i'm crazy about the beatles, but if you're going to bother recording a cover of a song, do something different with it. you're never going to sound exactly like the beatles, so why bother trying; do your own thing.
on October 8, 2009
It can be difficult to do a cover of a song, especially when the originals are done so well and become so ingrained, such as trying to cover songs by the Beatles. I picked up this CD due to hearing Eddie Vedder's track, You've Got To Hide Your Love Away, which turns out to be one of the best tracks, and probably in fact the best, on the CD.

He is able to bring a good version of the song to life. Other tracks are pretty good, Golden Slumbers, Across the Universe for instance, which do not add to the originals or truly give them a fresh outlook while others fall short to me in the interpretation and performance.

So the record is a bit uneven, yet overall is worth it for some of the songs that are well done, and some of the tracks I did not like originally have grown on me on additional listen. Perhpas my initial reaction was a bit off on some of these.
on October 23, 2008
I love this CD. All of the tunes are very well done renditions, very well done. I especially love "Blackbird" by Sarah MacLaughin - the reason I bought the CD. The remainder of the songs are thoroughly enjoyable and I certainly recommend this for anyone who wants some Beatles songs redone with a new twist.
on May 15, 2014
I have had this cd since I saw the movie when it first came out. CD got scratched, but loved the music so much, I had to buy another. Esp. the first four tracks... the best being the Wallflowers version of "I'm Looking Through You". I really never noticed the lyrics when the Beatles did this song but great line...love has a nasty habit of disappearing overnight.