Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: AmLactin XL Lotion, 5.6 Ounces
Your Garage Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Water Sports STEM

on January 31, 2010
First, this is a thick, moisturizing cream and I'm sure it will helps a lot of people who have not tried the Amlactin line, or who first tried the Amlactin Lotion.

I became a believer in the Amlactin product line when I tried the Amlactin 12% Body Cream in the 4.9oz tube to treat my 20-year old case of kp (keratosis pilaris - rough, raised bumps on outer arms and thighs). After only 3 days of twice-daily application, my kp was 90% improved. After 2 weeks, it was completely *gone*. In addition, my seriously cracked heels and fingers were completely healed, too.

I thought that if the regular Amlactin was this good, the XL had to be even better, right? It wasn't for me, at least. I had gotten to a once-a-day maintenance routine with the regular cream but when I switched to the XL, I had to go back to twice-a-day application and my heels started showing signs of cracking again. Now I'm finishing off the XL tube as a hand cream only and I switched back to the regular Amlactin cream for my arms and feet. Again, I was able to go back to a once-a-day regimen.

I couldn't find the percentage of ammonium lactate (the main ingredient) on the XL tube, but the regular cream tube is clearly marked with the 12% potency. It makes me wonder if the ammonium lactate percentage is smaller on the XL because it is combined with other active ingredients - and perhaps my skin doesn't need those other ingredients as much as it needs the ammonum lactate.

I agree that the XL might work better than the Amlactin *lotion* (in the bottle) since the lotion seems to evaporate more quickly due to its thinner consistency. I do use the regular lotion on my face and any large, less-dry areas that I want to moisturize and it works great that way. It's not too oily for my combination facial skin and more economical to use on large areas since it spreads more easily and comes in a larger bottle.

For me, the Amlactin Moistuizing Body Cream in the 4.9oz tube is the most effective on my kp and cracked heels/fingertips and the Amlactin XL was just not as good. Oh, and these lotions do smell of ammonia, which is why some reviews say they smell like urine. I find that the smell is not as strong and fades quickly if my skin is dry, rather than wet, when I apply it. If you put on lotion after bathing/showering, you might want to towel off well and wait a few minutes before applying it to minimize the ammonia smell. I hope this helps anyone who is having a problem with the scent.

I've tried Retin-A, Lac-Hydrin 5, and a slew of other useless products over the years without near the results I get from the Amlactin line, and at a much smaller price tag. Thank you Amlactin!! Now can you get the retailers to move it out from behind the pharmacy counter, please?
11 comment| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 4, 2007
This is miracle cream. It has healed the cracked hands and feet of three family members. I have searched for anything to help my severely cracked heels and extremely dry hands since I was a child. This did wonders within two days of using it. My husband had the same results on his knuckles. They had cracked open from dry weather. There was a huge improvement after only three aplications.

Do not be scared off by the price. If you have seriously dry skin, it is worth every penny. Only a small amount of cream is needed for each application. This tube is going to last a long time.

The other AmLactin products are very good too. But, I have never had results like this from any product before.
on February 3, 2010
The dermatologist's assistant recommended this to me for not-serious-but-annoying skin outbreaks. It delivers a serious dose of lactic acid, buffered with ammonia. You smell like ammonia for ten minutes after applying, but it fades.I used it religiously twice a day, after showering and before bed, and within a week my skin was dramatically smoother, and the angry red dots were fading. This is easily the most effective skin smoother you can buy in a drugstore. It's not pretty, it doesn't smell good, but it works. Seriously, I wouldn't be reviewing a moisturizer online unless it were amazing.
on June 8, 2011
I received and began using AmLactin XL in the middle of May. I am 23 and have had enough of being embarrassed of my upper arms. After much research, I decided to break the bank and purchase this expensive lotion. It is now middle of June and I have seen little to no improvement to my KP... I'm hesitant to say this, but I feel like it has gotten worse. The lotion is very thick and is a great moisturizer, however it is sticky which makes me feel "clammy". I have tried using it on patches of eczema and it does give relief to the very dry skin. I am also not fond of the smell; it isn't strong, but it is noticeable, which makes me wonder if others can smell it. I've given this product 2 stars because it is a great moisturizer, but did not work for the reason for purchase, which was my KP.
on March 13, 2007
I have had small, mostly invisible bumps on the backs of my arms forever. With regular use of this lotion they go away. If I stop using it they come back. I like the XL better than the other AmLactins because it's thicker.
on June 18, 2010
I was recommended to use Amlactin XL by my dermatologist as treatment for the KP on my thighs. It never really bothered me before but when I moved to a new location, my KP got worse. Very red bumps = not attractive! I finally broke down and decided to get some. I read plenty of reviews of the different Amlactin products, but since I wanted results I decided to just get the XL that the dermatologist recommended. Oh man am I glad I did!

I have never had such smooth legs in my life. Even though my legs didn't always have red bumps, they did have a bumpy texture from the KP, and I didn't even know how smooth my legs could be. I use it at night after showering, applied to completely dry legs. There is a slight odor right when you apply, but I've found it's completely gone by morning. My husband keeps complimenting how great my legs look and feel!

I'm hooked now -- I'll be a user for life!
on October 17, 2009
Being a lifetime suffer of keratosis pilarsis, this stuff is a godsend.
Had I had Amlactin XL in high school, it would have been different.
I have keratosis pilarsis (KP)on the upper portion of my arms, I always
hated getting dressed for gym or having to wear short sleeves. I've been
to a ton of skin doctors looking for the quick fix. Only to be told, its
not that bad, there's nothing we can do and you need to keep it moisterized
which is the complete opposite of what you learn about "acne". That's what
I always thought my problem was...acne. I use to sunbath in the summer because
it seems to cure me for a short period of time.

Now at the age of 42 and facing wearing a strapless dress as the maid of honor
in a wedding, I turned to the internet for help. The first site I was directed to
was Amlactin. It suggested starting with the XL first.

I quickly ran out to my local pharamacy to grab and tube filled of this wonder lotion.
It took a good 2 weeks to see a dramatic change. I use it twice a day and exfoliate in
the shower. I always use a soap that is also a moisterizer on my arms as well.

Of course, I cannot stop using the lotion or the condition will come back. I've also
tried to use the regular Amlactin lotion but it wasn't as effective as the XL version.

I'm sorry it has taken me this long to find a solution.
on June 26, 2009
I bought this product after reading customer reviews, as they indicated this product is good for treating KP. I have been using it twice a day on my arms and calves and I have noticed a significant difference! Although it's expensive, a little goes a long way so I think the tube will last me quite a while. Also, I ocassionally get dry skin around my nose & this has worked well for that also.

Glad I bought it.
on November 17, 2007
I HAD LASAR HAIR REMOVAL DONE....MY SKIN WAS SO DRIED AND CRACKED.
I TRIED CREAMS THAT COST UP TO $150.OO. NOTHING WORKED. MY DR RECOMMENDED THE XL, BUT TOLD ME IT IS KEPT BEHIND PHARMACY COUNTER.I CANNOT SAY ENOUGH ABOUT THE XL. WHY IT IS NOT ON DISPLAY IN STORES IS BEYOND ME, ALL I KNOW IT IS "THE BEST SKIN CARE PRODUCT" AT ANY PRICE
on September 29, 2010
Several years ago my dermatologist recommended this product for problems I was having with my skin. I could only find it in one of our local stores & it was $35.00! I bought it & liked it, even though it was expensive! I found it on Amazon.com & through the Subscribe & Save program, I now am signed up to receive it once a month & my total cost is only $18.35!! That's quite a savings! After using it for a couple of years, I discontinued using it for a couple of months to see if I noticed any difference in my skin! WOW...my skin was awful & I went back to using it! I use it over my entire body & the 5.6 oz. will last me the entire month. It's very thick & a little bit goes a long way! My only complaint is that it's so thick, it's hard to get it out of the tube when it's close to being used up. When this happens, I just cut the end off & use my fingers to scoop up the amount I need! It's a wonderful product & I highly recommend it!

See 1 answered question