Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning animestrike animestrike animestrike  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 230 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 286 reviews
on July 28, 2016
If you doubt the reasons behind teaching medically accurate sex ed in classrooms, take a minute to read the one star reviews on this very basic children's book.

The amount of body shaming they wish to impart upon children is horrifying. They're apoplectic that a children's book would suggest that "It's perfectly natural to be curious about your private parts and to want to touch them. But this is something you should do only in a private place, like your room."

The horror that a book would use medically accurate terms and show cartoon drawing of genitals was so offensive to one woman she said she burned it and "that no child or even adult needs this much info unless they're a doctor!"

I included photos of the most technical this book gets, which is still extremely basic and stuff EVERYONE should know. How this can be offensive is completely beyond me.

Parents- there are too many unwanted pregnancies, STDs, and sexual abuse victims out there to allow your child to grow up in ignorance and shame when it comes to sex. Start early, start often. This book is an excellent place to start, even though it leaves out intercourse completely.
review image review image
0Comment| 127 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 12, 2015
We bought this to help explain anatomy and baby-making basics to our 3-year-old, who has recently become extremely inquisitive on the topic. It is a very detailed introduction to male and female anatomy; although it is aimed at small children, it is entirely unapologetic in its honest graphic depictions of its topic. I think it is a tasteful introduction to body differences and to the basics of reproductive development and where babies come from. However, the book is not for everyone, and whether you find it helpful will depend on your particular values, your comfort levels with certain images, and whether you think your child is ready to discuss certain ideas.

Spoiler alert. ;) Some details that might help you decide whether this book is for you:
- The book is not narrative-based, but rather a step-by-step discussion of various aspects of anatomy, development, and how babies come to be.
- The cover children are white Europeans and many of the inside illustrations follow suit. That said, the authors did include other races in the book. THAT said, the example family in the make-a-baby scenario is white.
- The unstated assumption throughout the book is that people who are making a baby are a race-matched man and woman who love each other. If your family is mixed race, if you are a single parent, if you are two Moms who had a baby, if you adopted a baby made by someone else, etc... your family is not overtly depicted. That's not to say this book is useless to you, but of course more discussion is needed beyond the scenarios depicted here, and other books might do a better job in terms of having your kid identify with the illustrations. (In my opinion, even the book's perfect target audience would do well to discuss the fact that your family is not the only kind of loving family set-up out there. But at least the illustrations are less potentially confusing in your case.)
- There is a page that depicts a baby boy next to a preschool boy next to an adult man, in full frontal nudity, to contrast developmental stages and illustrate how the body changes; the page next to it does the same for girls. We are not embarrassed by nudity in our family, and teach context (when is it appropriate to be naked versus not), but some families might be uncomfortable with these pages.
- There are pages for both boys and girls that show what the "inside" anatomy looks like. The book uses accurate medical terminology to describe many anatomy details ("labia", "scrotum", "urethra", etc.). Some of this is more detail than our kid needs right now, but will be extra information for a later time. We initially just gloss over some things to avoid getting muddled in details.
- The book talks about how a sperm and egg join to make a baby. One silly detail: the cartoon sperm and egg are smiling and saying "hi" at each other. In an otherwise fairly realistic book, this is a bit fanciful. (Our kid likes to point out that this isn't "really" what they look like and that eggs and sperm don't have faces; it's a source of humor.)
- There is NO depiction of sexual intercourse in either words or images. "Amazing You" skips from talking about a man and woman loving each other and deciding to make a baby right to picturing the meeting of the egg and sperm, leaving the adults to decide whether to fill in the in-between detail.
- There is a page that shows a baby in-utero and a description of what the umbilical cord does.
- There is discussion of what happens during labor (that the uterus pushes the baby out and the vagina stretches to allow the baby to fit). None of this is shown in pictures (the pictures are of an excited-looking couple contemplating the pregnant belly and then a hospital room image of a doctor handing Mom the baby with umbilical cord still attached while another person-with-surgical-mask and Dad look on, and no Mom-private-parts are shown).
- There is a page that talks about self-exploration, discussing how curiosity is natural and that touching private parts is a private act. (The accompanying picture is of a closed door with a "private" sign on it, and the family dog running in the hallway outside.) Some readers may find this discussion offensive and possibly above the level of the intended audience. From a developmental perspective, it is normal for very young children (yes, including those who have not been confronted with the horror of abuse) to touch their private parts and find them interesting; it would be strange if they found their toes fascinating, but completely ignored another, equally interesting, part of themselves. This page offers an opportunity to address healthy boundaries for such behavior without shaming the child for normal curiosity. It can also be skipped if it doesn't yet seem relevant to the child. Or it might be a deal-breaker for you on this book if this topic is just not something you're comfortable discussing (yet, or ever) with your child.

Overall, I think this is a great book. Our kid loves reading it and discussing how things work, and is proud to know more about the topic. The images are graphic but innocent in nature, and helpful for a real conversation about private parts. If you're like us and want to be open about this topic, I'd recommend trying this book. If you want to take this conversation a little slower, or the details described above are not in line with what you're looking for: save your money for another book.
11 comment| 110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 15, 2016
Bought this book to help my curious 4 year old boy understand the difference between a boy and a girl. And more specifically answer his questions about why girls like his little sister sit down to go potty and he stands up. He was asking so many questions and this book explained things perfectly geared towards children. With illustrations that children could relate to and follow. His curiosity has been satisfied with reading this book.
review image
on June 23, 2015
First, the hated page about masterbaition says "it's perfectly natural to be curious about your private parts and to touch them. But this is something you should do only in a private place, like your room." Really not bad at all. I know 4 year olds who need this lesson. Not because they're self pleasing but because they're curious about this hidden parts.

Now to the review.

The wording of this book is better suited for a 4th grader and up. It's not written cute like a toddler book.

It is a very informative, truthful, and detailed book on anatomy as well as reproduction. I wish it also included the normal function of breasts, for feeding babies.

I bought this book for my 3 year old last year. He obviously cannot read. But the pictures have proved helpful.

During my pregnacy he brought this book to me and was excited to show me he found a picture of baby in mommy's tummy.

As he ages I feel he will be desensitized to anatomy because of this book always being around vs being the forbidden topic.

Not sure why people are complaining about a book about private parts talking aboutand depicting private parts.
on December 5, 2016
Both my husband and I grew up in conservative religious households with parents who did their utmost to avoid the topic of bodies/reproduction at all costs. We want to be different, but were unsure of where to start and end the conversation with our 4 year old who had started asking a lot of questions about private body parts. I purchased this book on a recommendation from a great mom I know, and it did not disappoint. I read it to his matter-of-factly as I read all his science and nature books, and he was both engaged and satisfied with the level of information. Absolutely age-appropriate and a useful guide for parents who may not have role models for handling this subject with ease. Great book for little people to educate and empower!
on March 9, 2014
This is a great basic book for learning about the body and the differences between boys and girls. My 5 year old son loves this book and asks for it often. We have never been ones for using cute names for body parts, my son has always been taught the proper terms for his parts, and this book is great if that is your approach also. It's a great resource for baby making basics and learning the difference between boy parts and girl parts. Let me also say that if you are in any way squeamish about speaking frankly to your child about their body this is not the book for you.

I have to say, I'm a little confused by many of the one star reviews. This book doesn't purport to be about good touch/bad touch, it is preschool-level reproductive anatomy and I don't understand down rating it for not teaching something it doesn't claim to teach. If you are looking for a good touch/bad touch book, I don't recommend this book, try "I Said No! A kid-to-kid guide to keeping your private parts private".

(BTW, this book does briefly mention kids playing with themselves, it basically instructs them to do it in private. If this bothers you I recommend either skipping those pages or skipping this book.)
on March 6, 2013
My daughter (5yo) recently began asking about the difference between boys & girls - specifically their "private parts," so I ordered this book to help us discuss the subject. In my opinion, this is a fantastic book for preschool aged children. It has simple nude illustrations of babies, children and adults that are very tastefully done. It also discusses how some people have different names for the parts, but that it is good to learn the real names, as well. The book touches very briefly on how a baby is made when a sperm and an egg meet, but there is no reference to "how" they meet, which is fine by me! I don't think my 5yo has the need for "sex ed" at that level. My only negative comments are that the book states that babies come out of the mummy's vagina and doesn't reference c-section (how my delivery went), and also that the book only mentions the heterosexual relationship as parents, when families can look a lot different than just that one view. Of course, she only knows our family model, which is heterosexual, but it would have been nice to see it with a little more variety. I'd highly recommend it to my friends and family with young children of either gender, though. It is a sweet book.
on March 21, 2017
This book explained a lot for my 6 year old daughter and I made a combined purchase of this book and "I'm a Girl (For ages 5-7)" by Shelly Metten. I read "I'm a Girl" first to explain girl parts and where babies come from and then "Amazing You". My kid's questions were all answered and it satisfied her curiosity, but did not go overboard. Some parents suggested this book was too vulgar, but every kid is different in their quest for knowledge and every parent is different in how comfortable they are with the subject. I thought this book and the other were great educational books for children like my daughter.
on March 13, 2017
Has great information! My daughter is a very curious 2.5year old and I really wanted something to give her the correct information about her body and her brothers body. I appreciate showing bare bodies of both male and female in diffent stages of life (she is curious about Mom/dad's body too), because the illustrations are in a cartoon form I feel they are appropriate for a 2-5 age range. Content is appropriate up to age 6 unless you have an extra curious child asking more in depth questions, I would suggest a different resource.

Does not cover differences in male genitalia circumcised vs not (cartoon is circumcised). Does not offer info on different styles of births(i.e. C-section), has no information about breasts or breastfeeding.... probably because of the age of targeted reader.

Great first stepping stone in an ever continuing conversation about sex/sexuality.
on March 21, 2017
This book is great for elementary school kids. I see many reviews from people upset over the cartoon drawings of growth development from infancy to adulthood. If you are too afraid to show that part to your kids, you are not at all ready to discuss sex. The human body grows, that's just a fact. Nothing to be ashamed of.

I like how the book very delicately talks about "how" a baby is concevied without getting totally graphic about sex. My kids are happy with the explanation for now and very much love the book. They had a lot of questions and it opened up a healthy conversation about development.