Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition $79.99. Limited-time offer. All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now HTL17_gno

Despite its tad high of a price, i decided to grab one along with the firetv. and now im pretty sure i'll pick up another so my wife and i can have at it to settle arguments.

I was always partial to the xbox styled controllers, never liked the playstation design. So this was perfectly natural to use.

Pros
-Feels quality
-takes AA batteries(i have tons of rechargables, some people may not like this)
-Sleeps to conserve energy, wakes up with a press.
-no wires(kinda implied for any game system in 2013+
-Pairs damn quick and easily

Cons
-it should be $5 cheaper. I know, 5 bucks isn't big, but i think many of those who see it as overpriced would have not thought so with a number like $35 instead of 40
-Has dead zone, see below

overall, if you're of those who hope amazon does make this into a half decent gaming machine, it's a no brainer. I don't think anyone should have the expectation that this will replace an xbox or PS, but it looks to be just what i want, a media box which also does a pretty good job at gaming

Vs Xbox/playstation
Something to think about: This system with 1 remote costs $140. A new xbox 360 4gb E costs only $40 more and is a more serious gaming machine that also has streaming abilities... But then again you'll need the $60ish xbox live service to get full functionality... but then again amazon prime is $99 to add some functionality to the firetv. I wonder now if that prime membership includes the use of online multiplayer games or if that's free...

++UPDATE:
OK, here's hoping amazon improves this, but the controller has a significant analog stick dead zone. What that means is that moving the analog stick a little bit doesn't do anything, you have to move it a lot. this means accurate and minute adjustments to aiming/movement are a lot trickier. taking off a star for this.

++UPDATE 2:
So, it seems you can use the xbox controller with the pc usb adapter, i just ordered one and am going to try it out. I am having a decent enough time with the amazon controller, but no matter what sensitivity settings i try, i can't get a pleasant aiming/movement experience out of it. If the Xbox controller works as faultlessly as others are reporting, i'm going to send back the amazon one and keep the xbox controller. it was only $45 for the controller plus usb adapter, and xbox controllers can be had for $35 each, so the price is pretty much the same but with the xbox controller you're getting something that's been refined.

++UPDATE 3:
The standard xbox wireless controller with PC usb adapter works perfectly. You can buy it as a kit for only a few dollars more than the amazon controller and still add up to 4 xbox controllers which each cost less than the amaazon one. It still doesn't feel quite as accurate as i'm used to, but that must either come down to how the games are made/processed, or i'm just that rusty. Either way, the amazon controller while very OK, i'd say grab the Xbox controllers
3131 comments| 575 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon June 7, 2014
Format: Electronics|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
A lot has been written about the Fire TV, with most of it emphasizing the media aspects. I gave it a 5 star review the first week I had it, and would still give it the same.

I also bought a controller at the same time, thinking it would be great to play games that were engaging but not expensive, fun but not so immersive they take over your life.

Amazon provided a controller for review purposes as well, meaning I now have 2. What I like about it is it really does provided added enjoyment to the Fire TV. If you are at all interested in the gaming side of it, then getting a controller is a very worthwhile step. That being said, there's nothing about this particular controller that stands out and indeed the price is a bit high for the features.

If you have any experience with game consoles over the last decade, or more, this controller will feel very familiar. It's a bit larger and more angular than the XBox 360 controller, but the button setup is almost exactly the same. I find that after playing a while my hand starts falling asleep, no doubt because it is less rounded and so puts more pressure on the hand.

Bluetooth controlled, and very responsive, so it definitely works well. But no added features or capabilities. No rumbling or headphone/microphone inputs (which would be good for potential headsets for multiplayer games). I don't care much about those but I would have really liked motion detection of some kind, which is standard in tablets and smartphones, and as such used by some android games. That would have justified the higher price.

As far as games, the library of really good games is small. Sev Zero is indeed pretty fun, and when I bought the controller I got that and 1000 amazon credits as a "free" bonus. The hope, and expectation, is that the game library will grow not only in size (there really are a lot of games) and in depth, with high quality games making the controller even more necessary.
review image
on August 23, 2015
been using this controller for a few months and its right side joystick sticks causing a constant downward movement almost all the time unless you put slight pressure on it. makes it very hard to scroll through the menus or play games on amazon fire tv. this is the second controller ive bought through amazon (dog ate first one). but first one did it as well. There is no option to calibrate the joystick at all either. After reviewing others comments on this it seems like it was a common issue with the controllers that were sent out around that time. I buy alot of stuff on amazon and alot of amazon brand things and usually pretty good. I reduce my rating to one star after amazon sent me a message to try and troubleshoot my controller... while not just offering to a replacment (considering many controllers of that time frame were sent out and experience the same problem).
When I saw the controller I wondered how comfortable it would be to have the thumbsticks offset where one is higher and more outer and one is lower and more inner. Same with the AXYB buttons compared to the + section.
Once I got it my concerns were confirmed. It just feels like I'm holding the controller wrong or off center.
Also, the ends of the controller are squared off weird and not comfortable.
I'm an adult female, 5' 4 1/4" with um, I guess averaged size hands.
For $99 (Kindle Fire TV) + $40 (minus $17 in free games) for the controller, I guess overall it's not a bad value for an electronic frivolous/luxury (non-necessity) gadget, but I wouldn't diss or recommend the game controller. I think they could have done better, and it's definitely not ergonomic, and once the promotion goes away, I really don't think it's worth $40 by itself.
on August 2, 2015
The grandkids think that this is a great game controller. Being a grandmother and never having used a game controller before, I think it should have come with something telling me what all the buttons are for. The grandkids think it should be self explanatory, and I should be able to use it right out of the box. A senior citizens mind works a little differently than a pre-teens mind.
Nice controller, this will work just like the controller that comes with the Fire TV, the only thing that it is missing is the voice to search function that the remote has. the only way to improve upon this controller is to add in the option for a rechargeable battery. The texture on this controller is a bit slick, and can cause a problem after long intense gaming sessions.

The game Sev Zero that comes as a gift with the controller is a fun game and my son is having allot of fun playing the game. I can't wait to try the multi player option with the Fire Tablet, but it is on back order, so I have to wait. I hope my son doesn't finish the game before it gets here.
on January 28, 2017
The first Amazon Fire Game Controller, released in 2014, is a Bluetooth controller for the Amazon Fire ecosystem. It is an adequate controller much of the time, with an Xbox style layout, but the analog sticks and the D Pad leave something to be desired. The upside is that it works with nearly the entire Fire ecosystem, only missing early Kindle Fires (2011 and 2012) that didn't support Bluetooth.

The controller uses 2 AA batteries instead of having an internal battery. The upside is that you can easily swap out batteries when they are low (we all have a million rechargeable AA's, right?) and the controller doesn't have to go to a special place to charge. The downside is that usually controllers with an internal battery have a Lithium Ion battery, are more compact, and have longer times between charges.

It has been replaced by the 2016 Amazon Fire TV Game Controller with Alexa (2nd Gen), which uses WiFi Direct instead of Bluetooth, meaning it's really just a Fire TV controller.
on February 9, 2016
Mine worked fine for three months and after I replaced the batteries it stopped working and I can't get a new one because they aren't available, unless I buy the Amazon TV and Game controller together, that's lame. When it did work it was fine. It just stopped working and even still it does not work all most a year later. A waste of money.
on December 19, 2015
I originally bought this in 2014. Kids wondered why we hadn't used it the other day, so I fired it up with fresh batteries. Now I remember why we stopped using it. One or more of the buttons is broken, and the remote sends bad info to the user interface on the screen, and allows us to do nothing. Cursor jumps around uncontrollably, nothing can be accessed or controlled.
Researched online, saw that the latest update version for the controller was 66, settings shows we have. Thought update would help. Nope. Controller is seen by system, with the old system version, but system did not update automatically, as the troubleshooting instructions said.
Love my Fire TV, very disappointed with controller, which went belly up after very light usage.
on September 13, 2015
The Amazon Fire Game Controller is the best game controller I have ever had, It is heavy and I know it is well made. I love the layout of the buttons, Makes playing games on the fire TV so much fun. The one I bought was certified refurbished, It looks brand new. It was easy to pair to the fire TV box, Just a all around good controller. It came with 2 AA batteries, You can also use it to navigate the menu and select what to watch on Amazon Prime and Netflix. You cant go wrong with this game controller, I am glad I bought it.