Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: PS3 250GB Amazon Exclusive Family Entertainment Bundle
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Gemini Syndrome Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

VINE VOICEon December 18, 2012
I will not get into the details of how great the PS3 is. It is a good product.

My original PS3 60 GB just died after 6 years of light use and I had to replace it with this bundle.

Overall it is a great bundle but the Amazon picture shows the PS3 installed vertically on a stand. I honestly believed that I will get everything that is shown in the picture. Unfortunatelly, the vertical stand is not included and the cheapest I could find one was $20.

Also, as another reviewer noted, the games are in sleeves, not in cases.

I recommend the bundle but know what you are getting.
99 comments| 105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 25, 2013
Hello Amazon review board. I have been a player and buyer of games for many years and I have never done a single review but I see the need to help everyone who got this ps3 bundle. I purchased this one only a month ago when it was for 280. I had the same long ringing problem that a lot of other people are getting on this system and this is how I simply fixed it. THERE WAS A PIECE OF CLEAR TAPE OF THE TRAY THAT SLIDES OPEN AND WHEN I FIRST PLAYED A DISC IT MADE A HUGE LOUD SOUND AND SCREECH, BUT AFTER YOU COMPLETELY REMOVE THE LITTLE PIECE OF CLEAR TAPE ON THE SLIDER TRAY IT SHOULD SOUND PERFECT AND PLAY SMOOTH. After I removed it the disc and system played quiet and smooth and I was so relieved. I hope it helps people out who are having the same problem. I would hate for people to have to fight through that. Hopefully this helps. First and last review for anything. Thanks
22 comments| 115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 5, 2013
I've been gaming since the original NES, and I've owned a PSX and PS2, but I held off on buying a PS3 due to the originally high price. I adopted the Xbox 360 and played that as my main console for years. After Gran Turismo 5 came out, I started looking at the PS3 more seriously but never ended up pulling the trigger. I recently bought a HDTV, and wanted a BluRay player and thought this would be the perfect opportunity to finally get a PS3.

This bundle comes with a comically large BluRay remote, which doesn't really fit in my hand very well. It's also difficult to see the buttons, especially in a dimly lit room. Comes with 2 AAA batteries and works fine, though. It also doubles as a controller as it has the traditional buttons on it (X, O, square, triangle, etc.).

The Super Slim PS3 is much smaller than I anticipated. My large Xbox 360 looks downright huge next to it. I'm on the fence about the sliding disc drive cover, but it does its job. The drive sounds quiet, and I can't hear it unless there is no sound on the TV. Sometimes I wish the drive had a button that you pushed to open the cover (like on the original PSX) but that's probably just being nit-picky.

The controller is wireless and rechargeable. I would've liked a removeable battery pack a la the Xbox 360 just in case the internal battery stops holding a charge. You charge this controller using a USB cable that is included. The cable is pretty short, so I would recommend just charging the controller using a PC's USB port rather than trying to play with it connected to the console. It also only charges when the console is on, another plus for PC charging. The controller is almost identical to the Dual Shock 2, but there is now a motion-detector (SIXAXIS) and the L2/R2 buttons are now triggers rather than traditional buttons. There's also a center button that allows you to access the menus and turn on/off the controller and console.

I'm pleasantly surprised with All-Stars Battle Royale, but I have yet to open the Ratchet & Clank collection. It also comes with a 1 month trial of Playstation+, but you have to enter your credit card information to use the trial. If you don't cancel before the end of the month, they will continue to charge you for the subscription. The Playstation+ subscription allows you to get discounts on the Playstation Store and you can also download a limited selection of free games (LittleBigPlanet 2, inFamous 2, Super Street Fighter IV Arcade, etc.). There are also free 1 hour trials of a large selection of retail games for you to try on Playstation+. The included games do not come in a traditional plastic case, just a cardboard sleeve. Not a huge deal, but something that probably deserves mentioning.

Comparing the PSN service to Xbox Live, I prefer Xbox Live. It's easier to communicate with friends using Xbox Live and it's easier to play cooperatively and compare stats. Xbox Live just seems to have more effort put into it than Sony put into PSN. The trophy system also seems a little bit more shallow than the point-based achievement system on the Xbox 360. However, I am pleased with the fact that you can level-up based on the number of trophies you have. That adds an extra element of competition amongst your friends.

I did encounter one major issue with my PS3 out of the box. I completed the initial setup using the default (automatic) options, and I noticed that every so often my screen would go completely black, then come back on. The sound during this time would also be lost. I removed the option to use 1080p, and left 720p checked and that seemed to help, but it still does it every once in a great while... just not as often as before. If it continues to do this, I may consider lowering the score. At the rate it's doing it now (maybe once every couple of days) it's not a huge deal to me. If it goes back to doing it multiple times per session, though, I'll be thoroughly disappointed. I'm connected to my TV using the HDMI cable at the moment.

[UPDATE 6-24-13] I haven't experienced the black screen issue in a few months, so I believe it's fixed. My guess is that it was trying to output 1080p to my TV, which is 720p. I'll keep it in my review, though, in case anyone else runs into the same problem. I updated my score, however.

All-in-all, I'm very pleased with this purchase. I've been enjoying Gran Turismo 5, Twisted Metal, and Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale the most out of the games I've played. There's a huge library of games out there that I didn't even know existed. Lots of great JRPGs and exclusive titles to check out. I highly recommend the PS3.
on March 25, 2013
I actually took one apart that i got for free so here is everything i know that i can tell you :)

1. The PS3 Super Slim is 20 percent smaller and 25 percent lighter than the previous model. It measures 11.4″ (W) x 2.36″ (T) x 9.05″ (D).

2. Like its predecessor, this PS3 has two USB ports and a hard drive activity light along the front. Around back, you'll find the same Ethernet, HDMI, optical audio, and PS3 AV ports found on the previous model.

3. Redesigned Blu-ray drive: The new machine's optical drive has a manual sliding disc cover instead of a motorized slot-loading mechanism. This design likely helped Sony cut both costs and save space, but it just feels cheap and as Bakalar wrote, it's "ultimately a step back."

4. Repositioned HDD: The original PS3's hard drive was accessed through a panel on the side. Sony moved that access point to the front on the PS3 Slim. And now, they've gone right back to the side. But on the Super Slim you remove the whole side panel and not just a small cover.

5. Smaller power supply: Like the optical drive, the new machine's power supply is smaller than the PS3 Slim's. It's also rated for fewer Amps, so the new console appears to be drawing less current than its predecessors.

6. Smaller fan that's more difficult to remove: Unlike the PS3 Slim you can't remove the fan without removing the whole motherboard assembly and then separating the shield from the motherboard. Given the Super Slim's more compact design, it's not surprising that the cooling fan is smaller than the one in the larger Slim.

7. More compact motherboard, new components, same overall specs: Compared to the PS3 Slim's board, the Super Slim's board is smaller and the chips are placed closer to each other. Sony also removed the heat spreader from the Reality Synthesizer package, swapped Marvell's discreet wireless board for a newer Marvell WLAN/Bluetooth SoC, and went with two 1Gb XDR DRAM chips for the machine's main memory instead of older machine's four 512Mb chips.

Now for the internal hardware!:

1. Sony Cell Broadband Engine CXD2996BGB
2. Sony RSX CXD5302DGB 220B25NA "Reality Synthesizer"
3. Hynix 64MB (536,870,912 bits) H5RS5223DFR-14C GDDR3 SDRAM (x4)
4. Sony CXM4027R MultiAV Driver (CXM4027R 221N26E)
5. Panasonic MN8647091 HDMI transmitter
6. Marvell 88EC060 Fast Ethernet PHY transceiver
7. Samsung 1Gb K4Y12324TE-KCB3 DRAM (x2 for 256MB)
8.Sony CXD9963GB Southbridge
9. Sony CXD5132R-1 Blu-ray drive SATA controller
10. Spansion S29GL128P90TFIR2 NOR Flash
11. Marvell Avastar 88W8782 WLAN system-on-chip (SoC)
12. Panasonic CR 2032 3V system battery
13.Sony IDT 9277BNLG 1133L
14. Winbond 25Q16CVY05 1221
15. Fairchild FDMF6823C Extra-Small, High-Performance, High-Frequency DrMOS Module (FDC25AV FDMF6823C)
16. Sony SW3-302 system controller
22. Sony IDT 4227ANLG
23. Texas Instruments PS53123
24. Sony Model APS-330 12V, 18A power supply
25. Delta Electronics KSB0812HE DC12V 1.65A fan

Pros:
1. Lighter and smaller.
2. Shinny finish will attract some fans.
3. higher GB for the price.
4. less energy to power it.

Cons:
1. [Super Con] They removed the cool disc insertion mechanism for a slider disk drive.
2. The new finish will glitter with fingerprints.
on December 7, 2012
The games that come included aren't really the best, but for what they give you, it's still a really good price! Two games, the new PS3 and a media remote for BluRay movies! I personally loved this. I own an Xbox 360 and got a PS3 just for the awesome single player games! Definitely worth it!
on January 7, 2013
My PS3 recently pooped the bed, and needed to be replaced. The new super-slim PS3 has a lot of interesting features that I appreciate, and others that I wish weren't removed.

The Good:
- Slim design
- Uses less power than the older PS3s
- Quiet
- 250GB of storage
- Plays all PS1 games
- Top-loading mechanical disk drive*
*Some may not consider this a feature and may like the "feeding" disk drive instead, but when your PS3 breaks and a game is stuck inside your broken PS3 and you have to take it apart to get your game back you'll appreciate this feature.

The Bad:
- Only 2 USB ports
- No PS2 backwards compatability
- No Memory Card ports

The Ugly:
- Looks "cheap" compared to older sleeker PS3s

The remote control for playing Blu-Ray movies is a nice bonus, and it comes with 2 $60 games. Since there are only 2 USB ports you might need an USB splitter for using Move or some multiplayer games. I really REALLY wish that they would bring back PS2 backwards compatability. Even if it was an additional component that I had to buy on the side (like the old SEGA CD or 32X) I would be fine with that. Since my old PS3 (which had full backwards compatability) died, I now have to buy a seperate PS2 in order to play all my PS2 games. This bundle is still a great deal though, so I would still recommend it and give it 5 stars.
on March 17, 2013
My original "FAT 60GB" PS3 died on me for the second time (YLOD) and rather than pay Sony another $150 for repair, I decided to pay an extra $100 and get this $250 Bundle on Amazon. Wow, that was a great deal. This new 3rd version of the PS3 is super small and super quiet and the best part is it stays super cool and doesn't heat up my room like my old one did. Sure it looks "cheap" compared to the old one, but it still looks good enough. I like that you can just pop open the drive door manually and grab your disk out, no risk of getting it stuck in there like my old one did. Of course I lost my PS2 Hardware Backwards compatibility as this new model doesn't have it like my old 60gb did, but to be honest I haven't played any of my old PS2 disks in a few years anyway.

I already had a Sony PS3 Remote, but the newest version included in this bundle was a huge step up. They rearranged some of the horribly placed buttons (no more hitting STOP instead of PAUSE by accident!) and it also has an RF transmitter to control my TV too. Very nice.

The two bundled games were also pretty nice, not my cup of tea, but something fun to play around with.

The WIFI connection seems to be a step up in speed too compared with my old PS3 60GB - still not what I would consider "normal" speed, but MUCH MUCH MUCH faster downloading stuff from Sony than before.

In summary, this is a GREAT step up from anybody who is still suffering with one of the original PS3s that sound like a blow dryer and turn the room into a sauna. Very recommended!!!
on April 30, 2013
As a gamer and father of 4 children that also like to game, I like to think of myself as fairly knowledgable in gaming and systems. I currently own 3 PS3's and have bought 4 over the past 5 years. I have owned two Fat 80GB PS3 Metal Gear edition, the Slim 160GB system and now this system which I am reviewing today. That being said, I will go over the pros and cons of this system and try to keep out any rambling as much as possible.
Pros:
The price was definitely right...I bought this for $225.00 on sale on Amazon. Great price at the time and it comes with 4 games and a BluRay PS3 remote. The system is smaller, so for shelf space I suppose some people really like that option too.My younger kids love the Ratchet and Clank games and my older kids love the All Star Battle Royal game, so it was nice to get games with the system. Personally I love using the BluRay controller when watching movies to not have to worry about the gaming controller turning off or using it's power. The PS3 itself seems quiet and even though I have only owned it for a month or two now, it is used a lot and I have not noticed any major issues with it.
Cons:
The games for this system come in sleeves, not in hard cases. I know many people have complained about that fact. To me, having free games comes at a price and if that's the price of a hard case, no biggie...but it is a con. The slidding door on the top of the PS3 I am not a fan of. You can press a button to open the door when the game is running or not but the button does not close the door. In addition to this, you can not select eject game from the XMB menu and you have to have your PS3 low enough to be able to see where you are sticking your hands when removing the disc from it. As an adult it probably won't bother you much, but if you have kids that use the system you will have to be careful they put the disc in correctly and don't touch the lens when trying to get the disc.
Those were the main system points I noticed. If the system had a more user friendly child way to access the disc and if there were hard cases for the games this would have recieved 5 stars, but I really don't like the top access on this PS3. The price was really good and you can't argue with the accessories and games that it comes with...so with all of that being said, 4 stars from me.
on July 9, 2015
The professional Sony packaging was a behemoth of a product to behold in all its high-def entertainment system glory. Upon slitting open the Sony seal, there was a well-packaged dualshock 3 controller, Blu-Ray media remote, AV and power cables, small USB mini B charging cable, and the CECH-4001B 250 GB 3rd iteration PlayStation 3 console. First, the plastic aesthetics does make the product look cheap and the inner grille design isn't helping either but it's a technological marvel how well Sony has engineered a gaming console that's reliable and small. This is my first entertainment console that I purchased in a long while and I am mighty impressed with the level of graphics and gameplay. I bought myself an HDMI cable because none were included with the product. I also received two non-resellable games, PlayStation Royale All-Stars and Ratchet and Clank Collection. I also received $40 Amazon Instant Video credit with this bundle. This bundle has a total value of over $110 and every penny is worth it. I will definitely not purchase the PS4 yet because I have a huge backlog of games to go through.

I think this is the best Amazon exclusive PS3 console bundle to buy and at $279.99, it's a good deal for what I got. I don't care that this system is already over 7 years old because the console is still relevant and there are still people who just purchased one because it's finally affordable. The value of this bundle is amazing and it's the most feature complete experience right out of the box.

I use this console to play games, check my email using WiFi or Ethernet, make Custom PS3 background screens, play downloaded PSN games from the PlayStation network (free and will continue to be free for the life of the system) , play music on Spotify, go through photos and custom music, use the myriad of entertainment apps(YouTube, HBO Go, July, Amazon Instant Video, and IGN,etc.), check my trophies, free video chat with a separately sold PS3 Eye camera, PS3 Move system sold separately, and separately sold official PS3 wireless stereo headset. The PlayStation ecosystem is definitely worth your money and you will definitely grow fond of this system. I have never wrote such an in depth review of a console before but this is amazing value. Even though the Amazon Exclusive bundle is unavailable, I hope it will be offered someday. I love this console even,though it looks cheap because its got the best value.
on May 14, 2013
I love everything about this product, by far the best deal you can ask for on a PlayStation 3, comes with the controller, Blue-Ray COntroller, and of course 2 games, one of which contains 3 games, so a total of 4 games. And the games are fun, I originally just wanted a PlayStation so I can buy Tales of Xillia and Kingdom Hearts later in the year, and I'm really glad I got this Playstation. Let me just put it in perspective for you, as of now that I'm posting it, it's 249.99 and it's 250 GB, so pretty much a dollar per GB, along with 2 games, and blue ray controller. It's great, I'm more of an xBox 360 guy, but this is really making me enjoy PlayStation.

See 1 answered question