Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Kate Voegele Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now
Customer Discussions > Amazon Daily forum

Amazon Gift Card Fraud

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 141 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 23, 2012 7:32:03 AM PDT
A734 says:
I am having issues redeeming a gift card. There seems to be a fraud as the redemption code has been compromised. Customer support has the email address of the offender, however there hasn't been any progress escalating this to their fraud/security department or law enforcement.

Has anybody faced a similar problem? This is scary, and the lack of urgency from the customer support/gift card department is appalling.

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 5:12:16 AM PST
JFSeddon says:
I also have had a problem along the same lines- I was bought a gift certificate for £70 but when I went to use it it had been spent; I reported this to customer support who explained that it was a zero balance as it had been used by someone called 'Huy Jimmy' - not me I assure you! The operative said that he would get someone from fraud to contact me within 24 hours. Three days later with no reply from amazon I sent an email - and four days later I sent another email - - . I agree with the person above if Amazon cannot ensure security of their own gift certificates what does it say about the management of other customer information?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2013 5:16:33 AM PST
JFSeddon says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 7:29:44 PM PST
groovy says:
Is there any follow up to this? I'm having the same issue. Was issued a gift card, unable to redeem it as it has already been redeemed. Amazon won't tell me more than that and the person who issued it to me says its not their problem since I've already spent it.
Very frustrating.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 3:45:08 AM PST
JFSeddon says:
I reported this to my local police who advised me to contact the nation Action Fraud team (www.actionfraud.police.uk) and so I have reported this crime - which is what it is - to them. I have also posted this issue to a number of consumer websites e.g. Money Savings Expert and reported it to Which

I think that because the amounts are small people aren't taking this seriously but these small amounts add up and could indicate problems with Amazons security and systems and certainly their customer care. I would suggest that you report it as well and who knows we maybe able to get someone to do something about !

Posted on Jan 30, 2013 11:38:54 AM PST
Riuski says:
Hi guys, I'm not privy to your specific situations but I'd like to bring up some points that may be of interest:
1) Where did you get the gift card codes? This is important since if you bought it off non-Amazon sources you could have been scammed by someone who sold the same code to multiple parties.
2) I have purchased and redeemed upwards of 30 gift card codes on Amazon (often to myself to use up rebate Visa cards) and have NEVER had the codes compromised. I'm not certain whether the issue is limited to the UK, but I have certainly not heard of this particular issue from anyone else I know who purchases from Amazon. I have considered the possibility that people could theoretically hack their GC database or guess the gift card code by brute force, but the latter seems unlikely, and the former has never been reported here.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2013 1:36:02 PM PST
JFSeddon says:
My sister in law bought the Gift Certificate via her Amazon UK account. Amazon then sent an email direct to me with the claim code on - so not forwarded or cc'd so how was my message and claim code accessed. Searching on UK blogs and sites I have now found a few people who have had the same problem (and Amazon response) and to me it raises questions about

- the security on the Amazon certificate service
- the security of the site overall
- the possibility that although the amounts are small this could be part of a wider scam
- the poor customer care; Amazon actually know who used my gift certificates but will do nothing

Like you I don't believe that the person who stole my Gift Certificates just happened on to a 14 alpha-numeric code and if I was Amazon I think I would really want to know how this could happen - and stop it!

Posted on Sep 3, 2013 2:05:04 PM PDT
I was sent two Amazon gift certificates via snail mail. There was a return address I did not recognize; it was from a person whose name I did not know! There was no message. Just a blank piece of paper inside the envelope with two Amazon gift certificates! Weird! I've learned that when something seems too good to be true, it usually isn't true, but I don't get the point of this. Why send the cards? And if they are phony, what's the payoff, and for whom? Has someone figured this out?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2013 1:03:22 PM PST
yes, i'm going through a similar situation as we speak. now, i'm out $150. customer service just game me $10 to "solve" my problem. did you manage to get this issue taken care of?

Posted on Dec 4, 2013 12:08:22 PM PST
Joseph says:
This is a common scam using Amazon Gift Cards but Customer Service doesn't care.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2013 3:56:10 PM PST
CatMom3 says:
It is possible then if you received the code via email that someone may have compromised your email account? I'd run a virus scan and malware scan on your computer and see if there are hidden trojans, etc., through which a hacker might have gained entrance to your email account.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2013 3:30:37 AM PST
JFSeddon says:
My sister - who bought the Gift Cards for us - did resolve the problem with Amazon UK however she is a very determined woman who just refused to accept the 'sorry not our problem check your computer for virus/malware stunt'

After ten days she got a full refund and an apology but it has made me very wary about using amazon Gift Cards.

By the way my sisters husband is an IT expert and so maintains a high level of security on their home computers!

Posted on Dec 26, 2013 7:06:25 AM PST
K. A. Wilson says:
I received an email for a $200 gift card from Uncle Sky. I don't have an Uncle Sky, or actually call anyone Uncle. I saw the email on my phone and didn't want to use the email to open my Amazon account in case it was a virus. I pulled up Amazon on my home laptop and the code is invalid. Not sure what the whole point to that is.

Posted on Dec 27, 2013 5:19:51 AM PST
My mother purchased two $100 gift cards for us at a Kroger supermarket on Voss Road in Houston, TX, and when the scratch bar was removed, there was not claim code at all. Amazon customer service claims no recourse except returning to the retailer, which is impossible for us as we live in Virginia. Unbelievable that Amazon takes no responsibility for its retail cards, has no means of verifying their purchase and redemption, and offers consumers no recourse for their replacement. If that is the case, they should stop offering them altogether....

Posted on Dec 27, 2013 5:41:34 AM PST
I just spoke with the Kroger manager in Houston, TX, and she says they have run into numerous fake Amazon cards of the $100 variety. Kroger is covering their customers, thank goodness, but Amazon corporate refuses to help them recover losses at all, even though the cards come directly from them (and have been "tampered with" according to the store). If Amazon loses retailer confidence in their products, they stand to loose millions. I can't believe they are so foolish as to risk losing the local gift card market (and the many customers affected by such fraudulent sales).

Posted on Dec 28, 2013 10:28:08 AM PST
K. Shephard says:
I just had an incident at Safeway here in California.
I purchased a card for my nephew. When he opened the card on Christmas, everything on the back of the card was gone.
The only thing that was left was the barcode to activate the card. The card had been compromised. The thief had removed the card obtained the redemption information, then put the package back together and it was put back on the shelf.

Since the cards have no value until activated, the store doesn't monitor the removal of the card from the store.
I will never buy another gift card at a retailer, unless said retailer is the same as the card.

The Safeway manager plain and simply said, "I wouldn't trust one of those cards off my rack and you shouldn't either."
They keep the unactivated Visa cards behind the counter for exactly this reason.
He refunded me my money as a courtesy but said that they normally must go through corporate because the activation of the card transfers the money directly to Amazon.

Don't buy Amazon cards from *ANYONE* except directly from Amazon.

Posted on Dec 28, 2013 12:43:57 PM PST
Joseph says:
There is a huge fraud concerning Amazon Gift Cards and Amazon refuses to deal with it; in fact I believe that Amazon refuses to deal with it because they are making money from it. Amazon has the names and addresses of the perpetrators but refuses to release the information because they say that it might have been a gift from those involved in the fraudulent scheme. I don't believe them. Those consumers who buy from Amazon are going to have less money in their wallets. Bring your business elsewhere.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2013 1:58:00 PM PST
I would recommend you contest the transaction on your credit card of purchase and turn this over to the credit card companies. They will put pressure on Amazon to resolve the situation--eventually...

Posted on Dec 29, 2013 2:20:51 PM PST
JFSeddon says:
The UK Government has a fraud division who provide a central point of contact for information about fraud and financially motivated internet crime for if you have been scammed, ripped off or conned so victims of Amazon Gift Card fraud (which I actually think is a larger issue than the occasional scam) you should report problems to them so that if they get enough people reporting thefts then they may be able to do something about it - they can be contacted at http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

Posted on Jan 4, 2014 7:43:14 PM PST
Ann Klaus says:
I am having the same issues. I looked online and there is a scam where they get the numbers off the cards before they are bought and then keep checking to see if the cards have been activated. I also got no help from Amazon except to read the fine print that says they are not responsible for lost or stolen cards. I tried to explain that I have the card in my hand it was not list or stolen but did not get any help.

Posted on Jan 7, 2014 9:41:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2014 9:43:56 AM PST
Jim says:
Amazon scammed me. Bought 11 $25 Outback Gift cards for my employees for Christmas gifts and it said they were AMAZON PRIME. I ordered the cards on the 14th of December (10 days before Christmas), four days later I got some cryptic email message saying they had a problem with one of the cards and they would be waiting for me to send it back before they sent the rest of the amazon prime order 14 days after it was ordered. Three weeks later (2 weeks after Christmas), without me doing anything, they sent the other 10 cards but the only return shipping label that will print is for the one card that they said I was supposed to send back. THAT IS FRAUD AMAZON they send one card then tell you to send it back in order to delay the whole order, then 2 weeks after Christmas they send you 10 cards you can't use... and can't get a refund for.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2014 9:37:57 PM PDT
Michael J. says:
I attempted to add an Amazon card I received as a gift. It failed with a bad code. Everything on the back was intact, including the silver scratch cover over the code. The code only had two digits after the last dash, however. Customer service told me that it had already been redeemed and sent my claim to the gift card department. I am supposed to hear within two days. Since I personally scratched off the silver protection over the code I am wondering how the card could have been compromised. Could someone have used a card scanner and pulled the information off of the bar code? What is with the missing characters from the code?

Posted on Mar 11, 2014 11:59:20 PM PDT
A Wong says:
Exact same situation as Michael J above. I just scratched off the silver protection over the code and there was not enough digits in the code to redeem it on Amazon's website. Reached out to Amazon's customer service dept and they said the card has already been redeemed, and I need to go back to the grocery store where the gift card was purchased for a replacement. Went to the store today and got on the phone with an Amazon customer service rep with the store manager, and the customer service rep said they can't do anything and forwarded my case to the gift card department. The gift card department replied and said the card "may have been used by someone other than the intended recipient" and they are "not able to resend the gift card or refund the order."

I have no other options at this point and hope Amazon can research the account of the person who redeemed this gift card.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2014 6:56:44 PM PDT
Michael J. says:
I was able to get Amazon to give me a $25 Promotional Certificate after two phone calls. There is something going wrong with these cards.

Posted on Apr 23, 2014 9:27:40 AM PDT
Same problem here. Bought the gift card at Fred Meyer, went to redeem it 2 days later only to be told it has already been redeemed. It also only had 2 digits after the last dash - for a total of 12 digits, not 14 or 15 like Amazon says there should be. I'll be heading back to the store tonight to see what they say. And no one at Amazon seems to care. They pointed me to the fine print that says its my problem (paraphrased) - so basically "we got our money, too bad for you" was their response.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Amazon Daily forum
Participants:  63
Total posts:  141
Initial post:  Aug 23, 2012
Latest post:  15 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 29 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about