Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 1,587 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,734 reviews
on November 18, 2011
I got mine 2 days after my Kindle, and it's made a nice resting place for my Kindle when not in use.

Quality:
I certainly don't see any creases or obvious defects in workmanship like some other reviewers have claimed. The leathery handle material tends to pick up some finger grease occasionally, but that comes off easily with a cloth. While I can't say it's made of the most amazing material or quality, it's certainly comparable to many other sleeves. It beats the $5 - 10 eBay sleeves I've gotten for other devices, by far. I can't understand why people are leaving such negative reviews, that $30 is too much for something like this, especially when they clearly could see what it looked like in the product images (did you forget to zoom?) before purchasing. What I got was exactly as pictured and described, and I have very little room for complaints about the quality.

Smell:
I don't know what everyone else is smelling, but we're either all old here, have stuffy noses from seasonal allergies, or I just got a different batch than everyone else. I can smell the new plastic scent when I hold the sleeve directly in my face, but it's not overpowering at all. It's certainly magnitudes less of a scent than a new car, a new printer, etc. I didn't even notice it until I read the reviews. Your mileage may vary, depending on just how sensitive your nose is. Just know that if you get one from the same batch as mine, it's on par (or less) as most other electronics out there.

Product:
I'm a bit concerned about the relatively small margin between the device and the zipper. I'm afraid I'm going to not put the Kindle in far enough, and have the zipper scratching up the sides. Smaller margin means less wiggle-room for the Kindle while in transit, as well as smaller size for easier handling and fit, so I suppose it's a fair trade-off -- as long as I can remember to consistently push it in all the way before zipping. Inconvenient? Sure enough. But since a 7" tablet is all about size, I can certainly deal with it.

Other reviewers have complained about lack of protection. Exactly what are you expecting? If you're wanting ruggedization, you should consider getting a full case or bag instead. This is a lightweight *sleeve*, meant for portability -- to protect the Kindle from light shocks and other objects while in an outer bag or pocket. That said, this sleeve has quite a bit of protection compared to most other sleeves I've had. I feel absolutely confident it provides enough protection for what I'll be carrying the sleeve in (my MacBook Air bag, or my coat's inner pocket).

As long as you are confident that a compact sleeve is all you're looking for, I believe this will do the job just fine for you too.

Update (May 4, 2012):
Roughly half a year since I started using the case, and it's doing great. It goes with me whenever I go out, in my car door's pocket. Restaurants, beaches, doctor offices, and stores -- it's seen them all, and no wear or stains to speak of yet. It's protected my Kindle well, and its portability is indeed excellent.

Despite my initial concern for the zipper scratching my Kindle because of its tight fit, I'm happy to report that such an incident has yet to occur, and my Kindle still looks brand new thanks to it.
22 comments| 373 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 19, 2011
Electronics cases are a weird industry; most of them are relatively basic pieces of foam, neoprene or various plastics and cost a lot compared to what they are. Electronic device cases are kind of a necessary 'evil' in some ways.

That said I'm still pleased with this case. Yes, it was thirty bucks but I do appreciate that it's a classy looking thing. I have the charcoal version, with the honey 'leather' strap and it's very tweed-like. Yeah, it smelled a bit when I first unwrapped it but that smell is gone 3-days later (I've had laptop bags that were waaaay worse. Like stinking up my entire apartment ...)

The protection is adequate and I like how it zips only 1/2 of the way open (an "L-shaded" zipper) which makes it difficult for the Fire to slip out of the bottom as you unzip it. It's also nice and snug so the overall package is not too bulky.

All in all, I'm pleased that this bag is a nice presentation. Usually I don't care about this stuff as I just want protection when I throw my electronics in my backpack. But this case merits being left on my desk for all to see ...

PS: Many people seem not to know about AmazonBasics. I'd advise doing a search here on Amazon for that term and you'll see all of Amazon's house-brand cables, cases, CD-r and so forth. This is relevant as they make several generic neoprene cases for all sorts of electronics. Often time you can avoid the major brand names if you just want a simple case, even one that might be an inch too big, as you transport your devices to and from work or school. AmazonBasics have always been super good bargains, in general. Just a random example; not saying this is proper for a Fire necessarily but to give you an idea of what I'm talking about: B002VPE1Q6
0Comment| 99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 19, 2013
There are tons of reviews for this zip sleeve. And if you're like me, the way they disagree with not going too much in the way of details makes things kind of confusing.

First off, those that are complaining about the product smelling either like to stick their noses where they don't belong (pardon the pun) or they have a far more sensitive sense of smell than most people. If you have a regular sense of smell like most people, unless you stick your nose right into this thing, you're not hardly going to smell a thing. Pretty much every product you buy new is going to smell to some degree and this one doesn't smell anymore than pretty much any other product I've bought.

Secondly, those complaining about this sleeve not providing protection against drops are right. The cushioning on it is not thick enough to provide proper cushioning to protect your Kindle against drops. You're barely going to get anymore protection than you would if you dropped the Kindle without the case other than preventing scratches. HOWEVER, that could be said of basically nearly EVERY sleeve or cover on the market. The way a product is protected by cushioning is by extending the force of the impact over a longer period of time by the product deflecting the cushioning. The thinner the cushion is, the more chance there is that the cushion will bottom out and the higher the impact force will likely be. You really need at least a half inch to inch or more of cushioning minimum to do much good. I should know because I'm a packaging engineer. And basically every sleeve or cover out there doesn't offer that. And if it did, people would be complaining about it being super bulky. So which do you want: ease of carrying around or super bulky but protective? It's either going to be one or the other.

Now to the main point I wanted to make about the sleeve. Beware of the description. Amazon really needs to reword that description. This sleeve does not fit the Kindle Fire HD. It might fit the Kindle Fire HDX if the Kindle Fire HDX is smaller than the Kindle Fire HD I have. As far as I know, there is no new Kindle Fire HD that is newer than the one I have other than the HDX. The sleeve will however fit my old Kindle Fire which is NOT an HD version of the Kindle Fire. For everyone's info, both of those screens measure 7" diagonally. The difference is that the Kindle Fire HD has a wider border around it likely due to the camera on it. So for those wondering, "How do I tell for sure if mine will fit?" Here's what I think is the best way to tell. Get a tape measure out and measure the outside diagonal dimension of the product from corner to corner. The old Kindle Fire measures 8 1/2" diagonally and it fits. The Kindle Fire HD measures 8 7/8" or slightly under 9" diagonally. It will not fit in the sleeve. So if your Kindle measures more than 8 1/2" diagonally then it likely won't fit.

I also have a similar sleeve for my Kindle PaperWhite. I liked that sleeve so much that I bought this one. The main protection that sleeves give a Kindle is protection from scratching. I've had the book style covers. The reason why I like these type of sleeves so much is because they are so easy and comfortable to carry using the handle. When you have a regular cover, carrying a Kindle is similar to carrying a book. And honestly, when you compare carrying a Kindle in book fashion vs. sleeve handle, the sleeve handle is far more ergonomically comfortable. When I carry it, I like to position the sleeve to me like it is shown in the picture with the handle facing me and the zipper to the right. I place my left hand in it with my palm facing me and it is very comfortable. Although it might be a little more comfortable for me since I'm a left handed person. For a right handed person they might want to make a design with the handle on the right and the L-shaped opening on the left unless people like to use their dominant hand to open the zipper instead of holding the sleeve.

Anyway, I think that about covers it. The sleeve I have for my PaperWhite has held up really well. The handle appears to be pleather, but I haven't had any problems with any cracks or flaking of material from the handle. That sleeve pretty much still looks like brand new and I've had it for basically a full year or since the PaperWhite first came out. So I think this one will likely hold up pretty well also.
on November 8, 2014
Just got this and have hardly used it, but I love it. Protective, low bulk and weight.

If I want true water-proofness, the 7" Kindle hdx fits nicely in a quart ziplock. Well, but this case won't fit in a quart ziplock, and I just tested and with a freezer ziplock it's a VERY tight fit to put the kindle in the ziplock and then put those inside this case. Overall fits fine that way, but rounding the corner with the zipper is really too tight, puts too much stress on the zipper I think.

The fact that the zipper just goes around on two of the four sides doesn't bother me, really it's just that much easier in a way.

Amazon: please make one of these for the 8.9" hdx model. I'll buy one. The "Amazon Basics" case is good too, but I like this better.
on April 30, 2014
After trying to put several protector screens on my HDX, I finally tried this zip sleeve. After using it, I realized I did not need a screen protector. It protects the HDX in several ways - does not allow screen to be scarred from dropping or other action, protects & cushions the HDX when dropped, keeps the screen clean while stored & allows the HDX to be charged. I read the HDX only in my bedroom. I read in the living room using a Kinkle app on ASUS tablet. So I do not move the HDX back & forth. If you plan to move the HDX to different rooms, it has a place to insert your belt or a small strap could be used in the belt loop to carry HDX & the zip sleeve would protect HDX from being dropped or screen being scarred. I recommend the sleeve for HDX.
HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWERon January 22, 2015
This fits well, works well, protects well and is well made. One interesting surprise was that it only unzips from top and side. The bottom is fully sewn. At first I didn't like this but later I realized that it helps keep the tablet from sliding out the bottom.

The fit & finish are good, the internal padding is better than expected, and overall I am pleased with this case. If it could have been a tiny bit more svelte I could have felt 5 star about it.
on February 9, 2014
Excellent value! I bought this case because the Origami case kept putting my kindle to sleep. This zip sleeve looked like a good bargain, even if I wasn't crazy about the color (which appears yellow in pictures). I was pleasantly surprised to find the true color is a darker green than pictured. My kindle is secure and protected in this case.
on May 20, 2015
I like the quality, but it seems just a tiny bit too small for my HD 7. I feel like it's going to scratch the side and corner of my Kindle from zipping.

***After using it for a couple of weeks it seems to stretch a bit and is only a tiny bit snug going around the corner. Not so worried about damaging my Kindle HD 7 now. The quality is outstanding and I love the look of it. Raising it up to 4 stars from 3.
on November 17, 2011
Does the Kindle Fire Zip Sleeve smell? Yes. Mine arrived today, and as other reviewers have shrieked to the blackened skies of woe, there's a light-to-medium plastichemical odor.

Dealbreaker? Perhaps for some. Maybe my sense of smell has dulled a smidge over the years, but there's no way the sleeve's emanations will permeate a household, car, bus, bedroom, insert-enclosed-space here. After removing mine from the packaging, I parked it on my front porch in the fresh air for a couple of hours, and the scent is mostly diminished. I'm fairly confident the remaining odor will dissipate over time, but if it doesn't, I'm reasonably sure it's not going to induce mid-40s limb deformities. If you're overly sensitive to these types of odors, you'll probably want to save yourself the hassle and find something constructed from different materials.

Yes, it's expensive. I knew that when I bought it. I certainly wouldn't condemn the sleeve to an asinine 1-star review based on its price. You *were* there when you clicked "Place Your Order", right? If the current release-time price is a dealbreaker, the solution is quite simple. Wait for the price to drop, or buy something else. Empowered purchasing, no?

The Zip Sleeve is reasonably well-constructed and forms a nice snug fit around the Kindle Fire. The interior, as other reviewers have noted, is sufficient for protecting and cushioning the tablet. The zipper enclosure is solid. The color scheme is appealing, and the Amazon branding isn't obtrusive. I've had bad and good tablet and smartphone cases, and the Zip Sleeve falls in the upper 20% as far as form factor, usability, and construction go. I'll rate it here the same: 4/5.
44 comments| 200 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 8, 2014
I needed a cover for my new Kindle and figured this one would fit my needs. Upon arrival, I was impressed with the outer cover and leather strap. The inner padding is plenty for every day protection without being bulky. An excellent value with the price drop.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.