Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Ingrid Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEM
Customer Discussions > Amazon Music with Prime Music forum

Amazon MP3 Downloader: the Horror

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 37 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 10, 2012 11:00:17 AM PST
Von says:
I don't know if anyone from Amazon MP3 product development reads this, but on the off chance that this is a better way to be heard than writing an email and getting a form mail in response:

MP3 Downloader is a horrible idea. KILL IT

1) I know how to download. I - and thousands if not millions of people - do NOT need another program to install to download your product.

Ever digital music service thinks you are going to be excited to install a special "Downloader" to manage the stuff with

WE DONT NEED IT

2) If you must - DONT FORCE AN INSTALL

I bought an MP3 album and there was *no* option to bypass the download and simply download the product to a directory of my choice

??

This alone is enough to make someone *cancel* the order in annoyance.

I'm sure many do.

Tip: Check your metrics on how many people bail out on your process on the download landing page

I almost did, but in this case Amazon was the only place that I could find that carried what I want.

So: to summarize

- don't want another "downloader" that "manages" my music for me

- don't want to hunt on my harddrive for music I download

- don't want to hassle finding the proper channel to voice problems with this and be heard

and

- all of this makes me WAYY less likely to buy music from Amazon in the future.

And (btw) while I'm here:

For the love of God:

Offer music in 320 KBPS and FLAC formats.

Some people care about the sound quality of the music they're buying.

It makes them more likely to buy it

Posted on Jan 23, 2012 7:53:05 PM PST
W. Lucas says:
I just downloaded my first album from Amazon. So disapointed it is only 256 Kbps. I will not buy anymore. I want either flac or 320Kbps. End of story.

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 11:50:35 AM PDT
I am trying to download a song that I need today and for whatever reason I am getting a system error. I know it is not my computer. I used to have the downloader from you guys but all of sudden it's not there and there is a system error it's saying.

Posted on Apr 28, 2012 4:46:10 PM PDT
The Amazon MP3 Downloader is a complete crap.

The Linux Debian version is completely outdated and does not work anymore (the other dependencies, are no longer available).

Amazon: If your're reading this, either update the Debian version to Squeeze, or drop the product altogether.

This was my last MP3 purchase!

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 6:13:29 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 23, 2012 8:07:17 PM PDT]

Posted on Jul 3, 2012 4:57:47 AM PDT
P. Perkins says:
I, too, despise both the idea and the implementation of the Amazon MP3 Downloader. If it were not for an unofficial downloader that, unlike Amazon's, actually works on my computer, I would not be an MP3 Store customer at all. And I would rather have FLAC format files than MP3's of any bit-rate: FLAC is the real music, MP3 is only an approximation.

Posted on Aug 24, 2012 9:08:53 PM PDT
ben m. says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 8:56:20 AM PDT
Upright Ape says:
I'm now having problems with the downloader, specifically the "Can't connect, check your internet connection" nonsense. I've been sending messages to Amazon support and getting responses that essentially tell me to do the same thing all over again - which results in the same error all over again. D'oh! Went through the troubleshooting steps, tried without Firewall or AV software, still get the error.

Well, it is a good way to sell Audio CDs. I canceled all attempts to order it via MP3 download and ordered the Audio CD version - just not from Amazon. Progress marches on.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2012 9:00:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 2, 2012 9:00:44 AM PDT
Upright Ape says:
@ ben m.,
Geesh, if you don't like the complaints in the forum, just stop reading them you [censored] person and stop complaining about the complaining! What a ringing endorsement for iTunes you are!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 1:49:46 AM PDT
I also spent hundreds of dollars on music while supported Linux to only be greeted by that stupid message saying that I have to select and download a maximum of 1 song at a time on linux.
They surely lost my business.

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 10:33:04 PM PST
Brennan says:
I agree. The Amazon Downloader is unnecessary bloatware. Amazon should inform the customer BEFORE purchase that it will be forced upon them, not after the fact. I will not install this stupid app, which means I will not buy any mp3 albums from Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2013 7:23:52 PM PST
i agree 100 percent with what your saying. had to reformat my pc. went to amazon to download mp3 downloader. was i surprise to find no just mp3 downlaoder as i had before i reformat my pc. now they have a mp3 download with cloud and whay want money. go figure. some pin head at amazon figured out hay why not add cloud so we can become greeder and steal money of these poor dopes who are buying tons of our music.

Posted on Feb 10, 2013 3:28:02 PM PST
Agreed - the Amazon Downloader is a piece of crap. I will never again buy digital music from Amazon!

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 8:36:16 PM PST
Jay says:
It won't even install for me. I got a $5 MP3 credit for buying some school books. I tried to download the songs, it forced me to download this downloader business, and the stupid thing won't even work.
I double-click to activate it, it prompts me to allow the installation, and then it just disappears. It's not my computer, other installers work just fine.
This is stupid. I'd rather just buy the CD in-store than deal with this stupid thing.

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 8:16:56 AM PST
R. Farrell says:
utterly atrocious, it's bad enough to have to put this disasterpiece downloader on my computer but it's another entirely to have it wake up the sleeping, god-awful monster of windows media player that i thought i had put to death long ago. i want my files, i don't want them shoved into the gaping maw of microsoft's horrendous media player, let alone itunes (thankfully, that has never been and never will be installed on anything i own). won't be spending another dime here, that's for sure

Posted on Mar 17, 2013 6:45:47 AM PDT
elizabeth says:
AND ANOTHER THING (I have already posted a polite complaint...but after MORE wasted time trying to get music from the cloud on to my computer....I have gotten even more upset)....I want to stop pirating music. I have the money and want to support the artists I like with reasonably priced mp3th offered on Amazon. BUT IF THIS IS THE BEST YOU CAN DO AMAZON, FORGET ABOUT IT. IT'S WAAAAAAAY EASIER TO DEAL WITH ILLEGAL DOWNLOADING SOFTWARE THAN YOUR CRAPPY SET UP. AMAZON SHOULD STOP OFFERING MP3s TILL THEY CAN GET THEIR ACT TOGETHER.

Posted on Jul 17, 2013 10:08:21 AM PDT
Bender says:
Amazon, please do not force people to download this extra program just to download multiple tracks. This is the first album I bought with Amazon, and I was disappointed to see Amazon using this tactic.

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 4:41:55 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 19, 2013 4:43:55 AM PST]

Posted on Feb 2, 2014 2:55:19 PM PST
K says:
I agree, this program is annoying to the extreme. Not only does it clutter my computer but the program insists on attempting to run whenever my computer starts up. An easy fix to be sure, but does Amazon really think this is so important I'm going to want to waste time waiting for it every time I want to get on my computer. Give us an option for direct download without the stupid launcher.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2014 11:53:06 AM PST
Ed. D. says:
Am having the exact same problem. All i need is the MP3 file. Its cool for them to have the downloader and all, but there should be a way to bypass it.
But then again Amazon thinks they have arrived and you have to play by their rules just like on itunes.

Posted on Apr 19, 2014 10:07:01 AM PDT
This downloader is not only superfluous, but glitchy and erratic. I keep having trouble downloading albums in their entirety. Sometimes, it'll save the second half of the album to my cloud and then start downloading, but the first half of the album never appears. What's with this? I know I paid for the whole thing, so why can't I access it? I know I had a stable internet connection throughout the entire download process, so it's definitely Amazon's mistake.

Posted on Jun 25, 2014 8:49:52 PM PDT
No kidding. This amazon downloader is causing me to go crazy. I didn't think buying one song would take out an hour of my life to figure out how to get the file.

Posted on Jul 25, 2014 10:17:13 PM PDT
mark bonuchi says:
I'm an Internet Dj. I don't want or need this memory hog on my system. I know you need it to track my interests for your ads. But it uses too much memory, takes too long to load my purchases, and doesn't allow me an option to bypass it. Life was much better when the options were download to cloud or download to computer. This thing (thing not being a good term) is the reason I'm going to leave Amazon for google music. Its plain and simply malware in my opinion. I hope y'all see the light and get rid of the POS.
LazTopCat... Former loyal costumer...
ps I'm in retail, If I got just ONE review like this, I'd be changing things fast.

Posted on Jul 28, 2014 1:48:56 PM PDT
gbkim says:
I've bought music from Amazon before & it was dead simple, not anymore.
Amazon has made it harder to download the music you just bought. Took me about 15 minutes before I was able to save the song to my computer.
I don't need or want to install the Amazon App or the Downloader.
The hassle made me not want to purchase in the future.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2014 6:57:49 PM PDT
Lyn Pyle says:
Huh. This is my 2nd time trying to download mp3s. Both times, it seemed as though it worked but I couldn't find my files in hard drive, and the download button on firefox toolbar said no downloads occurred this session. I don't want the amazon app to download files either. Guess I'll see what indian customer service rep tells me this time.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  35
Total posts:  37
Initial post:  Jan 10, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 1, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about