Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating FFII_gno
Customer Discussions > I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell forum

Amazon censored my review

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 60 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 7, 2006, 2:16:33 PM PDT
Apparently this is nothing new to Amazon, but it's the first time it happened to me. My review of Tucker Max's little book was well written and articulate, but I gave it two stars. Evidently we are not allowed to give unfavorable reviews to best selling books.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2006, 9:49:28 PM PDT
Spock LeRoq says:
Ive had this problem with Amazon,too.
I read your review,and thought it was very good. Im thinking Tucker has some friends at Amazon.com,considering how much money he makes for them. Ive noticed if you resubmit a review,from a different account, or even from ths same account-slightly changed,sometimes it will not be deleted.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2007, 5:41:52 PM PST
I think that if an author challenges the assertions made in a review, they can have it removed. I've run into this before.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2007, 9:07:21 AM PST
Any chance you still have a copy of it? Could you post it here?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2007, 2:08:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2007, 2:09:40 PM PST
No problem. I submitted my review about seven times. When I inquired why Amazon would not post my review, anonymous Amazon editors gave me very vague criticism. This is a quote from the last message I received:

"Our guidelines do not allow discussions that criticize authors or their intentions. We encourage all voices to respond openly in our store, both positive and negative. However, we do exert some editorial control over our customer reviews."

This is the last version of my review. It was also rejected without explanation.

--------------------------

Excellent bathroom book

If you're looking for light, unchallenging reading while you're on the pot, this is just for you.

Tucker Max does not write very well, despite his opinions to the contrary. For me, the funniest part of this book was when I was half-way through and jumped back to read the acknowledgments, where he thanks a friend for helping turn "good writing into great writing." I've read great writing. This isn't it.

I have absolutely no complaint with Tucker Max's reprehensible behavior. Tucker Max is extremely Tucker Max-centric and seems to equate his every word and action as a manifestation of his flawless brilliance while lamely excusing his boorish behavior by explaining "I'm an a**hole". I don't care. This is not a value judgment on Tucker Max's life or actions. Tucker's book and Tucker's life are not identical or interchangeable. I will limit my comments exclusively to Tucker Max's writing.

I have several criticisms of this book:

(1) As a writer, Tucker is very immature. His storytelling is mediocre and he includes many unnecessary details that add nothing to the enjoyment or humor of his stories.

(2) His grammar is terrible and the book reads like a long spoken narrative, which I suppose is fitting considering much of the material is directly transcribed from his voice recorder. This is acceptable on a web site, but his arbitrarily switching from present to past tense and back is distracting and pointless and only underscores his lack of control as a writer.

(3) He tells roughly the same story for 300 pages. While some of the stories may hold my interest, they're not terribly remarkable. The pattern is: Tucker gets drunk, Tucker behaves badly, Tucker gets laid, then repeat the process. Drunk stories, no matter how remarkable, get old after a couple hundred pages of this.

(4) The stories in the book began life on his web site and are best presented there. The whole thing reads like a badly edited blog in print.

(5) His tone throughout the book becomes wearisome. Notwithstanding that the overall theme is "Tucker rocks, everyone else is stupid", he keeps hammering away at how much regard Tucker has for Tucker and takes it as a given that we should also but never explains why. I might find the stories funnier if I actually knew him, but taken at face value his stories come across like a loud drunk in a bar who wants everyone to hear him - which I guess is pretty close to the truth.

(6) There is no unity, no cohesion, no point (other than "Tucker rocks"), and nothing to tie the book together to make it more than a repetitious collection of unrelated stories.

(7) Tucker's editor let him down. The entire book is badly, badly edited. Aside from the general lack of proofreading, much could have been excised without losing anything. Good writing is concise.

(8) I'm probably not his intended audience, but that's unimportant. Great writing stands on its own merits without pandering to the tastes or expectations of the reader.

Some people have compared Tucker to Hunter Thompson. This is simply ridiculous. Hunter was an excellent writer and knew the difference between good writing and slapdash storytelling.

Again, this is not a judgment on Tucker's behavior or values, only his weak writing. If his sort of humor appeals to you, I recommend you save some money and read them on his web site.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2007, 9:08:19 PM PST
This seems to be happening in general on Amazon these days. I used to be able to rely on the reviews on this site to determine what was good and what was crap. Negative reviews seem to disappear or get buried. Positive reviews get pushed to the front no matter if they are obviously fakes written by the author or his friends. Negative reviews don't generate $$$.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2007, 4:40:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 19, 2007, 4:41:19 PM PDT
Well that should be obvious. To make a profit they have to sell even the worst books. A well worded negative review would turn any serious amazon customer away from a book and thus hurt profits. I learned to read between the lines and get a feel for the personality and inteligence of the reviewer. Knowing what type of person wrote that glowing review can usually help me stay away from some pretty terrible books.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2007, 1:29:49 PM PDT
A real problem on Amazon has been bogus negative reviews, planted either by a competing author using an alias or by his cohorts. The more popular a book is, the more prone to this kind of trashing. That's the main reason. So yours was for-real but gets caught in the dragnet for the scummy perps.

Gerald.
boychiklit.com

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2007, 10:40:26 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2007, 1:47:08 PM PDT
Scott Lloyd says:
Your comments adds nothing to this discussion. Say something intelligent. This is a discussion about books not personalities.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2007, 1:17:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 8, 2007, 1:20:45 PM PDT
ZippyO says:
Feeble Messiah...you are an idiot if you believe any of those stories in that book happened. Jealous of Max???? Come on man, do some reasearch online you Bozo and you will see (WARNING I AM ABOUT TO BURST YOUR BUBBLE) that your idol Max is a liar. After all, just look at the dude, do you truly think a guy that looks like he does on the cover could actually get these drop dead gorgeous babes on a regular basis...NO FREAKIN WAY, NOT IN THIS LIFE OR ANY OTHER. Too bad there are losers like you out there who have to live vicariously through the made up lives of others because you only fuel the fire of their stupidity actually selling.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2008, 3:35:01 PM PST
R. Ferguson says:
Same thing happened to me! I gave it one star, because it's an awful book I never would have finished if I wasn't on a plane. And they took my review down. I bet some of these rave reviews are written by Tucker himself or his friends, because he admits doing that same thing after graduating college in order to get a higher rate at his first job.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2008, 8:50:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 23, 2008, 8:51:11 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2008, 11:33:03 AM PST
Juan Falcone says:
My review (2 stars) was yet another which didn't get posted, despite my having a couple of dozen others published over the years. Maybe Amazon resented my mentioning that half of Tucker Max's book is posted FREE on his website. Whatever. I doubt that I'm going to keep contributing my valuable time and opinions to Amazon reviews, knowing that negative reviews are being censored here. That skews results (which already have a positive bias), and makes them unreliable as a buying guide. That's it for me -- I'm going to make more use of addall book search, instead of just mindlessly buying from this site. Thanks a lot for waking for me up, Amazon censors!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2008, 2:42:25 PM PDT
Cicada Nymph says:
The same thing happened to me twice. Amazon is refusing to post my negative review so here is the second review I wrote: My first review for this book was not posted for some reason so lets try this again. I wish I could give this book no stars. It is first and foremost not funny. There is nothing witty or clever or even so absurd that it is funny about any of the stories. Tucker Max does not know how to set up a story so that it is humorous. I hear funnier (and more inspired) made up stories from drunk idiots at the bar every weekend. If you have read one of these stories you have basically read them all. This book is also so poorly written it makes me cringe. It reads like a badly written blog. The back and forth dialogue is awkward and a pain to read. The content is sexist immature and hateful though I expected that from the title and the author's web page. The only person I would expect to find these stories funny is a not very bright fourteen year old boy or losers with no sexual experience who are trying to vicariously live through others. The author is long past fourteen which just makes him kind of pathetic. I am all for living an original life but there is nothing original or inspired about Tucker Max, he just simply stopped evolving as a person. This never happened to me with any other book but seems to be happening to a lot of people with this piece of crap. I think I'm going to find someone new to purchase from.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2008, 8:31:44 AM PST
Thanks for the review re-post, I appreciate it. It seems tragic to me that AMZN won't post it, and against the social spirit which made them good... Maybe AMZN didn't like the 1st line referencing sitting on the Pot? either way, I'm dissapointed in them.

Posted on Feb 17, 2009, 9:40:10 AM PST
My review was rejected as well, though it was balanced and fair. I also got the runaround from Amazon staff when I complained. I've had my last four or five reviews rejected, and I suspect I have been "black listed". I think this kind of censorship, when it exists because the website wants sales generated from good reviews and therefore suppresses bad reviews, destroys the whole idea of an open and public review forum.

Posted on Feb 17, 2009, 9:41:22 AM PST
My review was rejected as well, though it was balanced and fair. I also got the runaround from Amazon staff when I complained. I've had my last four or five reviews rejected, and I suspect I have been "black listed". I think this kind of censorship, when it exists because the website wants sales generated from good reviews and therefore suppresses bad reviews, destroys the whole idea of an open and public review forum.

Posted on Mar 1, 2009, 3:07:59 PM PST
Mac_Cat says:
I haven't noticed any negative comments of my own that were removed, but i usually write about hardware and not books. While I didn't enjoy the chapter I read from the book, here, I'm equally mystified about how or why it popped up when I logged in. I've never been interested is this kind of stuff and frankly, I was more curious about who would publish something like it.

I agree about comments that too many people who seem to be connected to products, and particularly movies and books, seem to be posting ulta-favorible comments. In fact, they read more like book-cover endoresement, so I usually skip them. The best comments included examples and comparisons, and I try to flag those as helpful and useful posts.

I don't write personal attacks - just comments about the product. However, how do you trash a book without attacking the author (or publisher)? It's difficult, if not impossible. Sorry, that's just the product.

And, by the way, the review was well written and should be posted. Nice job, Aaron Adams!

Posted on Mar 3, 2009, 6:35:13 PM PST
K. Lamb says:
I wrote 2 different reviews and they've both been deleted, I even gave him 2 stars because I pity the poor soul. Amazon likes to make money; integrity, clearly, doesn't sell.

Posted on May 19, 2009, 9:25:47 AM PDT
J. Baker says:
Excellent Review Adam. And I agree, completely professional and not at all overly negative or simply bashing to bash. You had many of the same points I found failing badly with this book.

"(1) As a writer, Tucker is very immature. His storytelling is mediocre and he includes many unnecessary details that add nothing to the enjoyment or humor of his stories."

You hit it head on. The writing was just so bad.

"(2) His grammar is terrible and the book reads like a long spoken narrative, which I suppose is fitting considering much of the material is directly transcribed from his voice recorder. This is acceptable on a web site, but his arbitrarily switching from present to past tense and back is distracting and pointless and only underscores his lack of control as a writer."

I also thought the same. I was thinking...didn't I read at the beginning that his friend took "good writing" into "great writing" -- where was the great writing? Couldn't he afford a good editor? The book appears it was proof read by a high school kid.

"(6) There is no unity, no cohesion, no point (other than "Tucker rocks"), and nothing to tie the book together to make it more than a repetitious collection of unrelated stories."

-- This was the straw for me. I finally realized that the book was going to let me down about half way thru. The "Slingblade" Character is the best one in the book. Better than even "Tucket" thinks of himself to be. And not only that, but "Slingblade" portrays a genuine example of someone who is quite hilarious with "wit" and not just bad drunken behavoir, yet damaged, and ultimately comes thru his experience ok on the other side. I'd much rather hear his story.

The book becomes jargon at this point, I'm highly dissapointed, and agree with your initial response, it might as well be part of the "Big Book of Bathroom Humor" because it's not a novel (despite Tuckets opinion of his great writing...it's not a real book)

"(7) Tucker's editor let him down. The entire book is badly, badly edited. Aside from the general lack of proofreading, much could have been excised without losing anything. Good writing is concise."

That's an understatement...man it was terrible editing. Just god awful. I hope he didn't pay the editor, it looks like they didn't even use microsoft word at all.

"(8) I'm probably not his intended audience, but that's unimportant. Great writing stands on its own merits without pandering to the tastes or expectations of the reader."

I am his intended audience...and he failed. Miserably. But then again, unlike most young college kids, I'm semi-aware and semi-intelligent...two keys that thrwart tuckets writing. Ultimately the point of any real writer is he wants to leave a lasting image with his audience. He wants his work to stand the test of time. This will not, I won't remember the book 6 months from now.

I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who thought the book failed not because of tuckets behavoir, which I could care less about, but because it's trite dribble that's woefully written.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2009, 10:18:03 PM PDT
Aaron, I got the same blather when I posted a review of Live Peace in Toronto. I had said some uncharitable things about Yoko Ono's, uh, musical style. Imagine my surprise when it got yanked from the site with that feeble explanation.

Posted on Mar 12, 2010, 3:08:05 PM PST
Shawn says:
I heard the author on a talk radio show and the book sounded funny, but all the one star reviews here & Amazon.com deleting them troubles me! A friend of mine says, "Reviews are useless & I don't use them in purchase decisions anymore!" she included seeded reviews like Sony posted via bogus bloggers for movies only to later get busted on it. This week I heard the news about Yelp.com pulling negative reviews if the negatively profiled subject pays monthly hush money. This makes me very skeptical unless the info comes from people I know in real life & that I trust their judgement!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2010, 1:28:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 25, 2010, 1:29:48 PM PDT
abstractionz says:
It is funny they responded by saying

"Our guidelines do not allow discussions that criticize authors or their intentions. We encourage all voices to respond openly in our store, both positive and negative. However, we do exert some editorial control over our customer reviews."

I have a book on here, and some guy gave me a 1 star review, claiming that I spam people and plant reviews of my book ( all false allegations ). I contacted Amazon to remove it and they wouldn't, even though the review is a personal attack and has nothing to do with the book. You can see it here:

http://www.amazon.com/review/RJVS0HFFGAZP1/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

I guess I do not count since I am not a bestselling author.

Posted on Nov 24, 2010, 3:18:44 AM PST
Jeremy Gross says:
I just posted several (positive) reviews that included a link to a more detailed discussion of the merits of the work in question on my blog. None of these have shown up. I assume this might be automated because my reviews included the URL, but I have not been given any notification of that. Given blogspot is actively soliciting it's users to use their new jointly developed Amazon plugin to frequently and easily link MY site to THEIRS, that would be pretty hypocritical. If my reviews do NOT show up on Amazon, not only will I NOT install their plugin, I will be regularly and openly suggesting users buy the many books I will yet be discussing somewhere else instead!

This is of course part of the bigger issues of net censorship and net neutrality! We live under the tyranny of many mega corporate empires. Who was it that said, concerning the formation of the United States: "I would not trade one tyrant 2000 miles away, for 2000 tyrants 1 mile away." Well to late buddy! That is just what we have done! And the problem is and is going to get worse, not better.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  53
Total posts:  60
Initial post:  Sep 7, 2006
Latest post:  Aug 11, 2017

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

This discussion is about
I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell
I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell by Tucker Max (Paperback - July 27, 2006)
4.0 out of 5 stars (1,259)