Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One ft Vant PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Announcement

Amazon.com Customer Service

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 301-325 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Mar 4, 2009, 5:41:04 AM PST
L. says:
Mr Woodcock,
My post was addresses to customer service and asked that I be given an option to protect MY grand child (and so that others with like mind could do the same if they choose). I don't give complete access to the internet, either; there are choices and passwording available, and concerned parents could use the option if they choose. This post should devoted to addressing CS - please do not take this as an opportunity to insult me for not wanting to allow ANYONE using my kindle to view graphic material. Do with your children as YOU see fit. The rude condescending remarks are not appreciated or in the right forum.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2009, 6:50:11 AM PST
Just Me says:
I completely agree with L. Furrow. I have an 8 year old bookworm and she is already reading a book on my K2. I was thinking when a later upgrade becomes available handing this one down to her. I would love a way to have parental controls.

Posted on Mar 4, 2009, 9:01:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 4, 2009, 9:09:18 AM PST
ZechFamily says:
@Denise Waszak - evidently you're one of the lucky people who received K2s with good contrast. I have a K1 and a K2 and the "contrast" is markedly different between the two - the K2 screen is much darker and the text is much lighter/less bold. It's not as if I'm expecting the screen to be white and look just like paper, as I'm aware many other people are "complaining" about, I just want the reading experience to be as good on the K2 as the K1.
Please don't assume that since you're not experiencing a particular problem that other's concerns are not valid.
Is it possible that people are posting issues on this thread in the hopes that CS will read them and address them?
And if you're particularly bothered by reading so-called complaints and whining, then don't!
Once again, a person complaining about complaining... SSDD

Posted on Mar 4, 2009, 10:03:34 AM PST
SeaLevel274 says:
I don't have a K1 and never saw one, but my expectation is that the reading experience would be better on the K2 which I do have. Isn't the technology supposed to be getting better?

The customer service response on the contrast issue was weak at best.

Posted on Mar 4, 2009, 11:26:59 AM PST
When I received my Kindle 2 last week, I assumed there was a problem with the screen, since it was so much lower contrast than my Kindle 1, and since I could see some ghost images from previous screens, which I never saw with the K1 (I hadn't yet found these forums). I ordered a replacement, which arrived yesterday (before I had sent back the original one), and when I compared the two I was surprised to discover that the second Kindle screen was slightly *worse* than the first, so I'll just return the second one. I did notice, however, that since a week has now elapsed, I am now getting used to the K2 screen, although I find myself reading more often in a larger font than before, which is not as bad as it sounds because more text fits on the screen now.

Since the larger fonts work better, maybe the text issue is really a font rendering problem, and not a blackness issue, per se. This situation reminds me a lot of when Windows switched to anti-aliasing fonts and everything looked worse to me for a couple of weeks until I got used to it. If it really is a font issue, it should be easy to provide a software fix, possibly as a "secret" alt-key combination.

Posted on Mar 4, 2009, 1:24:18 PM PST
I think that the Kindle is pure Magic. It is the most wonderful thing I can imagine. I bought the Patgonia to keep it in, and it works so very well, and I feel like I have a real book in my hands.
Joan

Posted on Mar 4, 2009, 3:26:00 PM PST
MdRunner says:
With regard to the text contrast issue, I don't really have a problem with the screen/text color as is.
That said, portions of text in the book I am currently reading are BOLDED for dramatic emphasis. I have to admit
that I would like the option to bold all of the text at times.
It seems that there might be some way to add this option via a firmware update. It would make alot of
users very happy.
Not a complaint - I really love my kindle2. It's even better than I imagined and I think amazon has
turned out a great product.

Thanks

Posted on Mar 4, 2009, 6:17:43 PM PST
Terracool says:
Seriously? That's their answer to the screen appearance issue? No possible way there are actually dissatisfied people or maybe even bad screens? It's all - all as in 100% - caused by uninformed and ignorant people that don't know what this thing is supposed to look like. Not one actual problem. Not one. Wow.

I can just imagine the dang fight that had to go on at Amazon before THAT little turd-bit got published. Despite my comments above, I don't believe for a minute that that bs got posted because they are genuinely oblivious to this. I bet there was one great bust-up about posting that, and whoever got stuck doing it had to feel like drawing the short straw. Someone upthread is right. They are well aware of the issue, maybe agree it's an issue, have probably had at least a few fist-banging meetings about the issue, and because they either can't or won't fix it they push CS out there to issue some height-of-Russian-propoganda statement.

I feel bad for whoever at Amazon is trying to go to bat for a fix but losing the battle. That has to be one frustrated person or department.

Posted on Mar 4, 2009, 6:42:44 PM PST
Karen G. says:
Hello, I just emailed cs for an answer but has anyone else noticed this. I went 'shopping' for books to add to my new wonderful K2 and found that same titles (one might be missing a very small part in the title) but the exact same book by the exact same author EXCEPT one was a few dollars cheaper. When I downloaded the cheaper one the full title showed up that is how I know it was the same book. Has anyone else noticed this? If someone wants am example that you can see for yourself, respond to this post and I will be happy to go and look up titles that I know of for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2009, 7:24:56 PM PST
Jesslyn H says:
That happens sometimes, but it is the publisher's mistake, not Amazon's from what I understand. If they don't Kindle publish the book correctly, it's on them.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2009, 7:54:18 PM PST
Karen G. says:
Okay thanks for the information Jesslyn. I will have to just keep checking before I purchase in the future. Other than that, I have been very happy with my new K2. I also have a Sony ereader 700 and that one rocks too. I wished they could combine both of them and they would be perfect.

Posted on Mar 4, 2009, 8:13:04 PM PST
Here is the Amazon.com Customer service forum post for 3/4/2009:

Last Page Read
You do not need to power down Kindle 2 between reading sessions, it is best to leave the device in sleep mode. Holding the switch at the top to power the device off is similar to pulling the power cord on your computer without shutting down the Operating System. If you turn the device off while in the middle of the book, the device cannot save that location. We save the location when the device goes into sleep mode or when you leave the book, so if you do need to power the device off then be sure to go to the Home screen first - this will save your last place in the book.

Wireless Signal in Sleep Mode
Kindle's wireless signal uses low power while in sleep mode so that your subscriptions can download overnight. If you are in a low coverage area, this could cause the device to use more battery power as it continually tries to maintain a signal. Unless you are subscribed to periodicals that you want to receive overnight, we recommend turning wireless off (Press the Menu button and select "Turn Wireless Off" of the menu options) before leaving the device in sleep mode. This will further conserve battery power.

iPhone Content
You can download any book purchased from the Kindle Store to your iPhone/iPod Touch. Kindle newspapers, magazines, and blogs are not currently available.

Kindle on iPhone Usage Fees
Amazon.com does not charge any other fees than what is listed on the detail page of the content associated when downloading to your iPhone/iPod Touch.

Posted on Mar 4, 2009, 8:45:03 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 6, 2009, 8:17:00 AM PST]

Posted on Mar 5, 2009, 1:06:01 AM PST
Shaw says:
It sounds like a great product!! I just wish we will have the Kindle2 at this part of the world (Singapore). Even I can buy thru ebay and ship here, i won't be able to make use wireless feature, which i think is essential.
Amazon, please make it available soon for us....

Posted on Mar 5, 2009, 2:24:52 AM PST
I have to concur with Mr. Woodcock's sentiments. To add to that, I think too many parents abdicate their parenting skills and responsibilities to schools, companies and technology. As amazing as it may seem to some adults who gave birth to children, it is possible to raise a child with love and to cultivate your child into a reasonably responsible, trustable human being without having to rely on physical or software barriers to keep them out of "unsafe" places. However, teaching them that they cannot be trusted or that you don't think that they can be responsible doesn't bode well for fostering great relations with them in the long run. It also doesn't bode well for their self-esteem.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2009, 2:35:31 AM PST
Thanks for the backup, Vernon, but it may be true that this is not the appropriate venue. I just vented about a pet peeve of mine; no need to start a big argument. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2009, 8:52:30 AM PST
Karen G. says:
This subject is as individual as the books you choose to read. It was just a simple request probably from a parent that has accidentally stumbled across information that they would never view or want a child to view. Children are very curious but they do NOT have the skills to keep their newfound knowledge off of the school yard or class rooms and that kind of information is best left up to the parents themselves not someone who goes for the 'shock value'.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2009, 10:42:28 AM PST
R. Colley says:
Can you tell me exactly how to delete things that you have in "My Clippings"? I've tried it like the manual says, but I've only been able to get rid of one. I hated to ask because I know it's been asked a million times before, but since there is no way to search the forums and I don't have the time to sit and sift through the hundreds of other pages I thought I'd just cut right to the chase and ask. Thanks for your help.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2009, 11:48:46 AM PST
Rita, per the User's Guide:
"More about My Clippings
You cannot edit the "My Clippings" file from within Kindle, but you can edit the file on your
computer.
To edit the "My Clippings" file:
1. Connect your Kindle to your computer using the USB cable.
2. Your Kindle should appear on your computer in the same location you would normally
find an external USB drive.
3. Open your Kindle. You should see a folder entitled Documents. Transfer the "My
Clippings" file out of this folder.
4. Open the "My Clippings" file on your computer using an application that can read or
import a .txt file.
5. Make the changes and save the edited file.
6. Transfer the "My Clippings" file back to the "Documents" folder on your Kindle.
7. Unmount your Kindle from your computer before removing the USB cable.
Changing your "My Clippings" file does not affect any notes, bookmarks, or highlights you've
made in the actual content. The next time you read the content, you can still use them for
navigation and reference
To remove the "My Clippings" file from your Kindle:
1. Press the Home button and move the 5-way down until "My Clippings" is underlined.
2. Move the 5-way to the left.
3. Press the 5-way to remove "My Clippings" from your Kindle.
Kindle adds a new "My Clippings" file the next time you add a clipping or annotation to any
content."

Posted on Mar 5, 2009, 12:00:04 PM PST
Oceangal says:
Please tell us what the update 2.0.1 was for.

Posted on Mar 5, 2009, 1:36:32 PM PST
Carole says:
I have lost my archives 3 times on kindle 2, once I lost all books that had been downloaded, I called customer service a number of times and was "restored" successfully Monday, only to lose archives and audible books on Tuesday. I can purchase books on Kindle 2 which are supposedly downloaded but not accessible on kindle 2 (I can get them through content manager on kindle 1) my internet connection works, no satisfaction yet, any suggestions?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2009, 2:03:49 PM PST
Carole, when do you "lose" these books? Spontaneously, or when you reboot? Because after rebooting it takes about 30 seconds for Kindle to find all your books again.

If it's spontaneous, then you have a defective unit and should contact CS for a replacement.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2009, 3:21:22 PM PST
Carole says:
I lost everything spontaneously again and they are going to replace it

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2009, 3:30:11 PM PST
Bummer! Sounds like something is wrong with the flash memory.

Posted on Mar 5, 2009, 6:06:57 PM PST
Woody says:
Customer Service: Any chance you could let us know what changes were made in the 2.0.1 update? Thanks.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  697
Total posts:  2023
Initial post:  Feb 23, 2009
Latest post:  Mar 21, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 102 customers