Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Big & Rich GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Announcement

Amazon.com Customer Service

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 201-225 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2009, 2:15:12 AM PST
bani says:
_ALL_ ebook readers that use electrophoretic displays have this issue. it's the nature of the current technology. you're not going to get that chlorine bleached white paper look from any ereader currently on the market.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2009, 2:54:36 AM PST
I am having the same problem. I charged when it arrived 2/25 and today 2/27 it is half depleted. I have use the whispernet only once and keep it on off when I read. Like you I wonder if I have a bad Kindle or if I am doing something wrong

Posted on Feb 28, 2009, 3:28:58 AM PST
If you have a large number of ebooks, it may be indexing them. Give it a week and if the battery life is still a problem contact Amazon.

Posted on Feb 28, 2009, 4:38:22 AM PST
I received my Kindle 2 yesterday and it doesn't work. It powers up OK and is fully charged but there is no wireless signal and it just says 'try later'. I've driven to several locations-same thing-no signal. I will call support as soon as they open today. For now I have a $360 piece of junk. Could not find anything helpful in the manual about what to do.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2009, 5:01:09 AM PST
Denise says:
The wireless service has been overrun with people with their new kindles. I couldn't get on with my K1 last night either-just like when you get a networks are busy message with your cell phone. Call cs if you still have a problem-they will help. But I'd bet it's just busy networks.

Posted on Feb 28, 2009, 10:34:08 AM PST
Kathy S. says:
John B. Diffenderfer--Maybe there is no Whispernet coverage where you live. Are you in a rural area? If this is the problem, you can download your reading material from your "Manage Your Kindle" feature on Amazon using your USB cable. Check your Kindle 2 instructions for more info.

Posted on Feb 28, 2009, 11:21:09 AM PST
SeaLevel274 says:
@Customer Support: Can we get a statement on the different shades of grey (some darker than others) for the Kindle 2 background?

Thanks.

Posted on Feb 28, 2009, 12:45:28 PM PST
Bob says:
Since battery is not replacable, I want to treat it well. I read one post that says recharging every night is best. Others say it is better to let it fully discharge before recharging, as number of discharge/recharge cycles limits battery life. Yet another source told me to avoid running the Kindle fully charged for extended periods. Another said it hurts the battery to run the Kindle with the battery almost fully discharged.

Please advise.

The product is outstanding!

Posted on Feb 28, 2009, 1:28:21 PM PST
My K1 just broke and AMAZING Amazon customer service (thanks Casey!) is going to replace it.

Does anyone know if I will get a K1 or K2? Doesn't matter to me since I love my "Nemo" but I was just wondering...

Posted on Feb 28, 2009, 1:36:59 PM PST
Elmo Glick says:
Has anyone been able to figure out how to get anything into the "Personal Docs" category on the K2? Sure looks like the beta testers were dozing on this one.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2009, 1:41:08 PM PST
I was able to get a personal document onto my K2 by emailing to the appropriate address, but it does not show up under Personal Docs, but rather under books. :-/

Also I tried emailing a PDF to be converted, and I got an email back saying that PDF is not a supported format. ??

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2009, 1:44:28 PM PST
peace says:
Robyn,
I got the same error message, but the pdf document still made it to my Kindle. Weird.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2009, 1:47:28 PM PST
Elmo Glick says:
I wonder if it's too late to get on the beta test team for the K2....

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2009, 1:50:12 PM PST
Mine did not make it. It was a very big file and contains non-Latin characters, so I wasn't sure if it would work anyhow...

Posted on Feb 28, 2009, 2:54:36 PM PST
Beth Adcock says:
I certainly hope that Amazon will clearly identify any publications which have text-to-speech disabled. Any other practice would be patently unfair to purchasers. How would those who are disabled know which books were accessible to them if they weren't identified prior to purchase? Not to mention that any one of us could expect to benefit from being able to continuing to read as we do something else?

I've had vision problems off and on since I was seven. Right now I can read my Kindle just fine. But am I foolish enough not to think that I could have vision problems that could threaten or impair my ability to read again sometime in the future? I'm happy that the Kindle allows me to change the font size. But there could come a time when this wouldn't be sufficient. And I fully expect that Kindle books I buy should be available to me at any time in the future, as promised by Amazon when I purchased the device.

Add to that the fact that in addition to being an avid reader, I'm an avid craftsperson. Text-to-speech allows me to switch back and forth from print to speech at will wherever and whenever in a book I so choose or need to do so, without losing my place. This means that I can continue a good read while using my eyes and hands to pursue other activities. As a result, I'm already reading a lot more. That means I'm buying more books, which shouldn't be threatening to authors or publishers. If text-to-speech is disabled, I'll certainly think twice about buying any book which isn't fully accessible.

So, not only was text-to-speech a selling point for me, but it will also continue to be one.

Posted on Feb 28, 2009, 3:16:45 PM PST
Elmo Glick says:
Perhaps Kindle books will have a new icon associated with each book's description - a pic of a person talking, covered by a Writer's Guild muzzle...

Fair warning: any Kindle book I download that has TTS disabled will be promptly returned for a refund. If enough of us stick together on this, perhaps we can get Amazon to actually think this through, instead of knee-jerk capitulation to ignorant goofballs.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2009, 4:28:19 PM PST
Lorene says:
Please address the dark gray screen issue. Is it something that can be fixed with an update?

Posted on Feb 28, 2009, 4:46:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 28, 2009, 5:08:38 PM PST
@Customer Service: One post says recharging the battery every night is best. Another says let it fully discharge before recharging, as number of discharge/recharge cycles limits battery life. Should we turn off the device when not in use, or just let it sleep? Today I'm running it with USB plugged in, and power light green; don't know if that's healthy.

Can Amazon please give a recommendation for best use of the battery? Or at least advice on what NOT to do?

Posted on Feb 28, 2009, 5:03:22 PM PST
I have received my kindle 2 and I am a member of Audible.com The text to speach is not an audible book, and could not be confused in anyway. I really like the text to speach because it helps me with the pronouncing of words, I have a speach problem and I really like that feature, please do not take it away.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2009, 5:07:31 PM PST
I too have the same problem. but after I charged the kindle the second time for three hours I went to use it and the battery had depleated while charging??? I'm a little worried!

Posted on Feb 28, 2009, 6:52:48 PM PST
Good Evening. This is the Official Amazon.com Customer Service post for 2/28/2009:

Text to Speech Statement
We have absolutely no plans to remove the text-to-speech feature. Text-to-speech will continue to work for newspapers, magazines, blogs, personal documents, and for books - unless the rights holder has disabled the specific book title. We believe most rights holders, usually the publisher or author, will decide to keep text-to-speech enabled.

Kindle Content and Footnotes
Footnotes in books are a feature that Kindle 2 supports, but the actual function of them must be enabled by the individual publishers who provide us their books. They will generally be a clickable "link" in the body of the text that you can select with your 5-way. This will take you to the end of the book where the actual footnotes are listed. Once you've read a particular footnote, hitting the "Back" button on the Kindle 2 will take you back to the last location you were reading within the book.

Kindle 2 and My Clippings
Kindle 2 allows you to add bookmarks, notes, and highlight specific passages in your content. These are saved both within each book as well as in the My Clippings file, listed on your Home screen, and we back up these annotations wirelessly when you connect to Whispernet.
If you want to edit specific notes or marks, you can plug your Kindle 2 into your computer and make the changes on the My Clippings.txt file located in the Documents folder of Kindle 2. If you ever want to delete the whole My Clippings file, highlight it on the Home screen of your device and move the 5-way to the left. This will give you the option to click "Delete." More specific information is listed in Section 3.5 of your User's Guide, Locations 583-90 if you're reading it on the device itself.

Recharging Kindle 2's Battery
With Kindle 2's 25% longer battery life, you can read on a single charge for up to 4 days with wireless on. Turn wireless off and read for up to 2 weeks. If you use the wireless feature frequently, we do recommend keeping the battery at 25% at least. There is no specific need to let the battery drain out before recharging it; many owners do keep their devices plugged in each night, and this does not have any adverse effect on overall battery life.

Posted on Feb 28, 2009, 7:36:39 PM PST
SeaLevel274 says:
@Customer Support: I had asked this in an earlier post - can we get a statement on the different shades of grey (some darker than others) for the Kindle 2 background?

To ask it another way - Should the background look like it does on the product page, or should it be a darker shade of grey which doesn't give the same contrast between the background and the text?

Thanks.

Posted on Mar 1, 2009, 1:38:56 AM PST
ZKat says:
I received my K2 a few days ago. I really like it. I don't have a cover for it yet. I've ordered it and am waiting for it to come before I take "Katie" out with me. My first impression is that it feels different. It is lighter and I like the lay out better. I will know more when the cover is on it. I am a bit confused about the screen not ever turning off. It keeps a screen saver on all the time. Humm. I didn't see this in the directions. I will look again.
I still don't like the idea of the prices of the books being increased. Humbug.

Posted on Mar 1, 2009, 1:45:46 AM PST
The screen saver won't drain any battery. The only think that might happen is that the Kindle will use some battery indexing files for searching and checking the wireless from time to time for updates. If you want to turn it completely off, pull back the power switch and hold for 4-6 seconds.

Posted on Mar 1, 2009, 2:07:31 AM PST
Wispernet - Be aware of non-coverage.
Potential purchasers should be aware that your area may not have wispernet. And I don't mean Alaska and Montana. If you can see a mountain or more than twelve trees from your house you should check. I live less than 25 miles from the main campus of Penn State University and do not have coverage. I have excellent cell phone service. I am very disappointed that wispernet is limited to Sprint only. All I can do is use my computer to get books. The same if I lived in Africa. And there are no free previews. I will probably keep the Kindle, but I certainly would not have spent the money had I known the wireless was useless.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  697
Total posts:  2023
Initial post:  Feb 23, 2009
Latest post:  Mar 21, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 102 customers