Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Price Check
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now

on November 15, 2011
I'm using a myTouch 4G Slide and an A500 Iconia Tablet. I have both the Amazon Mobile app (Amazon Shopping) and the Price Check app installed on my phone but only the Amazon Mobile app on the tablet, for now.

The Price Check app currently mirrors the functionality of the Amazon Mobile App. They seem to be no different and practically identical apart from having the 3 buttons in the GUI and more specifically a dedicated voice button (though you could always search a product through voice in the Amazon Mobile app if you have a keyboard with a voice button anyway, so the functionality is still identical).

Many folks are curious as to why Amazon has released a separate and standalone price checking app. I have a theory.

I suspect the Amazon Mobile app will be changed in a few days to remove camera functionality. The Kindle Fire is being released soon and does not have a camera. That being said, The Kindle Fire's dev. portal states that apps should adhere to relying on the hardware in the Kindle Fire. Amazon's Mobile app currently as it is, would need to access camera hardware to 'scan and snap' products. Amazon would therefore need to either make a separate app for the Kindle Fire or change their own app to not rely on camera functionality. So we end up with a standalone app to replace this functionality for all other devices (with a camera) which is for all intents and purposes functionally a carbon copy of the App we've all been using.

It could also be possible that they simply want the price checking capability to be at the forefront of the app. Some people don't know that the current Amazon Mobile app has this capability built in. Making a separate app would put the focus on this function both through its name as well as it's GUI. In any event, they've killed 2 birds with 1 stone.
Instead of making a new Kindle Fire Amazon app which doesn't rely on the camera, they simply make a new general Android app which does AND shifts the focus toward this functionality, all while being the same old Amazon Mobile app.

Either way, you can do everything on the Amazon Mobile app that you can in the Price Check by Amazon app and vice versa as of 11/15/2011. This may change. You really don't need both right now though you may want to keep the Price Check app on your Android device vs. the Amazon Mobile app (as I mentioned, I suspect it will be changed to remove these functions soon).

To those users reporting incorrect scans, etc. Try scanning a few times. Phone cameras are of different quality; every scan may not be a perfect scan especially when it comes to sub par camera performance.
Every scan I've made has returned the correct product information so I don't think the app is to blame.
on December 3, 2011
This is a great idea, but the app doesn't give you the same number of results when scanning or taking pictures. I use the original Amazon app and type or speak it in if I want more results .
on November 15, 2011
The app appears functional and works well on my HTC Inspire 4g. I do, however, seriously question this as a standalone app as opposed to just placing it's functionality in the Amazon shopping app. If they insist on it being stand-alone, it should at least communicate with the other Amazon apps. Having to enter my username and password every time in every one of their apps is tiresome. Let me save my password, or better yet, give a mobile only pin like paypal.
11 comment| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 28, 2012
The app seems useful and will work with some photos, however on my phone (LG Optimus V) the scanner remains black and will not scan.
The original scanner also does not work any longer and I replaced it with another brand app scanner which works.
This app needs a bug fix to get the scanner working on this phone and the app may be useful than.
on August 5, 2012
Would be super great if it worked with my Optimus V, but it don't. It installs and looks like it will work but when you go to scan barcode, there is a black screen. The app is still running but looks like there is no camera connection. It shows the green box and red line like normal but on black screen. The same thing happens on Amazon Student app. and Amazon Mobile app. - All show black screens when try to scan barcodes. Don't get me wrong, I love the app when it worked on my other phone, but I just got a new Optimus V and what do I have to do to get it to work. I don't want to go buy another phone. I know it isn't my phone cause I use other scanner apps and they all work fine. The problem seems to be on amazon apps that scan barcodes. I haven't had any problems with other apps, just amazons. This is the reason for one star, If fixed, I would rate 5 star, if it worked properly.
on October 22, 2012
I have had price check for about 30 days. I find it to be fairly helpful but doesn't always have the products I want to compare and only about 50% of the time do I get helpful information. It wants me to work at it by entering prices and places and I am not in the retail business and get nothing in return for doing its job. I find simply checking amazon directly is much better and more effecient. However since it is a free app it is at least worth the download and attempts. I bet it will get much better over time as it expands.If it added a reward for having the shoper enter and give the data I would be more willing to take the time to enter the prices of items that it doesn't have or wants to compare. DRF
on September 18, 2013
The app itself works perfectly - I have used it when shopping several times to compare prices.

However, minus one star because Amazon chooses to limit its availability. I had this installed on my old phone from Google Play, and never had a problem. When I upgraded to the HTC One, on that app store this app showed as not compatible with my device. Fortunately I looked on Amazon's App Store, and from here it installed with no problems and has worked perfectly so far. Unfortunately, It gives the impression (right or wrong) that Amazon is crippling availability in other distribution channels in order to increase traffic to its own app store.
on March 15, 2012
I recently downloaded and used this app while shopping for a Battery Back-up Unit for my home computer. I was in a big retailer and had a wide variety of choices. I started scanning some options and reading reviews, which helped me make my choice. I also used it to see if I could get a cell phone accessory cheaper on Amazon and I could... Saved $5 on that item.

I would recommend this app and will be using it again in the future.
on October 29, 2013
This has been one of my most frequently used apps. I use it to compare in-store prices with Amazon, thrift store prices on new and used items, as well as prices on used books and other things I want to sell on-line. It is easiest to use if an item has a bar code, but typing in the name also works well. I haven't had as much luck with the photograph option; it works best for books in their original book jackets/covers. Haven't really tried the speak it option, so I can't comment on that. All-in-all, an extremely useful and easy to use app. I highly recommend it.
I am surprised by how often I use this app. It is essentially a subset of the functionality that the Amazon app provides. However this differs in the focus on identifying products in a single step, and then getting a list of comparative prices. The pricing is for the same item (if found in Amazon's product database) that is being sold by Amazon or one of its third party sellers. This is NOT a price aggregator like some shopping sites that show up in web searches. If Amazon doesn't carry it the item will not show up.

What I especially love and why I use it often is the simple user interface and the speed in which it returns results when I scan a bar code or speak the product name. I have had spotty results with the photo function, but that is more a reflection of my poor photography skills and/or the fact that products on shelves are in their packaging and are not as easily recognized by the app.

You can drill down to each product that the app returns from your queries, including reading reviews and other functions that the main Amazon app for Android gives. I usually do not go that far. My goal is usually to see if I am getting a good price when I am shopping at discount and outlet stores. You'd be surprised by how many times Amazon beats their prices. Sometimes the price differences are significant, so this app has saved me more than a few bucks.

For the record this will not load on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 running Jelly Bean 4.2.2, but worked on both my Galaxy Note II and Note 3 phones running 4.3. I think the issue with the tablet is it will only work on phones, which makes sense since most folks go shopping with their phone in their pocket and not a tablet.