Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Sigma DP1 14MP Digital Camera forum

Amazon dropped the ball on Sigma DP1 pre-orders

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 26, 2008, 11:01:55 AM PDT
Kon Peki says:
They waited until the day after the estimated ship date to inform us that they didn't have the stock. To make matters worse, they filled some of the orders but not in the order that they were received. Some people who pre-ordered in March got their DP1 even though others who pre-ordered in February did not (and this was true even for some who had not altered their order in any way, eg shipping method). Most of us who pre-ordered got an email today asking for "approval" to change the date to May-June. Meanwhile, those who went with B&H, Canoga, or Adorama have their DP1 in hand. I will continue to recommend Amazon for photography equipment, but they don't have a good system for handling pre-orders.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2008, 11:19:06 AM PDT
dac7442 says:
I pretty much agree. Amazon's been good in the past but but has some serious issues when dealing with pre-orders.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2008, 12:47:56 PM PDT
I think that Amazon was promised the DP-1 cameras from Sigma in the numbers that they sold and SIGMA simply failed again to deliver! Amazon has a great record for delivering on time, SIGMA's RECORD IS THE WORST!

Think what you want but if Sigma had delivered the cameras, as promised, Amazon would have sold them!

You "fanboys" need to put the blame on your Sigma and not Amazon!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2008, 1:27:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 26, 2008, 1:28:16 PM PDT
Kon Peki says:
The fact is, Greg, you have no idea what Sigma told Amazon. I agree that it is likely that Sigma shares responsibility, but we simply don't know for sure. These are the known facts: Amazon is the one that didn't update us on our status until after the day after the expected ship date, when other resellers were out of stock. Amazon is the one that filled orders out of sequence. You are on some sort of bizarre anti-Sigma crusade (posting the same thing seven times in a single discussion thread at DPreview and 11 times including other threads) and ought to pull yourself together. I won't even address the "fanboy" comment.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2008, 2:49:43 PM PDT
dac7442 says:
Fact: My order placed on Feb 6th got bumped.
Fact: Orders placed in late Feb and March were fulfilled.
Fact: Sigma does not choose the order in which Amazon fills pre-orders.
Fact: Amazon did not fill pre-orders in the order they were received.

So much for being a Sigma Fanboy.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2008, 7:29:01 PM PDT
Bob Lewellen says:
Yes. This might have been much better handled. My call to Amazon just days before was answered with assurances of the delivery of my very early pre-order. In fact, the extra batteries for the DP1, not due for 2 months, have already been shipped to me! Some better following of order dates and special prices would have helped.

Otherwise, I love shopping here, do it often, am an Amazon Prime customer and typically look here first for many things I am seeking. Your quick call service is second to none so this area could afford a look. I had to buy the camera elsewhere.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2008, 7:08:47 AM PDT
James says:
Amin - I have to agree. I now have *2* complaints about Amazon.com. First, I placed my order on February 15th, with Super Saver Shipping. The Ship Date was set at March 31st. All the way until March 31st, I had absolutely no communications or indications that anything was wrong with my order. Today, I get an email saying that they can't find any cameras for me, and would like me to authorize keeping the order open. So I got stiffed in the delivery also. If it helps, I'm in Southern California so perhaps one of the warehouses near me is the one that ran out.

My second complaint is that I called Amazon via the "Call Me" button. I got connected to an Amazon Customer Service agent immediately, who spoke with a very heavy accent that I assumed was Indian. I told her that I would like to inquire why my order was not processed ahead of those who ordered later, and she insisted that it was "impossible". Clearly, honesty is not the strong suit of Amazon's customer service agents. I asked her to file a complaint about this process, however I'm not confident she understood what my gripe was about, since she repeated that she had no cameras to send, which I do get.

Anyway, it's clear to me that Amazon does not know how to do more than basic service when it comes to delivering products. I will continue to use them in the future, but only for cases where it does not really matter whether or not I get the product. For situations where it is important, I think it is wise to shop elsewhere.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2008, 11:35:21 AM PDT
James says:
Have you received your camera yet? Just curious, since I've got a Feb 15th order and I haven't received anything yet either.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2008, 2:20:05 PM PDT
RayTom says:
My order was placed Feb 9th with delivery stated as March 27th.

Everything else I ordered for the camera -- the AC adapter, External Flash, Lens Hood, Extra Battery, and External Finder -- shipped promptly. They are all sitting (forlornly) by my desk, waiting for a camera to attach them to.

I wonder if a great number of the initial batch of cameras were held back by Sigma because of the "Green Vignette" issue; this might explain why the cameras are so hard to obtain?

Sigma and Amazon -- if you're listening -- when you don't give people information they assume the worst. It's far better to give people a true assessment of the situation than to leave them hanging. After the initial 12+ month delay of this product, I have to say I will be very unlikely to order anything made by Sigma again. This kind of thing leaves a bad taste in one's mouth, and this camera will have to be genuinely spectacular to overcome the bad PR Sigma has created for it...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2008, 11:05:14 PM PDT
Camera Guy says:
Strangely, I placed my order on 2/11 and initially received a notice that shipment would be delayed until "May-June" (this was on the day after the original ship date)... then, surprisingly, I received the DP1 on Wednesday ...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2008, 11:36:23 AM PDT
Kon Peki says:
I cancelled mine and bought elsewhere. I also cancelled my Amazon pre-order for another camera. I like Amazon, but I won't pre-order camera gear here again.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Mar 26, 2008
Latest post:  Apr 8, 2008

This discussion is about