Spring Deals Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Fire TV Stick: $29.99. Offer ends 3/26/18 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now TG18PP_gno

AmazonBasics 16-Gauge Speaker Wire - 100 Feet
Configuration: 16-Gauge Speaker Wire|Change

This is exactly what it is supposed to be-- low cost, consumer grade speaker wire.

We use this to connect our 15-year-old consumer-grade amplifier to our old consumer-grade speakers, to play music and movie sound-tracks streamed over the internet at whatever bit-rate our connection happens to support at the moment. The speakers are placed on whatever flat surface we can find, in whatever arrangement gives us some semblance of stereo and "surround", in a living room where "acoustics" take a back seat to "not having things fall on our heads."

The impedance-matching to the speakers, the cable's power loss, the frequency response, are all 2nd-order optimizations where we are just looking for the first approximation. We just want durable cable that will not break easily if pulled or set-upon, that will not short the amplifier with ordinary use, and whose performance is no worse than the other aspects of our setup. We understand the difference between copper and copper-clad aluminum, and the impact of wire gague on signal fidelity. We have our own multi-meters, oscilliscopes and RMS power meters, and we just don't care.

If you're an audiophile, odds are you are not even sniffing the Amazon Basics, much less reading this review. You are not researching whether this cable will let you hear the timpanist's heartbeat during the 2nd movement of Beethoven's 9th, even though audiophiles claim it can be done. You are too busy putting anti-reflective coating the edges of your CDs and putting your amplifiers on tiny little conical feet. You buy artisan crafted, hand-pulled pure copper cable extracted from sustainable mines by free-range miners, encased in fair-trade gold-foil RF shielding and wrapped with organic cotton-fiber sheath dyed in native traditional patterns.

This cable is not excellent, but it is all the cable we need.
1818 comments| 336 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 3, 2014
This is Copper Clad aluminum, not real Copper, and it doesn't clearly state that anywhere. This is cheap knock-off wire, and no one spending any real money on A/V should buy it.
2424 comments| 135 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 29, 2013
Sure, it's copper clad aluminum (even if it doesn't say so anywhere, when you cut it you'll see). I won't argue against pure copper technically being better, even if you probably can't hear the difference anyway. That said, this is decent wire in a decent sized 16 gauge. It's more than beefy enough for most people and best of all, cheap. This isn't some puny supplied speaker wire you'd find in some HTIB sets. I went for the 100 feet to wire a 5 speaker system in a large apartment living room and I'm glad I did. Giving each speaker some extra slack for future placement I used every bit of that 100 feet. When I get two more speakers to get full use of my 7.2 channel receiver I'll have to pick up another 50 feet. One side is marked with a white stripe to tell polarity apart. I'm very happy with all aspects of this wire.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
44 comments| 113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 10, 2014
It's a great price for wire. Easy to cut, easy to strip. For the cost, it's a great buy. Used this to wire up my entire surround sound system.

I will most likely order even more to rewire my Jeep as well, since that will beat the extremely small stock wiring it has.

The only downside, which is why I gave it 4 stars, is because they use a white stripe to show positive or negative. I really wish speaker companies would quit with that and go with a black line (same cost, different color) so that it's easier to see in low light areas. If it was a black insulator and white stripe, it'd make since. But it's clear. It should be something other than white.
on February 25, 2015
The heating unit of my apartment melted the cables which came with my Logitech Z-5500 so I had to buy some cheap replacement cables. Does the cable quality affect the sound? Most likely.. Will I hear the difference between these and other more expensive cables? maybe, bust most likely not..

100 feet of speaker wire for under $10. Need I say more?

Actually, I wanted to mention that I like the thickness, and therefore the protection & insulation (maybe?), of the cables. However, due to the thickness, it's hard to hide them. Also, it's harder to "mold" the wires into a straight line. Minor setback, if you ask me.
on April 5, 2013
Looking through amazon it's near impossible to find decent speaker wire. Most people use the wrong guage anyways. If you are looking for speaker wire and you are not going to listen to 1000 amps, this is the wire for you.

If you are a real audiophile and your system costs $20,000, then get something else. Everyone else, get this. The audio you hear coming out of your speakers is created from a chain starting from the artists voice, through the mic, through the soundboard, blah blah blah until it makes it to you. All of these links in the chain is a compromise of quality. The point is by the time it reaches you, this 16 AWG amazon basics wire is not going to be the weakest link in the chain so don't over think it and try to buy 12 AWG OFC.
on January 29, 2016
I read about the study where all these experts were called in to listen to various expensive and "oxygen-free", etc, etc high end speaker wires with a selector, and one wire was regular old electrical cord. Of course the high end ones got great expressive reviews, and the cord got horrible ones. What they didn't know was that they were listening to the cord the whole time, and it was their confirmation bias that was doing the reviewing.

One thing I can confirm is that this wire is half the price of half the length of Radio Shack wire, and I love getting good value for my money. My speakers would sound just as good on other wire, but this one didn't break the bank.
on June 20, 2015
A fine product. The shielding sleeve is a little thin but functional. Comparing this to other wire I had to purchase to complete the job, the copper seemed to be a little thinner/cheaper, too - it would fray easier and also some of it would inevitably get cut off when stripping it and I didn't have this problem with the other brand I used. But, hey, for the price it gets the job done. I also would have liked to see it in a 150 ft roll but I can't knock the product for that.
on May 30, 2014
When I got my previous speakers I just used the wire that came with them. However, buying a set of new Polk speakers I wanted to make sure the sound was very good. The old wire was 20 or 22 gauge and barely had 2 or 3 skinny strands of copper left. I used about 45' and my son is going to rewire his speakers too (50 & 100' of speaker wire were about the same price. Like anything a product is only as good as it's weakest link. At less than $10 wire should not be a skimping place...shu
on February 3, 2014
The no-frills packaging speaker wire is perfect for my installation. The 16-gauge wire is just small enough to fit in most speaker/receiver clamps, and the jacket is very sturdy. I have several runs with this wire, the longest at about 50 feet, and the shortest at about 5 feet. The longer runs actually run under the house (off the ground). There are no problems with the sound quality. The spool is a little cheap, but as long as you don't slam it around, it should hold for at least one installation.