Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Garnet Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon harrypotter harrypotter harrypotter  Three new members of the Echo family Today only: Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

AmazonBasics 16-Gauge Speaker Wire - 100 Feet
Configuration: 16-Gauge Speaker Wire|Change

This is exactly what it is supposed to be-- low cost, consumer grade speaker wire.

We use this to connect our 15-year-old consumer-grade amplifier to our old consumer-grade speakers, to play music and movie sound-tracks streamed over the internet at whatever bit-rate our connection happens to support at the moment. The speakers are placed on whatever flat surface we can find, in whatever arrangement gives us some semblance of stereo and "surround", in a living room where "acoustics" take a back seat to "not having things fall on our heads."

The impedance-matching to the speakers, the cable's power loss, the frequency response, are all 2nd-order optimizations where we are just looking for the first approximation. We just want durable cable that will not break easily if pulled or set-upon, that will not short the amplifier with ordinary use, and whose performance is no worse than the other aspects of our setup. We understand the difference between copper and copper-clad aluminum, and the impact of wire gague on signal fidelity. We have our own multi-meters, oscilliscopes and RMS power meters, and we just don't care.

If you're an audiophile, odds are you are not even sniffing the Amazon Basics, much less reading this review. You are not researching whether this cable will let you hear the timpanist's heartbeat during the 2nd movement of Beethoven's 9th, even though audiophiles claim it can be done. You are too busy putting anti-reflective coating the edges of your CDs and putting your amplifiers on tiny little conical feet. You buy artisan crafted, hand-pulled pure copper cable extracted from sustainable mines by free-range miners, encased in fair-trade gold-foil RF shielding and wrapped with organic cotton-fiber sheath dyed in native traditional patterns.

This cable is not excellent, but it is all the cable we need.
1818 comments| 298 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 8, 2018
This is just cheap speaker cable right? Well yes and no. Yes it's cheap, but it's not low quality. It's nice and flexible compared to a lot of the cheap stuff out there. I used this for over a year in my wall and crawlspace to run my 5 speakers for my TV setup. I recently replaced the whole thing with some Sonos speakers that don't need speaker wire otherwise I'd still be happily using this.
on June 1, 2016
I just recently installed eight ceiling speakers with volume switches and used almost 700 feet of this. It worked great and performs well. I had no fraying issues and the plastic coating strips perfect every time. Soldering was a breeze as well. Great value. Thanks Amazon!
My one complaint is that it is a see through plastic coating with one side marked with a white line to tell positive from negative. The issue I had is that occasionally the white line was almost invisible and very hard to see. This happened on several occasions over the 700' I used.
on April 26, 2017
Bundled this when I bought a Yamaha YHT-4920UBL 5.1-Channel Home Theater in a Box. Much higher quality than the included speaker wire. 100 ft is more than enough to get creative with your wiring and have tons to spare. Sound quality has been spot on.
on February 17, 2015
Amazon Basics series are great alternative to other brand name products because of its high quality for a lower price.

I enjoy watching movies at home through blu-ray and Netflix, so I have a decent sound system.
If you like to have a good sound, having a good speaker wire is also important.

That is why at first, I was hesitant to buy this AmazonBasics speaker wire because I was not sure whether it would be up to the quality of other wires. However, I thought what the heck, let's give it a try.

When I received this wire, the first thing I did was to cut off the end and opened up the wire. Once I did that, I was surprised that the wiring was not done cheaply.

Let's be honest and face it: the technology behind basic speaker wiring has not changed for a very long time. Then why pay more for the same technology? I definitely recommend buying these wires over higher priced wires and with the savings, invest in the banana plugs instead - this would make a bigger difference than you would expect.
on January 4, 2018
01-04-18 RECEIVED
AMAZON BASIC 16AWG SPEAKER WIRES 100 FT. COPPER CLAD ALUMINUM CCA
IT CAME IN THE BOX WRAPPED WITH CLEAR PLASTIC KEEP THE WIRES IN PLACE .
THE CLEAR FLEXIBLE SLEEVES HAVE BLACK STRIPE FOR NEG. OR POS. ASSIGNED
16AWG ARE GOOD ENOUGH FOR HOME HOBBY ELECTRICAL WIRE CONNECTOR FROM ALLIGATOR CLIPS TO
BANANA 4MM AND TX60 OR TX-90
on January 19, 2017
Good basic speaker wire. Glad I did not spend more on oxygen free copper. Copper clad aluminum core works great for 99.99% of the population including most audiophiles.
on July 7, 2017
This is the best speaker wire you are gonna get @ this price point!! It's real 16 gauge wire, NOT over insulated wire to make up for lack of wire some others try to sell. I have Cadence, Monster etc and this beats them all. I wire a lot of high end amps and subwoofers etc, and need good wire. This is half the price of any other wire that is true gauge like this!
on May 11, 2016
You are buying something literally marketed as "AmazonBasics." If you want high-end speaker wire then by all means spend ridiculous money on tech specs only a precious understand or can recognize. If you just want wire that can carry sound from A to B then save the coin and buy this stuff. It works great! Only drawback, and this isn't even worth losing a star over, is that it can be SLIGHTLY difficult to see the marking differentiating positive and negative in low light. But hey, Amazon sells flashlights as well.
on April 10, 2017
This stuff is awesome. I had no problems with it and it seemed like it was of a good quality.
One side is clearly marked.
I could easily split the two wires by hand.
Sheath would slide off cleanly when stripped.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.