Bubble Witch Saga 3 Vehicles Review HPC Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18_gno

AmazonBasics 16-Gauge Speaker Wire - 100 Feet
Configuration: 16-Gauge Speaker Wire|Change

This is exactly what it is supposed to be-- low cost, consumer grade speaker wire.

We use this to connect our 15-year-old consumer-grade amplifier to our old consumer-grade speakers, to play music and movie sound-tracks streamed over the internet at whatever bit-rate our connection happens to support at the moment. The speakers are placed on whatever flat surface we can find, in whatever arrangement gives us some semblance of stereo and "surround", in a living room where "acoustics" take a back seat to "not having things fall on our heads."

The impedance-matching to the speakers, the cable's power loss, the frequency response, are all 2nd-order optimizations where we are just looking for the first approximation. We just want durable cable that will not break easily if pulled or set-upon, that will not short the amplifier with ordinary use, and whose performance is no worse than the other aspects of our setup. We understand the difference between copper and copper-clad aluminum, and the impact of wire gague on signal fidelity. We have our own multi-meters, oscilliscopes and RMS power meters, and we just don't care.

If you're an audiophile, odds are you are not even sniffing the Amazon Basics, much less reading this review. You are not researching whether this cable will let you hear the timpanist's heartbeat during the 2nd movement of Beethoven's 9th, even though audiophiles claim it can be done. You are too busy putting anti-reflective coating the edges of your CDs and putting your amplifiers on tiny little conical feet. You buy artisan crafted, hand-pulled pure copper cable extracted from sustainable mines by free-range miners, encased in fair-trade gold-foil RF shielding and wrapped with organic cotton-fiber sheath dyed in native traditional patterns.

This cable is not excellent, but it is all the cable we need.
1818 comments| 311 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 4, 2015
Good wire, good price, used for outdoor speakers which sound great. Empty spool made great dog toy!
review image
0Comment| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 1, 2016
Update with photos -- they sound awesome with the Yamaha receiver + optical cable. Surround sound on fleek. Lol
review imagereview image
on November 30, 2015
Good quality speaker wire. And good packaging. The reason that is doesn't get 5 stars is 1) the wire does not have a marking to identify which side is positive (i.e. a strip on one side). 2) No printed foot / meter indicators on insulation. Both of these could be easily addressed.

The packaging is just right. See photos for tips.
review imagereview imagereview image
11 comment| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 4, 2016
I find myself a bit surprised that I gravitate towards a brand name with "basic" in it. But as with all the other AmazonBasics products I have purchased, I am continuing to find good quality products at good prices.
After picking up a new receiver I decided to stick with my original speakers and instead of trying to reuse the old wires from a different house I figured I would do a clean install with new wire. I was quite happy to see an AmazonBasics brand of wire.

I cannot claim to have a trained ear, nor do I have audiophile level equipment, but for my mid-range Yamaha receiver and speakers I can tell zero difference between this wire and Monster branded wire. My only caution, would encourage you to measure before you buy. I did not and figured 50 Feet would be enough and got the 100 foot roll just to have spare wire, and ended up using a majority of the 100 feet of wire.

As with other AmazonBasics products I am finding them to be solid, quality products priced less than the low quality products.
on January 4, 2018
01-04-18 RECEIVED
AMAZON BASIC 16AWG SPEAKER WIRES 100 FT. COPPER CLAD ALUMINUM CCA
IT CAME IN THE BOX WRAPPED WITH CLEAR PLASTIC KEEP THE WIRES IN PLACE .
THE CLEAR FLEXIBLE SLEEVES HAVE BLACK STRIPE FOR NEG. OR POS. ASSIGNED
16AWG ARE GOOD ENOUGH FOR HOME HOBBY ELECTRICAL WIRE CONNECTOR FROM ALLIGATOR CLIPS TO
BANANA 4MM AND TX60 OR TX-90
on December 23, 2017
i've tried several gauges down to 12, and all copper versus copper clad aluminum and this one is the winner because it is the easiest to use with banana plugs--i have no runs over about eight feet and volume is achieved with multi array rather than tasking individual set(s) of speakers--i'm using eight receivers with about 35 speakers (almost one hundred drivers) for fm classical reception--Crazy? YES, but marvelous!
on January 8, 2018
This is just cheap speaker cable right? Well yes and no. Yes it's cheap, but it's not low quality. It's nice and flexible compared to a lot of the cheap stuff out there. I used this for over a year in my wall and crawlspace to run my 5 speakers for my TV setup. I recently replaced the whole thing with some Sonos speakers that don't need speaker wire otherwise I'd still be happily using this.
on September 23, 2014
Those who have money to burn can waste it on those monstrosities of cables, if you know what I mean... others will just use whatever works. In a pinch I even used ordinary discarded lamp power cord as my speaker cable (cut of the ends first). Later, when I got tired of confusing white power cords with identical looking speaker cables, I bought this spool. It works just fine. Bottom line: don't worry about sound quality due to speaker cables. They all work, provided they are the right gauge.
Your interconnects have more influence, your amp has almost no influence (they all sound good), and your speakers are where all the magic happens these days.
If you happen to be a clueless beginner, the golden rule of thumb is - buy Tannoy speakers (just don't buy the cheapest), and there ya go. The rest of your system, including speaker wire, can be virtually anything.
on December 31, 2016
I ordered this wire not having high expectations based on how much you get and how cheap it is. When I opened the package I was very impressed, it is great wire. It was 36 degrees in my shop when I started using the wire and it was still very flexible. Polarity is easy to tell, there is a very defined black stripe on one side. I would highly recommend this for a high end system to run mids powered by an amp. It's way more than what I expected for my low power boat speakers.