Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services animestrike animestrike animestrike  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon

Style: Speaker Wire|Length: 100 Feet/30.5 Meters|Change

Showing 1-10 of 2,780 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,991 reviews
on November 16, 2015
This is exactly what it is supposed to be-- low cost, consumer grade speaker wire.

We use this to connect our 15-year-old consumer-grade amplifier to our old consumer-grade speakers, to play music and movie sound-tracks streamed over the internet at whatever bit-rate our connection happens to support at the moment. The speakers are placed on whatever flat surface we can find, in whatever arrangement gives us some semblance of stereo and "surround", in a living room where "acoustics" take a back seat to "not having things fall on our heads."

The impedance-matching to the speakers, the cable's power loss, the frequency response, are all 2nd-order optimizations where we are just looking for the first approximation. We just want durable cable that will not break easily if pulled or set-upon, that will not short the amplifier with ordinary use, and whose performance is no worse than the other aspects of our setup. We understand the difference between copper and copper-clad aluminum, and the impact of wire gague on signal fidelity. We have our own multi-meters, oscilliscopes and RMS power meters, and we just don't care.

If you're an audiophile, odds are you are not even sniffing the Amazon Basics, much less reading this review. You are not researching whether this cable will let you hear the timpanist's heartbeat during the 2nd movement of Beethoven's 9th, even though audiophiles claim it can be done. You are too busy putting anti-reflective coating the edges of your CDs and putting your amplifiers on tiny little conical feet. You buy artisan crafted, hand-pulled pure copper cable extracted from sustainable mines by free-range miners, encased in fair-trade gold-foil RF shielding and wrapped with organic cotton-fiber sheath dyed in native traditional patterns.

This cable is not excellent, but it is all the cable we need.
1515 comments| 115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 21, 2016
I give five stars because it is a good product for what it is: copper-clad aluminum wire. Suitable for my needs, which are modest: speakers living right next to the output in a good home-theatre style sound system (which I have not set up to its full extent, mea culpa). Oxygen-free copper is widely considered best for high-end audiophile applications, but see many reviews that dismiss this idea. Unless you are a hard-core audiophile and find CCA blasphemous, this wire will work just fine, and probably better than what is already in your system.
on October 4, 2015
Good wire, good price, used for outdoor speakers which sound great. Empty spool made great dog toy!
on February 21, 2017
I purchased this cable to be able to hook up my receiver to the in-wall speaker box.

I used banana clips and this cable fit perfect for my application.

The only thing to consider is if your receiver or speakers use spring clips then be cautious of the gauge wire you use. The gauge I purchased (16 gauge) was just slightly too big for the back of my receiver so I needed to crimp it a bit to compress the copper after trimming to length.

I've had this installed for approximately two years and There have not been any issues. No tarnishing of the copper and the speaker wire covering has not cracked or split.

Other then that I'm very happy with my purchase and feel this is a hard deal to pass up at this price range.
on December 14, 2016
Quite flexible and the wire does not have the annoying curling after unpacked from the spool.

The quality is fine. It is CCA wire but as long as the total impedance of the wiring is fine, it really does't matter. In my setup, I run 30 ft of these wires for my surround side speakers and does not notice any obvious difference comparing to my previous setup using 30 ft of 12AWG pure copper wires. I did use 14AWG pure copper wire for my 50 ft away surround rears.

Following is the link to an article about the measured impedance of AmazonBasic CCA wires, together with several other CCA choices:
[...]

Highlighted measurements:
AmazonBasics: 0.5977 Ohm per 100 feet
Mediabridge: 0.6025 Ohm per 100 feet
RCA: 0.5862 Ohm per 100 feet

For reference, 16 AWG pure copper speaker wire has resistance of about 0.4094 per 100 feet.

So, if you are using 8 Ohm speakers, these AmazonBasics 16AWG CCA wires should satisfy most of your needs. Would recommend.
on June 2, 2015
Seems like your standard speaker zip wire that has very decent quality for the price. No complaints at all. If you need some standard wire for hooking up speakers, this will work for you. If you are an Audiophile, this may not be your wire, but for the rest, it's very good hook-up wire. It's roughly 16 gauge and has good polarity marking so you can easily identify plus and minus for terminals. This makes it very acceptable for standard use, and that's what I'm using it for. The wire should also work well for commercial apps like clubs and auditoriums. I personally think the quality will stand up to light commercial use. The quality is good and the price is right, so it's a decent deal with prime.
on March 26, 2015
Excellent price for high quality speaker wire. 1/4" thick. Heavy duty. I'm using for an outside stereo system and works great.
on November 30, 2015
Good quality speaker wire. And good packaging. The reason that is doesn't get 5 stars is 1) the wire does not have a marking to identify which side is positive (i.e. a strip on one side). 2) No printed foot / meter indicators on insulation. Both of these could be easily addressed.

The packaging is just right. See photos for tips.
review image review image review image
on July 21, 2016
At first, I thought there were no markings on this wire to keep track if the polarity. Close inspection showed a very faint white stripe! I took a photo just to prove it to myself. Aside from reminding me that I may need better glasses, I really do like the quality and the price!
review image review image
on April 4, 2017
Works perfectly which I expected. I'm glad I ordered 100 feet as my surround sound installation and used almost all of it. I expected just 50 feet would do the job, especially in a smallish room. But after running wire to 5 speakers under a rug and up walls, only a few feet remained. The wire that came with the system was thin, and while it would have worked, the heavier gauge maximizes the system's operation. This only confirmed my experience that's it's way better to overestimate how much you'll need. Happy with purchase.