Spring Deals Automotive Best Books of the Month Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Only: $44.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

AmazonBasics 16-Gauge Speaker Wire - 100 Feet
Configuration: 16-Gauge Speaker Wire|Change

This is exactly what it is supposed to be-- low cost, consumer grade speaker wire.

We use this to connect our 15-year-old consumer-grade amplifier to our old consumer-grade speakers, to play music and movie sound-tracks streamed over the internet at whatever bit-rate our connection happens to support at the moment. The speakers are placed on whatever flat surface we can find, in whatever arrangement gives us some semblance of stereo and "surround", in a living room where "acoustics" take a back seat to "not having things fall on our heads."

The impedance-matching to the speakers, the cable's power loss, the frequency response, are all 2nd-order optimizations where we are just looking for the first approximation. We just want durable cable that will not break easily if pulled or set-upon, that will not short the amplifier with ordinary use, and whose performance is no worse than the other aspects of our setup. We understand the difference between copper and copper-clad aluminum, and the impact of wire gague on signal fidelity. We have our own multi-meters, oscilliscopes and RMS power meters, and we just don't care.

If you're an audiophile, odds are you are not even sniffing the Amazon Basics, much less reading this review. You are not researching whether this cable will let you hear the timpanist's heartbeat during the 2nd movement of Beethoven's 9th, even though audiophiles claim it can be done. You are too busy putting anti-reflective coating the edges of your CDs and putting your amplifiers on tiny little conical feet. You buy artisan crafted, hand-pulled pure copper cable extracted from sustainable mines by free-range miners, encased in fair-trade gold-foil RF shielding and wrapped with organic cotton-fiber sheath dyed in native traditional patterns.

This cable is not excellent, but it is all the cable we need.
1818 comments| 332 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 4, 2015
Good wire, good price, used for outdoor speakers which sound great. Empty spool made great dog toy!
review image
0Comment| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 1, 2016
Update with photos -- they sound awesome with the Yamaha receiver + optical cable. Surround sound on fleek. Lol
review imagereview image
on February 4, 2016
I find myself a bit surprised that I gravitate towards a brand name with "basic" in it. But as with all the other AmazonBasics products I have purchased, I am continuing to find good quality products at good prices.
After picking up a new receiver I decided to stick with my original speakers and instead of trying to reuse the old wires from a different house I figured I would do a clean install with new wire. I was quite happy to see an AmazonBasics brand of wire.

I cannot claim to have a trained ear, nor do I have audiophile level equipment, but for my mid-range Yamaha receiver and speakers I can tell zero difference between this wire and Monster branded wire. My only caution, would encourage you to measure before you buy. I did not and figured 50 Feet would be enough and got the 100 foot roll just to have spare wire, and ended up using a majority of the 100 feet of wire.

As with other AmazonBasics products I am finding them to be solid, quality products priced less than the low quality products.
on January 25, 2017
This is not your typical thin, cheap speaker wire. The stranded copper wire is surprisingly thick. Plus, the plastic covering is also quite thick. To me, it looks more like 14 gauge wire. There is a white line on one of the two wires so that you can distinguish positive from negative. I can barely see the white line because it is very faint. But at least it's there. I was thinking of buying the 14 gauge wire instead of this one. I'm glad I didn't because the 14 gauge would probably be very thick and "more than I really need". If you want to spend hundreds of dollars on audio cables, go right ahead. This 16 gauge wire will work just fine those of us who have common sense.
on November 30, 2015
Good quality speaker wire. And good packaging. The reason that is doesn't get 5 stars is 1) the wire does not have a marking to identify which side is positive (i.e. a strip on one side). 2) No printed foot / meter indicators on insulation. Both of these could be easily addressed.

The packaging is just right. See photos for tips.
review imagereview imagereview image
11 comment| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 21, 2016
At first, I thought there were no markings on this wire to keep track if the polarity. Close inspection showed a very faint white stripe! I took a photo just to prove it to myself. Aside from reminding me that I may need better glasses, I really do like the quality and the price!
review imagereview image
on December 14, 2016
Quite flexible and the wire does not have the annoying curling after unpacked from the spool.

The quality is fine. It is CCA wire but as long as the total impedance of the wiring is fine, it really does't matter. In my setup, I run 30 ft of these wires for my surround side speakers and does not notice any obvious difference comparing to my previous setup using 30 ft of 12AWG pure copper wires. I did use 14AWG pure copper wire for my 50 ft away surround rears.

Following is the link to an article about the measured impedance of AmazonBasic CCA wires, together with several other CCA choices:

Highlighted measurements:
AmazonBasics: 0.5977 Ohm per 100 feet
Mediabridge: 0.6025 Ohm per 100 feet
RCA: 0.5862 Ohm per 100 feet

For reference, 16 AWG pure copper speaker wire has resistance of about 0.4094 per 100 feet.

So, if you are using 8 Ohm speakers, these AmazonBasics 16AWG CCA wires should satisfy most of your needs. Would recommend.
on May 12, 2017
While I'm sure there are audiophiles who'll quibble, I think this stuff is awesome. It's got enough (but not too much) insulation to make me feel comfortable pulling it through walls. I got this to run through the wall and outside to connect some speakers to the Sony 100w amp we use with our AppleTV so we can play music out on the porch. The wire's nice and thick, easy to work with, and the spool's not ridiculously large. Other than that, the price is right.
on March 18, 2018
Looks good so far.
Havent measured it so dont know yet if I got one of the short rolls that people have talked about.
I knew this from tne reviews before buying it.
I read people complaining about the white line on the wire to differentiate which wire to attach to a connection.
Yes it is light but visible, I where readers for obvious use.
Seems as if a lot people wont put thier glasses on or in denial about having to need them and thats the problem.
The gauge was just as advertised and it was easy stripping and very flexible outer cover.
Works well and i am not sm audiophile but still know a difference in sound quality.
My monster cable on one speaker and this wire on another there was no noticeable sound quality difference.
I am using this wire on speakers that are no more then 5 feet from the reciever.
If you need more distance like running wire under a floor or through the attic then you might consider pure copper.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse