Customer Reviews: AmazonBasics USB 2.0 A-Male to A-Female Extension Cable (3.3 Feet/1.0 Meter)
Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 New Professional Skin Care Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon fall24 fall24 fall24  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Frank Sinatra Shop Cycling on Amazon

Please be aware that this is NOT a longer USB cable. It is an extension cable with 'Type A' connectors at BOTH ends (male and female) - meaning that this cable will NOT connect 2 devices by itself. It will only work with and extend a 'regular' USB cable that has a 'Type A' male connector at one end. 'Type A' is the type of connector that would normally plug into your computer or laptop USB port.

These being said, I found it quite useful with peripherals that come with permanently attached cables that are not as long as I wish they were. I am using mine with a Logitech Driving Force GT Racing Wheel and with a T-flight Hostas joystick on which we can use a longer cable.

There's not much to say other than everything is done right, including the price. It is USB 2.0 certified and connectors at both ends appear to be gold-plated and solidly built. This is important because, unlike a HDMI cable that you usually plug it in at the back of your equipment and it's likely to stay there, USB cables tend to be plugged in and out many times and this is even more so the case with an extension cable.

While USB cables are clearly a commodity item these days, AmazonBasics cables do have a couple of advantages over the competition.

- EASY RETURN - I know because I had to return quite a few items for various reasons. Amazon makes it very easy and, if you are returning the item because it came defective or damaged Amazon pays for shipping.

- WARRANTY - these wires come with a 1-year warranty.I am highly confident that Amazon will be around to honor its warranty and I'm not so sure about vendors I know less.

- QUALITY ASSURANCE - I've never had any problems with 'cheap' USB or HDMI cables but it may be reassuring to have Amazon's name on a wire. My assumption is that Amazon did insist on some quality checks before they stamped their logo on the product.

- PRICE - This cable may appear more expensive than others but keep in mind that, unlike most, it qualifies for SuperSavers and Amazon Prime free shipping.

I am awarding this item 5 stars for price and quality - there's nothing to complain. There may be better deals out there, pricewise but I decided to go with the Amazon brand in this case for the reasons cited above.

I ended up using the 9.8 Feet / 3.0 Meters version of this wire because the price difference is insignificant and, if you need it to be shorter, just make a little loop, no big deal but if you get a short wire the only way to extend it is to get yourself an... extension cable :)
1313 comments| 227 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Put it atop your desk and no longer have to duck underneath into the dusty morass full of transformers and cables and crap to stick something into your PC's USB port. No more banged heads on underside of desktop.

Just stick this baby into USB, place it of duct tape it to the top of your desk, and voila--sync your iPod, use your flash drive, and place media files from your camera all right there in front of you

Worth it's weight in ice packs for the bruised rear of your squash.
44 comments| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 16, 2012
amazon basics did not skimp out at all on this product. nice heavier gauge wire. quality USB connectors with strong plastic housings. i thought the amazon basics logo and it's placement was actually nice. made it seem like some thought went into how this private brand would be marketed.

i would buy amazon basics again,
on December 13, 2011
I ordered this product because I needed an extension cable for my keyboard so it would reach to the pull out tray on my desk. Every physical store I looked for a suitable cable had the item, but at twice the length and FIVE TIMES the cost. I didn't want to spend close to $30 so I checked out Amazon, and very happy I did. This is the perfect length, connecting my keyboard and desktop without dragging on the ground (an important point, since my cat likes to chew cables and cords); and also a great price! No problems with it as of yet so I'm very pleased.
The AmazonBasics USB 2.0 A-Male to A-Female Extension Cable in it's 3.3 foot (1.0 Meter) length is an excellent, no-nonsense product and one worthy of the AmazonBasics name that many of us have grown to rely upon. Right out of the package, it does exactly what is expected.

+ Supports the 480-Mbps communication speed of the USB 2.0 standard
+ A-male to A-female extension cable; adds additional connectivity between devices
+ Gold-plated connectors; long-term connector reliability
+ AmazonBasics 1-year limited warranty; no-hassle returns if defective

Before we go any further, it's probably best to clarify what this cord is, and what it isn't. The best way to explain this would be to use a lamp or other household electrical device as an example. If you have a lamp and find that it's too far from a wall socket to plug in, you don't need to rewire the lamp. It's far easier (and more economical) to just get an electrical extension cord, plug the lamp into the extension cord's female receptacle and plug the extension cord into that wall outlet. It's that simple.

This USB 2.0 A-male to A-female extension cable works the same way. It extends the reach of a USB 2.0 device between the computer, for example, and the peripheral; nothing more and nothing less. For instance, if you have a USB 2.0 accessory that is too far from the computer, this cable will act in the same fashion as the extension cord on that lamp.

Have had the occasion to buy a few different AmazonBasics cables since the brand was introduced, and in each case, the product has performed exactly as the product specifications indicated. But what if one of them is malfunctioning, as happened to a friend of mine? Amazon makes it simple, and if it's being returned because it came defective or damaged, Amazon pays for shipping, and with no hassles.

There's an additional benefit if you have Amazon Prime, as two-day shipping is free. Can attest to this as I needed one of these cables to connect a printer that needed an additional 20-inches to make the connection. Ordered the cable on August 14, 2012, and it was shipped the same day. I received the cable via UPS on August 15 before 2:00 PM, just over 24 hours from the time that it was ordered. Your experience may vary according to location, but to me that's excellent service.

For those who need a longer length than 3.3 feet, there's the AmazonBasics USB 2.0 A-Male to A-Female Extension Cable (9.8 Feet/3.0 Meters), which is three times the length for very little more. Just plan ahead and pick your length.

You can poke around and find USB 2.0 cables that are cheaper and more expensive. But considering that time is money, I can say that these from AmazonBasics are reasonably priced, made from top-notch components, and backed by an excellent warranty. And I have yet to have one fail in operation.

on December 29, 2009
Great cable. High quality thick insulation and tight usb connection.
would recommend it to anyone.
on March 30, 2012
Bought two of these with my new mouse and keyboard in fear of the cables not being long enough to reach my computer. Didn't end up needing them for that, but they work great. Good quality. The ends aren't plasticy, they're made from that rubber material you find on most cables but with the little "Amazon Basics" brand on one side of each connector. I'm sure you could peel it off if you wanted, but I don't see why. The only issue I had with these cables was the packaging--Each of the cables was packed in its own box, which were then packed into a larger box, which was huge! I will post a picture to the product page. It's no issue for me since shipping is free, just be aware that if you order two of them you should be expecting a much larger box than you would think. A great product nonetheless. The perfect combination of reasonable price and superior quality.
review image
on February 15, 2014
So far so good. The test with cables like this are using it for power and a multitude of different devices. I bought two of these extend my iPhone charging cable and upon initial tests, they seem to work as expected. For a review this product either works, works on some things, or doesn't work at all. So far it works on the few things I've tested it for thus my 5 star review.

Also, I think I should mention when looking at many of the 1 star reviews, those that didn't look at what they were buying and reviewed this 1 Star should be disregarded. it doesn't matter what you were searching for when you landed on this item because this is clearly labelled USB 2.0, not 3.0, not HDMI, not anything else.
on March 7, 2015
The are better than awesome! We use them for video game controller extensions, plugging in our phones and iPads. I have not noticed any power drop using these. BTW these are the devices I have used these on: iPad 1, iPad 2, iPad mini, iPhone 6, 5 & 4, Galaxy tablet, Kindle Fire, PS3, and XBox 360
on February 3, 2012
this USB extension cable allows me to perform certain requirements between computers, between USB memory drives, and any other USB requirements I may have. It has performed as needed with no problems or issues.