Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,377 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,494 reviews
on January 23, 2014
This is a well made, sturdy, albeit somewhat thick cable.

I bought it so that I could extend both USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 cables. I.E., you can plug this cable into a USB 2.0 port on a computer and attach a USB 2.0 device or cable to the other end and it will work fine.

To be clear: you can attach a USB 2.0 phone cable to this extension cord, plug it into a USB 2.0 port on your PC and you will be able to both charge your phone and transfer data to and from it (at USB 2.0 speeds).

You can, of course, also plug this cable into a USB 3.0 port on a computer and plug a USB 3.0 device or cable into the other end and it will work fine.

Posting this info since some other reviewers were questioning this. The USB 3.0 standard is designed to be backwards compatible with USB 2.0 (and even USB 1.1).

The USB 3.0 connector is designed so that the extra pins needed for USB 3.0 are recessed, and they won't be used if the cable is plugged into a USB 2.0 port.

USB 3.0 is a superset of USB 2.0, so why not purchase an extension cable that will serve both types of devices and ports?
11 comment| 170 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 10, 2016
Purchased these to go with some HDMI extension cables for my Oculus Rift. I learned first hand that if you accidentally tug on the Rifts cables too hard, you'll end up snapping the connectors on the headset and once you do, your going to wait a very long time to get a replacement! My own wait was around one and a half months, so after that experience, I decided to take things into my own hands and I designed a setup so that if I were to accidentally snag my Rift headset cable again, instead of the connections breaking, the cable would simply unplug from the extensions and I'd be fine. For that purpose, this set of cables will be your insurance against lost time with your Rift, or the cost of replacement in case your charged for the damage to the Rift cables.

Now, if I accidentally snag the wires when walking in or out of my room, the worst thing that can happen is that I have to reattach the cables to these extension cables. Saving the time and money on the replacement cable is worth every penny! Better yet, you won't notice any lag or difference in your Rift experience when adding these cables to your headset, and that's something that most people would worry about. I've had nothing but peace of mind since ordering these along with the extension cables for the HDMI, so if you have accidents where you occasionally snag things, this is something that you're sure to love.
on June 10, 2017
this actually works as a usb extension for my usb wifi adapter. At first I thought it was the drivers, then I decided to get a new wifi adapter and new extension cable because I had some suspicions with this company called 'cable matters'. Lo and behold my suspicions were correct, I got screwed with a cheap low quality usb extension cable from 'cable matters'. With that extension cable, my wifi would disconnect every time I tried to download anything. With this new amazonbasics cable, I can download all day to my hearts content without a single hiccup!! The funny thing is that this amazonbasics cable is about half the price of 'cablematters'. Go figure, cheaper is better here haha.
on January 7, 2013
I purchased this for an external USB 3 JBOD enclosure I will need for my PC.

At the moment, I haven't received the JBOD enclosure, but I tested this cable with an Intel X25-V 40GB SSD in a MSI Coolmax HD-250TN-U3 USB 3 enclosure using a PCIe x1 Renesas 2-Port (EVGA EU30) card and saw HD Tune 2.55 return the following stats for a 4MB Block Size:
Transfer Rate:
Min: 134.6 MB/sec
Max: 149.2 MB/sec
Average 144.5 MB/sec
Access Time: 0.1 ms
Burst Rate: 73.6 MB/sec

This was with the SSD having 12.2 GB free of 37.2 GB.

When the SSD/enclosure was attached directly to the EU30 without using the extension cable, I saw the following results:
Transfer Rate:
Min: 138.0 MB/sec
Max: 149.4 MB/sec
Average 144.2 MB/sec
Access Time: 0.1 ms
Burst Rate: 74.5 MB/sec

My conclusion: No real speed loss when using the extension cable.

Other observations: The cable is nice and thick; the male/female ends feel strong and unlikely to break even with thousands of insertions/removal

UPDATE: When I used the extension cable with the NST-640SU3-BK enclosure, the disks would appear and disappear in Windows. Removing the cable fixed the issue.
review image
55 comments| 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 13, 2013
this is the stoutest, heaviest duty USB cable I've ever seen. It's a hefty cable, it's about 7/32 inch thick
review image
on December 24, 2013
Everyone needs an extension cable, and my favs of any kind, are Amazon Basics; been getting them for several years, and EVERY one of my Windows desktops, has ALL its ports plugged into these babies. For I do not want to go under the desk and futz with the back of the towers. My only complaint about these cables, is that they're black. They work GREAT. Ergo, I have over two dozen of them.

So when the opportunity arose to get a 3.0 cable, and Amazon Basics carried it, wow. Very happy camper. Especially, because as many know, the WD Passport drives have finicky cables that Windows 7 and XP, sometimes refuse to recognize. Had that very problem, this morning. Unhooked the replacement cable I had been using, and instead hooked in this baby and then reattached the original WD Passport (stinky, scorpion-like) cable, and BINGO! Windows 7 recognized it!

Thank you, Amazon!
on November 1, 2016
I did a lot of research before purchasing these USB extension cables. I wanted to make sure that I was getting quality cables that would charge my phone, tablet, etc., as quickly as possible. I like to play games on my tablet and/or phone before I go to bed at night (even though I know that's not helping my sleep cycle), but I would often find that I forgot to plug in the tablet before bed the night before or my phone was drained from the day. The charging cables that came with my phone and tablet are ridiculously short, so I was always just "out of luck" when these situations would arise. However, these AmazonBasics USB extension cables are exactly what I was looking for! They have great reach, they are heavy duty, and I use them all the time. I ordered 2 of these for my bedside table almost a year ago, and then when we were traveling on vacation this summer, I realized how perfect they would be for my daughter's devices in the car, so I finally got around to ordering 2 more. Would definitely recommend!!
on May 3, 2017
I have the Amazon Basics 10-port USB hub. This has worked very well for me EXCEPT when I attempted to extend its rather short cable with an Amazon Basics 3.0 6’ USB extension cable. With an external hard drive attached to the hub, populating large photo folders became noticeably slower. Then today the hard drive wasn’t being recognized. I ran several switchout tests, and it does seem that the cable is the issue. The hub still works great if directly connected to my computer (MacBook Pro), but slows down, then fails to recognize external devices.
on May 5, 2017
So far; Excellent quality, nice sturdy and thick cables. Must have large gauge conductors to keep any loss to a minimum so I am happy as can be.
This is for me again an excellent Amazon Basic product which turned out to be of a great quality for a more as fair price. So yes I can recommend this product without having to think twice about it. I am a very critical person and finding quality is a natural thing for me. I am bluntly honest and call / name it as things come, no sugar coating or nonsense. Two thumbs up Amazon.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon November 28, 2013
I ordered this on Tuesday and got it on Wednesday. I use this with a wall plug that has a USB port on the plug. Then I just plug my device's cord into the other end. You can also plug this into the USB port of your computer, but I use the wall plug because it seems to charge things faster. It seems the computer gives a trickle-type charge and the wall plug gives a dedicated charge.

It is long enough to reach from my wall plug to chair side table, even though my wall plug isn't close to the table. The reason I didn't just buy a long phone charging cord was because with this cord, I can charge anything that has a USB port. I have other electronic devices with different ends on their cords. iPhone cord, micro-USB, camera cords, etc. I usually use it for my Samsung phone. I already had the wall plug with the USB port on it and I already had my (too short) phone cord so I plugged this into the wall and added my phone cord to it.

I also have this same type of set-up in my bedroom and liked it for charging my cell phone every night while I sleep. Sometimes, after heavy use of my phone, my battery gets low before I go to bed, so I wanted one for my living room, so I could charge up my phone during the day and still be close enough to hear it if it rings.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.