Workplace Solutions Best Kids' Books of the Year Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Gifts for Him Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services RestaurantPV RestaurantPV RestaurantPV  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Metallica Shop Outdoor Gift Ideas on Amazon

Showing 1-10 of 4,529 reviews(verified purchases). Show all reviews
on February 1, 2015
I received the backpack yesterday and went on a walk with several lens and some other accessories in the backpack. When I arrived home I lifted it by the top handle and it ripped out and I almost dropped $3000+ of lens on the floor. NOT happy.
review image review image review image review image
88 comments| 209 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 3, 2010
Here is a video review of the Amazon Basics SLR backpack.
I really like it. It seems durable, it's relatively comfortable, and most importantly... it can hold a lot of stuff!
I say it's great value for money.
1414 comments| 471 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 12, 2010
I have been using the Canon 200EG backpack camera case since about 2007, and love it. Correction: loved it. I think, on my short sample, that I prefer the Amazon.

The outer size is nearly identical, although the Amazon seems a bit larger only because its squared profile is harder / less collapsible than the Canon. The interior size is nearly identical, and is laid out identically. The small touches definitely favour the Amazon -- the inner zip compartments [perfect size for SD cards, lens cleaning pens, small manuals, tripod quick mounts, etc.] have a flap covering the zipper, which protects your expensive glass and camera bodies. The foam "foundations" for the velcro-ed compartments are firmer and a bit more sturdy [and padded] in the Amazon. As others have noted in reviews, the shoulder strap is better-padded on the Amazon, and there is a belt cinch for ease and a healthier walk when the sucker is weighed down. Not much difference, but a slight edge to the Amazon. Add in the price (and no "Canon" magnet for thieves), and the Amazon comes out ahead.

Make no mistake -- this thing will hold a LOT of gear. In the Canon, I took to Paris two Nikon DSLR bodies, an 80-200 pre-DSLR 2.8 constant zoom (big!), a 50 1.4, an 85 1.8, and a 20 2.8, SB-600 flash, along with table-top tripod, large air cleaning syringe, and assorted. Cramped, but do-able. And I've since put the same rig in the Amazon (but without traveling).

Finally -- I also have Tamrac backpacks, as well as a Crumpler 8 Million Dollar Home Case (Blue/Orange) MD0810A. [what can I say -- I'm a bag junkie!!!]. The others were all more expensive, sometimes over a C-Note more expensive. And NO layout is more accessible than this Canon / Amazon full-zip opening backpack. Lay it flat on the ground, and you can grab anything/everything in moment. No digging, no hassle.

Buy this sucker. I got it in a lightning deal, but the normal Amazon price is still a great one.

And no -- I don't object to the Amazon zippers. . . . .
33 comments| 191 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 14, 2011
Purpose

Before you purchase a pack for your camera gear, you have to decide WHY you want the pack. If you want to hike into the boonies for an overnight camera shoot, this is NOT the pack for you. It is too small. This pack has no room for overnight gear.
If you want to carry all possible gear to be able to photograph anything that comes down the trail, this may not be the pack for you. It is too small. Consider wheeled photo case for this type of job.

If you want a pack to carry your camera body, a couple of extra lenses, maybe a flash and a few other assorted must-have goodies, keep reading. You may have found your pack. I consider this pack to be an ideal size. On most trails, I only need a wide-angle lens for the scenics, a telephoto lens (and maybe a tele-extender) for wildlife, and a macro lens. This all fits into the pack nicely, along with a sandwich, trail mix, a 16-oz coffee container, and wind/rain jacket. Taking any more than this is not only overkill for the mission, but it is also heavy. Again, this pack is an ideal size for a day hike.

Potential Pack Problems

I have worn out a lot of packs in the last few years. Sometimes the pack material has worn out. This pack SEEMS as if the material is strong enough and protected enough that this should not happen. One frequent problem with packs is that the zippers are not heavy-duty. Although a zipper will occasionally give you warning that failure is imminent, having a sudden breakage five miles into a trail is just not fun. The zippers on this pack seem to be of good quality. However, there is no weather strip covering the zipper. Rain could seep in, although I haven't had the pack out in the rain yet.

Another problem I have had with packs in the past is that the straps will tear off where they are attached to the pack. It is difficult for me to tell how well constructed this portion of the pack is. Only time will resolve this issue. While a broken strap could be a tragedy in the field, I have never seen a strap break suddenly. The rips in the strap extend slowly, giving the user plenty of time to replace the pack. Padding for the This pack's padding for the camera and other gear appears to be as good as any camera pack I have used. The padding between the pack and the wearer is also good.

I have had several side-release (Fastex) buckles break in my life, but that is never a mission killer. Besides, the buckles are the only part of a pack (that I am aware of) that is user replaceable if they break. The buckles on this pack all seem to be of standard grade plastic and should not cause undue problems.

The Big Problem and Solution

All buckles on this pack are set up to be easily adjustable by simply pulling the strap or pulling up on the quick-release end of the buckle. Well, they are all set up that way EXCEPT the buckles on the waist strap. For some inexplicable reason (at least to me), this pack is set up with an extra triglide adjuster on the right side of the waist strap that makes it impossible to easily adjust the length of the waist strap. If you look at the pictures at the top of the main page, the triglide adjusters are the plastic pieces found to the left and right of the buckle on the picture showing the waist belt.

When the triglide adjuster is attached to the right strap (the side with the male part of the buckle attached), the strap cannot be pulled tight, nor can the quick-release mechanism on the male side of the buckle operate to release the tightness. Changing the length of the strap is possible, but it is very cumbersome.

I took the triglide adjuster completely off of the right strap on my pack and the straps now work as expected. [Note: the strap was also not properly wound around the male side of the buckle when I took to triglide off. The picture at the top of the main page shows the proper way to assemble the strap around the buckle.] I suggest you do the same.
Suggestion
Other than removal of the unnecessary triglide adjuster, the other change I would like to see in future versions of this pack is the addition of some kind of weather protection. A pack poncho attached to the top of the pack in a zippered retainer pocket would be a good way to keep weather off of expensive camera equipment during a hike in questionable weather, which is usually a great time to get some awesome pictures. But carrying a small poncho or even a garbage bag would accomplish the same thing, albeit much less elegantly.

Conclusions

I expect any pack to last no less than two years, but I always hope to get five years out of one before it wears out. I fully expect this pack to measure up to my expectations.
I like this pack. It fits me. Because of its size, I cannot carry a lot of unnecessary (and heavy) gear, but it will carry enough gear for a single day hike. If I need more equipment, I carry it in my large, wheeled camera case and leave the case in the vehicle, carrying in the pack only what I need for the shoot.

Pros:
1. Excellent size for day hike.
2. Comfortable
3. Good camera padding
4. Handle on the top
5. Zippers appear to be heavy-duty
Cons:
1. The "belt strap" can't by tightened on the fly (but read text for a work-around of what I consider a major design flaw)
2. I have doubts about the ability of the camera compartment to protect the gear from rain: (a) non-protected zippers; (b) no inner lining for the main camera compartment; and (c)no built-in poncho.
3. There is a piece of stretchable fabric on the chest strap that seems to be a bit fragile.
11 comment| 81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 4, 2011
I filled the backpack with a camera body, 4 lenses, and a flash. There was still room for a small lens.

Pros:
Comfortable, good layout, a lot of versatility.

Cons:
On the first day of carrying it the seam started to pull out at the top of the straps then later at the top of the second pocket. This was on the first day of a 10 day vacation so I had to be extra careful the rest of the trip to make sure it would not come completely undone.
1414 comments| 127 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 14, 2015
Upon receiving this bag I discovering some very shoddy stitching on the handle. After pulling the camera bag out of the box and grabbing the bag by the upper handle as it was intended the stitching on the handle actually pulled out. Other than this the bag appears to be of good quality. I obviously returned this bag and was sent another one in its place.

Pull out the 2nd camera bag and wouldnt you know it same thing happened again. Grab it by the handle and the stitching pulls out very very easily. Its quite disappointing to see Amazon put their company name on something of such poor quality. I might just deal with it and not return it either way its unfortunate.
review image
on February 19, 2012
The value of this backpack is huge. The construction and the detailing are very nice. I easily fit my Nikon D700, 4 other lenses, flash, IPad and a ton of small items in the pack. Regrettably the hauling loop handle on the top of the pack separated from the pack after its first real use.
33 comments| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 24, 2014
I purchased this bag as an upgrade from my venerable Canon 2400 SLR gadget bag as I outgrew its small size. I have recently refocussed my photography efforts toward outdoor/nature photography and decided I needed a new bag to carry my growing collection of lenses and accessories. Here's what I think of it:

Size:

This bag, upon first impression, actually seems a bit on the small size until you open it up. There is a lot of room in it for a number of different lenses, bodies, and accessories. This is what I got in it right now: Canon Rebel T2i, Canon 18-55mm kit lens, Tamron 70-300mm VC, Sigma 105mm Macro, Tokina 11-16mm, various wires, charger and accessories, a collapsible light diffuser/reflector, and a travel tripod strapped to the side of the bag. If I took out the wires which I really don't need I could easily fit another large lens. But let's get down to business, how many lenses can you really fit in this thing? If they were all the size of the kit lens or the Tokina, I could probably fit at least 7 since they can be placed in the bag standing up (when the bag is on its back). And that's of course with the T2i body. Now if you have all lenses the size of the Tamron or Sigma, you might be able to squeeze 4 in the bag depending on how you do the layout. And if you have really large lenses, expect even fewer. This is something to keep in mind, especially if you're thinking of doing wildlife and nature photography like I am. You're going to need some big lenses to get those great shots, and they take up a lot of room.

Construction:

This bag is built tough. Even though I've only had it for a month, you can tell the quality of the materials. The really nice part of it is that the interior is customizable, so you can change the layout to fit all the lenses and accessories you have. Plus, I love the side tripod straps. That makes keeping everything together on a simple hike so much easier.

Protection:

I can't say that I dropped the bag full of equipment or otherwise did something that would normally be regrettable yet, but I can say that it looks well enough padded to absorb hits and drops. Outside of falling backwards with the bag on my back, I think it will protect my equipment well.

Design:

At first, I was hesitant buying a backpack style bag as I always liked to carry my camera with a side bag. However, the benefits of putting the weight on your back instead of one arm has a great advantage. It doesn't tire your arms when you want to hand shoot stuff! Plus, you can keep your equipment on your back at all times, even when shooting. I can see this being a great advantage out in the 'field'. It does have one disadvantage as you have to take the bag off your back before getting to the equipment which adds time, sound, and movement (something that may be problematic when shooting skittish wildlife).

Overall:

This bag seriously can't be beat when you factor in the price. It's even cheaper than the sale price for my old Canon bag! I can't yet judge its durability as I haven't had it long enough, but just for its ease of use and large size I'd readily buy one a year if I had to.
review image
on August 27, 2010
This camera bag is very similar in quality and function to the Canon 200EG but cost $10 less. It is comfortable on your back; build quality is sturdy and holds tons of photographic gears: at least 2 bodies + a few lenses.
The only problem I have with this bag is that it holds your tripod to the side rather than having it hang off the bottom of the bag. If you carry a tripod with it, it makes one side of your bag much heavier than the other. The imbalance can be uncomfortable at times.
44 comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 26, 2014
I was expecting a bigger backpack, but I guess you get what you pay for. I filled the backpack very quickly and I felt a little awkward carrying this on my back. I'm 5'11" and this looked like a grade school backpack that you would buy for your kid. Granted if you're a small build or you're very petite. This backpack would be great for you. The stitching on the backpack needs some work but I guess the pack is okay. I have posted some pictures of my laptop backpack and this one so you can see the difference in size. I have had my Swiss for 4 years and it has been through hell and back. I carry it daily and toss it around and tug on it, you will see the wear on it. This camera backpack I have only had it for less than three months and has already started giving out on me. My advise is if you carry your camera, a few lenses, a flash, batteries and a tablet. Don't buy this bag! If all you carry is your camera and the lens on it, then stuff a few snacks in it and you're a small build. You'll be fine with this backpack.
review image review image review image

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.