Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 130 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 142 reviews
on October 1, 2015
I bought this tripod as my travel/hiking tripod. When I first got it in yesterday I was impressed with how small it was and skeptical that it could hold my D600 with a 28mm f/1.4 on it. I decided to do a trial indoor shoot using a 5sec exposure with the tripod at full extension. I took a picture of a wall inside my place that was about 20ft away. I set the camera on mirror lockup mode and pressed the shutter and let go of the camera. Thirty seconds later the camera took the picture. Everything came out sharp. I will update this review, later this October, with how my night shots went from Yellowstone using this tripod.
Pros:
Cheap, small, light(2lbs 6.6oz, 2lbs 12.4oz with bag and allan wrench), travel bag included

Cons:
Poor finishing touches; carbon fiber rough in spots, scratches to what I assumed was anodized aluminum... may be just paint, rubber grips on twist locks and knobs are poorly glued in place... not centered and wavy

Compared against every tripod in this size and weight class this is a three star tripod, but I'm giving it four stars because of price.

*Update: Why I now do not like this why.
It fell apart on my trip to Yellowstone! Literally fell apart! I wasn't expecting much from this tripod and I only used my D600 with the kit 24-85mm lens on it, but it couldn't even handle that. The rubber pads on the quick release plate came off. The pin holding the mount for the ball head fell out and the mount point spun freely. They cut every corner in the assembly process to make this tripod this cheap. All the glued surfaces are unmachined and will eventually become unglued.
review image review image
44 comments| 104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 12, 2015
So far I am impressed with this tripod. The build quality exceeds what I was expecting. Others have said the mounting plate requires a screw to attach the plate to the camera, the tripod I received has a thumb screw and no additional tools are needed to remove/mount the camera from the tripod plate. The tripod and ball head is much stronger than I anticipated. I was able to mount my 4X5 camera with the neck of the tripod fully extended, although there was a bit too much wobble to shoot with a camera that heavy. The head will hold this heavy camera at any angle I have tried so far. Without the neck extended you could shoot with a heavier camera. I will be taking the tripod out shooting for the next week so I will update my review post use.
review image review image review image
on January 10, 2016
This tripod is awesome. For the price versus any other carbon fiber tripod on the market this easily takes the win in price/quality. Its extremely light and compact yet is tough enough to take a good hit and not break. The swivel joint on this thing feels pretty strong for being plastic and locks up pretty well though I don't know how well with a larger camera because I shoot with a Nikon D5300. The locks for the leg extensions are pretty solid for as light as this thing is but I do wish they weren't plastic but I shouldn't complain because they haven't given me issue yet. For a budget tripod this thing is great and I have recommended it to others due to its price point and portability factor. I purchased this for shooting my kids school & social events and have personally found the 52 inch to be a bit too short so for anyone doing the same I'd recommend something a bit taller like the AmazonBasics 67-Inch Video Camera Tripod with Bag but keep in mind you are trading portability for the extra height so to each their own.
on January 6, 2016
I write this review b/c there were conflicting reviews when I was trying to figure out whether to purchase. This tripod is not fancy except for carbon fiber which makes it incredibly light weight. I had planned to use it with a small camera but then found I would be taking a dslr. So here are a couple shots w/ the tripod holding a Nikon d7000, SB900 speed light and a ring flash adapter. The camera has an old 35-70mm zoom lens all glass... Mounted to it. Don't have a scale here but it felt hefty. I was resigned to hand hold the gear before I tried to mount it. In response to some of the criticism I read when I was deliberating:
1. It feels relatively steady. The legs are not fully extended but the column is, I'm short so it is fine.
2. The ball head is no more difficult to control than any other ball head.
3. I had no problem over-unscrewing the threads in any of the knobs and everything feels snug once tightened.
4. I can see the level after mounting the camera. Just had to mount it to the rear of camera, not the front.
5. I'm a studio photographer so don't travel to shoot much. Could not have justified the most of any other carbon fiber travel 'pod.
This is swell.
review image review image
on February 19, 2016
I wanted a travel tripod...we are 100% carry on travelers, even to Europe. Needed a tripod that could pack in my bag and not weigh me down too much. I'm a former serious 35mm film enthusiast that stopped shooting and a few years ago got back into the game. I now shoot MFT.

Realize this is a GREAT deal FOR THE MONEY. No, the bindings, connectors, or etc are not awesome, but they are adequate. This tripod is 1/2 or less the price of other carbon fiber tripods. Yes, they are cutting some corners to get you the compact form factor (which is excellent!), technical material (carbon fiber!) at this low price. Treat it like a really nice VALUE tripod and you should be fine.

That said, the QC on this tripod is not awesome. It's okay...remember this is a value tripod. Knowing this, the first thing I did on receipt was pull out each segment of the legs and make sure they stayed in. Lots of complaints about that. I checked all the connections, all the bells and whistles. Mine was ok.

Another common complaint is the quick release plate rubber pads falling off. Mine did that the first night. I glued it back on. Again, this is a "technical value tripod" and in my opinion you need to know this going in. You are the final QC check. Do it immediately after arrival. If something big is wrong, return it. Amazon is great about returns.

Now to quick release plate info: I have two camera bodies and needed another quick release plate. Amazon doesn't sell one and their head is unusual. While the plate is an Arca-Swiss type, the fact of the matter is that most won't fit on there if you want the safety latch to work. Pull out the safety latch and you can fit most Arca-Swiss on. I wanted the safety latch.

There were a few reviews that claimed to find an appropriate plate. One guy hit it right on the head - John Bratton:

"Through a little trial and error I found a source - BH Photo has one that will work. Smith-Victor QD Plate for BH2 Ball Head - SMQRPBH2 : Mfr# 701257. It is not identical to the Amazon plate but it works quite well.
John Bratton answered on June 7, 2015"

Here's the problem. Amazon doesn't carry this plate. B&H now doesn't carry the plate...Smith-Victor stopped making the BH2 Ball Head.

I did find the plate at Adorama and bought one. Warning though...if you need another plate AND want to use the safety latch, buy quickly. These quick release plates won't be around much longer. [...]

Amazon needs to make replacement quick release plates available, because as functional this tripod is for the money, intermediate to advanced shooters could easily use this tripod in their arsenal.

Now that I've carefully given the tripod a once over and purchased an extra plate, this will be my only tripod.
on October 19, 2015
I've only had this tripod for about three weeks now and I've already run into a couple of serious problems with it. The first problem I had was loosing the rubber cushions that go between the camera's bottom and the base unit that screws on to it. I notice that one of the rubber cushions was missing when I had my camera in portrait position and the camera would keep moving because it was slipping on the base unit. I removed the base unit to see that one of them was gone and that the other was loose. Eventually I lost the other one too. The other problem that I recently had was when the small pin that holds the entire pan head assembly on top of the carbon upright came out. Now the pan head will spin on the upright post, and it will come completely off if I pull up on it.
on January 9, 2016
I bought this tripod strictly as a compact travel tripod. It functions pretty good the head is not the best but it works good for something that is that portable. It is extremely lightweight and for the hiker will not bang up against your back like a standard tripod will. The locking device function causes the legs to stick a little bit so when using it loosen the locking devices pretty well especially when collapsing the legs.
VINE VOICEon November 23, 2014
After a couple uses I'm going to give this travel tripod five stars. As stated, it folds down to easily packable size, and sets up fast enough. The twist lock legs hold well enough and have the important three angles for adjusting on uneven ground or added stability. I had to modify the clamp on the ball head to accept my Arca Swiss "L" bracket (removed the locking pin) and now its perfect!. Its a light tripod and barely handles my D800 with a 16-35 f/4, but it DOES handle it and that's all that counts. Well done, Amazon!
on May 25, 2015
The legs are pretty good. They are not the same quality as $300+ carbon fiber tripods. But they are good enough for mounting a 1.7Kg (4 pound) DSLR indoors to take a family portrait. The bubble level is useless with a DSLR because the camera sits on top of it and blocks it from view. Replace the head if you can afford to. First read Mr. Klein's review here:

Based on his review, I was able to adjust the clamp just enough to slide the Sunwayfoto anti-twist plate for Nikon D750. But the screw wouldn't turn any further for me to drop (instead of slide) in the plate. I had to remove the safety pin completely to slide the plate all the way through.
on December 27, 2014
I have owned a lot of tripods. They have ranged from heavy wood to support medium format cameras to cheap box store models. This one is probably my favorite for one reason, I actually take it with me when I go out. It fits in my camera bag and supports my E-M5 perfectly. Setup is very quick and it is very adjustable. I am 6 feet tall and am comfortable with the height of the camera.

The best tripod is the one you have with you and due to the size, this one is usually there.