Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Made for you. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on July 30, 2016
I purchased this Amazon Basics carrying case back in April for my 5 year old's Nintendo 3DS XL. 3 months later and it is still going strong. This zippered case is lightweight, easy to carry, and easy to store in his little backpacks or my purse. The inside is microfiber fabric to prevent scratching the 3DS XL surface. There are 3 netted pouches to hold games and 2 elastic straps to secure the 3DS XL into place. I've also been able to fit a charger in the case, with the 3DS XL and 3 games. The zipper, straps, and pouches are all easy for little fingers to use. I highly recommend this case, along with TNP New 3DS XL Case - Ultra Clear Crystal Transparent Hard Shell Protective Case Cover Skin for New 2015 Nintendo 3DS XL LL for those looking for a cost effective option for protective coverage of their 3DS XL.

As my personal rule of thumb:
I award 5 stars to products that exceed my expectations and that I would repurchase again at full price.
I award 4 stars to products that can be improved but overall work well and are up to par. These I would still repurchase at full price.
I award 3 stars to products that are mediocre and I would NOT repurchase at full price.
I award 2 stars to products that are underwhelming and definitely would NOT repurchase at full price.
I award 1 star to products that do not work correctly and should not be on the market.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on May 30, 2017
Great price. Also just in case anyone is wondering, an original Gameboy (DMG) fits in this case perfectly.
review imagereview imagereview image
on November 20, 2012
I was very impressed with the overall quality of this case for the price. It's of comparable quality to anything in the same price-range as something from Hori or Nintendo, but it's more readily available as it comes directly from Amazon. The item is sturdy, doesn't smell funny (which is often a problem with similar "hard" rubberized cases), and the screen printing for the logo is nice and clear. The 3 cartridge sleeves for holding games are a tad more tight than I would like, but they'll loosen up with use. I was looking for a case that would keep my new 3DS XL safe, but the majority of items currently on the market that were of a compatible size for that system still read "DSi XL" on the cover, or merely showed the general 2-rectangle DS symbol. I wanted a case that explicitly said "3DS" on it, to distinguish it from my other handhelds. This product from AmazonBasics fit the bill perfectly. So to reiterate, though the product description doesn't say so outright, this case will work perfectly for a 3DS XL.

I would not recommend this case for someone looking to store/protect one of the non-XL DS systems (DS, DS Lite, DSi, 3DS). The case is quite large, and although there are 2 different sizes of elastic straps for holding your system in place while traveling, there's still far too much empty space around the edges for my comfort. Someone who is in a hurry might neglect to use those straps, and then their system would jostle around far too much. A DSi XL or 3DS XL on the other hand is a snug, secure fit even without the straps. I would imagine the smaller system's mentioned in the item's description were simply thrown in as a catch-all because they technically will fit . . . just not securely.
55 comments| 189 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 14, 2014
I bought this for my brand new 3DS XL that my roommate bought me for Christmas. I also own a PSP and the two must share a backpack pocket when I pack a bag to travel or spend the night somewhere else. I got a pouch for my PSP and I bought this for my 3DS XL.

Pros
1. Solid construction. The outer shell is a sort of nylon plastic substance that doesn't bend or crush easily. The inside is a felt material to protect the 3DS from scratches or fading. Using the straps, you can fit both a 3DS and a 3DS XL in this case.
2. The little flap opens up to hold 3 games. I don't own many yet and I know I'll have far more than 3 games eventually. However, for traveling over a weekend or overnight, 3 games is more than enough.
3. The 3DS XL fits snugly with and without the straps.
4. Weirdly enough, there's a Nintendo 3DS logo on the front but Amazon decided to leave the AmazonBasics logo off of it. While I wouldn't have been concerned if they'd included it in the slightest, it's nice to see only one logo on the front.

Cons
1. The inside could have been more padded. I have no problem using this to protect my 3DS XL against other objects in my book bag but I would be nervous if I dropped this onto the floor. Especially hard surfaces like kitchen floors, hardwood floors, or things like concrete.

Overall, for my (admittedly light) uses, this case is perfect. It's cheap, keeps my 3DS safe against the other things rumbling around in my bag, and carries a few spare games. I couldn't ask for more at this price point.
on April 3, 2015
This case was pretty much perfect for my needs. It had slots for three games, and the New 3DS XL fit perfectly in the case. The top and bottom of the case provided adequate protection without having as much bulk as the Hori cases. My biggest problem (and for Amazon's sake, I hope I'm the outlier here) was that the case smelled badly of harsh chemicals that I couldn't handle the thing without feeling nauseous. I hope they update their manufacturing processes so this isn't a problem in the future... In the meantime, I think I'm going to spend a couple of extra dollars and buy the plain Hori case.
on September 23, 2017
I liked this case. It's durable, not giant and bulky like other cases, and I like that it has pockets on the inside for games. I wish it had more pockets because you can only fit 3 games and then one game in the actual 3DS so overall it can hold 4 games, but that's my only complaint. The color is great and I got red so it matches my 3DS. I've had it for over a year now and it still looks like I had just bought it yesterday.
on July 23, 2016
Got this to protect my 3DS when it's either sitting around or tossed in my bag. It's a bit ...fat for pocket use is the problem, but any case would likely have the same problem I think considering the girth of the new3DS XL. It's got a few straps inside to keep the 3DS secure...which I don't use, and a spot for 3 games which grip them tight which is good unless you want your games on the floor when you open it, or sliding around in the case.

I wish this thing had a belt-clip, sure it'd bounce around and you'd look like a giant nerd but it'd make transporting it without a bag easier.

In terms of quality, it feels nice, inside seems like it wont carve up my device and I'm not seeing any issues so far. I'll update if it catches fire or the zipper falls off.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 27, 2014
This case holds my 3DS XL nicely. There's a centimeter of clearance on the side, but that is presumably so you can lift it out from under the elastic straps. There are four straps, two which go over the device, two which remain underneath, probably to hold the DS away from both sides of the shell. Once the entire thing is zipped closed (and three cartriges have been put into the carrying slots) the inside is tight enough that only vigorous shaking will make the DS move around, but only a little. It feels very solid while carrying.
I feel like there aren't enough cartridge slots inside (I really wanted more than three, but I can keep my fourth in the DS and a fifth stored loosely in the pouch without being in a slot). The material of the outside really attracts grease (the obvious fix is to keep your hands, though, duh).
I will be attempting to modify my pouch by adding straps to it so I can carry it around.
Overall, and excellent product, I use it everyday.
EDIT: I've used it heavily for a while now, and the elastic straps are starting to loosen a little. It doesn't really matter, though, since you could do away with the elastic and still have a fully functional case. Just giving you a heads up.
on November 30, 2016
I love this carrying case. It looks nice. It has a simple design. The only issue that I have with the case is that I feel it should have a little bit more support when it comes to the material it is made out of. The case seems sturdy enough to protect my 3ds, however I would feel more secure about using this case if it had been a little harder on the outside.

Don't get me wrong, I don't regret buying this case. I would defiantly not hesitate to buy another one as a gift. I have not had any issue with the case itself. The inside of the case is very soft and cushioned for the device and games. I would recommend this to anyone who wants a decently priced and well looking design.
This case has served me very well for carrying my Nintendo 3DS XL. The design is simple and effective so I can easily take the system in and out. The included game carrying flap is a nice bonus, however I wish there was space for more games. The case has provided a good amount of protection for my system and has helped it survive a few drops, and I very much like the simple black design.