Oil month Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Start your Baby Registry

on December 26, 2011
These cables are excellent, as is the friendly cardboard box in which they are shipped.

The cable feels like high quality, is nicely flexible, and produces a sound quality that is crystal clear on my system.

Just be sure that you take the little rubberized tips off of each end before you try plugging them in. The cable should look like the product picture (no rubber tips) before you actually plug the ends in.

PS. I can't imagine anyone stumbling across this that doesn't know what they are for, but for those who are unsure of where these go... look for the little half inch or so square on your equipment that has a port which looks like the end of a barn (for lack of a better description). Of course, it could be turned sideways or upside down, so I will simply post a picture of an optical port for those who aren't sure.
review image
11 comment| 120 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
When you need a Digital Optical Audio connection between two devices, this is perfect, and at a FRACTION of the cost you will pay at any big box store (I checked 5 well know major retailers). It is advised not to exceed 15' to 30' with Toslink cables due to signal degradation and the risk of damage to longer cables since they will not tolerate being bent or crimped.

Interesting side note....This Digital Optical technology was invented by Toshiba to connect their earlier CD players to their digital receivers/amps, for a clear digital PCM audio stream. Thus the name Toslink which originated from TOShiba-Link, and has since been adopted by most electronics manufacturers, as the standard for Optical Audio, sent over light waves (fiber optics), which are immune from RF interference from other devices or ground loops. And with the above mentioned distance limitation, it is best to use shorter cords if possible (not over 15') from your source to receiver.

One use that I have found to be indispensable is using these Toslink cables to link to an analog converter, to run digital sound from flat screen TV's or DVD players, through the converter, to several older model analog amps, which are still punching out incredible sound. So, if you are still using old analog amps with only RCA right and left channel plugs, you can buy a converter (Portta PETDTAP) to convert Optical and Coax digital signals to analog for input into old receivers. And since analog cords do not suffer signal degradation over long distances, you can use a short Toslink cable to the converter and then run as far as you want with your analog RCA cords, to an amp, without any problems.

Thank you Amazon Basics for providing affordable cables and connectors.
on December 26, 2015

Just be sure that you take the little rubberized tips off of each end before you try plugging them in. If it doesn't snap you probably forgot to take the little rubber protectors off the end of the cable... like I did for about a minute. Once removed it snaps in perfectly.

The cable is high quality, long, and very flexible and has nicely constructed connectors.

And it is about 1/4 the cost of radio shack and best buy, both being rip-off artists on items like cables.My goal in life is to never buy overpriced cables.

on September 24, 2014
After recently having carpeting replaced, I reconfigured my home entertainment system. During this reconfiguration, I lost signal on one side of an audio selector that's fed by toslink cabling. After applying pressure in on the pc end of this cable, signal was restored. Fingers off, signal's gone again. To remove this cable from the Keystone wall plate jack, it took a yank, not the tug one might expect necessary, and the internal sleeve of the jack came with it. After receiving the replacement keystone toslink jack a week (through Amazon.com) later, and installing a different cable, all systems are go.
This makes two out of two of these Amazon Basic's toslink cables that have failed me. Counting the I-Phone/I-Pad cable with a connector that would not even fit in it's receptacle on the device side, 3 out of 3.
on July 23, 2013
I had no prior experience with digital optical cables. These connectors are on almost all newer equipment and are part of the landscape, but I never gave them a second thought.

We purchased a new TV (an LG HDTV - 32LN5300) to upgrade from a failing tube model. I had a mess of interconnections and I used the ability of my stereo receiver to switch audio and SDTV signals.

Since with the new TV set I went straight into the TV with HDMI cable from the Roku and the DVR cable box, we had to switch both the stereo receiver source and the TV source in tandem in order to get picture and sound from the stereo.

So I noticed that the TV had an "optical out" connector. I also (stupidly and slow wittedly, like "duh") noticed that my JVC RX-778 receiver, vintage 2000, had a couple of "PCM digital inputs" with little square plugs to protect the jacks.

I checked up on both the TV and the receiver, and lo and behold, both devices used this fancy new digital optical thingie.

So I ordered this cable with the idea that, hey, it's only $5 if it doesn't work.

I had read the reviews already and I avoided the rookie mistake of leaving the protective caps on the ends. I plugged each end in. The stereo end went into the "DVD" optical input on the receiver.

Contrary to comments here that these cable ends sometimes fall out, I found that you have to give each end a firm push and they will snap pretty decisively into place.

No sound. I kept pressing the "Digital/Audio Mode" button on the receiver and nothing happened. I unplugged the stereo end to check. The end glowed red - so I knew that the audio (or something) was being sent from the TV.

I fiddled with the stereo controls for a bit and I stumbled into a setting that apparently paired two of the "source device" settings with the two digital optical inputs on the back of the box. Apparently this receiver supports a wide array of input types, including some that are now obsolete, like magnetic disc, so this is a configuration item that wasn't very obvious.

Once I did this and selected DVD for the optical input, I pressed the "Digital" button and the display on the receiver changed to say "DVD DIGITAL". Some new status lights I never saw before came on. And I got the TV sound!

I then changed the TV over to the Roku box. I got sound through the receiver without having to change its setting.

So, the moral of this story is:

If something's not working, you can take a quick look at the output end to see that a light signal is being output. (Different than wired audio where you can't "see" an active signal.)

Carefully and methodically check the mode settings of the device that receives the input. Sometimes the settings that enable this audio are rather complex.
on January 10, 2014
Optical cables aren't susceptible to the same limitations of standard analog audio cables. What is being carried through an optical cable is light. Thus outside interferences aren't your enemy. Damage to the fiber optic lines is. AmazonBasics Optical Cables give quality where it counts. You see the originally fiber optic cables were housed in thin, flexible cables. However if a fiber optic cable of this sort is bent too sharply the fiber optics break and the cable is rendered useless. Cables like Amazon's greatly reduce the risk of fiber break with a nice thick PVC coating to help keep cables bends to a manageable level.

All the hype about gold plated connectors for optimal signal transfer is worthless. The signal transfer is based on the light coming from the fiber and not the plating that's around it. Stop with the buzz words Amazon. You have a great product without the misinformation.

There have been some complaints about the connectors coming with those rubber covers on the ends that many forget to remove before connecting to your components. This is a very good thing Amazon is doing. You see the ends of these connectors are essentially lenses to help with the light emitted from the fiber cables. If any dust or other particles get inside these polished lenses it can potentially scatter the light and cause signal errors. It wouldn't hurt to keep them around in case you need to remove and store the cables later, but at the same time I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

All in all this is an excellent connector. Don't buy into Monster's "precision polishing" and "advanced spring loaded connectors" hype and buy a $60 cable when an $8 cable will give you the exact same performance.
on January 6, 2015
if you have a surround, theatre style setup you MUST HAVE A SET OF THESE CABLES! i'm late to the party on this one. my first use of these and i am kicking myself in the butt for not doing it sooner! tuner or receiver to your tv and coupled with hdmi cables you have the return "path" back to your receiver. if your entertainment setup has a receiver with "pass through" abilities, this cable will help with your setup and it's a one cable setup! i have bose 5.1 cubes with a denon receiver unit, cable box/modem, vcr/dvd combo unit. for whatever reason the pass through hdmi cable out from the denon to the tv was not working correctly in that i could not watch tv with sound from the tv and not use the surround sound speakers if i chose to . the addition of this $5 optical audio cable was the solution for my situation and set up. definitely cheap enough to have a set in your drawer if you need it. most devices for a while now have had an audio digital output/input connection ability to them. easy to use and connect!
on July 16, 2015
I bought this cable to connect my television's optical out to my surround sound receiver. As others have stated, make sure you remove the little caps on the ends of the plugs before attempting to connect, they really should make the caps a bright color to stand out, but not really an issue if you just look at the ends.

The cable performs as expected, no issues whatsoever.

AmazonBasics has done a great job entering the cable market, with MANY name-brand and third-party companies out there nowadays, your search for quality cables can be muddled with MANY sub-standard brands. These are up there in build quality and performance with the name brands.

I wish I had bought a cable with 90* connectors, but I'm not sure if AmazonBasics produces such a cable. Even after buying 90* optical adapters, I still don't feel as if I wasted my money.
on May 22, 2013
I recently was watching a news program and they were comparing cables. They had a few different brands and types. The ever popular Monster was present as well as this Amazon cable. For the purpose of the review I am not going to go into depth about the other cable types and brands.

The news crew set up more than fifty people to listen to a selection of music. The speakers, amplifiers and media source were all the same. The only thing that would change would be the cable. Of the fifty people that auditioned the sound quality ZERO of them could tell a bit of difference in the sound quality between this Amazon cable and the Monster cable. And these were not hearing impaired individuals. In fact every one of the participants was involved in the music industry in some way. Including a symphony conductor, a movie soundtrack producer, a vocalist, etc. Now if these people with very keen ears cannot tell the difference between this cheap cable and the highest end of the mainstream Monster Cables then what makes you think the average person can? Unless you plan to wow your friends with sophisticated test equipment readings I suggest you buy the Amazon cable. Just remember, once your cable is all set up and plugged in, nobody should be able to see it anyway. Tell everyone it's Monster. Obviously no human ear can really tell the difference.

BTW in the other tests, the cheap HDMI cable was also indiscernible from the expensive cable.

To be fair all cable lengths were 2 meters or less for most of the tests. It was not until comparing cables that were over 20 feet long that these trained individuals were able to differentiate the cheap cable from the expensive ones.
on January 4, 2014
Let me begin by saying I've worked for over 27 year in the wire & cable business so I know a little bit about this stuff. All the expensive cords including optical ones are an unneeded upsell that selling companies love to sell you and many think their better because they equate higher cost with better quality. This is not true. Example; go into a retail store and buy the great deal of the day new big screen TV, then the sales person just prior to ringing it up will offer you an overpriced wall mount and also upsell you on overpriced cables so you have everything you need to install it today. But if you go for those upsells you will end up wasting well over $100 for all of these overpriced items, end of story that great TV deal isn't so great anymore. Don't waste your hard earned money on expensive cables, just buy a low cost one in the right length and don't look back, you'll never tell the difference between this and a $100 + cable. To be honest with you this cable I'm reviewing (The AmazonBasics Digital Optical Audio Toslink cable, 6 feet) cost the mfg in materials and labor no more than 2 or 3 dollars to make & package, so for under $10.00 this is a fair deal.

I Received this cable on time, well packaged and in perfect condition. Please remember to always remove the optical cables clear plastic end caps just before install to avoid fiber contamination.