Truck Reviews HPC Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on December 26, 2011
These cables are excellent, as is the friendly cardboard box in which they are shipped.

The cable feels like high quality, is nicely flexible, and produces a sound quality that is crystal clear on my system.

Just be sure that you take the little rubberized tips off of each end before you try plugging them in. The cable should look like the product picture (no rubber tips) before you actually plug the ends in.

PS. I can't imagine anyone stumbling across this that doesn't know what they are for, but for those who are unsure of where these go... look for the little half inch or so square on your equipment that has a port which looks like the end of a barn (for lack of a better description). Of course, it could be turned sideways or upside down, so I will simply post a picture of an optical port for those who aren't sure.
review image
120 people found this helpful
on April 11, 2015
I bought this AmazonBasics Digital Optical Audio Toslink Cable, along with an PETDTAT Digital Optical Coax to Analog RCA Audio Converter Adapter to connect my TV to my stereo speaker system.

Originally, I'd connected my 22 inch Sony Bravia TV to the sound system by hooking up the red & white analog audio cables between the corresponding red & white ports on the TV, and my Sony Stereo Receiver, and it was working fine. In fact with speakers scattered around the room, it resulted in GREAT sound from the TV, as well as the Sony Record Player and other audio components (which I don't have/can't find the Amazon link for) including my Sony 200 disc CD changer, and my Sony mini-stereo dual cassette tape deck with 3 disc changer that was almost like a complete "Surround Sound" system.

Unfortunately recently I'd had to squeeze behind the entertainment center (which houses the TV and other audio & vidio components) in order to adjust the position of my Mohu Leaf 50 Amplified Indoor HDTV Antenna. I was trying to get a stable signal (which kept pixelating and going in and out) for a particular OTA channel ("Antenna TV") and while I was back there in that narrow space, I accidentally stepped on the audio cables (connecting the TV to the sound system) in such a way that it ended up bending/pulling the audio ports from its position & partially out of the TV. :(

Though I unhooked the cables and tried pushing those ports back into the TV, when I plugged the cables back into the ports, there was still no sound coming from the TV through the speaker system. Even when it was at FULL/MAXIMUM VOLUME, the sound was still barely audible -- like it was coming from a hundred or thousand miles away!

So I was going through my available options, first calling around to see how much it would cost to repair the TV (and finding out it'd be at least $90 minimum) and then trying to find out the prices to replace the TV altogether (not really possible since I'm partial to the Sony brand, and they no longer sell/manufacture small TVs like my 22 inch Sony Bravia -- and the smallest TV that they now sell/manufacture is 32 inch which is too big for space available). As I was considering the various solutions, I saw the digital optical audio port on the TV, and since the optical audio port said "Digital Audio Out" on the TV the same way that the no-longer-functioning analog RCA (red/white) port said "Audio Out", I thought the digital optical audio port would be a good substitute/alternative.

However, since, as far as I can tell, my Sony Stereo Receiver doesn't have any digital audio ports and only has the analog red & white inputs, I got a PETDTAT Digital Optical Coax to Analog RCA Audio Converter Adapter and used this AmazonBasics Digital Optical Audio Toslink Cable to connect the digital optical audio port on the TV (since the analog port is now non-functional thanks to my being so klutzy!) to this device, and then used an analog red & white RCA audio cable on the device's other end to hook it up to the analog ports on the stereo system.

Initially, though I followed the instructions to hook everything up, and the blue power light on the PETDTAT Digital Optical Coax to Analog RCA Audio Converter Adapter was lit up, there was still no sound coming from the TV through the speaker system -- and even when it was at FULL/MAXIMUM VOLUME, the sound was still barely audible. Even after trying various other inputs & outputs, it still didn't seem to work. So I got discouraged assuming that either the device or the Toslink cable was defective, or that there was a problem with my TV or stereo, and after a few tries, just gave up, and was planning to return both this device and the cable and just live with the decreased sound until I could either get the TV repaired, or find another small (under 25 inches) Sony TV somewhere (eBay, Amazon, Craigslist, etc.)

Then a couple days ago, I thought I'd give it one last try, and started fiddling around with it for a bit, including taking the clear plastic tips of this cable (which I wish I'd known beforehand -- that they'd either included that info in the shipment, or that I'd read the reviews) trying different audio AND video composite/component (the blue/green/red) and regular RCA (the red/yellow/white) inputs on the TV, and the various audio inputs on the stereo receiver. I don't remember exactly which input/connection it was that was any different from prior attempts, but suddenly it started working and the the TV sound was finally coming back through the speakers LOUD & CLEAR!

So in general, this is a pretty good cable. The only reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 is because I wish I'd known that the clear caps on the ends of the cables were supposed to be removed. To the best of my recollections, I don't think that they gave any information about that, with this cable -- and I wish they had because might have saved me several hours of aggravation & anxiety, and many days of worry about what I'd do with & about my TV if I couldn't get the sound to work.

With that said, I'd have much rather preferred to give this item only a half star deduction (meaning rating the item 4½ stars) instead of 5 for the possible oversight of not letting buyers know that the tips can & need to be removed -- especially since its also partly my own fault for it not having occurred to me to read the reviews (where its pretty amply mentioned!) beforehand. Unfortunately, Amazon doesn't half-star ratings so I either had to give it 5 stars (which I'm not so sure that it honestly deserves) or 4 stars. So I gave it 4 stars, though technically IMHO, it deserved another ½ star!

All in all, this is a GREAT cable. Although it took me awhile to figure out how to use it, now that I finally have, so far, it WORKS LIKE A CHARM!!!

Nice item, pretty reasonable price, all-around good buy!

**** 4 STARS!!!!
|0Comment|Report abuse
When you need a Digital Optical Audio connection between two devices, this is perfect, and at a FRACTION of the cost you will pay at any big box store (I checked 5 well know major retailers). It is advised not to exceed 15' to 30' with Toslink cables due to signal degradation and the risk of damage to longer cables since they will not tolerate being bent or crimped.

Interesting side note....This Digital Optical technology was invented by Toshiba to connect their earlier CD players to their digital receivers/amps, for a clear digital PCM audio stream. Thus the name Toslink which originated from TOShiba-Link, and has since been adopted by most electronics manufacturers, as the standard for Optical Audio, sent over light waves (fiber optics), which are immune from RF interference from other devices or ground loops. And with the above mentioned distance limitation, it is best to use shorter cords if possible (not over 15') from your source to receiver.

One use that I have found to be indispensable is using these Toslink cables to link to an analog converter, to run digital sound from flat screen TV's or DVD players, through the converter, to several older model analog amps, which are still punching out incredible sound. So, if you are still using old analog amps with only RCA right and left channel plugs, you can buy a converter (Portta PETDTAP) to convert Optical and Coax digital signals to analog for input into old receivers. And since analog cords do not suffer signal degradation over long distances, you can use a short Toslink cable to the converter and then run as far as you want with your analog RCA cords, to an amp, without any problems.

Thank you Amazon Basics for providing affordable cables and connectors.
on December 26, 2015

Just be sure that you take the little rubberized tips off of each end before you try plugging them in. If it doesn't snap you probably forgot to take the little rubber protectors off the end of the cable... like I did for about a minute. Once removed it snaps in perfectly.

The cable is high quality, long, and very flexible and has nicely constructed connectors.

And it is about 1/4 the cost of radio shack and best buy, both being rip-off artists on items like cables.My goal in life is to never buy overpriced cables.

One person found this helpful
on September 24, 2014
After recently having carpeting replaced, I reconfigured my home entertainment system. During this reconfiguration, I lost signal on one side of an audio selector that's fed by toslink cabling. After applying pressure in on the pc end of this cable, signal was restored. Fingers off, signal's gone again. To remove this cable from the Keystone wall plate jack, it took a yank, not the tug one might expect necessary, and the internal sleeve of the jack came with it. After receiving the replacement keystone toslink jack a week (through Amazon.com) later, and installing a different cable, all systems are go.
This makes two out of two of these Amazon Basic's toslink cables that have failed me. Counting the I-Phone/I-Pad cable with a connector that would not even fit in it's receptacle on the device side, 3 out of 3.
on July 23, 2013
I had no prior experience with digital optical cables. These connectors are on almost all newer equipment and are part of the landscape, but I never gave them a second thought.

We purchased a new TV (an LG HDTV - 32LN5300) to upgrade from a failing tube model. I had a mess of interconnections and I used the ability of my stereo receiver to switch audio and SDTV signals.

Since with the new TV set I went straight into the TV with HDMI cable from the Roku and the DVR cable box, we had to switch both the stereo receiver source and the TV source in tandem in order to get picture and sound from the stereo.

So I noticed that the TV had an "optical out" connector. I also (stupidly and slow wittedly, like "duh") noticed that my JVC RX-778 receiver, vintage 2000, had a couple of "PCM digital inputs" with little square plugs to protect the jacks.

I checked up on both the TV and the receiver, and lo and behold, both devices used this fancy new digital optical thingie.

So I ordered this cable with the idea that, hey, it's only $5 if it doesn't work.

I had read the reviews already and I avoided the rookie mistake of leaving the protective caps on the ends. I plugged each end in. The stereo end went into the "DVD" optical input on the receiver.

Contrary to comments here that these cable ends sometimes fall out, I found that you have to give each end a firm push and they will snap pretty decisively into place.

No sound. I kept pressing the "Digital/Audio Mode" button on the receiver and nothing happened. I unplugged the stereo end to check. The end glowed red - so I knew that the audio (or something) was being sent from the TV.

I fiddled with the stereo controls for a bit and I stumbled into a setting that apparently paired two of the "source device" settings with the two digital optical inputs on the back of the box. Apparently this receiver supports a wide array of input types, including some that are now obsolete, like magnetic disc, so this is a configuration item that wasn't very obvious.

Once I did this and selected DVD for the optical input, I pressed the "Digital" button and the display on the receiver changed to say "DVD DIGITAL". Some new status lights I never saw before came on. And I got the TV sound!

I then changed the TV over to the Roku box. I got sound through the receiver without having to change its setting.

So, the moral of this story is:

If something's not working, you can take a quick look at the output end to see that a light signal is being output. (Different than wired audio where you can't "see" an active signal.)

Carefully and methodically check the mode settings of the device that receives the input. Sometimes the settings that enable this audio are rather complex.
One person found this helpful
on January 10, 2014
Optical cables aren't susceptible to the same limitations of standard analog audio cables. What is being carried through an optical cable is light. Thus outside interferences aren't your enemy. Damage to the fiber optic lines is. AmazonBasics Optical Cables give quality where it counts. You see the originally fiber optic cables were housed in thin, flexible cables. However if a fiber optic cable of this sort is bent too sharply the fiber optics break and the cable is rendered useless. Cables like Amazon's greatly reduce the risk of fiber break with a nice thick PVC coating to help keep cables bends to a manageable level.

All the hype about gold plated connectors for optimal signal transfer is worthless. The signal transfer is based on the light coming from the fiber and not the plating that's around it. Stop with the buzz words Amazon. You have a great product without the misinformation.

There have been some complaints about the connectors coming with those rubber covers on the ends that many forget to remove before connecting to your components. This is a very good thing Amazon is doing. You see the ends of these connectors are essentially lenses to help with the light emitted from the fiber cables. If any dust or other particles get inside these polished lenses it can potentially scatter the light and cause signal errors. It wouldn't hurt to keep them around in case you need to remove and store the cables later, but at the same time I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

All in all this is an excellent connector. Don't buy into Monster's "precision polishing" and "advanced spring loaded connectors" hype and buy a $60 cable when an $8 cable will give you the exact same performance.
on January 6, 2015
if you have a surround, theatre style setup you MUST HAVE A SET OF THESE CABLES! i'm late to the party on this one. my first use of these and i am kicking myself in the butt for not doing it sooner! tuner or receiver to your tv and coupled with hdmi cables you have the return "path" back to your receiver. if your entertainment setup has a receiver with "pass through" abilities, this cable will help with your setup and it's a one cable setup! i have bose 5.1 cubes with a denon receiver unit, cable box/modem, vcr/dvd combo unit. for whatever reason the pass through hdmi cable out from the denon to the tv was not working correctly in that i could not watch tv with sound from the tv and not use the surround sound speakers if i chose to . the addition of this $5 optical audio cable was the solution for my situation and set up. definitely cheap enough to have a set in your drawer if you need it. most devices for a while now have had an audio digital output/input connection ability to them. easy to use and connect!
on July 16, 2015
I bought this cable to connect my television's optical out to my surround sound receiver. As others have stated, make sure you remove the little caps on the ends of the plugs before attempting to connect, they really should make the caps a bright color to stand out, but not really an issue if you just look at the ends.

The cable performs as expected, no issues whatsoever.

AmazonBasics has done a great job entering the cable market, with MANY name-brand and third-party companies out there nowadays, your search for quality cables can be muddled with MANY sub-standard brands. These are up there in build quality and performance with the name brands.

I wish I had bought a cable with 90* connectors, but I'm not sure if AmazonBasics produces such a cable. Even after buying 90* optical adapters, I still don't feel as if I wasted my money.
on May 22, 2013
I recently was watching a news program and they were comparing cables. They had a few different brands and types. The ever popular Monster was present as well as this Amazon cable. For the purpose of the review I am not going to go into depth about the other cable types and brands.

The news crew set up more than fifty people to listen to a selection of music. The speakers, amplifiers and media source were all the same. The only thing that would change would be the cable. Of the fifty people that auditioned the sound quality ZERO of them could tell a bit of difference in the sound quality between this Amazon cable and the Monster cable. And these were not hearing impaired individuals. In fact every one of the participants was involved in the music industry in some way. Including a symphony conductor, a movie soundtrack producer, a vocalist, etc. Now if these people with very keen ears cannot tell the difference between this cheap cable and the highest end of the mainstream Monster Cables then what makes you think the average person can? Unless you plan to wow your friends with sophisticated test equipment readings I suggest you buy the Amazon cable. Just remember, once your cable is all set up and plugged in, nobody should be able to see it anyway. Tell everyone it's Monster. Obviously no human ear can really tell the difference.

BTW in the other tests, the cheap HDMI cable was also indiscernible from the expensive cable.

To be fair all cable lengths were 2 meters or less for most of the tests. It was not until comparing cables that were over 20 feet long that these trained individuals were able to differentiate the cheap cable from the expensive ones.