Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 5,025 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 5,231 reviews
on July 23, 2013
I had no prior experience with digital optical cables. These connectors are on almost all newer equipment and are part of the landscape, but I never gave them a second thought.

We purchased a new TV (an LG HDTV - 32LN5300) to upgrade from a failing tube model. I had a mess of interconnections and I used the ability of my stereo receiver to switch audio and SDTV signals.

Since with the new TV set I went straight into the TV with HDMI cable from the Roku and the DVR cable box, we had to switch both the stereo receiver source and the TV source in tandem in order to get picture and sound from the stereo.

So I noticed that the TV had an "optical out" connector. I also (stupidly and slow wittedly, like "duh") noticed that my JVC RX-778 receiver, vintage 2000, had a couple of "PCM digital inputs" with little square plugs to protect the jacks.

I checked up on both the TV and the receiver, and lo and behold, both devices used this fancy new digital optical thingie.

So I ordered this cable with the idea that, hey, it's only $5 if it doesn't work.

I had read the reviews already and I avoided the rookie mistake of leaving the protective caps on the ends. I plugged each end in. The stereo end went into the "DVD" optical input on the receiver.

Contrary to comments here that these cable ends sometimes fall out, I found that you have to give each end a firm push and they will snap pretty decisively into place.

No sound. I kept pressing the "Digital/Audio Mode" button on the receiver and nothing happened. I unplugged the stereo end to check. The end glowed red - so I knew that the audio (or something) was being sent from the TV.

I fiddled with the stereo controls for a bit and I stumbled into a setting that apparently paired two of the "source device" settings with the two digital optical inputs on the back of the box. Apparently this receiver supports a wide array of input types, including some that are now obsolete, like magnetic disc, so this is a configuration item that wasn't very obvious.

Once I did this and selected DVD for the optical input, I pressed the "Digital" button and the display on the receiver changed to say "DVD DIGITAL". Some new status lights I never saw before came on. And I got the TV sound!

I then changed the TV over to the Roku box. I got sound through the receiver without having to change its setting.

So, the moral of this story is:

If something's not working, you can take a quick look at the output end to see that a light signal is being output. (Different than wired audio where you can't "see" an active signal.)

Carefully and methodically check the mode settings of the device that receives the input. Sometimes the settings that enable this audio are rather complex.
VINE VOICEon December 30, 2014
When you need a Digital Optical Audio connection between two devices, this is perfect, and at a FRACTION of the cost you will pay at any big box store (I checked 5 well know major retailers). It is advised not to exceed 15' to 30' with Toslink cables due to signal degradation and the risk of damage to longer cables since they will not tolerate being bent or crimped.

Interesting side note....This Digital Optical technology was invented by Toshiba to connect their earlier CD players to their digital receivers/amps, for a clear digital PCM audio stream. Thus the name Toslink which originated from TOShiba-Link, and has since been adopted by most electronics manufacturers, as the standard for Optical Audio, sent over light waves (fiber optics), which are immune from RF interference from other devices or ground loops. And with the above mentioned distance limitation, it is best to use shorter cords if possible (not over 15') from your source to receiver.

One use that I have found to be indispensable is using these Toslink cables to link to an analog converter, to run digital sound from flat screen TV's or DVD players, through the converter, to several older model analog amps, which are still punching out incredible sound. So, if you are still using old analog amps with only RCA right and left channel plugs, you can buy a converter (Portta PETDTAP) to convert Optical and Coax digital signals to analog for input into old receivers. And since analog cords do not suffer signal degradation over long distances, you can use a short Toslink cable to the converter and then run as far as you want with your analog RCA cords, to an amp, without any problems.

Thank you Amazon Basics for providing affordable cables and connectors.
on January 12, 2015
I had never used an optical cable before, so when I ran into extreme difficulty inserting this cable, I wasn't sure whether it was my fault, the equipment I was using, or the cable. I was fairly certain that I was trying to insert it the correct way, but I just couldn't get it to go in all the way. I didn't want to force it too much because I didn't want to break it, but eventually, I just pushed really hard and got it to go in. Now, the audio runs through out audio system (from the cable box) and it sounds great. So, no complaints. I have used many Amazon Basics cables, and I have never had any issues with their quality. A good cable at a great price. I would recommend this.
on March 26, 2017
Bought it to replace the cable that came with the speakers thinking it'd be an upgrade. Well, it's thicker and feels solid when plugged in. However, audio crackles every 10 or so minutes. Frightened the heck out of me when I first heard it. Old cable had no issues. I checked and rechecked the seating. No difference. Not going to damage my speakers, and too late to return it.
The AmazonBasics TOSLINK cable is a great product. If you are unsure of what a TOSLINK is, it is also known as a fiber optic digital audio cable. The term TOSLINK stems back to Toshiba's invention of these for CD players.

I use a couple of these fiber optic cables for digital audio. I have one connecting my DVD player to my home theater, and one connecting my TV to my home theater.

I previously purchased a Monster cable, which I bought because of the name, plus it was a good price and was THX certified.
I cannot distinguish any sound difference whatsoever between the AmazonBasics cable and the more expensive Monster cable. Visually, the cables are the same size and thickness, except that Monster adds on a large head near each end with "THX" embossed on it. This is a cosmetic, not functional, difference. While the Monster cables are not over-priced, the AmazonBasics performs exactly the same, but for about half the price.

The AmazonBasics cable length is as advertised, it connects firmly into the jacks and it works as expected.

The bottom line: While it is true that manufacturers can use different quality optical fiber, ranging from cheaper plastic to better quality multi-stranded plastic fibers, or sometimes glass, at the end of the day this is a digital signal. So barring a malfunctioning/damaged cable, it either moves the light or it doesn't. So, save some money and get this cable. You will be satisfied with the quality and the sound.
There seems to be a corollary of Murphy's Law: You will have "x-1" of the cables you need to install any new piece of audio-video equipment. So if you are installing a sound bar or a new DVD player or a new TV or Roku box, you will NOT have the HDMI cable nor the optical audio cable you need to complete the task. This connected a soundbar to a TV and it is a sturdy cable--the ends are heavy to protect the thin and fragile optical glass strand that carries the light signal making the audio connection between television and sound bar.
on December 26, 2015
The cable feels like high quality, is nicely flexible, and produces a sound quality that is crystal clear on my system.

Just be sure that you take the little rubberized tips off of each end before you try plugging them in. If it doesn't snap you probably forgot to take the little rubber protectors off the end of the cable... like I did for about a minute. Once removed it snaps in perfectly.

The cable is high quality, long, and very flexible and has nicely constructed connectors.

And it is about 1/4 the cost of radio shack and best buy, both being rip-off artists on items like cables.My goal in life is to never buy overpriced cables.

The cable should look like the product picture (no rubber tips) before you actually plug the ends in.
on September 24, 2014
After recently having carpeting replaced, I reconfigured my home entertainment system. During this reconfiguration, I lost signal on one side of an audio selector that's fed by toslink cabling. After applying pressure in on the pc end of this cable, signal was restored. Fingers off, signal's gone again. To remove this cable from the Keystone wall plate jack, it took a yank, not the tug one might expect necessary, and the internal sleeve of the jack came with it. After receiving the replacement keystone toslink jack a week (through Amazon.com) later, and installing a different cable, all systems are go.
This makes two out of two of these Amazon Basic's toslink cables that have failed me. Counting the I-Phone/I-Pad cable with a connector that would not even fit in it's receptacle on the device side, 3 out of 3.
VINE VOICEon November 29, 2014
Another useful and reasonably priced accessory from the AmazonBasics product line. With so many devices that are not permanently connected to my network and home theater setup like differing speaker systems and headphones I always like to have additional cables on hand for the inevitable moments when the cable that you need is precisely the one you cannot locate. At the prices reflected with most of this product line for products of at least comparable performance to the name manufacturers it is easy on the pocket to have an assortment of different types sitting in reserve when need for one type or another arises.
on August 3, 2013
Build quality is excellent; this is among my favorite optical audio cables I have ever used. It is neither too rigid nor too flexible, while being firm and easy to attach at both ends. It has never given me the spotty connectevity that I've had with cheaper cables, where you have to constantly fidget with the cable to get the signal to go through properly.

If you need optical toslink, this is the best cable for the money that you can get. I have 3!

Using mine to hook up my Xbox 360 and PC to my Razer Chimera 5.1 headset and my Logitech z906 speakers.