Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  All-new Echo Save $10 on Fire 7. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

AmazonBasics Hard Carrying Case for 5-Inch GPS - Black
Package Type: Frustration-Free Packaging|Change

on June 27, 2012
I was expecting a smaller case just for the nuvi but I've found that it can accommodate both the nuvi (in the mesh pocket) and the power cord.
review image
0Comment| 148 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 17, 2011
The case is large enough to store the car adaptor cord and the 5" system. It is sturdy enough to withstand bumps.
0Comment| 107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 29, 2017
It will do the job. Jury's still out on whether I appreciate the elastic bands that keep the case from opening all the way. Thinking about cutting them. Otherwise the case is sturdy enough to keep your GPS safe (even though we've had stronger cases before). It has room to keep the USB cable in it with netting to separate it from the rest of the contents.
on March 30, 2017
This zipper case is padded on the inside and has a rigged outer core to protect my GPS from being damaged. I like how there's enough room inside to store USB cable and auto power cable as well. There's also a divider inside the case to keep the unit separate. The price is right so I'm wondering what else I can store in a case like this.
on October 4, 2013
Nice case. Great protection for any 5" GPS. Simi hard shell provides enough protection for daily use. Wish it had a handle, strap or something to hold onto. You basically have to carry it like a woman's clutch purse. Isn't wide enough to hold the suction cup mount for the Garmin 3590, so I improvise (See my user photo). Since the 3590's traffic cable is kinda bulky, I always end up with a slight bulge in the case. Still a good case for the price. But if I used my GPS more often, I'd invest in a better case.
review image
on January 1, 2014
This was adequate although much larger than I had wanted to buy. That would have been okay if it was built with a better padded compartment for the GPS and a separate compartment for plug, cables, etc. instead of a thinly separated space. So it really served neither the intended application of a pocket case to bring the GPS into a restaurant when traveling, which would have required no wasted space, nor enough extra and separated space to comfortably hold cables, manual, etc. without getting concerned about eh potential for the 12 volt adapter to damage the GPS Screen. I recommend spending then extra needed to buy the custom hard case for the model GPS you buy instead of this. I don't like messing with returns or I would have returned this.
on July 10, 2014
At first I didn't like this. I had wanted something more envelope-like that we could put the GPS in when we popped it off its holder so it would fit in my purse, or my husband's shirt pocket more easily, and this doesn't serve that purpose. But it's nice to put the GPS in while we're at home, or if I'm carrying a big bag, because it's so sturdy. We haven tried to put the other part, the part with a wire that sticks to your windshield, in it--it looks too small for that, and I've read other reviewers say it doesn't fit. So there's a lot of empty space in the container when we use it. Still I don't regret purchasing it.
on August 8, 2015
Semi hard case with two compartments separated by a soft elastic divider. The interior is a yellow orange color, with the "bottom" compartment being deeper than the "top", and fits the 5 inch Garmin Nuvi 2597 well. The divider is attached to the shallower top compartment. The case appears to be well made of good quality materials.
The case top is restrained by a pair of elastic strips attached at each end, limiting the opening between the two halves. Am unsure if that is a positive or negative... I have a nearly identically sized Case Logic case for an iOmega USB hard drive that opens flat, and I prefer that configuration for ease of access... If the strips create a problem, a couple of snips with a pair of scissors will cure it.
The case provides good protection for the GPS, with room to snugly fit the GPS, with the car charging and USB cables fitting nicely in the smaller top compartment.
There is not enough room in the case for the windshield mount. I also purchased the "sandbag" dashboard mount, and put it, the windshield mount and the hard case in a soft black zipper bag, providing storage, transportation and a place to "hide" the GPS on the car floor in a parking lot.
on June 24, 2015
My 5 inch Garmin GPS fits in with plenty of room to spare along with the power cable. It is not hard as a rock but hard enough to protect and is well made. The GPS slides in behind the sleeve with the screen towards the case (so it does not face the other side of the case where the adapter goes) and then in the bottom wider part you put the power cord so that the plug is opposite the thinnest part of the GPS. This is the best way to fit it in (I learned it when my wife put it in the case one day vs what I was doing.) The window mount cannot fit in. (At least I can't figure out how.) But for me, I only want to protect the GPS screen when I am on a trip and I put it away withing the vehicle. As far as cases go, it is really all you need and it is a bargain to boot. My Garmin GPS came with no cover at all (unlike the old days) so you absolutely need a case to protect it. I bought a second one for my daughter's GPS I gave her. I took off one star because the window mount cannot be stored inside but this is the same for many cases. Just being fare, it is not perfect. For me though I use another mount so it does not matter, but if you expect to get everything in (Window mount included) it isn't going to happen.
on May 3, 2016
Bought to hold my 5-inch Garmin GPS. The GPS unit with ball socket attached fits nicely into the mesh pocket located in the cover, keeping it from rattling around. The power cord easily coils up on the other side. The windshield mount doesn't quite fit due to the diameter of the suction cup base and a lack of space once the other two components are in the case.

This is your typical semi-hard case good for protection from miscellaneous dings in the car or your suitcase, and it makes it easy to carry the GPS from one place to another. Might or might not protect against sitting on it, and definitely not if it's stepped or driven on. It's what I expected, the price was right, and I think it'll do the job nicely.

This is my sixth or seventh AmazonBasics purchase, and I've been happy with all of them so far.