Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by Luke Bryan Electronics Gift Guide $54.99 for a limited time only Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on October 12, 2013
=============================
Comment added on 31 October 2013-

AmazonBasics lists three different antennas under one sales entry point but there are major differences in antenna size and reception. Selecting the right antenna will make a difference in the broadcast [OTA] signals your television set receives. My advice is begin by using this site

[...] [antennaweb dot org]

and follow the steps using the ZIP code for your location, and then choose which of these three antennas might work best for your local area.

======================================
I considered the Mohu Leaf products but decided on this AmazonBasics model because prior buys of AmazonBasics cables has proved their worth as a product line to me, saving 15 dollars over a similar Leaf was a plus. I used a zip code based search service to see how many channels are available in my geographic area, 18 in total. With the AmazonBasics amped antenna 16 is exactly what I receive after removing some duplicate non-HD repeater signals and learning two listed stations are private and coded. Excellent reception as I'm approximately 10 to 30 miles away from the originating signals.

Unpacking was easy as was connecting the cable to my television set, selecting channel signal type to "Antenna", and running "Auto Program". Bingo!, bright and clear picture and sound on the first try placing the antenna on an inside wall about six feet up.

I choose the amplified antenna because of my location and signal reception concerns, in hindsight I might have been able to use the AmazonBasics standard non-amplified antenna, but I went for the possible boost in reception performance for my location and distance from signals.

Very satisfied with antenna and results.

Konrad.
4949 comments| 1,677 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 20, 2015
The indoor/outdoor (“60 mile”) version is a darn good antenna… significantly better than the square/flat ones you hang in a window. First, when dealing with any antenna, there’s 3 golden rules:
1. Line of sight is key.
2. Connections and wire (coax cable) can make—or ruin—a good signal.
3. Re-read #1 and #2 again.
Use any of the free resources online, like antennaweb.org or dtv.gov (and click on consumer resources, then reception maps) will let you know if you’re a good candidate for over-the-air (OTA) reception, and the quality of antenna you’ll need. In my case, I live in San Diego on a pretty prominent hill with little obstructions – no trees, tall buildings or anything else nearby that would impede line of sight (remember #1 above) towards the transmission towers. I have two sets of towers about 15 miles north-west and south-east from me, and another set of towers about 19 miles due south (in Mexico.. TeleMundo, oh yeah!).
When I got this antenna, I tested it by resting it on the front porch steps and got a full 30+ digital channels. On the porch. Fast forward a few hours and after building a simple base out sections of 2x4s and weighting them down with a cinderblock on the roof (didn’t want to deal with risks of leaks by drilling into the roofing), the thing is rock solid up there and gets me 43 digital channels. Placement is everything and although the antenna isn’t overly sensitive to direction, having it going cross-wise perpendicular to where the 2 main cluster of TV towers are got the best results.
Side note: I hooked up the included “amplifier” and the number of stations dropped to 33. YMMV. I say, try running the channel scan without it, then with it, and go with whatever works for you.
On the second point, clean, quality cable runs of limited distance and minimal “connections” are your friend. Don’t piece sections of cable together with splitters. Avoid connections wherever possible. It’s best to spend $12 for a good quality 25-foot cable, than to use splitters to join 2 or 3 sections of cable. And use a good quality cable, splitters (only as necessary), and you should get a good result with this antenna.
review image review image
99 comments| 389 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 13, 2014
I purchased this antenna to receive the local channels after deciding to finally get rid of cable. I live within Richmond, VA city limits and bought the 35-mile version just in case i ended up moving further away from the city in the future. Currently, I live on the fourth floor of a seven story apartment building. The antenna came pretty quickly.

Most of the setup is straight-forward as the antenna and cable are one piece. The antenna is pretty flimsy and is made to be attached to the wall or laid out on a surface. You simply need to screw in the coax cable into the back of the TV and run a channel scan. Most HDTV's will have a built in digital tuner. The hardest part of the setup was figuring out where and how to position the antenna. The placement of the antenna can affect the signal dramatically. I tried four placements: (1) on the wall behind the TV, (2) laid flat below the living room window, (3) on the right upper corner of the wall near the window, (4) on the left upper corner of the wall near the window. I found the second option to be the best even though many people recommended to place the antenna higher up to improve performance. I also noticed orientation can make a difference. I rotated the antenna by 90 degrees and noticed an improvement in signal. The final antenna position is shown in the photo. When trying to figure out the placement, it is important that you re-scan for channels for each antenna position in case you missed some channels in the previous setup. Hopefully, you will only notice a difference in signal strength and not in the number of channels you pick up. I notice that I was able to "pick up" may one additional channel in a different position but usually the signal was too weak for the channel to display properly (this was ok as the station that was trying to be picked up was a DC station).

After scanning for channels, I picked up 19 channels including 7 HD channels. Of these channels, 17 have strong enough signals to display properly. The HD channels do come in pretty clear once i figured out the antenna placement. The signal for 6 of the 7 HD channels are fairly strong. My TV displays signal strengths for the individual channels and I get an average of 80% for the 6 HD channels.

Overall, I bought the antenna to watch HD broadcasts from the local stations (ABC, CBS, etc.) and this antenna did a great job of picking up the stations. The setup was easy with the hardest part being antenna placement. As I live in the city, the 25 mile version probably would have been sufficient. I would recommend this antenna to others that live a reasonable distance to a major city.
review image
11 comment| 90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 9, 2013
Could not be happier with the AmazonBasics HP flat antenna. This was just what I'd hoped for. After ditching Comcast cable 6 months ago and then last week no longer receiving even a handful of OTA, thanks to Comcast trying to strong-arm former customers by blocking the handful of local OTA channels. Btw, Comcast, hate you even more now; we are never, ever getting back together again. ;-)

So, I shopped around and decided on this AmazonBasics HP HDTV antenna, as well as one Mohu Leaf flat antenna (@ same price). We needed one for the downstairs den/media room tv and one for the upstairs master bedroom tv. I figured one of those two antennas not only do the trick but that one would be better. (Both were forehead slapping easy to install and set-up: plug 'n' play then run channel scan. Any issues, just shift the antenna a little this way or that until satisfied with the reception and picture on all the received channels. We pulled in @ 30 on both the AmazonBasics HP and the Mohu Leaf.)

When they first arrived, I hooked up the Mohu to the 4-year-old Sharp Aquos downstairs, since it's physically half the size of the AmazonBasics antenna and is more unobtrusive (it also has the shorter cable). I hooked up the AmazonBasics HP antenna to the small Samsung upstairs. After running the channel scan on each tv, to be honest, there was no difference whatsoever. Both pulled in the same number of channels, for us intownish big city single family home with lots of local stations, PBS and major cable network. We also have an ATV1 hooked up the lower TV and an ATV2 upstairs for streaming just about every channel we used to receive with cable, as well as some premium movie channels. What neither ATV did was stream local channels, which was why I got the AmazonBasics antenna and the Mohu. Now we're covered, receiving about 200+ channels between these indoor antennas and the ATV1 downstairs and the ATV2 upstairs. I cannot imagine being a cable customer again. Both these two flat indoor antennas paid for themselves in one month. Would buy either of them again in a heartbeat.
2525 comments| 1,088 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 14, 2015
We were reluctant to cut cable because my husband needed his dose of football. This is the perfect solution. The OTA towers are about 12-14 miles from my house and we live in northern NJ without much obstruction. I didn't want to spend a lot of money in case it doesn't work so I bought a "used" 35-mile range antenna from Amazon Warehouse and hope to just get the local channels. To my surprise, it picked up 51 channels. The used item works well even with a tiny scratch and I am keeping it. The only time we got static TV quality was when the kevlar balloon was flying around the antenna (aluminum blocks signal).
review image review image review image review image review image review image
33 comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 7, 2015
I bought the 60 mile antenna as I live about 30 miles west of St Louis. I replaced all of the bolts, nuts and washers with stainless steel. I also made a mounting plate from a white plastic cutting board so I don't have to paint or refinish it. TV scan picked up 30 channels. One shopping channel is choppy but all other channels and sub channels are absolutely crystal clear perfect. For a month and a half cable bill I have TV.
review image
11 comment| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 23, 2015
I live in Greenbrier County, WV and wanted to stop wasting money on cable channels I don't watch. With this antenna I was able to pull in CBS (WVNS) and Fox from 16.5 miles away and NBC (WVVA) and the CW from 58.4 miles away. I was not able to pull in ABC from 56.4 mile away but is on the other side of the Allegheny Mountains in Virginia. You can go to tvfool.com and do a search to see exactly what comes in at your address. My experience is that this antenna was able to pull in anything above zero in the NM(dB) column. Update Number One: I also noticed that for the far away stations pointing the flat part of the antenna in the direction of the station improved reception.

Update One
The antenna has now been permanently mounted on the eve and the house wired to connect our two tv's to it. I'm still very satisfied with it. After the full install I have a few more thoughts. First, in rural areas at the limits of its reception the direction matters. If I had a rotor would be able to add a station or two. As it is, I seem to have to choose between them.

Update Two
I added a RCA Preamp that I purchased from Amazon. It allowed me to bring in the stations I would have got with a rotor.
on August 17, 2014
I live on a military installation. Currently in a rural area about 5 miles from the nearest major city. I get about 10 Channels and about 5 are HD. Combined with Amazon Prime and or Netflix, Hulu and your favorite internet subscription this can be a great way to get your local channels without having to pay 30 to 40 dollars a month.

Make sure to put as high as you can on a wall and if possible on an outside window facing south as most satellites and radio signals come for this direction. Do a search for antenna lookup and this will help you figure out what channels you can get and which antenna is best for your use.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

I recommend this product.

If this review helped you please give me a thumbs up and let me know.
review image
11 comment| 185 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 27, 2015
I get 65 channels via this antenna. I do not get ABC channel though and some channels are blank or saying weak signals though. We don't watch much TV except for netflix or Amazon instant video so as long as we get Univision, PBS, CBS, and Fox channels, we are,ok with it. My area has hills and the towers are more than 15 miles from my house that makes it hard for us to get good signals. I put this antenna indoor behind the window. This amplified antenna definitely get better signal than the non-amplified flat/thin antenna I was using. Considering the performance and the price, I will give it 3 stars. Other similar 60 mile range antennas cost around that price range and I think they are all over priced considering how much it probably cost the companies to make them. Same for other non amplified flat/thin antennas that cost more than 30 dollars which I am sure it only cost them less than a dollar to make each one of them. Good profits for those companies.
review image review image
on January 28, 2014
A little background before getting into the review ... feel free to skip to the review below.

I haven't watched an actual TV program in years and only watch with the exception of local sports or if some "breaking news" happens. I don't subscribe to Netflix, Hulu, etc. at all either so my main source of media entertainment is by watching videos on YouTube or a website which provides me with daily uploads of Japanese TV shows. That said, after moving to a condo a few months ago, I hadn't hooked up any kind of antenna to my HDTV after misplacing the previous one I had. Although I barely watch any TV at all, I figured it'd be nice to have just in case.

[ REVIEW STARTS HERE ]
First off, some information for reference: I live in San Francisco, about a mile from downtown. I hooked up the antenna directly to the back of my HDTV and mounted the antenna onto an east-facing window. The window is on the second floor and there are tall buildings and trees in the immediate surroundings.

I purchased the Regular version and the one thing I immediately liked was the thinness and flexibility of the coaxial cable - just makes it easier to route and mount. After scanning once, I got up to 60 channels. I would say that out of those 60 channels, about 80% were watchable; that is, the channels provided a constant feed. The other channels were pretty scrambled so those are probably stations that are too far for the regular version of this product. Out of the remaining channels, roughly 10-20% were HD and all the local stations here came in nice and clear, in HD of course.

If you're in San Francisco, I'm sure you can easily get as many channels as I have (as long as you're not surrounded by tall buildings.) Please note that a lot of the channels are Spanish channels as well as Asian channels in Chinese, Japanese, and Korean. Entertainment-wise, there are realistically about 20+ channels (but of course it depends on what you enjoy.)

With this type of product it really depends on a lot of variables (mainly location) so of course everyone's experience will be different. However, if you only watch TV once in a while and want local channels in HD this works great in the city in my experience.