Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 6,774 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 7,076 reviews
on November 27, 2015
So I bought this one to use in conjunction with my PS4. The two ports there are just too limiting and I wasn't about to trust a simple non powered USB hub to do the job in which I was about to put this one in charge of. So once the hub was in hand I mounted underneath my desk using some 3 mm double sided tape and ran AmazonBasics USB 3.0 Extension Cable - A-Male to A-Female - 3.3 Feet (1 Meter) to my PS4. Now I have a Logitech G710+ Mechanical Gaming Keyboard with Tactile High-Speed Keys - Black, a Blue Microphones Yeti USB Microphone - Blackout Edition and a cable to keep my ASTRO Gaming A50 Wireless Headset charged. Keep in mind that I run the charging cable to the headset and still have the receiver plugged directly into the PS4, otherwise it will keep on beeping every few seconds forever and ever. I have a small cable connected to the extra USB plug in the keyboard for charging the controller in case of desperate need. All of that thanks to this simple and small hub. Definitely recommend this one to anyone that has a lot of peripherals that need to be connected to your PS4 console and to any other device. Will be buying another to hook up to my PC and mount it up front with ports facing out underneath my desk for easy connection for my phone, thumb drives and what not instead of using the ports on the pc case.
on March 11, 2014
This thing has so far done the job and is pretty fast. The only concern I have is the same as others who note that the 4 main pins (from USB 2.0 and before) are shaped in such a way that it would be extremely easy to catch on one and bend it back. I knew this before buying, hoping Amazon had changed their manufacturing in the meantime. they havn't changed it at all so I am very careful to slowly insert new USB devices into this hub. luckily that isn't often since I got this mainly to wrangle the 5 large capacity external USB drives I have gathered over the years. I have 2 pics uploaded which can be seen here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B00E6GX4BG/

Pro tip: if Amazon doesn't offer a link to upload pics just use the above URL and replace the last section (B00E6GX4BG) with the product number of the item you wish to review and/or just see customer pics of.
review image review image
11 comment| 79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 24, 2016
PROS
1) Nice stable flat design
2) 10 USB 3.0 ports, sweet!

CONS
1) With this device connected, I am seeing other connected USB devices to the main motherboard USB ports are disconnected during and just after BIOS POST. So I have no working keyboard during and just after BIOS POST, until the operating system starts to boot, whether Windows or Linux is booting.
2) On power down or shutdown using the operating system's commands, the computer will automatically restart after two to five seconds! A script within Linux will prevent this, "for i in /sys/bus/usb/devices/*/power/control; do echo on > $i; done"

Unfortunately with CON #1, I am probably going to have to return the device and buy another manufacturer's USB 3.0 hub. I've fiddled with other BIOS options, and nothing seems to resolve the missing attached USB devices during boot except unplugging this hub from the computer.

I have tried connecting this device to other motherboard USB ports, with different manufacturer USB-3 chips (ie. Intel, VIA, ...); and even playing with BIOS settings, still nothing seemed to resolve the problems. Either I've received a defective unit, or the unit became defective within a few hours of usage, I don't know. I'm shocked an Amazon.com device has this many problems, as I've absolutely never witnessed an Amazon.com device having such problems in the past. Amazon.com has always apparently had an excellent quality assurance rating up until my experience of using this device.

NOTE: Can't give the device just one star, as the shipping and boxing are superb. I'm thinking the problem might lie with bad capacitors (or similar) within the power supply or elsewhere. Maybe putting such a load upon the motherboard USB hub, other devices self-disconnect until adequate power is supplied through the USB-3 ports after the drivers are loaded? Think I'm also seeing the USB device being connected through USB-2 hub driver devices, instead of USB-3 hub driver devices. Shrugs.
on August 19, 2015
Hub works great, but it seems to be producing an unnecessary amount of interference with my wireless peripherals. Specifically, when connected, my bluetooth keyboard and mouse suddenly begin to go haywire, cutting in and out of reception (despite no changes to either of them). I've also started having wifi connectivity issues in my new location (previous location had 5Ghz hub, new place only has 2.4Ghz). All of these seem to be problems with the USB 3.0 interface, problems that were addressed in a white paper by Intel back in 2012. The paper was titled "USB 3.0* Radio Frequency Interference Impact on 2.4 GHz Wireless Devices" (http://www.usb.org/developers/whitepapers/327216.pdf).

Basically, this hub works great, but be aware that it has subpar components that might make your life more difficult. In my case, it meant a few hours of troubleshooting why my mouse stopped working, then trying to figure out why my keyboard kept disconnecting. The final straw was when my wifi stopped working (can't get anything done without a connection!).
44 comments| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 5, 2013
Ordered this 7 port USB 2.0 hub for use with the Raspberry Pi model B. With 4A this device not only provides a USB hub to the PI but also enough USB power to run it. The device can run the PI, charge a smartphone and connect many devices without trouble.

It's not in the description, and hard to imagine from the picture, but the stand can be mounted to the bottom or the side opposite the logo providing vertical and horizontal orientations.
on November 26, 2016
UPDATED REVIEW: I originally thought the item was defective. The fact is I was using it incorrectly. With the hub plugged into a computer, all ports work. Sorry for the error. Five stars!

ORIGINAL REVIEW: Sorry to write a bad review, but this item was pretty much DOA out of the box. The entire row of 5 USB ports on the back side were dead. I used a USB voltage meter to confirm. 2 on the side were OK. Returning for replacement. This was a shipment of a new batch after being out of stock for a month. Maybe they lost the assembly manual at the factory. ;-) Will update my review after I get the replacement.
on March 23, 2017
As usual, Amazon basics products come in very fast. I ordered it Monday afternoon, and it was delivered Wednesday afternoon.

The bad: It degrades my blue tooth headphone audio. No joke! It makes audio that comes out of my blue tooth headphone sound like landline quality. I think that the infamous interference is causing the blue tooth audio to reduce its communication bandwidth. As a result, I have to take 1 star off for my overall review.

The installation is very easy. There really is not much to it when installing an USB 3.0 hub except that users will have to identify available 3.0 port on their computers in order to take advantage of the full 3.0 USB features.

My motivations of getting this USB hub is because I had to switch to a new MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) at work and I hated the Apple keyboard. I wanted to keep using my Logitech G710+ mechanical keyboard as my main keyboard. Moreover, I want to hook up 2 external monitors and continue to use a wired LAN adapter. I have to use wired LAN because that's the only way I am allowed to change LDAP password at work when it expires. It will be a mess if I don't use wired LAN. Anyway, because I already used up the two mini display ports for monitor, I must use a USB LAN adapter. That leaves me with only 1 USB port. Obvious not enough for the power hungry G710+ keyboard which takes up 2 USB ports.

Anyway, this is how this hub satisfy my forever demanding of USB ports requirements:

1 for wireless mouse
2 for keyboard (1 for data and 1 for power. The Logictech G710+ uses two USB ports)
1 for wired LAN adapter
1 for phone charger (high power port)

This leaves 2 USB ports available for other devices. All connected devices are working flawlessly.

Overall, I am satisfy with this USB hub and the ability that it allows power demanding device to work simultaneously.

P.S. I have added the missing star. I rebooted the Mac and the perfect audio cam back. The machine was rebooted a few additional times, and the bluetooth audio sounded normal! So everything is working fine. Credit is due so I have to add the star back This hub is working in all aspects. Two thumbs up1

P.S 4 months later, both charging ports are dead. It's a 3 stars product now after I took two starts off from my original assessment.
on November 14, 2015
A perfectly good, perfectly functional 4 port USB 3.0 hub. Used it on mid 2014 macbook pro and a windows 7 machine, both without a single problem. Had multiple devices plugged into it, and used multiple devices at the same time. It's USB 3.0 so you need an external power supply, which comes with it, but you should know you'll need access to an additional wall output to power it. If having to plug the hub into a power supply is a problem then go with the USB 2.0 version.AmazonBasics 4 Port USB 3.0 Hub with 5V/2.5A power adapter
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on July 1, 2016
I ended up not using this hub for its intended purpose and it sat around for awhile. While getting ready for a trip I figured it would be great to take along to charge my devices rather than a mess of other adapters.

So I get to the other side of the country, plug it up, and then plug my devices in, and they aren't charging! Turns out only 2 of the 7 ports are actually powered! What is the point of a powered hub if not all the ports are powered?

Also the blue power light (what a joke!) is way too bright. Definitely something you don't want in a room when you are trying to sleep and the slanted surface makes it difficult to leave something covering it up.

I've been happy with my other Basics purchases, but this thing is just heading for electronics recycling when I get home.
on October 26, 2016
I purchased this for use with my Surface Pro so that I could plug in a USB 3.0 card reader and a USB 3.0 self-powered hard drive at the same time. My plan was to backup my photo cards to to the hard drive during an extended vacation. My hope was that being USB 3.0 and powered it would work with the single USB port on the Surface and have enough power since the power from the USB port of the Surface is so limited. I was never successful as the combination "choked" every time I tried to use it. Since I was only traveling with the Surface I never tried it with any other computer. I rated it three-stars since I suspect that my problem was with the Surface, but in any case, I was not able to use it for my intended purpose.