Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition $79.99. Limited-time offer. Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

AmazonBasics 7 Port USB 2.0 Hub with 5V/4A Power Adapter
Size: 1-Pack|Style Name: 7-Port USB 2.0|Change

on July 8, 2016
I wanted to set up an external display for my Mac with webcam and a USB port for a headset. To keep it clean I was looking for a small, powered hub I could velcro to the back of the display. This fit the bill perfectly.

I've bought quite a few AmazonBasics items and the quality has been consistently high. Their design is utilitarian, sometimes a big clunky but effective.

I like that the four ports are all along one side; makes them easy to reach from the side of the display. The power adapter cord is plenty long to reach down to my battery backup; probably 5' or so but I did not measure it.

The only "drawback" is that the USB pigtail is fixed, so rather than just using a long A-B USB cable it was necessary to get an A-male to A-female USB extension cord. Not a terribly big deal but it meant buying one; I have tons of long A-B cables just sitting around but no extenders of adequate length.

For my purposes USB 2.0 would have been fine but the price was right on this USB 3.0 and it lets me use a USB 3.0 thumb drive or other device without having to plug it into the Mac directly.
review image
on September 11, 2017
If you want a 7 port powered USB hub, this will do you. If you want to charge devices, I haven't found ANYTHING that the two "fast charge" ports can do anything beyond a "slow charge" (standard 500mA charge rate). I've tried both Apple and Android products, no luck.
Also, having the USB B (upstream) and power on the SIDE, and 5 of the 7 USB A (downstream) on the BACK, and the other 2 on the other side makes a very bulky footprint with cables coming out of everywhere.
on September 5, 2015
It will do...for now! I use it for my laptop, to hook up other external hard drives to my pc. It has a little lag, I am heavy into music and when I'm listening to music...It always pauses for about 2-3 seconds and then resumes. It's annoying!!! I read some other reviews on this and I ignored it...lol! they were right :)

I'm not returning because it's just a temporary fix until I get my new desktop PC. Then, it's just going into the trash. I don't recommend!!!

Pros: It works in allowing me to access my external hard drives and hook up a printer.
Cons: lags in pauses/skips my music. I have to unplug every single night because it keeps my hard drives on permanently (no way to shut off unless unplug) It doesn't shut off when PC shuts down.
on March 8, 2016
This 7-port USB hub works perfectly and provides stable connections for all the devices I have plugged into it. Those devices include wired keyboard and mouse, a combo USB DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) and headphone amp and an external USB hard drive. All those devices work just as they would if they were plugged directly into my computer, and the fact that it provides it's OWN power (AC-to-DC 'wall wort') means there's no stress or draw on my computer's power supply, which is a GOOD thing. It also looks nice and like a high-tech device. HIGHLY recommended!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon May 17, 2012
I had two portable backup drives connected to my computer, and they were attached to a USB hub since the rest of the slots on the back of the computer were full. They sat on top of my computer.

However, then I got a new computer, and since the USB slots on it were all the way down at the bottom, the cord on the USB hub I had was too short, and the backup drives had to sit on the floor behind the computer. Not good.

I was looking for a USB hub with good reviews that had a longer cord, found this one, and decided to take a chance on this one. I'd never purchased an AmazonBasics product before (I usually use Belkin USB hubs).

The hub was really well-packaged, in its own recyclable cardboard box, nice that there's no plastic packaging to fight with.

I was happy to find that the cord on this hub was long enough - the cord is over 9 inches long. Combined with the cord of my Seagate backup drive, that allowed enough length to let the Seagate set on top of the computer case.

It worked right away upon plugging it in, and it's continued to work flawlessly since then. I have absolutely no complaints and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one of these.
on July 2, 2017
Works well; however is a bit light weight and tips over easily. No matter, it d o Espinoza the job I wanted. One note, it states the two front ports are supposed to be for high speed charging; but, ever time I plug in my Alcatel Windows 10 phone or either of my Fire HD tablets, I'm given an on screen message that my product will charge at a slower speed and advises I use another port with proper specs.
Enthusiast: Minecrafton August 3, 2015
Nice.

Needed this as a solution to ensure all my gaming peripherals (Razer Orbweaver, Razer Naga 2015, Logitech K750) and Cooling Peripherals 3x 120mm USB fans all ran well with power.

Typical USB 2.0 port on my laptop outputs 12V @ 500ma. Was getting worried might not have enough power fueling all these devices.

Only after setting up everything, I realized that the external power adapter for the USB 3.0 HUB was really POWERING up the HUB.
What I mean is all my 120 mm USB fans were running even when teh laptop was off.

Knowing this, I removed all the Razer peripherals and used teh USB 3.0 hub as a standalone power source for my cooling needs.

May consider buying more in the future.
Enthusiast: Baseballon May 14, 2014
In an effort to make my work area less cluttered and less dependent on power sources, I decided to change my laptop's work external hard drive from a Western Digital Elements to a Western Digital Passport. I also picked up a new Kindle and wanted somewhere to charge it. My laptop only has 3 USB ports on it, one is used for my speakers, another is used for quick file loading from flash drives and the third had been occupied by my WD Elements external. I also live in area that has a fairly high amount of power outages. Being able to plug this USB hub into one USB port on my laptop and keep my external running (Passport is USB powered, not AC), is very important in the power outages. This little hub really is small and so far it has worked perfectly. So, I gained some desk room, gained 3 USB ports and have one less power cord plugged in. I'm really starting to trust and like these AmazonBasics products.
Amazon has a winner with this one. USB 3.0 hub at a much lower cost than the closest competitor. Unobtrusive size, and it works. I don't have a way of testing transfer rates, but I performed a comparison test between this one and a USB 2.0 hub. I noticed that a 10 GB file took longer to transfer than the USB 3.0 hub.

Edit 9/29/14 - Knocked the rating down to 3 starts because the 9 inch USB cable is great for use with a laptop because the hub sits on the desk or table, but is next to useless with a tower because most USB ports are positioned more than nine inches from a surface on which the hub can sit. It needs at least a 24 inch cable.
on April 16, 2014
This is generally a pretty nice hub. One thing surprised me, though: Even though I have the power supply connected all the time, this hub only charges connected devices when the hub is connected to a computer.

That's disappointing. I have a couple of devices hooked up to it at work and I like them to stay charged. Unfortunately, they only charge when my laptop is there, which isn't the case at night or when I have meetings.

Just a warning...