Industrial Deals HPC Rebound Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

I have previously tested the original AmazonBasics NiMH Precharged Rechargeable Batteries (in black wrappers) back in 2011. Recently I purchased a set of those new AmazonBasics NiMH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries (in white wrappers), because people kept asking me: "Are those rebranded 1st-gen Sanyo eneloop batteries?" Based on my observations so far, the short answer is "NO". But wait, don't leave yet!

I measured the capacities of those AmazonBasics AAA batteries, using my La Crosse BC1000 charger. Here are my findings:
- Right out of the package, the average remaining charge is 562mAh, or 70% of the rated '800mAh' capacity.
- After one recharge/discharge cycle, the average capacity jumped to 797mAh.
- After another 2-3 more cycles, the average capacity leveled off at 821mAh

The above behavior is consistent with my previous test results for original (1000-cycle) eneloop,2nd-gen (1500-cycle) eneloop and 3rd-gen (1800-cycle) eneloop cells. Note that just as in this case with AmazonBasics cells, all eneloop cells are charged to around 70% when they left factory.

Based on electrical characteristics, I believe that those white AmazonBasics cells are indeed rebranded Sanyo eneloop cells. But it is impossible to tell whether they are in fact 1st- or 2nd-generation eneloop. This is because to the end-user, there are no measureable performance differences between 1st, 2nd or even 3rd-generation eneloop cells beside their cycle life claims.

Because of the '1000-cycle' claim, most people would jump to the conclusion that white AmazonBasics cells are equivalent to 1st-gen Sanyo eneloop. My closer examination, however, suggested that they are more likely to be rebranded SECOND-generation eneloop instead.

Please refer to the picture I uploaded to 'Customer Images' section. Look closely at the positive terminals of those three types of batteries, and you'll notice the difference in their so-called 'vent holes' (the name is misleading because those openings are not actually used for venting):

In the case of AAA cells:
- First-gen eneloop AAA cell has triangular-shaped vent holes
- Second-gen eneloop AAA has vent holes with rounded tops
- White AmazonBasics AAA has vent holes with rounded tops

In the case of AA cells:
- First-gen eneloop AA cell has triangular-shaped vent holes
- Second-gen eneloop AA has no vent holes
- White AmazonBasics AA has no vent holes

Therefore based on their mechanical aspects, I have to say those white AmazonBasics cells are most likely rebranded 2nd-gen Sanyo eneloop cells.

Why would Amazon intentionally sell rebranded 1500-cycle eneloop cells as just 1000-cycle? The answer is Price Differentiation. Manufacturers often de-spec a product when it is sold under different brand at a lower price. Otherwise it will erode the market for their higher-priced brand.

What if I'm wrong and those AmazonBasics cells are 'only' 1000 cycles? Well, you could find out the difference in... TEN years. So for now, just pick whichever brand is on sale and be happy.
review image
5150+ comments| 1,779 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 14, 2018
If I had written this review right after I received these (like most people do), I would have given these batteries 4 stars. They seemed ok, but now 8 months later after minimal use, I give them one star because there is no selection for zero stars. I had just got taken to the cleaners on eBay for some Duracell rechargeables, so I thought I would give these a try. The first dozen or so charges, everything ok. The next dozen or so, not too good. Now they will charge up, and even show charged on a battery checker, but leave them set for two days under no load and they are dead. They will no longer hold a charge. Maybe I am asking too much, but I am one that believes rechargeables should last longer than 8 months, unless they are used heavily. Mine was not used much. And I trickle charged them each time to get the most out of them. I do not recommend them, unless you are ok with having them last 8 months. I will not rebuy. The Duracell that I got scammed on lasts better than these.
22 comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 14, 2017
I've been reading so many reviews on Amazon for too long and realized that I sill didn't know what AAA rechargeable NiMH batteries to buy (3 out of 4 of the ones I'm looking at have well over 2,000 reviews with a greater than or equal to a 4.4 rating! No wonder all those reviews still left me scratching my head because so many reviews across all the batteries with such a rating are just that well written!) I finally came to my senses and found a great article on the Internet that actually represents my and possibly your dilemma over picking the right rechargeable battery. It's so short and sweet. The answer is between all 4 brands (i.e., AmazonBasics, Energizer, Eneloop, and Duracell), there is practically no significant statistical difference and because of that fact, they recommend that we just buy whatever is the cheapest at the time we are buying. (The study is from 2017 and they did rigorous testing on the batteries)

Amazon policy disallows links to sites outside of Amazon. The best I can do to direct you to said article is this: Do a google search for the following exactly as I have typed it, including quotes:

"The Best Rechargeable AA and AAA Batteries" site:thewirecutter.com

As of the time I am writing this review, the article is the first search result from Google. If you are using other search engines, you will likely have to leave off the: site:thewirecutter.com
Just use the title of the article and make sure you land on thewirecutter.com web site.

I am against any compensation via discounts, coupons, or any other cost break for giving reviews. This review is my true experience.
0Comment| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 29, 2017
*************** UPDATE 5/2/2017 *****************************************************
I'm not getting the advertised capacity (800 mAh, 750 min.) with the batteries I received !!
-- One group of 4 is giving me 715 to 730 mAh after 3 charge/discharge cycles.
-- The other group of 4 is giving me 715 +/- mAh after 2 cycles.
And with no improvement in either group over progressive cycles. The capacity should increase as
the "new" wears off but things don't look good for that.

These things do deserve the 3-Star (or less) rating I initially gave them. I forget the details of all the generaions of this
type battery so I don't know what THESE are but I don't think they're what's spec'd in the item description & picture.
*****************************************************************************************

As of 4/2017 -- the AAA rechargeable batteries I just received were NOT the white in the item picture but black with a green band at the top. BUT they are labeled "Made in Japan" IAW the description. Still I'm not pleased that the carpet didn't match the curtains, so to speak, since the black AmazonBasics battery variant made in China doesn't have such a good reputation and I was worried until I saw the Japan. The capacity labeled on the batteries is 750mAh, which is mentioned in the current item description as the "minimum" capacity. That description also says the capacity is 800mAh -- I'll be back if I can't get at least that from them.
on December 23, 2016
Just in case there is any confusion, and there might be given the product picture at the top: These batteries are white with green leaves on them, as in the picture that is lower on the page if you scroll down. I just received four of them to verify that the lead picture is not accurate. And these white Amazon basics AAs are labelled "made in Japan" (mine were manufactured in May 2016) So you can have some confidence that they are indeed re-branded Eneloops. Amazon just needs to correct the lead picture. Great batteries at a reasonable price!
UPDATE: I ordered eight more last week and those batteries are black (as pictured). The black ones I just got are also labeled made in Japan. So for whatever reason some may be white and others black but both, at least the ones I received, say "made in Japan" on them.
on January 23, 2017
These hold a charge for less than a day, where other brands in the same device will work for weeks. Whether they're not charging all the way (they report being 94% charged), or what, I can't tell, but they're certainly not working right. 94% to 2% in less than 24 hours of use in my mouse? I've used at least 6 other rechargeable brands in my mouse and gotten months of use before needing replacement.

Just horrible.
on January 30, 2018
I love these batteries and I love that Amazon keeps changing the printing on the casing so I can just about tell which year I purchased reinforcements. ;)

The only downside is that these batteries aren't great for slow-drain applications like smoke detectors, thermostats and wireless mice. Much better, however for quick use and recharge, like camera flash and children's toys. In all applications I find that a non-rechargeable battery would perform slightly better/longer, however, to save the planet, these batteries are perfect for all but the most demanding, critical applications. I'm going into my 6th year using my first batch of these batteries so long term storage and re-use have definitely saved me money.
on December 20, 2016
Bought these to use for battery operated Christmas decorations. Both AA & AAA. Had to charge them before using, which was a huge dispoointment. I used them for small button sized prelit wreaths. The batteries lost juice in less than 2 weeks of evening use at 2-3 hrs a night of energy conserving bulbs. I've been trying to charge all day today, leading into Christmas weekend and they're not charging. HUGE disappointment. Now, I need to buy more batteries, but this time it will be a local retailer and that new that will already be ready for use.
on December 2, 2017
This review is for the AAA & AA combo pack (8 of each set).

Although I won’t say that I like these better than the Eneloops but I do think for these are reasonably priced and are good quality rechargeable batteries. These batteries are the black type made in Japan. The AA’s have 2000 mAh capacity and the AAA’s have 800 mAh and although they aren’t as high capacity as some brands, these are fine for most uses. Although there is some debate about the black versus white Amazon basics, I also own some white basics and have had no issues with those either. I will say the quality of these are better than the off-brand batteries. The batteries came pre-charged and most were near full capacity. For most uses, these batteries work perfectly fine for what I need. Time will tell if these last as long as the Eneloops and I will update my review if I notice any major issues with the batteries long term.

4 stars
on March 13, 2018
The product came in a frustration free paper box, as shown in the attached photos. They where made in 2017/10. The batteries are made in Japan, and has a rated capacity of 750mAh.

I popped four of these these straight into my old LaCross BC-900 battery charger to test. They were partially charged showing a uniform voltage of 1.34V (or around 89% full). After one cycle, the capacity reads out to be 762/805/788/821. After around 4 cycles, it improved to 821/802/827/847. Note that the LaCross charger doesn’t always give consistent results on mine, but it’s a good idea about the range of capacity, which are significantly higher than the rated 720mAh.

There were many speculations that these are regular Eneloops (as opposed to the pros which are rated 900mAh+). It’s not the first time this has happened, and I have purchased similar rebranded Eneloops in the past (such as some old Duracell NiMH). The fact these are made in Japan limits the number of suppliers available, and that they hold over the stated capacity is also something that’s almost exclusive to Eneloops. Finally, it’s also said that while Panasonic owns the Eneloop brand, Fujitsu still has the right of production, and have been making them for the likes of Amazon, IKEA, Duracell, etc.

At half the price of regular Eneloops at the time of this writing, and possibly even less when on sale, these are truly the best bargains out there for the finest NiMH available on the market. While it can be argued that the Eneloops are probably worth the ever higher asking price, it’s impossible to overlook that these are very likely the same goods for much less. Seeing how other cheaper NiMH tend to fail to perform, and having used Eneloops and their rebranded cells for over a decade, I’d say these are quite the bargain if you are in the market for LSD NiMH rechargeables.

Lastly, there are also higher capacity variants available from AmazonBasics AAA High-Capacity Rechargeable Batteries (4-Pack) Pre-charged - Packaging May Vary, which along with Ikea Ladda are supposed to be the Eneloop Pros, in case you might need those as they rival Alkaline in capacity and endurance.