Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Russell Dickerson Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on August 19, 2015
This charger was a big disappointment. As the attached picture shows, it charges my Nexus 5 at a rate that is just under 0.5 Amps, which is very slow (see picture on the left; the blue number is amps). I've also attached a picture showing my Nexus 5 connected to the stock charger, which charges it at twice the rate. After returning this, I bought the Anker Quick Charge 2.0 18W USB Turbo USB Wall Charger and it puts out the max amps to my Nexus 5! http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q88Q16K?
review image review image
on March 23, 2015
Because I travel a bit I bought 2. Always handy to have a spare. When unplugging it from the wall, the charge splits in half. This is dangerous because it exposes the bare internals. I would NEVER let my kids use this charger. I asked for a replacement, but I am concerned the new ones will do the same thing. I am not even sure I want to open the second one I bought.

Update: After 1 year, almost to the day, the charger has died. No red light and no power. Called Amazon because their Basics products have a one year warranty. Getting the run around because it is a replacement for a previously failed unit. The previous unit was the one that split in half the day I got it. Net very helpful at all.
on May 12, 2015
I purchased this item July 5, 2014 and it arrived in a timely manner and worked properly. Then, less than a year from purchasing it (May 12, 2015) it simply stopped working. All I had done was leave it plugged in next to my bed, plenty of cable slack and no stress- no storm or apparent reason, it just suddenly stopped charging. I tested the Amazon cable that came with it, and another cable, as well as my iPad 1st gen charger, and it was made very clear it was this item. I really like Amazon, but if their reasonably priced alternatives do not even last a year under light regular use, that gives me pause.
review image review image
on December 30, 2012
This is a nice little charger - I like its size and packability, and it's now one of the items to be found in my 'go bag'. I've given it a five star rating because it performs as well as any other high capacity charger I've seen, my only real complaint being that the description on the Amazon page leads one to believe that it will charge everything at a 2.1 amp rate.

iPhones and Android devices will limit themselves to drawing no more than 1/2 amp when charging unless they detect that they're hooked up to a charger and not a computer USB port. This is because computer USB ports generally aren't rated to supply any more current than that. To get around this problem a charger has to be internally wired to let devices know it's safe to do a fast (high current) charge. There are two common methods to do this - one is specific to Apple devices, and the other is more friendly to Android devices.

Out of the box, this charger appears to be wired for Apple devices, meaning Apple devices will take as much of the 2.1 amps as they want, while Android devices will charge at a slower 1/2 amp rate.

There are a couple of solutions for Android device owners.

1 - Consider getting the "Amazon Kindle PowerFast" charger instead. It supplies 1.8 amps of power, and my Android phone detected that it was being fed by a charger and not a USB port. The down side is that it costs twice as much as this charger does.

2 - Consider getting a charge-only USB cable to use with this charger. These cables cannot be used to transfer data, and they contain the internal connections that tells the device it's connected to a charger. Just make sure you don't use one of these cables to connect your device to a computer's USB port.

3 - It's possible to modify many chargers to be more Android friendly if you know what you're doing. That's what I did with this one, and now my Galaxy Nexus properly detects this unit as an AC charger.

I ordered this unit hoping it would fast-charge my Android devices, but finding out that it didn't I modified the charger rather than return it. If I were to need any more Android-friendly chargers, I'll probably just order a Kindle PowerFast charger next time.
66 comments| 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 25, 2013
After 2 months of use one of the prongs came out of the charger and remained in the wall socket...thankfully it has a plastic base on the prong so I was able to safely (?) remove it. Amazon did work with me on the issue (as usual, great customer service), but I would not buy this charger again!
review image
on March 29, 2015
This is my first time writing an Amazon review, only because I'm really concerned about the safety of this product. While removing the wall charger from the outlet, one of the metal pieces broke off and got stuck in the outlet. This is serious stuff. I'm asking Amazon to recall such a dangerous product.... BUYER BEWARE!!!!
review image review image review image
on May 7, 2016
I bought this about 6 weeks ago from Amazon. I've used it about twice. It looks nice and plugs fold down securely to be compact. The light continues to work, but the last time I tried to use it about 2 days ago, the phone didn't recognize that it's supposed to be charged. I tried another cord and another outlet but it still didn't work. It now has a rattling inside that I didn't notice before. It hasn't been dropped. Since it was so cheap, I don't think I'll deal with the hassle of trying to return it.
on May 28, 2016
I recently bought a 2nd generation Kindle Fire HD and found that none of my chargers had the power to charge it, except the charger that came with the original Kindle Fire. This one has 2.1 amps and charges up the Kindle Fire without any problems. I like its slick design. It works with the cables I bought for the chargers that don't work, so I now have several cables and 2 chargers. I also bought the Kindle Fire 5 ft. USB cable to go with it. (See the review for that.)
on May 3, 2014
I purchased this charger for use with my 7" Kindle HD. The reviews that I read seemed rather positive, HOWEVER, when I connected the charger to my Kindle, it took several hours to fully recharge my device, which is the same amount of time it took when I used my small Smart Phone charger which is rated considerably lower in output Amps. This prompted me to try charging my Android Smart Phone with it. When I connected the charger to my phone, a message was displayed on my phone stating that it was charging in "SLOW mode". WHY? Furthermore, there seems to be a bad connection in the folding plug. If the charger isn't PERFECTLY positioned in a 120 Volt receptacle, the LED goes off and the charger ceases to function. I will probably return this charger for a refund.
UPDATE 11/03/2014 - This charger should be listed as UNSAFE. In spite of its slow charging rate, my wife and I continued to use it until, one day, I unplugged it from the wall receptacle, and one of the folding blades remained in the receptacle, exposing my hand to potentially lethal voltage and current. I had to switch off the circuit breaker in order to safely remove the exposed blade from the receptacle. I really can't understand how it got a "UL Listing" when the blades of the power plug can be pulled out of the device with such little effort.
If it were possible, I would change the rating to ZERO STARS based on the unsafe design of the power plug.
on January 31, 2016
Buyer beware! When I went to unplug the charger from the wall outlet, one of the prongs remained in the outlet.
review image