|Print List Price:||$15.99|
Save $11.00 (69%)
Ambassador 2: Raising Hell (Ambassador: Space Opera Thriller Series Book 3) Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
I do not write about the story line/plot or the characters, I think you need to read the book and make your own judgements on those things. What I will write about in this or any other review is how much I enjoyed the story and that I would or would not recommend it.
Well in this case, please note, I very much enjoyed this book and the story it tells and I would highly recommend that if you are reading this, then you are just the person that needs to acquire and read this story and I highly recommend it for what that is worth.
Ms Jansen is great at building the world her characters inhabit. The traditions and mores of the various races are fantastic. The races are wonderfully defined, even better than in the first book. Extending the internal political structures of the Coldi was magnificent in this book.
Here's where I debated calling this a 4 star book: There were too many plot twists that were similar to Ambassador 1. I won't go deeply into them, but as they say history doesn't repeat itself but it rhymes. I thought too much of the overall flow of the story rhymed with Ambassador 1. Not the same, but similar.
One suggestion for readers. If you're planning to read the entire series, invest the time in taking some notes about the characters. I found myself several times in this book trying to remember who a character is when they reappear. What is the relationship between this character and others? I know Ms Jansen can't repeat herself continually to remind us who a character is, but I found myself struggling to keep various (especially female) characters clear in my mind. There are getting to be a lot of characters. Not a GRRM cast but getting formidable. And I'm sure Ambassador 3 will only add to the count.
But don't let my quibbles about plot points or my bad memory for characters deter anybody from reading this book. It's my favorite series of the year thus far. I really loved it. The world building alone should be a textbook on how deeply authors should think about their world before the first character is invented. It's obvious Ms Jansen spent untold hours creating her world before starting the series. And it was work well done.
Raising Hell follows on from Ambassador: Seeing Red. It's the second book in the series, and it moved the story right along.
It was great to reunite with the characters I'd become so fond of, and see their relationships develop. I really enjoyed learning more about the complexities of 'gamra' and the multi-tiered 'associations' formed by the Coldi.
It takes quite a bit of skill to develop a human, but not yet human species and make it hang together. Cory, the main character was once again a great read. I've lived in the Pilbara in Western Australia, and Patty Jansen truly captured the excruciating discomfort of overheating. At points in the story I felt as if I was back there, working hard in the baking sun and feeling the fluid being sucked out of my body by the unrelenting heat.
It's great to see a clever author writing good Science Fiction.
I'll continue to read Patty Jansen's stories, and as five star reads, I'll be reading them more than once.
I can't wait to see what happens with Cory in the next book.
You've got to read this series, especially if you love Sci-fi.
Most recent customer reviews
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers & Suspense > Military
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers & Suspense > Spies & Politics > Conspiracies
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers & Suspense > Spies & Politics > Political
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Colonization
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > First Contact
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Galactic Empire
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Space Opera
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers > Conspiracies
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers > Political
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Colonization
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > First Contact
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Galactic Empire
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Space Opera